Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
alright so my theory is nazi dad is gonna fight with Peacemaker and at some point in the fight a butterfly(possibly the queen, qill escape the cop body) burrow up Robert Patrick's rear end in a top hat killing him in some body horror way and then peacemaker shoots the Queen when she does the smile, probably ala scanners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

People really want death to only happen to nameless mooks, once the audience knows your name you're supposed to have plot armor
personally I appreciate that the show treats death seriously

same. i genuinly felt bad when sophie died and i hoped dumb partner cop would get lucky but nope. least odo suffered badly.

Relevant Tangent posted:

if they wanted to come in peace they could've parasitazed great apes
they chose not to, so gently caress 'em

yeah. that being said. i suspect that mur is lying on some level and there are/were multiple factions of butterflies and he is the last of his faction and it wasn't just the "peace" faction. idk, i am mixed. then again its loving clear that he is telling the truth on some level because the butterflies just killed like 50 people in an episode. its clear everyone except peacemaker is lying out their rear end about motives and poo poo.

its why i love this show because i have been genuinely surprised through out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i love how the episode goes from funny to just super loving dark at that moment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i loved it but i am disappointed how fast the nazis died and how quick daddy went out. i was hoping for checkovs rear end in a top hat but nazis getting owned is always good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VagueRant posted:

I'm down for the internet to fall in love with Song/Goff and want an insane twin reveal in season 2 BUT I do feel like the guy who plays Murn isn't getting enough credit.

"EVERY TIME I TURN AROUND, ONE OF YOU IS DOING SOMETHING hosed UP!" is hands down one of the best cuts/deliveries in the show.

yeah his actore is genuinly great and i love how much range he can do with facial expressions. like when peacemaker yells at him that Odo was a psycho, you can see him visibly upset about it because he legit didn't plan for the dude to be a wannabe joker

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

But don't we spend the whole movie seeing that they're not all bad and that they can become friends and do good?

It seems to me that Gunn tries to portray them as villains but also that they have redeeming qualities, and I don't think he's always able to pull it off.

This is why Vigilante doesn't work for me. He's introduced as an immoral psycho, and in this case he might be on the right side, but he doesn't better himself and it feels weird that the audience should be on his side.

i mean i think he will have more growth in season 2 but he is very clearly supposed to be the comic relief character.

https://twitter.com/davi_a86/status/1495045282857463808
https://twitter.com/davi_a86/status/1495044740013776910

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I agree with this. Gunns stuff is very much self aware and keeps winking at the audience. The characters feel more like joke machines than real characters BUT interspersed with this you sometimes also get legit emotional scenes and such, which makes it work, like with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Most of the big comic books have ridiculous premises but play them completely straight, with a couple of exceptions

i feel like Gunn knows when to transition from joke to "oh gently caress"/genuine emotional moments. peacemaker is full of them as is guardians(2 more then 1) i think he knows how to hit moments just right with this kinda stuff to make you feel poo poo. plus he is really really good with needle drops.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

The sorta ideal way to do comic book media is basically like the DCCW or even BtAS/StAS where each series/movie does their own thing more or less independent from the others and only references the others when relevant or in a big silly crossover. When Marvel set up their movie universe, it was done in that same way. Separate movies that hinted but not directly acknowledged each other until the first Avengers came out. Even in phase two, things were still kept largely separated and joined back up in Age of Ultron. Then it started getting a bit muddier and overindulgent. The same could be said about the DCCW after Crisis too (Batwoman's lead and the failed pilots for Arrow spinoffs didn't help as well).

A lot of this "is it canon? is it not canon?" is basically old hat to people used to comic books and retcons and reboots. Ultimately the canon is fluid and whatever the writers and runners say is canon.

i feel like gunns gonna keep stuff conected but mostly loosely. i wouldnt be shocked if authority in superman movie is created partly because Wallers daughter shot task force x in the head on live tv, so waller wants a new monster team she can control, which i assume doesnt work out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

the prequel movie is p good and John Cena actually gets to act for one scene and def rises to the occasion

sorta on topic of that. I genuinly love how much range cena has in sucide squad. you can see him realize that its all hosed and he just killed flagg and is clearly lost in his own thoughts and then rat catcher grabs the disk and he just snaps back to default mode even though you can tell he doesnt really WANT too. you can see him wrestling with himself to spare rat catcher but he is too hosed up to turn the switch off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Exactly. If they just kept The suicide Squad/Peacemaker and reset everything else and never mentioned anything, no one say anything or care. Franchises do this all the time, (Horror movie franchises were notorious for it).

Movie audinces aren't stupid. They'll follow. That or they're the type of audience that's permanently confused by everything always anyway, so :shrug:

yeah i think the implication is gonna be "the lovely suicide squad movie happened to some degree, a batman and superman exist as do others, also superman movie has a loose ties with the peacmaker show because its fallout from task force x getting shutdown and replaced with the authority or etc". i dont think Gunn is gonna do the "this movie/show leads to this" its gonna be more like how guardians of the galaxy movies tied in with marvel, they show up sometimes in other stuff and also their are some threads from other media in them like thanos showing up in 1".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1766846713917063569?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

Um…what?

I guess this is because the Justice League shows up at the end of season 1. But this is confusing. Is season 2 a reboot? Is it just a matter of canon not mattering at all on the show? (Most likely this.)

who knows or cares.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

that scene is me but probably being mad about something way loving sadder then aquaman.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Me either.

The second Suicide Squad movie was a genuine blast. The rest of the DCU (DCEU? The gently caress's the difference?) movies just don't seem like fun.

they are either overly serious and grim or they are basicaly shittier versions of what the MCU did/does.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The first Suicide Squad works great as a series of totally disconnected set pieces, just absolutely not as a single movie.

You can find all the scenes from the movie on youtube and I was really surprised by how fun they were. But, start putting them together and it's just bad.

i still love how that movie just doesnt understand needle drops and making a song work in a movie. like it just doesnt. Gunn actually does know how to do it and honestly might be one of my favorite directors because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLk1mCFLRS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhc3CinJHYY&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wonder Woman and the Minions both in the same cave waiting out Hitler.

i was always rubbed the wrong way by the first wonder woman movie because ww1 is such a loving tonally stupid place to put a cool power fantasy. like yeah gently caress imperial germany and lol that she killed lindendorf or whatever. but it has that lovely trope i hate in alot of movies where it will show the hero loving annialating dozens of randos but then when they have the chance to kill like a legit awful person, then its suddenly time for mercy. like your killing a bunch of conscripted teens but you wont kill the very clear future nazi who makes VX gas. like lol

whats funny is james gunn does that trope but makes it work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQChd-nf9A