Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

exquisite tea posted:

There's still a ton of poo poo to pick up but now you can just send everything to your stash without worrying about going over. So there's no reason not to just hoard everything you see.

oh thank god

i was a little apprehensive about people saying that HFW significantly overhauled combat but going through the list in your last post it mostly sounds like genuine improvements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean in HZD the only thing i got sick of was trying to get perfect triple mods, i actually enjoy having to hunt certain machines for certain parts, because machine hunting is far and away the best part of the game and having any flimsy extrinsic reminder to do it more often is fine with me

i guess i'll see how it goes

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

is there any way to put the weapon wheel ammo crafting back on LMB where it belongs

also you currently can't bind tab to weapon wheel (the menu will let you, but when you actually press tab it just opens the map) but i assume that's an outright bug and not just a poor design decision

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

do you ever get an upgrade so that firing the Sharpshot Bow on the move doesn't degrade your accuracy or is that just how it works now

e: just saw the skill at the bottom of Infiltrator -- next question, does it remove the penalty or just reduce it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

How do you exit the number code entry menu? (Like for locked doors.) There's no on-screen indicator, and ESC, the interact key, right click, all do nothing.

e: i just looked up the answer online, good thing they don't actually require you to have already found the number in-game. this port's better than the first one in terms of performance but the UI is a complete shitshow, and it's even weirder because it keeps loving things up that the first game's M+KB control scheme did just fine

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 23, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Here are some more random gameplay tips for people that want them:

- All valor surges make you invincible for the entirety of their animation, so you can use them in a pinch to survive a deadly attack or getting blown up by a plasma explosion.

is there any way to disable the animation? they're like five times longer than they ought to be

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

a dril in the leg

so long suckers! i rev up my bristleback and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the mesa floor

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

another day volunteering at memorial grove. everyone keeps asking me if they can gently caress the soldier holograms. buddy, they don't even let me gently caress them

i am selling eight beautfiul, extremely ill, mechanical triceratops. they no longer recognize me as their farmer, and are the Burden of my life

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The game has significantly more RPG-esque stat progression, some of it baked into the skill trees, some of it into weapon upgrading, and some of it into universal mechanics. If you're stacking as many bonuses as possible you do ridiculous damage, to the point where some returning large machines might die even faster than in HZD, but only if you're engaging with the Diablo 3-like gameplay loop where it's like "okay if you're standing in a fairy circle hopping on one leg widdershins firing energy-type bullets at a grass-type enemy you get +10% damage" which leaves you really pigeonholed, while flexibility and not having to think about that poo poo comes at a cost in potential damage output.

Honestly I'm finding it really unsatisfying even now that I have a busted endgame weapon. Every system in the game is just slightly worse and more annoying than it used to be. I wish I could just backport throwing spears and the more aggressive machine AI and throw out basically everything else they changed.

e: a lot of what's wrong is really subtle things with the controls; knockdowns last a little longer, there's a weird delay after firing before your aim circle starts to shrink again, long dodge roll got removed, the new climbing mechanics mean Aloy is constantly getting stuck to surfaces when you were just trying to walk, Sharpshot Bows got punished for being too universally good in the first game in a way that doesn't make them weaker but does make them way more annoying to use, the multi-arrow nocking skills introduce way more aim variance, the ammo crafting menu stops registering button presses if you slide from one ammo type to the next -- everything is like this. it's still more Horizon, so objectively speaking the result is still a pretty decent game, but it constantly invites comparison to something that just felt better. the Nioh to HZD's Soulsborne.

e2: also i will never understand what made them think that whistling was too good and had to go, but the Smoke Bomb is fine. conceptually it's too cool for me to completely hate it but being able to just interrupt any machine attack pattern you can't be bothered to learn to dodge feels like a crutch. if it were up to me i'd probably have split the de-aggro tool and the parry/interrupt tool into two, but on the other hand the game is already overloaded with unnecessarily complex redundant systems

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 25, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

i regularly completely forget smoke bombs exist because dpad down is the call mount button and that muscle memory ain't changing :colbert:

(yes playing on hard is giving me some trouble without potions why do you ask)

i mean i'm not really any better, occasionally i'm like "oh yeah i forgot you can ride machines in this. gross. who would want to do that? it reduces your turn rate!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

please tell me there's a way to invert the W and S key behaviors for flying mounts and it's not another missing keybind :negative:

e: okay phew there is, it's just inexplicably under "controller" even when you're using m+kb controls

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the quest item in Runda's Rations fell through the level geometry, is there any way to reset this so i can actually finish the quest?

e: well at least the game has robust autosaving

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 29, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Falukorv posted:

reload a save, or fast travel away and back to the quest area and let the piggy sniff it up again.

fast traveling didn't work, so if anyone gets the same bug just save yourself some time and grief and reload

on an unrelated note: is there any way to make flying mounts steer to camera like land mounts do?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this game good?

It's like a small step down from Horizon Zero Dawn; if you liked the first game, it's more of it.

There are a lot of little nagging annoyances that didn't have to be there and weren't before (why is everything a hold-to-activate input for no good reason? why are there a million redundant ammo types? why did fire get nerfed to death while frost is still the god-king of status effects? why is Aloy's knockdown recovery so slow? etc.) but none of them are enough to ruin the experience unless you were extremely on the fence already.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 31, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

all knowledge of good game design was lost with Apollo, so the only board games the tribal peoples know about are Machine Strike and Monopoly.

they don't have any sports, either, except for the Quen, who play golf.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any other settings in the game that affect the drag / pan speed of the world map? I could have sworn it was faster either before the most recent patch or before I made some adjustments, but I don't know what could have changed to affect it.

e: i reset everything and something did the trick. best guess is something in the "controller" panel is being inherited when it shouldn't be but who knows

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 5, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the weapon modding system is really poorly thought out in general. just false choices top to bottom.

which is kind of weird because outfit modding works in a much more sensible way where outfit choice dictates most of your bonuses but you get to tweak or combine a little bit of a second playstyle into whatever the armor itself promotes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The mount controls are comically awful. My raptor just completely stops upon hitting even slightly uneven terrain. When I try to loot a machine while mounted (which is technically possible), it'll suddenly leap over it.

Just very frustrating all around and only really useful in wide open areas or roads.

for how incredibly cool horse archers are as a concept, it's incredible that not a single game with both archers and horses* can make it fun. even Fromsoft dropped the ball.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the game would be better if you removed the crafting/upgrading/gear scaling elements completely. Horizon Zero Dawn was way more fun on NG+ when you could just completely ignore that aspect of the game (except for a last few marginal mods maybe) and i expect the same will be true here

Medullah posted:

Or let us craft our own weapon with the 3 ammo types we want on it. But no, I'm sure we're gonna get "This bow has Sharpshot Arrows and Improved Sharpshot arrows. This one has Improved Sharpshot arrows and Improved Improved Sharpshot arrows"

although if you MUST have crafting this is a way better idea than the incoherent grab bag of elemental distribution in HFW's existing weapons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i think it's hunter bows, not sharpshot -- the Marshal Hunter Bow with its mathematically optimal mods outperforms Death-Seeker's Shadow with the same by like 12% on average, but only if you assume you get the full overdraw and concentration bonuses on the Marshal Bow 100% of the time and also that you completely ignore the "damage against shocked / burning" and "damage against knocked down" conditional bonuses

it also assumes you're bothering to measure hunter bows by their impact damage in the first place

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

12%?!! What are the Mathematically Optimal Mods for this?

knock yourself out

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/ttw2bv/death_seekers_shadow_vs_marshal_hunter_bow/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

having less stuff is a point in HZD's favor

HZD also has:
- sharpshot bows that work properly
- long dodge roll
- much more sensible distribution of weapon elements
- you can get perfectly optimal mod setups without cheating in two NG+ cycles total instead of 5+
- better ammo economy, even on UH
- simpler / more elegant UI
- better traversal simply by virtue of not having the "climb anywhere" ledges to get stuck on
- no Clamberjaws or Clawstriders

the downside is you lose out on the Spike Thrower and big machine variety

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

While I don't agree with everything you said this is probably the only one I don't understand. How are they not working in HFW for you?

There's an accuracy/bloom penalty for firing them while moving. There wasn't in HZD.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 28, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This just seems like you tried to force them into a niche that they're not meant to fill.

I get the impression a lot of Zero Dawn players went into FW treating Sharpshoot bows like "the damage-dealing bow," while it seems like the game wants to limit it to different niches (like long range stealth attacks, beginning fights with strong tear attacks, or big powerful hits to weak points).

Yes, and the Zero Dawn players are in the right. :v:

The Sharpshot bow is still far and away the best damage-dealing bow. They didn't make it weaker, they just made it more annoying to use. If they wanted a different weapon to replace it as the primary damage-dealing weapon, they should have made another bow that deals actual damage.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 28, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

isk posted:

skill issue

Getting bluffed by lovely UX into not using the best weapon for the job is a skill issue, yes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Warrior Bow does really good damage though (and so does Sharpshooter bow, you just have to do things like "freeze the machine and then stop to line up a shot at a weak point" instead of just using it as "the bow that is stronger").

i will admit that while i've experimented with most of the weapon classes in the game, i have probably not given the Warrior Bow the chance it deserves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't know why Plasma just isn't "repeat all Impact damage received after a delay." It would still be worse than Freeze overall but the delayed damage would have some niche applications.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I would put Slitherfangs and Tremortusks both in the top tier of "new good poo poo," although Slitherfangs are probably more impressive from a technical / animation standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I completed a challenge tougher than any ultra-hard fight in the first game: Completing the Strike From Above hunting ground challenge in Plainsong, due to the fact that the button to deploy the glider so I can do the move needed to complete the challenge is the same as the button to grapple to the vantage posts.

On PC you can bind a separate key for this, although IIRC it isn't set by default.