Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vampire Panties posted:

Between HFW and GoW2 coming out, seems like I'm now officially in the fight for a PS5. Ugh.

hosed up to put all these games I want to play on a console I can't buy unless I want to fork over $800-900 on Ebay. It took years for HZD and GoW to come to PC, hopefully Sony's recent interest in the platform will expedite those ports to some degree but I'm guessing they're still counting on these games to be big console sellers. At least give me Returnal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

exquisite tea posted:

- Most people agree that the game is about one rung harder than the difficulty levels in Zero Dawn. So in other words, if you completed ZD on Hard, that would be more like Normal here. I would not recommend going any deeper than Very Hard for a first playthrough, as Ultra is kind of intended to be the NG+ difficulty.

Is it at least possible to play through on Ultra or is it one of those settings where the weakest enemies take 10 minutes to kill unless you already have maxed out weapons on NG+? Ultra offered a decent challenge in the first game but I'll stick with Very Hard if they've done that this time around.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

"All my gear was lost because of something something and also I forgot how to whistle"

Too bad, I abused the hell out of that in HZD. Whistling was too powerful and had to be removed for balance reasons.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

M31 posted:

Also, holy poo poo, this game is very pretty

Yeah. HZD was already graphically impressive but the PS5-ification has stepped it up a level.

Struggling through Ultra Hard, people weren't kidding about it being difficult but it's still been manageable so far. drat near everything one-shots me but as someone fighting AI-engineered weaponized robot animals with primitive weaponry that seems appropriate. Aloy defeated an ancient weapon platform possessed by Hades to save Meridian, then died a few months later when a gopher automaton threw a rock at her.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Stealth is even more viable because you can use smoke bombs to reset invis mid-combat and eventually get as many as 12 of them with gear. Combine that with the valor surge that triples your damage with silent strike and you can do like 2k damage per stab. Fun!

Also a 1200 damage AOE shock blast attack in the middle of the stealth tree for whatever reason which has been helping me in some difficult situations.

Eyud posted:

Game still owns, and the port runs great.

Yeah, HZD was one of the worst ports I've played at launch and crashed countless times during my first playthrough. They were diligent about releasing patches and it's mostly flawless now but it took them a while to get there, Forbidden West has only had one CTD for me so far and performance has been solid from the start.

Would strongly recommend anyone with a 2000 or 3000 series Nvidia GPU download the dlssg to fsr3 mod to enable AMD frame generation when you're technically not supposed to have it, I'm still running a 3070 and it's given me enough of a performance boost to run everything at Very High with a consistent 60+ FPS. Some people seem to have negative opinions about frame generation but I've used that mod in several games now and it's basically a "download more FPS" meme but real. With Nvidia Reflex enabled I can't notice any difference in input response and the generated frames are indistinguishable from real ones.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I tried this but turning on frame generation forces on NVIDIA Reflex which gets me to a sub-10 framerate most of the time, and a very choppy 60 the rest. any idea why that might be?

You should be able to have Reflex and Frame Gen on at the same time without issue from my times using it, not sure why enabling both at once would tank performance. The main thing I've seen in troubleshooting forums is that enabling/disabling Vsync or locking framerate can have dramatic effects on how well it works. In every game I've used it I'm running an unlocked framerate on a Gsync enabled monitor and turning Frame Gen on will roughly double FPS with few noticeable downsides. Gsync/freesync might have something to do with it but I haven't been able to test it any further than how my own system reacts.

I see a lot of mixed reception to the mod but it's worth fiddling with a bit to at least try and make it work. It's a day and night improvement in my case, the only issue I've had with it was in Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora where the UI clearly wasn't intended with FSR in mind and there were obvious tearing lines around every UI element instead of a subtle blur. Haven't seen anything like that in Forbidden West and whatever artifacting the frame generation is introducing has been slight enough that I would have to freeze frame to point out inconsistencies.

Digital Foundry did a video on the mod about a month ago which is where I first learned about it, they break down the benefits and shortcomings much better than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlHq_EuxFU

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 26, 2024

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Going to write a complaint letter to Hephaestus for putting so many cannons on this turtle.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Falukorv posted:

if you have unlocked the skill that allows for that setting. But i dont remember, before being able to set them to aggressive, what is their default stance? Are they just on Defensive before then, or is it a inbetween stance? I somewhat recall overrides before the skill not being quite as hapless as the Defensive setting while still lacking some of the iniative of Aggressive, but dont remember that clearly.
Defensive is more like Passive

Haven't unlocked that skill yet and they seem passive by default. Had a quest recently that ended with a fight against two widemaws and two scrappers, I stealthed around and hacked both scrappers hoping they would help out against the widemaws but they just ambled about doing nothing, not sure they even threw out a single attack between them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

going by my own experience whether it works or not is unknowable because the game decides on a whim whether it's going to perform well or not in the first place. sometimes i'll launch the game and it's 100+ fps for over 3 hours, other times I've got 15 minutes or a single load screen before The Judder begins and I have to quit out. no amount of fiddling with display options, graphics options, drivers, nvidia cp settings, overclocks, the FSR mod, etc. etc. seems to do anything to change that luck factor, and this is the only game that does it

the port seemed good at first but my estimation of it is going down the longer this goes on, it's really frustrating

I think it has a memory leak or something. Thought the occasional poor performance was related to Alt+tabbing out and back in but I think it just degrades the longer you leave the game running. Was having trouble against my first Thunderjaw fight since it was getting a bit framey in the ~20 FPS range, restarted the program and it was back up to ~100 in the same location.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

This snake killed me so many times the game started telling me to revert my save to before I entered the cauldron.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Come on game, you're really not going to show me the hosed up mutant Ted Faro in the depths of his bunker? He's been in there for 15000 years and then you just have some faceless goon kill him off screen immediately? And I don't even get to kill the dumb cult guy myself?

Game has been good up until now but they dropped the ball with that last sequence.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

MH Knights posted:

Wasn't it Uncharted 4 where Nathan was looking at his reflection in a bathroom mirror but it wasn't actually a "real" reflection? The reflection was actually "mirrored" versions of the bathroom and Nathan character model (complete with mirrored animations) on the other side of the wall. That was cheaper than trying to do an actual mirror.

Was this how the Duke Nukem 3D mirrors worked in the first game?

Caught this happening in Cyberpunk recently. The game bugged out for a second and as I went to look in the mirror I could already see the duplicate version of myself standing there waiting to look back.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

okay, gently caress it, i hit the sparkers a few times and got an explode overload from that. why is the game even recommending bothering with purge? i guess as a "but aha, if you want to do this quick, secret strat!" thing. anyway, gently caress purging the thing. that doesn't make the other element overloads last longer, does it? doesn't seem to noticeably so

Nearing the end of the game on Ultra Hard and don't think there's been a single occasion where I've found purge useful. Frost is the only status effect that really seems worth the effort and even then only if the enemy is already weak to it, if I have to build up a separate status effect beforehand just to clear resistances it seems like my time would be better spent shooting weak spots with precision arrows.

I've cleared the first hunting ground since it was relatively easy but put off the others, hopefully there are ways to cheese the more annoying ones. HZD had a hunting challenge where you were supposed to shoot the cannons off a Thunderjaw and use them to kill two Ravagers, or you could just override it and watch as it stomped them both to death and you'd clear it anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How do you generally play on Ultra Hard?

Very carefully. In general:

- Crouch walk through bushes until I can overload something and have it fight the other enemies
- Blow all my weapon stamina using Braced Shot for ~500 damage each
- Clear out whatever is left with drill spikes and precisions arrows, maybe inflict frost first if they're weak to it

Would probably be worth the effort to track down some better weapons, I've been doing sidequests and errands as I come across them but the only legendary I have is the warrior bow from winning all the races which isn't all that remarkable. Mostly I've been using a fully upgraded blue quality drill spike launcher which I got from an Oseram sidequest halfway through the game. The spike ammo is kind of expensive but the drill spikes do great tear/knockdown at the same time, against Stormbirds particularly I can keep them stunned on the ground for almost the whole fight.

Still requires learning all the enemy attacks since you'll inevitably end up in a situation where they're all Apex/humans or you don't have the necessary overrides yet. For fights with multiple enemies don't neglect melee, a charged heavy will knock down most small robots and then one or two critical hits will finish them off and allow you to focus on the main threat. With larger robots just about anything can kill me in one hit regardless of what armor I'm wearing so it's still a lot of Dark Souls type gameplay where I'm relying on perfect dodges to get out of the way in time. They did a good job with the power curve where it's felt challenging the whole way through but I can't point to any encounters which were really unfair. The cauldron snake killed me probably 50+ times but that was just a matter of bashing my head against it until I got the perfect run.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

:pcgaming:

Died a million times, almost everything one-shot me for the whole game, had tons of health and enough elemental resistance that taking the time to proc them generally didn't seem worth it. Did all the side quests/errands, all the fighter pits, every machine override besides Razorspine/Fireclaw, only one of the hunting grounds since the requirements for the second one looked annoying. Still a few things to mop up like rebel camps and black boxes, the boxes don't seem all that valuable but maybe there's a special reward for clearing all the camps. Like the first game fighting humans was never as enjoyable as fighting machines but the improved melee and combos helped a lot. Tried to use shredders multiple times but generally combat just felt too hectic to really engage with the sub-game of catching the disk and throwing it back repeatedly. Ended up mostly used spike throwers and a purple precision bow along with the Nora armor that gives a bunch of concentration bonuses. Never engaged with the arena to get the legendary gear but the handful of level 1 legendaries and upgraded blue/purple equipment was good enough.

Glad they went with a proper final boss this time instead of a miniboss with increased health and adds. Ran into a bug where my inventory was draining between reloads and ended up without much besides a warrior bow to slowly plink away 30-40 health at a time but I made it work. All its attacks have clear enough tells that I was able to dodge everything and get a perfect run even if the fight still took about 20 minutes.

Story was mostly well written but never reached the heights of the first game, no scenes equivalent to the reveal of Zero Dawn or Faro killing the ALPHAs. Mainly I thought Far Zenith were kind of a letdown. The only one with any personality is Space Tilda Swinton and even then she's a bit flat for a millennia-old superhuman. Buzz cut guy is a boring grunt and I can't remember a single thing Gerard said despite him being the leader of the whole operation. These people have modified themselves to live for thousands of years and traveled between stars, they should be all hosed up and weird at this point.

The Ted Faro part was silly and they probably should have either skipped it or played it differently. In HZD humanity was destroyed because of his arrogance in a way that felt relatable and realistic, HFW making it explicit that he retreated to a sex cult bunker and slowly turned into a Gil Alexander mutant over the course of 10,000 years is hard shoving his character into the realm of cartoonish. At least that section was short and mostly self-contained.

Dipped my toe in the DLC enough to see BIG FROG but might wait a bit before really committing to it. I enjoyed the base game but there was a lot to get through, feels like I could have finished HZD twice in the same amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

That fight against 3 was rough.

Took a break from my Ultra Hard run about a week ago specifically because of this fight. Need to go back to it and power through, it's just a side quest so there probably isn't even anything good waiting at the end.