Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"Why does the number 1337 keeps appearing in your communications?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't even know that official strategy guides were still a thing. It's like finding out that sports illustrated's swim suit issue is still being published.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Oh yeah baby, can you feel that excitement in the air? It's hype season!

4 Days until the digital preload becomes available.
7 Days until the review embargo lifts.
11 Days and we'll all be playing Horizon Forbidden West!

Let's gooooooo

I usually finish a game before starting a new one, but I don't think it's possible for me to finish AssCreed Valhalla in such short time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really hope they fix one small thing though: I don't want to hunt after foxes in the hope that they drop enough loot to make the special fast travel pouch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I just pre-ordered.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

PS4 combat looking good! Look at that little icon in the bottom left. :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/Guerrilla/status/1491804153894490112

All I can think about that clip is "that's a cool outfit to put on Aloy".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That definitely looks like we get to ride a flying robot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Anyone else in the plan on playing on PS4? I was iffy about it at first but seeing the screenshots / videos it looks incredible, even better than GoT which I didn't think was possible.

Its not like there's much choice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1493434884953559040

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Leathal posted:

Eagerly awaiting PS4 trip reports itt.

Got to the Daunt and no problem so far. I read that the loading time is bad but so far AssCreed: Valhalla have longer loading time than this game.

Impressions so far:
They made a statue of Aloy! Avad is still thirsty for Aloy. Sylens is still a condescending rear end in a top hat. The slitherfang was really fun to fight.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 18, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, I can totally picture Aloy sitting and whittling herself a little miniature to use in the Machine Strike game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really like the idea of the entire East just closing the gate to the west and let the western tribes kill each other. It's like Hadrian's Wall. It's also fun that the western tribe chose ot embrace the whole Mad Max aesthetic and way of life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hades, an rear end in a top hat to the very end:allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Death's Door: Oops! All Aloys! I really hope that the Beta-Aloy actually have some personality and survives:ohdear:. I also find the futuristic gang interesting, astronauts versus cavemen! The game continues to look insanely good, especially Plainsong which looks like something out of LotR

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Something I discovered about the Shellsnapper: Its ridiculously vulnerable to acid traps. In the quest with Talanah (and it was really fun to meet her again) I took it out using only acid traps after repeatedly getting my poo poo handed to me in direct combat with it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

For some reason I could just not get this jump to work:
https://i.imgur.com/BJocZZZ.mp4
I tried so many times until I got it almost by accident.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

general word of advice. collect all those little cliffside flowers you see. they're for dyes for your armor so if you wanna play dress up with aloy you'll need a decent amount

"If"?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So far one of my favorite moment was when the names of the land gods was revealed: You first meet one after Death's Door and learn that it's name is Re. Which is is completely reasonable name for someone that is revered. Then you learn that the other land gods are named Fa, Do, and Mi.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You can learn from a data file when you're climbing the satellite dish to get to the first Tallneck that that's what the guy who ran the facility nicknamed the dishes.

I think it's a good example of how a little joke became something that was considered very significant during the thousand years of the reboot of human civilization.

Sakurazuka posted:

I never even considered using melee on anything other than humans lol

So I've only used melee if a machine is way too close to shoot at.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Is this game just straight much harder than the first one? Even on Normal (which I bumped down from Hard) Scrounger is just tearing me up with its basic attacks. I don't remember them being this much trouble.

I actually think it's a bit easier this time. Even the fight in Death's Door, usually I find boss fights where you can't kill the boss but have to solve a puzzle while constantly being attacked frustrating, but this one wasn't that bad..

A little annoying thing: During the set pieces you don't get to controll Aloy, it's"just" a cut scene.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

that fight was my first "nah, this isn't fun to retry anymore, time for temporary story mode" thing. it'd have been okay if you maybe just had to solve an environment puzzle, but having that puzzle require you stare up at the ceiling, unable to see and avoid the boss, made it insufferable.

I did a few retries of that fight, gave up and went to sleep. The next day I nailed it in one attempt. What saved me was that I remembered that I also had health potions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well maybe I wouldn't have to shoot all the animals if their innards weren't so darn useful :colbert:

Not all the innards. Like, what am I supposed to do with a pristine fox skull? I can't even make it into a hat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Cutscene Aloy: oh no a poor fox caught in the blight

Me Aloy: a fox, shoot, shoot, shoot!

Cutscene Aloy: oh no, a fox I didn't manage to kill before it was caught in the blight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

goblin week posted:

You can exchange those for purple animal materials with some traders. Either Bulwark or Stonecrest

I honestly expected to be able to do more with a pristine skull. Arthur Morgan would've used it as belt buckle or something.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Aloy would beat up Arthur Morgan and steal his lunch money

Aloy would try to cook up a cure for tuberculosis and then feel really bad when it didn't work.

Death's Door: https://i.imgur.com/4Avgfre.mp4 I really like how Aloy goes from "loving nailed it:smuggo:" to "oh god, what have I done:ohdear:"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

Though in seriousness I'd wager it translates to Clawstrider somehow

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

One thing I will say about the Forbidden West is that after all the descriptions in ZD suggesting how weird, wild and terrible it is out here, I'm actually thinking it's all a lot nicer and more pleasant. The tribes and people met out here so far have been really quite sweet and welcoming.
One village denied me entry. One person said "you're very intrusive" and a guard just brushed me off with "I don't know you". So your milage might vary I guess.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the Dying Land and:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Decided to fight the game's first tremor tusk after spending almost every metal shard (had one left) one a cool oseram outfit. Luckily the area had enough metal shards lying around to make it possible to craft arrows.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Erend gonna bring back edm and pizza!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

God, that second verse quest was a bitch to get through. Then after I finish it I realize it was level 25 quest and I was on level 22.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really know how I feel about there being a base in the game. On one hand there's not really use for one and it seems that there only is one because that's what every open world game does now. But on the other hand you can completely ignore it and npc's seems to do all the decorating and it's fun to listen to Varl and Erend argue about music.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of the new world cultures. I just finished aether and: The Tenakth is basically a cargo cult based on the US military. Stuff like the Kulruth can be explained by them watching displays that talked about how the soldiers kept in shape with training by staging combat amongst themselves. Even the tattoos they get is based on the tattoos the soldiers would get to mark victories and camaraderie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just finished Sea of Sands: It really is really pretty. And the narrator was also funny. Also, only Aloy would get in a fight with someone that's essentially herself. Played enough Seeds of the Past to meet Alva. Seems like the quen might come from an unspecific european country?
Also finished the Gates of the Vanquished quest: killed my first thunderjaw. I sided with Yarra in the end. I liked that there wasn't a clear choice. Drakka seemingly was ready to let his tribe die as long as he got to be the leader. Yarra seems more aware of the cost of leadership but she's also willing to let her tribe die in order to remain as leader.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 5, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Drakka annoyed me from the beginning because he made me fight a Thunderjaw when I was totally unprepared and already out of ammo from the last fight. Pulling before the MT is ready = You Die!!

I honestly didn't find that fight too hard. There's a lot of heavy guns lying around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Aloy kept pointing those out but I couldn't see them anywhere.

I found them near cars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished Demeter now I'm off to rob the tomb of Ted loving Faro:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reached San Fransisco and the quen definitely is from an unspecific asian country

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked the Talanah sidequest. In the end nothing is really resolved and nobody is really happy. Except for Ritakka who gets to be truly free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ulio posted:

Oh ok good to know it isn't just me, thought maybe its the ps5 acting weird but I didn't get this in any other game/app.

Btw I know people here complained about the shellsnaper, that poo poo is just badly designed the more I think about it. He is a giant turtle who is faster than most lightweight robots, is covered with armor except very few spots, has long range bombs and can create icicles. I know this was in the first game but I only played that in normal so I don't remember having much difficulty, the hardest thing in the first game was the dlc final boss T rex flamethrower robo. Playing this game on very hard, this bastard literally you have to play flawless or try to use precision bow to hit his spots but even that takes forever.

I fought one as part of the Talanah quest and acid traps really hosed his poo poo up.

exquisite tea posted:

I think she purposefully darkened Aloy's voice in this game to sound more like Sobeck, which I think was an intentional choice to show how she's trying to follow in her footsteps. I don't think she sounds rough though, at least not anymore than she was in Zero Dawn.

I honestly thought that the game was bugging out for a minute when I heard that voice.
I've also encountered the split second black screens (playing on ps4), so far the game hasn't crashed but I get really nervous every time it happens.