Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
cross from the pc thread

victrix posted:

Shillup review is out, he loves it

Stay away if you want to go in totally unspoiled on environments etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdFGdR28Gp8

key takeaway is within the first 3 minutes: "i could mount machines to travel faster, but almost never did"

good to hear that guerilla has still yet to figure out a good use for all that mount traversal code they spent so much time on early on. now i just need to know if rocks are still there, soaking up a valuable tool slot, and just as useless

im torn between waiting for this on PC or buying a used PS4 that i intend to resell in a couple months, given that i have a pitiful 970 and would be surprised if i can get a better GPU for a reasonable price barring massive (and unlikely) regulation of cryptocurrency mining by the time it's ported. the nicer graphics do look real drat pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
frozen wilds is imo the best part of the original. the sidequests are universally better animated, acted, and written than the base game, and the new machines make combat encounters that'd probably become routine much more interesting. it's hard, but it feels really rewarding to master the new tactics it requires

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

drat, the PS5 can model peach fuzz? impressive

people in HZD often looked a bit... plasticine

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

What's the word on PS4 performance? It's not another Cyberpunk is it?

seems pretty much fine to me, looks better than HZD did on my (admittedly underpowered) PC

main downside is that i am much worse at aiming using a controller than KB+mouse, so combat isn't quite as fun even though the rest of the controls are better on controller

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

male nipple texture pop-in is incredibly unintentionally hilarious

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

The discourse around this game drives me wild because it is without a doubt one of the best AAA games of the last few years, one of the best open world games in a long time, and a technical marvel. Like it is amazing to me that people crafted this thing over the course of a pandemic and that in my lifetime I have seen poo poo evolve from loving text adventures to this.

And people are out there like “this game is rear end, Aloy talks to much!”

How did people get so fundamentally broken, lol

a weird complaint given that you can easily skip all the dialogue. all the plot's gonna be easily available elsewhere; if you hate dialogue that much, just mash through it and check the wiki after. idk why you would though, the sidequests now are all frozen wilds quality--i'd understand wanting to skip it if it was all at the level of the HZD sidequests, but it's actually good RPG poo poo now

aloy's "i gotta do this on my own! friends plz gently caress off!" shtick isn't great but im hoping it's more a setup for an "actually, the power of friendship is cool and good" turn later

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

Buddy, I wish that it was just about quest dialogue but I’ve heard multiple critics take the game to task because there’s too much incidental dialogue from Aloy. Specifically, people said that Aloy “solved puzzles” for them, something I haven’t seen happen in at least 20H with the game so far.

Like I guess I agree that it’s excessive - for me as a person who plays games like this all the time - but I’m also not an rear end in a top hat and I can see why they have Aloy comment frequently - it’s probably pretty helpful for people who don’t typically play games like this.

And it doesn’t detract from the achievement that is the game as a whole. Much like the multitude of idiosyncratic elements in Breath of the Wild don’t. That game had a lot of individual pieces that were really poo poo - but the package as a whole was a marvel.

oh lol, who tf is getting mad about that, unobtrusive instructions are a _good thing_

it's annoying when they (apparently? maybe im blind) bug out--aloy commenting on the use of bluegleam when none was round in frozen wilds comes to mind--but they're almost always fine. im not playing this game for the puzzles, i can play into the breach or w/e for that. puzzles in horizon are pacing breaks, not the reason you play the game

in unrelated news, gyro aiming is making not having a mouse a lot more tolerable, though it's real annoying in focus mode

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Cactus posted:

So I've played just past the first village, chainscrape, loving it so far. There are a couple of nagging issues though. The climbing is still really clunky-feeling compared to other games that have it, and it seems pretty arbitrary which surfaces you can climb and which you can't

The other thing, and I'm sure this is just a "git gud" thing on my part, but I'm having trouble with the gyro controls. Not the aiming, that's fine. It's the releasing of the shot. I just can't seem to let my finger off the trigger to fire an arrow without it moving the controller just slightly and throwing off my aim. Anyone got any tips for this, or is it just a case of "learn to be more steady?"

if you're not already resting your hands on your lap or something, that helps a lot. you don't need a huge range of motion for the gyro controls, and trying to move the controller through the air, like i did initially, makes it much less precise

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I actually think it's a bit easier this time. Even the fight in Death's Door, usually I find boss fights where you can't kill the boss but have to solve a puzzle while constantly being attacked frustrating, but this one wasn't that bad..

A little annoying thing: During the set pieces you don't get to controll Aloy, it's"just" a cut scene.

that fight was my first "nah, this isn't fun to retry anymore, time for temporary story mode" thing. it'd have been okay if you maybe just had to solve an environment puzzle, but having that puzzle require you stare up at the ceiling, unable to see and avoid the boss, made it insufferable.

coming into this straight after an ultra hard run of HZD has made me compulsively gather basic stuff constantly even though i no longer really need to--the game is less about managing your stash of ridgewood and healing herbs. i have a thousand ridgewood and several hundred berries that i am never going to get through in my stash

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 21, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Horizon: Fox Exterminator is an important and valuable part of the game and i will not hear otherwise

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

the one thing that is an annoyance on the PS4 Pro is how slow loading the map icons and shop/stash stuff is. you'd think the map would be cached, it can't consume that much RAM, can it?

took down my first thunderjaw, still tons of fun. they are profoundly stupid machines though, so willing to blast into a wall between you and them for a solid minute while you plink away at their giant prominent disk launchers

then i realized that the lock icon on the nearby tallneck meant i couldnt do it yet :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Didn't they apply tear in a sphere rather than on the contact point? For me they were a fire-and-forget tool to strip off components: you could fire them more or less anywhere on a stalker or ravager and with enough you'd knock off the stealth generator and cannon. You now have to aim for and hit the same component repeatedly, which is a lot harder.

plus i miss the BWOOOOOOOOOM sound

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How far into the story before you get the ability to clear the anomalous red growth? I'm in Utaru territory and wanted to clear out as much as I could before doing death's door but the red growth is blocking me on a lot of stuff

you get that tool very early

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

The early(ish. I'm lvl 13, a few missions in to the main map) game weapon progression is kind of frustrating and either there is something I don't get, or it just feels more bloated than the first game. Instead of just having bows that do all around stuff like a bow that does elemental damage, and a bow that does special physical damage basic bow etc. it's all over the place and I need a different bow for literally everything. The type of damage seems redundant and I have different bows that use multiple ammos.

My whole weapon wheel is full and it's mostly all crap, because the game doesn't allow you to attach a single coil to a weapon without upgrading it to max level, meaning all of my elemental poo poo feels completely useless atm. I can hit something 3x in a row with a shock tripwore and it's not enough to even get it near being shocked. So I have basically stuck to my normal rear end bow that does some extra tear damage and before that the starting bow.

Also haven't encountered any of the fun or really good arrow types from HZD yet. Where are my tearblasts and hardpoints?

generic hunting bow arrows are hardpoints, are they not? but yeah the lack of the basic weapon level progression from HZD makes choosing a loadout much more complicated in a not great way. getting new weapons is expensive and you can't exactly try before you buy, and then you have to think about which to sink upgrade points into :|

the but thou musts in the game are quite amusing sometimes. love the guard in the memorial grove yelling "YOU MUST USE THE CENTER STAIRCASE OUTLANDER" so you can properly trigger the cutscene. tried to do a chill "get all the tallnecks" bit tonight but then realized that the game will not, in fact, let you swim to san francisco. at least the little scene at treasure island was nice

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

It might have changed without me realizing it, but hardpoints were just regular arrows with extra damage and no downside in the first one. there was no reason not to use them. Maybe they just consolidated that and I didn't notice. Not 100% sure.

Either way yeah the way this game handles weapon progression is weird

the warrior bow has something that i think are the equivalent of the old hunting arrows, but i haven't really looked at them since getting one that has elemental

i wish handling coils were still a thing since i wanna make my op sharpshooter bow with fast draw again, but it looks like the only option for that so far is the green "faster reload" one you get from one of the quests

the burrower spine atlatl is some good poo poo

halfway through the AETHER quest and lol at Aloy being so giddy to do a 9/11 on the bulwark. i was initially like "wait, is Aloy gonna do a terrorism" before climbing up and thinking "oh, there's water freezing in the rocks that's going to break them, she'll convince bad chief to leave that way". but nope, Aloy did a terrorism

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

idk why the weapon details screen shows you info on perks (+1 Stealth Shot and such) but not ammo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress Stormbirds and gently caress quests that surprise make you fight the tougher enemies in ths game eith no warning.

Are standard ropecaster bolts useless now, enemies just snap them in micro seconds and I run out of ammo before I even get close to tying something down.

accidentally running into the GAIA Prime Stormbird trying to get to a vantage in HZD was hilarious though. machines kramering into your plans is part of the game's charm

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Kazzah posted:

Please someone tell me where the first face-painter is, I feel naked

after you install GAIA in the mountain base, in the bigass tenakth solar collector settlement right west of the mountain

in unrelated news, lol at Zo's offhand "i wish there were holograms of all these animals that used to exist" comment. if only there could be some sort of johto/kanto DLC so you can go back to HZD areas; she needs to see MONTANA RECREATIONS

today was the day of farming animal bits. the game kindly gave me a duck job site that as best i can tell contained approximately one duck and one fireclaw. i have concluded that jungle fireclaws are hard

it's nice to have BWOM arrows back; i can finally not be terrified of stalkers again

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 24, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Did they nerf Tearblast arrows in the game because that's disappointing to learn since their my main go to for dealing with stuff.

dunno about damage (someone else said it was reduced from HZD), but they're considerably slower to craft and reload than regular sharpshot arrows, and you can't carry as many as you can basic (though that's the case for all specialty arrows)

i haven't completed a single one of the new vista points. 3D puzzle pieces do not click with me. i also can't figure out how to reactivate them when i get the urge to try them again lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

funkymonks posted:

Has anyone gotten much mileage out of adhesive status? I have a couple weapons that use it, but buildup seems very slow and I just don't want to mess around with yet another status condition.

hell, i don't feel like i've gotten use out of any statuses. with the exception of fire, very hard seems like makes most of them so slow to build that it doesn't seem worth it to use elemental weapons, though exploding freeze sacs or whatever is good. purgewater and adhesive also seem pretty uncommon on weapons to boot. i bothered to lob enough sticky bombs into one enemy once before concluding that it'd have been more effective to just DPS it, though maybe it's useful for making it easier to shoot off parts

the plasma sharpshot arrows i found do seem to build up plasma quick enough (comically much faster than even using the "unload full clip" skill on a plasma bolt thrower), but it doesn't seem that useful of an element. maybe i haven't figured out how to use it effectively yet.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

finished the subordinate AI quests, i think DEMETER was my favorite--that NPC is great and it has the best backstory content, even if the boss was a pushover (i was overleveled, but still)

i am amused how i continue to breeze through the major set piece fights (with the exception of the death's door boss) while frequently getting torn to shreds in side quests and casual encounters. slitherfang NBD, but two ravagers i need to bring out serious cheese strats

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ran into a scorcher site on the way to a quest, decided to snag some ears. think i died about 10x to that goddamn 1hko melee attack that basically teleports it across the screen, accidentally rolling into it half those since it's so hard to tell what angle it's going at

coulda just taken the ears and ran while it was stunned, but that would have been dishonorable

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

even when they're repetitive or obvious i still like the informational voice quips. they're often unintentionally hilarious, today with Varl yelling "use acid arrows on it!" as i was being trampled to death during the first GEMINI fight. that was the second thing i turned down difficulty for, since that machine combo in that hard-to-traverse arena was quite lethal, and for some reason reloading on death was taking a solid 1.5m for some reason

quest before was great, everything Alva is a treat, the minor villain was hilarious, and i love that ted faro transformed himself into a cronenburg tissue blob feeding off a nuclear reactor

my gear acquisition is all effed up, i have a ton of fancy shot-off machine parts, but i am starved af for small machine cores so i can't use them.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

How do you increase the number of berries you can carry, I upgraded the pouch but it didn't do anything? Is it a skills? Also I've got like 5 skills right now what is early good skills?

the skills increase the number of berries in your ready slot (what you actually draw from when healing). upgrading your resource pouch increases the number you can carry in reserve to fill that.

the pop-in mention reminded me of another amusing glitch: during the first big quest on landfall, after being commanded to wear the elisabet clothes, aloy promptly walked back out still wearing her armor for a few seconds before the elisabet suit popped in. gently caress you ceo, try and shoot me, see if i care!

machine loot does show item icons if you run around spamming focus pulse, and i think there's an accessibility option to show those icons and climbing icons always. usually pretty easy to find everything with that.

if you haven't talked to him in a while, the hunter merchant on the west side of the base gets a greatly improved inventory after a point (i think after finishing all three of seeds of the past/broken sky/sea of sands) that has a bunch of purple weapons and outfits--not all of them, but one of each type at least, i think

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i love when the quip dialogue bugs out

Aloy, approaching a Sunwing, at the start of Wings of the Ten, minutes after crafting it: "I don't have the override for that machine yet, I need to explore more Cauldrons"

bonus points for this being right after i completed the last cauldron (gently caress you, IOTA)

also lol the plot railroading there: "welp, finally got the bird, time to go get all those inaccessible greenshine chunks!" "STOP. DEVIATING FROM THE COURSE TO THE TALLNECK IS FORBIDDEN. YOU ARE LEAVING THE PLAY AREA. RETURN TO THE PLAY AREA. WE'RE JUST GOING TO FREEZE THE SUNWING AWKWARDLY IN MIDAIR AND NOT EXPLAIN THAT THIS MEANS 'GO TO THE QUEST' RATHER THAN 'YOU ARE OFF THE MAP' LIKE IT NORMALLY DOES."

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 27, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

This was really dumb, it only lets you do it from the quest location.

i was at the quest location :|

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i've had the game drop to a black screen for bit before returning, occasionally displaying a loading screen. not sure if that's a bug or if it's just the way it handles the PS4 going O gently caress NEED TO LOAD poo poo _NOW_

definite bugs were:

- a glinthawk i needed to kill during a quest disappearing, with me and my quest buddies standing idly around in alert status until i reloaded from a save
- a ravager and behemoth convoy getting stuck in one place and idling, even when shot. if you approached the ravagers they would swipe at you but not really move. fun to massacre as a one off bug
- to make up for that, aloy lost the ability to use any weapons and just stood around helplessly getting beat up

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

nothing annoys me more than the "rarity" system for ammo resources. congratulations! a purple machine carcass reward! must be something good!

it's more volatile sludge. you have more than 200 stored up. you will never shoot enough plasma ammo to consume it all. almost every machine drops it, constantly

merely green rarity machine muscle, by comparison, is something i need to buy from merchants frequently, because basic sharpshot arrows are my #1 resource sink

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Do I still need animal skins bones and feathers for anything after I max out the pouches

i mean in practice the new job system that just says "go here to kill thing" works well enough that it doesn't matter. i've been saving scrap blocks/pristine parts religiously and haven't used any since just hunting the drat things is easier than going to merchants. small machine cores are still a gently caress, gotta bounce between the multiple burrower/fanghorn sites early in the daunt for hours to farm enough to upgrade poo poo to level 2. you should get them back from selling or disassembling old weapons, you need a ton and they're pure RNG, no tactics involved like the detachable parts

Kazzah posted:

You need to keep going til you've depopulated the map

also yes any peccary or fox that crosses my path must die. ya need meat for potions and all

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BitBasher posted:

When I use them I usually use more than my inventory, so usually this isn't a good option for me. I mean I do when I can, it just doesn't present itself often. I'm usually using them 3 shots at a time with Braced Shot against large targets.

I feel the exact opposite? The only time I use a sharpshot bow in a protracted fight is if I'm using it as a sledgehammer with Braced Shot, which I can only use twice then it doesn't come back for a long time. I use the hunter bow with advanced hunter arrows most of the time in actual fights when moving around. I still remove components with that without much of an issue. Two or three shots in focus slow motion removes pieces just fine and isn't hard at all to pull off on Hard. Only flying targets move around so much to really be a problem for targeting individual components, like Sunwings with their shield generators and such. The hunter bows do all of my heavy lifting for explosive elemental canisters and physical damage, I don't use Warrior bows basically at all.

i used to use the warrior bows to plink smaller enemies, but then got to the point where melee was more effective (because of quick knockdown) and i had enough HP to risk getting melee'd by them

i cannot fathom using the boltcaster though, it's got a wonderful combination of making you slower, a weird slow reload (that pops out unexpectedly), low range, and surprisingly low DPS/elemental buildup for all its limitations. i suspect it, like the rattler (because it is the rattler) has the lowest usage percentage across players

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

If there's one thing I hope they patch into this game, it's a separate appearance slot for outfits. There's a lot of neat looking outfits that don't fit with the stats I want or are too low in level.

yeah, im just rollin around in the purple nora +concentration armor all the time because i use concentration constantly because most of my other outfits aren't very upgraded, and i can't easily justify using them. the oseram +melee armor is maybe viable, but usually i want to be /out/ of melee or don't really need a bonus to it (you don't need +melee to clown on burrowers at lvl40). i have a +machine override skills armor that's ??? because when is that the centerpiece of your tactics, and then there's all the tenakth armor that has +low health bonuses which is just batshit because when would you intentionally leave yourself at low health for more damage, you will get slaughtered posthaste.

i also want swappable headgear, i refuse to wear that silly utaru hat

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

This game gives you a ton of skill points. I've mostly been investing in the Hunter and the Infiltrator. Is there anyway to switch Valor surges without going into the menu?

don't think so, and honestly there's too many that it wouldn't really work (unless they let you choose which were in rotation, like the tool selector)

Hollismason posted:

I'm not finding many side quests right now , hopefully they open up more I'm at the first part of early game quest Death's Door.

plot missions open up additional sidequests. this is _very_ apparent if you run ahead of where you're supposed to be on the map, towns are dead as gently caress before you hit their "spawn quests" trigger. new quests also spawn in previous towns after you hit a certain point

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Wait you need pristine skulls for trading things other than shards? (regarding a post made in previous page)

I kinda wished there were less weapons of the same types, just makes me vacillant and it is one of the few aspects i preferred in HZD. I am at a point in the game where purple weapons just started showing up and starting to wonder what purple hunter and sharpshots i will be shooting for.

you can trade them plus shards for certain animal bits used in pouch crafting.

i learned this, have been saving up pristine bits ever since, and haven't used them once because using the job system to find a hunting site is honestly easier usually

any quest that involves toppling a tree is cursed. idk why they made something where an object that looks like every other object of its type not highlighted to gently caress in the focus. an innocuous diamond does not make for a good indicator. i have wandered around for a minute for like all 4 of them

was very amused that Boomer's super cool weapon was... a slicer gauntlet. with acid. no explosives. what the hell Boomer, you had one job

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

where are the legendary weapons? i have one spikethrower from a quest which i probably won't use because it lacks drill spikes, but that's it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Set your Difficulty to Custom, keep whatever you prefer combat-wise, and turn on Easy Loot. Makes ANYTHING drop off Machines ,regardless of if you tore it off as-intended. (I think the stuff you need to leave intact will still be gone if destroyed though)

nah, the truly tedious part is when it requires Apex parts. loot you can cheese by showing up, popping off some tearblast arrows from stealth, running in to grab the bit, and fleeing (you coward). Apex parts you get to teleport to a fire, scan to see if the enemies are actually worth fighting, teleport to another, repeat. 50% of it is loading screens :(

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Haha gently caress you mission In the Valley that includes fighting a Thunderjaw and a Robotic mammoth. I'm setting your difficulty to Story mode.

Sometimes you just have to set the game to Story mode and fire off Spike throwers and braced shots.

if this is the one im thinking of, you can alternately squat on top of the horus skeleton they're under and just plink at them from afar. at a certain range the machines can't see you and they'll just stand around confused since they can't path up into the sky to get close enough to attack.

cheese strats are great fun when the opportunity presents itself

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Apex also show up more often when you kill a lot of machines.

I had a run of like 6 straight daytime slaughterspines at some point which might just be really good luck or might be because I was farming for parts to upgrade weapons so there was a lot of machine death happening that day.

yeah but i dont wanna waste 6 slaughterspines worth of ammo to make the one i actually need spawn, so reload cycle it is. once you finish all the sidequests/camps and no longer have their plethora of loot boxes to keep you funded, buying machine muscle obliterates your shard count

IcePhoenix posted:

You specifically only need to do the camps for the legendary bow. There's only five of them I think. They have a bigger icon than the outposts.

Also can confirm it rules.

its reload is so slow though and the upgrade to improve it is a long way off hrrrrng

having three advanced elements on a hunter bow is too good though, so it is the one legendary thing im bothering to upgrade

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Marin or the Grand Canyon seem like good DLC location options, you could tack either onto the map pretty easily. i'd lean towards the latter given that there's not much of interest in Marin, it'd just be more redwood forest in addition to the inexplicable one where the central valley should be

for the sequel give me the giant flying chinese snake dragon machine i need it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Megera posted:

i need to see orange county entirely submerged.

i mean, you can probably just wait 30 years irl

Ulio posted:

So far on VH difficultly, the hardest part was the first shellsnaper you meet with Talanah, the main quest bosses have all been easy thus far.

quest enemies get straight up nerfed (but shellsnappers are still fuckers despite) a lot of the time. several quest boss thunderjaws are missing disk launchers and/or half their health

the final battle in particular is a cakewalk in comparison to endgame apex machines. specters are just underpowered because they're something you have to fight pretty early, don't have apex versions, so they're pushovers when you're level 50. i was expecting the specter prime to be more of a threat, but it pretty much melted instantly without posing much of a threat. this makes sense since the mission has to accommodate for people that beelined straight to it, though it was a bit weird because Erik actually /was/ a pretty difficult fight even at high level.

also, Tilda revealing that her plan all along was to fly into space with you to rekindle her long lost lesbian crush on your clone mom as you rebuild a biosphere as god queens of a new world was a weird turn, and casts her relationship with Beta in an :ohdear: light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Thunderjaws, specifically Apex Thunderjaws, might have gotten the single biggest glow-up from Horizon Zero Dawn. I used to take down those suckers with all blue gear, now they're super nasty and relentlessly aggressive.

Shellsnappers are this game's "don't hoard your ammo" check, lob enough explosive spikes onto their shells and they're helpless against you.

from experience, killing apex thunderjaws at lower levels with blue weapons is doable, it just takes like 20 minutes between the reduced effectiveness of standard attacks and reduced launcher ammo. once you get the launchers off, you're fine if you can get cover between it and you, since it's quite happy to sit at range and blast a wall while you pop out and shoot something.

scorchers are the most dangerous IMO, because they very much will not sit in the distance shooting at you, and will instead close the distance with their mega dash, and if it connects you're out about 600HP. it's also fairly difficult to predict and dodge

of the new machines, i'd probably rank slitherfangs the hardest, since none of the others are particularly inclined to get up in your face ever, and the tail shock attack is high damage and can come out of nowhere if you're distracted and miss the (admittedly very obvious) windup. honorable mention to the tremortusk seeking shock blobs if you don't manage to outrun them. shellsnappers im not counting because half their difficulty is just that burrow teleport is a bullshit mechanic