Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
One thing that helped me a lot in the dlc was realising it is best to dodgeroll towards fire/frostclaws when they lunge at you. you end up rolling between their legs and get positioned behind them to shock their asses.

Nowadays i have multiple sets of the dlc mods, so i can have a nora protector outfit with max melee and fire or frost resistance, like it was made for wrestling with bears.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
so loving stoked for this game. Wont play until the 26th february, after my monthly income and an exam. Until then it is radio silence for all things horizon. Except for maybe technical reviews, how it performs on a base ps4.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
If that’s on a base PS4 it seems to run as well as hzd, dampens my worries..

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Real hyped for this game, but haven’t decided if I should wait for a ps5 to have a more seamless experience without my base PS4 sounding like a jet engine.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah but I’m usually fine waiting for games. This is the first one in a long time though I feel like buying at release.

But we will see, will buy HFW and after that I will always have the option to play on my PS4 or just wait.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Anyone seen anything of reviews that describe how well it runs on a base PS4?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 15, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
That’s great news! Does it make the fan work more or less as much as in hzd? Will clean it beforehand anyway but hope it is closer to hzd than rdr2 in fan noise.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Man I have an exam the 26th feb so won’t be getting it until then.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Time to dust off again, but have never changed the paste before, i guess i will see how loud it is after dusting before taking that step. From video guides it is a tad bit more complicated than just accessing the fan and its surroindings.
Thanks for the link to the performance review! I can live with what was described, so im going to go ahead and play it on my ps4. Not in a hurry for a PS5, and beside its scarcity, in the short term HFW is really the only game i want it for, doesnt really justify the cost when the PS4 from what ive read seems good enough.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 16, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Well, was paranoid about PS4 performance but aside for occassional pop-ins it is seamless enough for me, runs great and steady! Feels even smother than HZD.

Have been procrastinating skill point distribuition so i have like 40 points (lvl 15). What set of skills were most helpful for you early on?

Cant wait to encounter more new machines, absolute coolest so far is the Skydrifter, basal avialans is where its at!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

Everything in the Hunter tree, max out the Powershot valor surge, enough points in Infiltration for Braced Shot, enough points in melee for Resonator Blasts.

I just finished all the Horizon Kart missions and while I can't say I enjoyed the racing all that much, the ending definitely made up for it!

Thanks! Just got to Plainsong and what i didnt miss from HZD was hunting all the drat animals for ammo capacity. And im guessing some animals are specific to the different biomes/sections of the map?

I am at a point in the game where blue weapons are starting to show up. In HZD the gap from where you got blue weapons and the first purples could be short. Is it similar in HFW? Just to gauge how much to spend on upgrades. But either way it is time to replace the basic bows in my loadout, time to shop around.

Machine strike is fun, only done 2/3 of the beginners so i still have sets and strategy to really figure out.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 26, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Wait you need pristine skulls for trading things other than shards? (regarding a post made in previous page)

I kinda wished there were less weapons of the same types, just makes me vacillant and it is one of the few aspects i preferred in HZD. I am at a point in the game where purple weapons just started showing up and starting to wonder what purple hunter and sharpshots i will be shooting for.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

you can trade them plus shards for certain animal bits used in pouch crafting.

i learned this, have been saving up pristine bits ever since, and haven't used them once because using the job system to find a hunting site is honestly easier usually

any quest that involves toppling a tree is cursed. idk why they made something where an object that looks like every other object of its type not highlighted to gently caress in the focus. an innocuous diamond does not make for a good indicator. i have wandered around for a minute for like all 4 of them

was very amused that Boomer's super cool weapon was... a slicer gauntlet. with acid. no explosives. what the hell Boomer, you had one job

drat, found a bunch so far that i have sold. A bit of an oversight that they state you can only sell for shards. Machine/processing blocks(?) can also be traded but they write as much.

Have been sleeping on the new non-bow projectile weapons, any faves? Will be trying shredder and spikecaster first, they look cool.

Im more or less mid-game or early midgame so soon time to shop up for purples. I do wish the options for same weapon type in a tier were reduced for the sake of my indecision, until the legendary tier narrows it down. In HZD the choices were clearer which i kind of miss. Mileage may vary but what mid-game purple weapons of each category would you vouch for?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 2, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Man in cauldron IOTA the rollerback was a PITA, together with sunwing the toughest machines so far. Spikesnouts though are fun because of all their explodable parts that make my brain tingle. But the hidden MVP where the two apex burrowers who knocked me twice off the platform and falling to death. But drat was it rad elevating out of the cauldron on a tallneck!

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 2, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
What are your favorite weapon loadouts? after roughin it a while with blue tier weapons i have gotten a decent collection of purples and legendaries. for advanced elemental arrows do you find that the volatile sludge is enough? The sun scourge and death seeker hunter bows between them have way better and less redudant element coverage than if only purples would fill th same role, but to easy to get stingy.

Edit: Currently ive equipped the marshal, death seeker shadow, sun scourge, glowblast sharpshot and corrosive blastsling which i think covers alot of ground. plus a sixth slot for heavy stuff, for the moment slotted by the vindicator spikethrower. Up until this moment ive had blue tier stuff equipped so can finally bring in more hurt. Need to sort out some coils though, have completely neglected and procrastinated coil management and have a bunch amassed.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

isk posted:

I had a couple others but TBH I was all set between Sun Scourge, Forgefall, and Death-Seeker's Shadow. Pretty much everything is weak to at least one of those elements, and there's plenty of raw damage in the last two. Forgefall got disgustingly good with a few +draw speed coils.

Seems so! Glad i plowed through the Arena on story difficulty now at mid-game, OP bow and perhaps the best armor. To bad you cant loot the last enemy you kill in a challenge, could have gotten a lot of birds with one stone.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
So about to set forth on the last story quest and as you know Aloy foiled Sylens plan and backed him on to her own. But i cant help feel that he might be right. We as the protagonist will prevail with plot armor, but Aloys plan is really really risky for something that stakes the existence of all life on earth. It all hinges on no one in your handful of people dying or stumbling against superpowered humans, anything goes wrong and you lose.

edit: where can i find dreadwings? heard that there is a marked site near spinebreak but doesnt appear on my map, maybe it appears post-story? Ive found a unmarked site below those mountains west of the arena just south of the spinosaurus site (appears together with a stormbird). But a bit far from a camp fire sadly. Someone also told me it can appear one in the valley of the fallen near the beach but havent checked for myself. Now the trick is getting an apex, need it for the legendary stealth armor.

Oh and i was worried about running out of volatile sludge for my legendaries but the elemental arrow stock because of their effectiveness last awhile and together with the powershot ammo exploit i hardly consume any-

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 9, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

You can fast travel out of bases, you just have to change the map level with the D-Pad.

drat only learning about this now after having just finished main story.

BioThermo posted:

The closest campfire northeast of Latopolis/Hades Proving Ground has a dreadwing chilling just under a broken overpass. It'll show up as a dreadwing site on your map once you travel there. (I wonder if it would show up as a dreadwing site the first time you overrode the local tallneck if you waited until after the story mission that introduces them to do so)

Yeah i had been there before but it only spawns and shows on the map when you go there after completing main story. First encounter was an apex with a heart so i got what i needed. Had previosly been battling them (beside quests) in that unmarked site in the mountains with no luck.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Stealth got alot easier with the winterweave outfit, really noticeable and almost back to HZD-levels of maxed stealth. Would prefer if they hadnt gotten rid of permanent overrides, should at least get it from maxing the machine tree skill instead of getting like 1,5 minutes. You do get permanent overrides with the skills combined with some machine hunter outfit perks but typically pretty late in the game, had the effect of discouraging overriding up to that point while at the same time making specific overrides harder to get.

End-game spoilers:

Just finished the main story yesterday and I miss having the companions in the bunker, feels so empty now :(
should
Also suprised that beta, sylens and gaia have no dialogue tree post-game. Beta especially, there is tons to talk about. or even Sylens, since Apollo is with us in the base after the finale.

I wanted to tell Erik to turn his face to the sun before spearing him, but it would be unlike Aloy perhaps.
Felt otherwise a bit rushed at the end, and as of now not relly excited by the wholen nemesis thing.
)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Why is there a unknown override slot in the fabrication terminal left to unlock? Have crafted all availabe overrides and done all cauldrons with a full machine catalogue, but one slot is just a big question mark without any requirements. is it just an oversight?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Lord Hydronium posted:

May I say, gently caress the final challenges in each Arena tier. Now that I'm all kitted out and skilled up from finishing the main story (and dropped the difficulty from VH to Hard about halfway through) the regular ones are much more of a breeze, but then the final challenges give you a fixed loadout of not only weapons, but also armor and skills. I'm probably going to just end up lowering it to story mode to get through those.

You might ask why bother if it's not fun, and the answer is I want the pretty armors.

Same, i plowed through them mid-game set to "story difficulty" because the armors and weapons are so worth it. Shame you dont get loot from the machines though, you go through so many strong machines and would save some hoarding time.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

Have you completed mission GEMINI in the main quest?

Yes!

Maybe i will go through the machine catalogue and see one by one if any of them are missing an override.

edit: found someone with the exact some problem https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/t4nqsp/missing_one_corrupted_override_but_i_have/ and apparently it is the Sunwing that is missing despite having it unlocked. Can put that aside then as a glitch

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 11, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

BitBasher posted:

Is there anything strange I need to know about Apex Scorcher Hearts? Not only are they not dropping from about 10 scorchers in a row, but the quest, if I make it active, that needs them won't point to the scorcher sites that I have on my map. It just says unknown scorcher site with no waypoint. My map locations are spawning Apex Scorchers, they just aren't dropping hearts.

Drop rate of hearts from apex scorcher is supposed to be 51%. You sure that all those killed scorchers were apex variants? If so dont know what else to say, would be either something wrong or really bad luck. I think they dont show on the map because there arent any static/guaranteed apex spawns, but still, where they can appear it will be at those sites.

Just finished the melee pit in Thornmarsh and drat do the combo challenges suck. In-game instructions are misleading and i had way better luck following this users modified instructions: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/122641-the-enduring-fair-warning-on-the-thornmarsh-melee-pit/

As an aside, fireclaw webbing is my least favourite upgrade resource to hunt, please stop asking for it. It would be useful if jobs marked the corresponding machine site for apex parts, saves some map searching.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Doesnt fast travel cancel it? Thats what i do with powershots to replenish ammo that requires sludge. Havent done most sunkern caves for that reason, the really good weapons dont require it for upgrading. There are some greenshine in cool places only reachable by mount. Like near the top of golden gate bridge, and near hoover dam (just discovered yesterday that hoover dam is in this game). that area is also the best for tideripper farming as there are several.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

effervescible posted:

Is there any good general advice for knowing when to spend greenshine on upgrades and when not to, if it's a finite resource? Like I haven't used it on the couple of blue tier weapons I've seen call for it, but I'm worried I'll end up in another jrpg scenario where I can't use any of the 999 mega elixirs I've stockpiled because what if I need one later.

Use it for weapons you want to keep and upgrade for awhile, at least for those rarer variants of greenshine. It is mostly purple tier weapons that require it. Blue ones to but they mostly require the more common greenshine. For the highest tier weapons (legendary) though it hardly uses greenshine for upgrades. But with the blues and purples i wanted to upgrade i ended up with a surplus of the most common greenshine variants (greenshine fragment, sliver and chunk), while greenshine slabs and clusters were a limiting resource for purple tier weapons. If you create a job the map will mark a location of a required greenshine variant though.

Btw does anyone know of a machine site that spawns more than one behemoth at a time?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 12, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Lord Hydronium posted:

I ran into a Behemoth convoy wandering the deserts north of Vegas; not sure if it's randomly spawned or fixed, but I recall it having multiple Behemoths. Also IIRC the spawn along the far southwest coast of the mainland had two.

Thanks! Need 3 apex hearts and want to improve my odds. But yeah some machine sites are scarce. I miss from HZD a site with two thunder jaws or fireclaws, where I can override one and watch them battle it out.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I’m pretty sure you can cancel power shot with ammo refilled and all your surge intact by either (don’t remember which) activating it for your selected ammo then save and restart from save OR fast travel. Think it was the former, worked to refill all my sludge advance elementals.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Same, did that poo poo on story and cant imagine the frustration of the last challenge on anything beyond easy/normal because you just get absolutely no respite between a giant and a fast hell-dog. Not my favourite way to fight machines but was worth plowing though on reduced difficulty for the OP gear.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Hollismason posted:

I'm I feel at the end of the game I'm at the quest Singularity , which I think is close to the last quest. I'm kind of disappointed that they give you a flying mount so late in the game. I've done I feel all the side quests? I'm not sure I'm now traveling to different locations to see if I missed any quests.

A couple of sidequests require the flying mount and can only be progressed after "Wings of the ten" .

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How bad are the melee pits, they're the only side content I haven't done yet and I've seen a lot of people in here complain about them

For me it was the combo challenges in Thornmarsh that were most tricky to input and i had better luck following these instructions than the in-game instructions.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/122641-the-enduring-fair-warning-on-the-thornmarsh-melee-pit/

What coils do you all like to use on your bows?

After some farming rounds, upgrading legendary gear is a bit excsessive :(

And it is always the same components from the very toughest machines. Wouldnt mind if they threw in some of the mid-sized machines in there for variety, presumably haephastus uses quality parts for those too.
edit: i mean i get it, tough machines for big rewards, but still..

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 13, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

JavaJesus posted:

Are the arena fights supposed to end as soon as you've killed all the machines, or is there something you're supposed to do to actively complete the challenge? The one time I tried the arena I killed everything, but the timer kept going and I couldn't find any way to exit the arena so I had to abandon the challenge.

Yes it should end as soon as the last machine is slayed.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wonder if they maybe wanted to encourage using your own weapons/traps more? Murking Thunderjaws with their own disc launchers was my go-to as well, and I have to admit I didn't use traps much in the first game.

I also miss the good old Whistle of Death (The Lure Call), but I get why that one went because it GUARANTEED to only lure a single victim to you. The rocks are legitimately more balanced for risk/reward.

I miss the call, but in practice the rocks most of the time seem to attract only the nearest individual? at least when you throw them at your feet to lead them into striking range.

Something that just struck me, you see very few children among the settlements inhabitants.. Didnt think about it until i saw one among a group of survivors on a sidequest.

Anyway, after having done the main quests and all side-activities (except machine strike) im glad i have like 13 sidequests saved up to do.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Need to try that on my maxed out stealth tree. Also, the fully upgraded winterweave outfit in conjuction with skills is insanely good for stealth, wish ive gotten that earlier.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Man the silent strike heal skill is really OP, especially now with the winterweave and all other maxed stealth skills. 85% overheal, it is like having the shieldweaver but you get to wear whatever armour with actual resistances/perks.

Having all the machine hunter and stealth perks is something im looking forward to use on a ng+ from the beginning or potential dlc.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 15, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Mid-tier Glinthawks/skydrifters with a supporting sunwing or a couple leaplashers seems like it can take out anything in machine strike. Keep a nice formation, bait and delay, keep high ground and just exploit mistakes. Flying machines are OP. Need to get me a stormbird though for my bird themed sets.

And yeah outfits skills are insane now that I have fully upgraded the thunderwarrior, winter weave and tactician. Especially the latter with machine tree skills, feels like maxed overriden machines can take in considerably more than even in hzd. If it was available early game you could make machines do 90% of the job.

What machines do you find the hardest to fight? After having fought everything, I gotta hand it to apex fireclaws.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 15, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Or just exploit powershot for ammo refill at a campfire, hardly consume any sludge because of it, have like 600 sludge despite using adv elementals and spikes.

my toughest fight was getting two birds with one stone and collecting web sacs and apex hearts from the same apex fireclaw. But if not for the sac webbing they are probably not the hardest with frost weakness but that they are always in my face still makes them do more damage to me in a short time than anything else ive fought.

Toughest in the wild that is. The toughest enemies have been in quests where you get no respite as you get gangbanged from several aggressive machines. The last arena challenge and Grimhorns on Zo's quest and two fireclaws + rebels on Talanahs quest have been among the toughest for that reason.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 15, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

exquisite tea posted:

Guerrilla have said they purposely stayed away from insect/arachnid designs to avoid the machines too closely resembling the Faro bots.

I can see that with arachnids but imo you could make a lot of insects not resemble faro bots much at all beyond their legs. Many insects already look as different to faro arachnids as a crab/shellwalker does. The wings and eyes alone of some can give a whole other impression. Something like a dragonfly for example, they are usually solitary too so no swarm association.

I dunno i think insects have potential and can be made more "gaia-like". They already managed it with shellwalkers, would be that different with many insects.

Anyway, i usually dont have a problem with detached parts disappearing except for stormbird cannons that seem to vanish half the times you tear one off?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
For machine strike, either a set with flying machines and a couple of helpers or a set with just a fireclaw can beat everything it seems like, havent done all of them though.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
There is also that sidequest that makes you choose between two people vying for power, which kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. It is not he angry/brain/heart options, but you get a dialogue choice that affects the outcome.

The quest chain at scalding spear, wish i could tell both to screw and pick Jetakka instead. Mostly felt out of character having to actually fight on one sides behalf when both were being stubborn. Picked Yarra because she at least entertained the thought of a parley while Drakka forced his hand more to combat. But a red flag that Yarra could not be convinced that whatever happened at the pump station was unintentional when it is by far the most likely, she herself knew poo poo about pumps but cant entertain any other idea than Drakka masterminding the whole thing. Would have felt more comfortable picking her if she were willing to drop the malicious accusation that kind of puts Drakka in a corner and escalating things. Drakka seems to have worse leadership skills and a hothead but his grievances were pretty legitimate for the most part.

Feels a bit empty now that i have done all quests and side-activites (except the last machine strikes) but everything has an end.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Would be more motivating if metal flower/firegleam loot occassionally had machine parts frequently used for legendary upgrades (at least for some in the late-game regions of the game). The hearts and stuff are always the ones for selling or lower-tier gear, have not come across any that are used for upgrading legendaries. And since you are rarely short on shards after a certain point in the game i mostly ignore them unless they happen to be on the way.

Two marked behemoth convoy sites finally appeared in the stillsands. Wonder what finally triggered it, were missing even postgame, only thing different since then is completing a bunch of sidequests and errands.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Like with other stuff. You still have to redo cauldrons, tallnecks etc and i guess sunwings are no different. Would be nice though.

I hope there wont be any new adept gear equivalent in NG+. Enemies remain the same, but with maxed out skills,current gear and techniques/surges you are already at least as OP as you were in HZD with adept stuff.