Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

isk posted:

I love the color contrasts and the nature parts of the environments, and I know Ashly Burch will do a terrific job as always. That said, I enjoyed Horizon when the contemporary references were less overt. It was like an archaeological puzzle deciphered over time.
At least they figured out there eventually is no point in keeping the mystery. Aloy cutting through the paleobabble with "...you mean San Francisco?" is a great moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Endless Trash posted:

Gaia kinda hosed up by not making “deconstruct Faro swarm” a part of the terraforming process

This calls for Hades

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So, what's next for the woman of the hour? :kimchi:

Nihonniboku posted:

I gathered the former, but not the latter. That would be pretty cool to see a location change.
Since it's gonna be the entire humanity's last stand (again) I'm hoping for multiple smaller maps all over the world, Shadow of War style.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's not enough to scan the note from a distance

e: wait, no, you're already past that. but that took me a while

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Invisible point lights behind every character in cutscenes and dialogue were also all over base game, could be jarring too when the camera did a 180 but everybody was still backlit. But it's part of the aesthetic and what made me eat the performance cost to get those crisp edges in 4K

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how the ending plays if you reject Seyka though.
I picked the anxiety option as usual and, well, it fits the characterization, Aloy overthinks herself out of happiness

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihOwfqYHyA :letsgo:

Falukorv posted:

Great delta is one of the things that makes me think China, but also a bunch of parallells between Quen society and historical Chinese empires. And the fact that the surviving cradle in Asia was located in Xinjiang.
Given that cradles all over the world began spitting out roughly the same mix of ethnicities all speaking English, one has to wonder how much difficulty did the first Quen Focus users have with the local datalogs :v:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the way Gary Oldman said "battle chatter" on Conan talking about his CoD roles is forever seared into my brain

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

in the early 00s we started off wondering if we could do nice water in 3D, or snow, or mud, or sand, turns out we can do all those things. but can we do...hugs?

Industry people lost their poo poo at the taking-off-a-shirt scene in TLoU 2, close interactions of meshes are still hard enough most dialogue scenes merely imply giving someone an object when the scene calls for it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Riven posted:

My problem was I only learned you could remove stuff from this forum, not the game, when I was 90% of the way through the game. And I only learned you could customize the order from this post. The discoverability of the UI and game systems, which are way more complex than HZD, sucks.
Thinking how Death Stranding using the same engine had the "you can see BTs if you stop moving for a second" tutorial prompt show in postgame or never show for some people. Maybe Decima just needs at least one feature like that or the games won't build :tinfoil:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks to a death that respawned me on the other side of the mountains I managed to get to Thornmarsh before the Base :v: the game is pretty good about not locking up and just lets you use exploration mechanics you technically haven't acquired yet but should have if you're already here

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

theCalamity posted:

Yeah my only issue with it is how it’s presented. Dude walks off screen and then comes back disgusted. It could’ve been a lot more impactful if they did it differently.
Ted Faro in the Absolutely Safe Capsule

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

haveblue posted:

AAA games will use all 4 of these in various scenes and contexts, depending on how much GPU capacity can be spared in a given scene and how much cheating they think is noticeable
RE8 does it best with Alcina taking her mirror and throwing it so it faces the wall before you can walk up to look at it from a different angle

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

drat, they actually bother to render that?

And not just on Aloy, the game's "everybody's backlit, always" signature style makes it really stand out on most faces, especially in UHD

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

site posted:

Except for one line in the optional conversation with Petra right before the final battle, I spent the entire first game thinking aloy was ace
You get an option to blueball Seyka in Burning Shores, it's perfectly fine for that characterization

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm sure the LEGO Horizon game will end up with a higher median player age than the actual Horizon games. It is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sivart13 posted:

What need is there to adapt a video game into a different style of video game with less fidelity?
Fidelity isn't inherent to style. The bricks will have roughness maps up the rear end and barely maintain 30 fps