Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

rotor posted:

a microwave should have one control: a knob for setting how long you want it to run

i have used both an ancient microwave with a big chunky mechanical dial and a modern industrial panasonic with a digital knob and they both were terrible

the mechanical dial was slower than a keypad and the digital would take two tiny clicks to overshoot from :45 to 1:30 then ten slow clicks backwards in 5 second intervals to revise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

one being this was from the era of “microwave cooking” books with pictures of roasts and seven course meals on the cover so you had a 30 minute linear timer so everything you’d ever want to do was between 12-2 and it was difficult to differentiate between the tiny arc fractions which would cook the frozen meal nicely to burnt to a crisp. you can still get these dials on cheap small microwaves

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

its actually very hard to find microwaves with dial interfaces now. I have one on my wishlist for when i finally get tired of the POS i have now, and its entirely aimed at people who have trouble with fine manipulation skills.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mechanical+microwave+oven&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

here you go

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...8f1436a1&gclid=

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

valley brain callin in with the make the entire plane out of black box takes

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

TheFluff posted:

you absolutely cannot attribute the better part of a century of institution building to a single event, that isn't how history works

the us military had an absolutely godawful safety culture until relatively recently so this doesn't ring true to me at all

bud holland air show practice safety culture

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how's it feel to know your mom is full of shiiiiiiiiiit

well she pushed out a 9 lb turd thirty years ago so it’s probably not news

jk zokie idk who u are

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is there ever going to be a major new re-design for desktops or email (i.e. memorandums) or personal computing that somehow "transcends" paper all of this?

This has already happened. iOS has killed the file / hierarchical nested folders metaphor, and made it entirely application/content specific. Web apps have killed the rest; everything is tied to your account and stored in the cloud.

There are a few places where the file structure leaks, but they’re legacy.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

MononcQc posted:

I enjoyed getting that sort of surprise on the focus around egocentric vs. allocentric perspectives in interpreting the end message.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wX1x7pfH8fw

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

if you want visual programming you can go do plant automation for plc industrial controls

you will regret this

(expressing complex ideas, rules, and relationships graphically is harder than using language; ed tufte makes good money charging ballrooms full of middle managers $1k each for a one day information design basics presentation)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Expo70 posted:

the fix for this is you design the software agnostically of its inputs and visualizations in such a way where making changes is very easy, and you have enough interaction with your users where you understand how they work and adjust those things accordingly

done right, it reduces bitrot and ensures you can continually improve the product over time in a way that's reasonably consistent

don't write poo poo that's easy to extend; write poo poo that's easy to delete

if its easy to delete, its easy to replace and therefor easy to iterate

and iteration is the best teacher; context over dogma: ux and hfe might teach you things (often good life-saving things), but they are models to point you in the right direction

reality is not a model, and there will be failure modes and success modes you cannot yet imagine

the beginning of the end for all things made by human hands is a catastrophic failure of imagination

only if you can survive CFOI, can you learn those lessons at all

“you don’t need documentation if you write better programs” is on the same level of delusion as “self-documenting code”

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

*looks around*

it’s been done

but seriously yeah intentional barrier to entry stuff is a real common pattern in both communities or general interest groups and it either never takes off or dies when the five greybeards can’t recruit any youths to put up with their bullshit to play with the clubs model trains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

also seen in products; whole bunch of iPod alternatives where intentionally difficult