Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Airline food... what.. is.. the deal???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Morning Show was decent but I can see how it's not for everyone

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

We had elderly relatives staying with us for the last week so we started watching Great British Bake-Off, and you know what, it's loving great.

It's very soothing and cheerful, especially the 1st few seasons.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You mean you guys don't just see what everyone is excited about in this thread and poo poo on it while watching the stuff that everyone complains about instead?

:aaa:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Papercut posted:

I liked how for some reason they'd send these covert tactical teams to infiltrate a base to destroy some tech and then just nuke the base afterwards anyway

Ah the plot of Starcraft

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Peak it up peak it up peak it up

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

also a lot of good seasons of television ended the last couple weeks

The Curse is amazing, as previously mentioned. Ten hours of the cringiest deadpan you've ever seen from Nathan Fielder and friends followed by an ending that is somehow both thematically relevant and a huge gently caress-you. Loved it.

Fargo did pretty well this season. It ends a little too cleanly for my tastes (the good guys win and the bad guys lose) but it's still a huge improvement over the absolute dud of the Chris Rock season. It also feels like it has the most overt Coen callbacks to date, with so many scenes and ideas and structures lifted almost directly from their works, though usually by being turned on their head a little bit which is fun. Fun fact: the Coens hate this show and do not want people to mention it around them!

Reacher okay I wouldn't call this a good show but it's entertaining, sometimes entertainingly stupid but there it is. The ending is absolutely ridiculous, with the villain who had been killing his way to this arms deal dying so immediately and without a fight that you wonder why they showed his journey at all, Reacher and his team both doing wacky 'sure you can go...psych!'-style execution against the remaining bad guys and Reacher stealing millions in unmarked bearer bonds and doling them out to friends and loved ones like a homeless caveman Santa Claus while the government just kind of winks and lets him do it. I'm half-tempted to actually start reading the books if any of them are half as bonkers as this.

I lost it and decided I loved the 2nd season when one Ep ended with the main villain trying to negotiate and asking Reacher "Ok then what exactly is it that you want?" and him replying "I want to throw you out of a helicopter" and the immediate cut to credits. No moralizing, no "how dare you" etc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Watching Masters of the Air now and so far it's good. I do think the show suffers from a lack of introduction to the characters though - in BoB you get to see the men bond together in boot camp and training, so by the time they get to combat they are fleshed out and their bond is already evident. In MoA they are thrown into the meat grinder almost immediately- which definitely packs a punch, but just hits differently.

The cast is outstanding as is the production itself. It's gorgeous to look at, almost too beautiful.

Agreed with this, came around on it a bit more after ep3 but it still feels a bit hollow despite being very beautiful and terrifying.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

smackfu posted:

Eternals was a pure standalone and no one cared about it.

Think the trick is making good movies.

poo poo was boring af, turned it off like 20 mins in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Papercut posted:

Same, and I usually watch the MCU movies just for dumb fun. It was dumb and not fun.

Yeah same, I don't really hate on them much, some are pretty entertaining, some just worth a watch while smoking up and never thinking about again but yeah that one no amount of drugs was going to make worth sitting there. Didn't think about it enough to say why, just was not gripping in any way. I liked some of the cast too but it wasn't worth it to hold on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Isnt there a guy itt who would rather die than ever see a 30 second commercial play before anything, I remember when I said I only have hulu because you can get the basic version for $1/month every black Friday he acted like I'd committed a sin against man

I don’t think it was me but im definitely of the mindset of if I am paying to watch something i am not happy to also be paying for ads. If it was a free stream or over the airwaves, whatever, thats how they get their money. If im paying for it? gently caress no

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

They jacked CD prices up to 17.99 and limewire/kazzaa/napster happened. Most people had dial up. Now we've all got VPNs riding our fiber lines. Crazy they are trying to push it again.

It’s so dumb. I’ve been happily paying for Amazon video for years and stuff like this will not only keep me from paying more, but also push me towards canceling the service outright.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Predator 2 might be the sweatiest movie ever made, just positively drenched. Bill Paxton is sweating through his suit jacket, they're probably even sweating in that deep freezer.

That or cool hand luke

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A Time to Kill is still the sweatiest movie

Yeah a top 5er for sure

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

Wasn’t Lost really popular with normies? That’s how I remember it c. 2005-2006 anyway

Yep. Came in to work one day and like 7 diff people were talking about last nights ep in 2005 for most of the season.

Same for 24 but slightly less of a following.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Martman posted:

but is it fetch

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I somehow watched many seasons of Rick and Morty without ever being exposed to the discussion about it on the internet and was very confused when I finally heard some of it. Great show.

Yeah same I just watched and enjoyed it and later found out there was all kinds of dumb internet poo poo about it. Sadly seems to be the case for anything that's above a certain degree of popularity for long enough and/or might have had someone problematic involved with it along the way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I saw Blair Witch Project, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Event Horizon in the theater on lsd, fun times!

goddamn

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

dont be weird

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toggle posted:

I started a rewatch of Natural Born Killers, for like the 3rd time in 5 years, and I just can’t do it. First couple of times I tapped out at the snake bite sequence, this time was the drug store shoot out. I have seen it before, about 20 years ago, but it just kinda sucks and it’s a real slog. It looks pretty though.

The main thing that resonates from that with me still is the interview with the kids talking about how cool Mickey and Mallory are and then awkwardly fitting in "oh yeah but we respect human lives and stuff". Kinda perfectly distilled a lot of problems with the USA.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

withak posted:

My recollection is that Halo is about shooting up a lot of aliens and driving around in a fun jeep.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

david_a posted:

Roar is an utterly insane film with an absurd amount of untrained big cats on screen made by a real-life lunatic. It’s supposed to be a lighthearted comedy. 70 members of the cast and crew were injured, some severely. Despite this, the movie is somehow fairly boring

what the hell

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh it was awful to watch in real time over years, just always hoping the show would get its edge back somehow, unable to stop watching, tuning in week after week for the most treacly bullshit about the magic of friendship. I've never had less of a desire to rewatch anything other than the later seasons of Parks and Rec, tied with Come and See.

This is good to know because I stopped like 2 eps into the last season of Parks and Rec and had been meaning to go back and finish, but couldn't seem to. Now I think I'll just not bother.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Also good to see Mikey from Justified again!

Oh word?

Glad hes getting work

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mystes posted:

Tell that to the average restaurant patron

:hfive:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Just discovered that Exosquad, the finest children's cartoon of the 1990's, is on Peacock.

Hell yeah

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I don't remember that, but it's possible.

Exosquad is the show that had incredibly detailed characters and told a nuanced story about racism and the trauma of war while still spending lots of screen time showing you all the cool mech suits and vehicles that could buy at your local toy store

If you think BTAS was a show that treated its young audience with respect and didn't pull any punches in its storytelling, Exosquad is that but turned up a few notches.

There was so much crap, absolute complete crap cartoons for children in the 80's and 90's. GI Joe was a ham and cheese lunchable, Exosquad was prosciutto wrapped around a slice of musky melon. While still being toyetic as hell! Of course it was an absolute failure.

Yeah it was a lot like the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Lot of real poo poo going on in the story and with awesome characterizations etc and broad themes and oh they had to sell toys so also heres a new mech of the week to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've been recently enraptured by the idea of a "phone movie" or a "phone show" which is something you can put on while sitting around doing stuff on your phone half paying attention and not miss a whole lot. 2019's Midway is an excellent phone movie. What other movies or shows fall in that category?

To me thats something that strong in one category and weak in a few others.

Maybe take your favorite actors and find shows or films that had middling ratings.

Either that or shows with a known good studio / Director, i.e. something that might have good individual scenes to it but otherwise weak.