Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Does the HBO Max app on PS4/PS5 not do surround sound? I just realized today that I'm only getting stereo regardless of my sound settings in the console. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon all work correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Jolo posted:

Does the HBO Max app on PS4/PS5 not do surround sound? I just realized today that I'm only getting stereo regardless of my sound settings in the console. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon all work correctly.

Found my answer, it doesn't.

https://help.hbomax.com/us/Answer/Detail/000001250 posted:

Dolby Digital Plus audio is available on the following devices:

Amazon Fire TV
Android TV
Apple TV
Google Chromecast Ultra
LG Smart TV
Roku
Samsung TV (models that support Dolby Digital Plus)
VIZIO Smart TV
Xbox console

Seems kinda weird that PS4 and PS5 aren't in the list considering how many PS4s are out there. I seem to remember the Paramount app not supporting it either.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mike Myers isn’t funny. His new show is dumb.

Oh behave!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Last Night in Soho on HBO was alright. It's not as fun as most of his other movies. It has a lot of music from the 60s in it and I was surprised to learn that "Always Something There to Remind Me" by Naked Eyes and "Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison are both covers.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Papercut posted:

Watched all of The Staircase this weekend. It was just okay, kinda boring? The performances were good and nothing about it was egregiously bad, but it just sorta dragged on for too long and felt like the same story beats were unnecessarily repeated in different ways for no real reason. Shoulda been like two episodes shorter I think.

Creating a story like that is a multi-step process. Maybe they should've taken more time on the editing step. Maybe the actors should've stepped their game up. Maybe the show runner should've stepped down and allowed someone else to step up to manage the production. Maybe a Steppenwolf song would've improved the story.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I watched the doc that the dramatization was based on back in 2006 or so and remember thinking the dad hadn't done it. My grandma read a book based on the case and she thought he was guilty as hell.

It's been so long I don't remember much about it. Did you watch the doc first or just the dramatization? In hindsight, the doc follows his defense attorneys and his family so naturally the focus is on info that makes him look innocent with two tragedies happening to his partners.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I still can't believe old Finneus stood up Vito at the Yankee game. Rude imo.

Edit: People don't talk enough about how funny that show is. Christopher rambling while high as balls at a wake and Paulie relaying information from Tony about the Russian are absolutely hilarious moments.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 25, 2022

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Lastdancer posted:

I don't remember where I read it but somewhere on this forum at some point someone recommended Broad City and thank you because I just finished watchin all of it and that was just what I needed

Abbi at the Dentist is one of those scenes that makes me laugh so hard. It's wonderful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Gonz posted:

And not only that, but the PS5 app now does 4K video.

Does it do surround sound? I couldn't get it working a few months ago and found out that the PlayStation App didn't support it.

Ended up buying a Chromecast with Google TV puck and that could do it. Pretty silly that the big honking console couldn't but the puck can.

Chromecast is great but the Hulu app on there doesn't do surround. Fortunately the PS5 app works correctly.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Holy crap, that's Quinns from Shut Up & Sit Down. Thanks for posting this, now I have more Quinns to watch.

Yeah, he has done several videos with the People Make Games Youtube channel. I recommend the two they did on Roblox that showcase how a platform that should be a cool positive thing that encourages kids to learn about game dev is predatory and terrible because of, yep, you guessed it :capitalism:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

im watching the gray man. Im on the third act and still have no idea what's happening or what the stakes are lol. Ana de armas is so pretty dude

There was a click bait ad for a Marilyn Monroe movie made by Netflix with her as Marilyn that is going to be NC-17 that made me go, "I'm interested in this director's vision for the film."

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Watched RRR, its a insane movie in a lot of good (and some bad) ways.it has the most explicit gay relatioship in any bollywood movie ever, ray stevenson being comicaly evil and at one point a tiger does a spanish fly on a british soldier. 4/5 was very entertained for 3 hours.

Ray Stevenson! I knew he looked familiar but couldn't place him.

I know him as The Punisher from the very silly and very fun Punisher War Zone.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

One of the interesting bits from The Phantom Menace making of Doc is that they had the actor playing Jar Jar act out the scenes with a rubber suit on and then they also had a cgi team doing a fully animated version.

George and crew watch the footage and then realize the cg looks better and lament that they wasted thousands on a really nice looking suit, but then the guy presenting the graphics points out that the rubber suit footage was very valuable because they could see on the actor where the lighting and shadow should be on the rendering.

That doc is pretty interesting throughout. I don't know if it's on Disney+ in any way but it's tucked away on the bonus disc on the Blu-ray under a legacy menu.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Locke recently showed up on HBO Max. It's a movie in which Tom Hardy spends the entire time in a car dealing with a buncha personal poo poo over the phone and it's fantastic. Sounds like a COVID movie, but it came out way before that.

Real good if you just wanna listen to Tom Hardy pronounce things.

HBO had to remove Collateral to make room for it so that they didn't surpass their dude being driven around in a car quota.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I just fired up a movie on Hulu that contains a trigger warning at the beginning for having an “unlikable female protagonist”

Like Hulu put it there or the creator has it there as part of the movie?

Either way it almost sounds like part of a study of audience reactions, like showing them an episode of Breaking Bad and priming one audience with "Walt is doing this for his fam" and another with "Walt is doing this because he wants to" and seeing how it colors their opinion.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Todd and Aaron are in that movie and Rocco and Shawn from Mega64 are credited as themselves so we still don't know who is Todd and who is Aaron.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

For a sec I thought SNL had made a show about the Pete Davidson SNL character Chad which sounds like a really dumb show idea.

Full disclosure: A Night at the Roxbury came out when I was young enough that I still consider it a worthwhile watch and a good time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Yarrrr mateys, feast yer eyes on this treasure, it be starwars_thephantomedit_tophergracecut-final2-final.mpeg.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ooh, that's good to hear. The comic has such a variety of focuses and stories that I could see a tv show either working great or botching completely. Glad to hear it's worthwhile.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

the dinner scene alone should have gotten Toni Collette an Oscar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWQVdNKUrk

Toni Collette is a powerhouse. It's unfortunate that horror is often not seen as worthy of accolades as drama. Mia Goth puts in an excellent performance in Pearl but it's in the wrong genre of movie to get recognized.

Also, do yourself a favor once you've seen X and Pearl and look up an interview with Mia Goth to hear her normal speaking voice. My jaw dropped like it did the first time I heard Idris Elba speaking after only knowing him as Stringer Bell from The Wire.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Feels like there's one performance per year from a horror movie that is really good and gets completely neglected. Elizabeth Moss in Invisible Man and Lupita Nyong'o in Us jump to mind.

Ooh yes! Elisabeth Moss was great in Invisible Man. Pretty fortunate how that movie escaped being entangled in the Dark Universe nonsense.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'm on a free trial of Peacock and it's the ad supported tier and it's pretty miserable for watching stuff. SNL has a lot of ad breaks to set up the next bit/musical act/etc and Peacock puts a minute long break in each time. (Not to mention SNL putting ads right into the drat show like bringing up Spirit airlines and Arby's every episode now, but that's another gripe) If the free trial is supposed to entice me to sub to the service it is doing a terrible job. The ad supported version I'm using feels like it should be free. I had a similar poo poo experience with Paramount a while back which had The Burbs on there but it had ads inserted throughout even on a paid subscription tier. It's pretty bad.

edit: On the flip side, Tubi had You're Next with ads but they were cool about it and just played a couple of ads before the movie and a couple after the credits. I'm fine with that!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The nice thing about peacock is ad blockers work on their ads.

Yeah, the convenience of using Chromecast on the living room TV gets in the way of this. I'm not fully anti-ad, but on a paid service like Peacock it's dumb, and on a free service like Youtube it'd be ok if they weren't cranking up the frequency to the point of absurdity.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent was a pretty fun time with a straight-up goofball Pedro.

Yeah, I thought this was gonna go too far with the whole "It's Nic Cage!" thing but they have Pedro be the sillier character and I think that was a smart choice

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Some episodes are trimmed to like one sketch.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I'll go back and watch an old one now and then and recently went back to one with Johnny Knoxville hosting back in 2005 when Jason Sudeikis first joined and it was loaded with homophobia and transphobia. I know that was way more common at the time but I was shocked at just how many sketches were "lol gays" or "eww trans". If ever they should cut down an episode it was this one.

In my memory Johnny crossdressed or played a flamboyant gay guy in like half of his bits so it's possible he just picked or pitched a bunch of those.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Mad God is pretty good. It's like a tool video and pink Floyd's the wall got together and a bunch of stuff gets murdered. I watched it dead sober but I think drugs should be involved.

Blood Machines on Shudder is pretty neat too. It's a Carpenter Brut music video mashed with a pulpy Sci Fi story with a spaceship that is also a lady and maybe also a god? If Carpenter Brut doesn't sound familiar, you've probably heard their music in the Hotline Miami games. I believe it's about an hour long total. Shudder splits it into 3 episodes but it's clearly meant to be watched as one short movie.

Not a recommendation to just Field Mousepad, if you want a weird artsy thing to watch either totally sober or enhanced in some way, it's a good selection.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Knock! At the Cabin

Did you have High Hopes for it?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

M3gan on Peacock was surprisingly good if you liked Malignant and the kind of farcical tone it had

Aww, I wish I agreed. I loved how goofy Malignant was but thought M3GAN didn't do anything memorable except for the dancing scene that was in the marketing. I thought I'd be into it but found it really bland and boring.

Edit: Don't take my word for it though, it seems like most people have enjoyed it. It just didn't do anything for me.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 25, 2023

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

If you all can tell what's in that picture then maybe I need to see my eye doc again.

I see two people, a railing, and a mechanical eagle taking flight in the lower left? There are 4 nuclear silos in the background.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I enjoyed Rogue One in theaters but then on a rewatch at home I didn't like it nearly as much.

My biggest gripe with it is that Jyn is mostly just along for the ride instead of actively participating in the story. There's the scene where the Imperial is reading off her list of offenses against the Empire and it's like, hey, show that, that list sounds like a better movie than the one I'm watching.

They do a similar thing in Guardians of the Galaxy but there I buy it because it matches up to their personalities. Jyn is so passive in Rogue One that when they read her rap sheet I go "nah, I don't believe it."

I liked Andor a lot though so mark me down as another. Only complaint I have with Andor is that the logo coming into view at the start of each episode feels like it takes several full minutes.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It's quick??

If it does a variation of the theme that's pretty cool but my dense rear end didn't notice it at all.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It feels long to me but yeah I bet it's actually pretty short especially compared to a sequence like Game of Thrones or something. Sorry for this dumb derail haha, it's a good show and that's why my only complaint is a nitpicky one.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Orphan is on Hoopla which may be available through your library. I watched it last month and thought it'd be a bit sillier than it is but it's played pretty straight.

Had a funny moment where while watching with my wife listening in the other room I said out loud "ok, my theory is that she's not actually a little girl, she just looks like one. That makes a lot of the reveals about her make sense." Then like 5 minutes later that was confirmed by the movie.

I think it helped that I didn't know anything about the movie prior to watching so I wasn't really looking for a twist of any kind. It always bugs me when marketing around a movie emphasizes that you won't believe the shocking twist ending because then you're primed to watch the movie looking for anything suspicious.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 11, 2023

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Haha I also remember finishing the movie and thinking, "feels like that was about something but whatever it was went over my head." Someone will probably call us both dumbasses, but whatever.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The nice thing about art is that you can still appreciate and enjoy it even if you don't fully understand whatever the creator was trying to say. Like, the people who just root for Walter White and think Skylar is a big meanie still enjoy the show even if they're probably not fully engaging with the themes.

Another example would be something like Mulholland Drive. I don't fully understand what is happening and what it all means, but if you ask me how the scene with the Cowboy made me feel... Buddy, riveted. Transfixed. Betty's audition? Dude. Etc etc.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Upsidads posted:

It's good and well paced look at a journalist hunting leads

Does Keira do a Boston accent? I can't even imagine what that would sound like. If she does I'll have to watch.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Upsidads posted:

Man two for two
Just watched "I see you"
Just rubbish writing

veni veni veni posted:

I watched I see you tonight, thinking I was watching a new movie because netflix has been pumping it up just to realize half way in that I already watched that poo poo 3 years ago on Netflix(?) when it came out. Absolutely terrible but sort of fun.

Helen Hunt looks wildly hosed up now like the prometheus alien but with no lips.

Any idea why this movie has resurfaced lately? It showed up on my chromecast like it's a new release that I might be interested in. When I first saw the mask years ago when I saw a poster for this years ago I thought it might be a horror parody based on how silly the mask looked. When I watched a trailer I realized, nope, it's totally serious. I'm still kinda perplexed with this thing popping up so much recently. I wanna say I saw a clickbait article about it recently too, like "This hidden gem thriller is available on Netflix right now" something like that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

No idea. It was #1 in Netflix movies and was so forgettable the first time they totally duped me into watching it again lol.

Ha! Well, I feel better knowing it wasn't just me going insane and seeing it everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

As someone who doesn't watch the show, it has been funny seeing people on Twitter post clips from it like: "I can't believe they did this!" and the clip is someone closing a laptop or leaning back in a chair.

I'm sure there's context if you're familiar with the show but as an outsider it's been pretty funny.