Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Black Summer has its goofy elements, like the kids in the booby trapped school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeinPanzer posted:

It’s hard to understand now, but with the rapid changes in sexual mores after the 1950s many progressive thinkers viewed pedophilia as a legitimate sexual orientation that had wrongly been tarred as aberrant. This is a good—and horrifying—example of what this kind of thinking led to:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/07/26/the-german-experiment-that-placed-foster-children-with-pedophiles

What about this suggests they were progressive thinkers?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gold Head Kirsten Dunst is a great avatar for somebody.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Buying a movie from Youtube seems like a mug's game.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Turkish Pontypool sounds cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm watching The Pledge on Hulu, which is fine, but the print they used is noticeably scratched up. I don't mind it too much, but isn't there a process most films get sent through to digitally clean up white and black freckles that pop up for a frame or two?

Lmao.

Back in the day on Amazon Prime sometimes you will see someone hit "play" from a bootleg VCD menu. On occasion you can catch this on Tubi, something that is clearly just a VHSRIP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 25, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inspector Hound posted:

There should be an option to add them to newer movies, like putting record scratches into digital albums

Speaking of, shocked this is still up but it was so cool:

http://thevhsvault.com/

Seeing boutique houses actually promote their VHS and Laserdisc preservation stuff is cool.

But seriously, yeah they do as little work as possible bringing this stuff to you. Might as well credit the crack team that brought you prebaked subtitles at that point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 25, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bird in a Blender posted:

If you want to see what a psychopath con-man looks like, go watch BS High on Max. It's about Bishop-Sycamore "High School". I put the high school part in quotes because it turned out that this wasn't actually a school at all, and this guy was just lying to a bunch of kids and families about it so he could try to start up a private high school football team. It all gets exposed when BS plays IMG Academy on ESPN and gets thoroughly embarrassed. Ron Johnson speaks freely in the movie and it's a little terrifying to watch. Prepare to be mad.

They're on a roll, the Telemarketers doc was incredible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://cordcuttersnews.com/tubi-th...-cutting-grows/

The real "secret" of streaming is that there is plenty of money in it, it's just slow and steady. It doesn't wildly jerk around from here to there and it has ads, just reliably maintains a catalog of old stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sorry but I have strong expectations that the “people who sit around and watch TV” market will grow explosively year after year

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

anatomi posted:

Am I misremembering or is De Niro's character's name something like Lou Cipher? lol

Good movie though.

Louis Cypher, yeah, lol.

isaboo posted:

when Angel Heart came out I took a very devout Christian girl to see it and she was not happy!

kick rear end movie

50/50 on a handjob from getting a devout Christian girl all worked up like that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's funny is that unlike most of their films, Mortal Kombat 1 will make a substantial profit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man, I'm talkin about the game. Movie might as well not even have happened.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Midnight Mass is gonna be his apex no matter what.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Upsidads posted:

Skinamarink might be considered the worst honest attempt at making a horror movie I have seen. It reminds me of Battlefield Earth where the director thought that the entire movie should be Dutch angles. This is as fundamentally unsound.
The movies subjects are almost never in frame. Not even partially in frame. Its mostly just odd angle shots of nothing with pounds of film grain added.
There is audio so poorly mixed (intentionally) the movie has captions.
It starts with a statement that it had covid protocols in place to ensure the safety of the crew and actors. I could argue that that is very accurate as over the course of 130 minutes it almost has no actors and frankly evidence of a crew beyond a camera

You really gotta stop and think about some of this stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's really funny to say "half the time the characters are not in frame, and they don't speak clearly". This movie sure is made in a strange way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And there was no crew (?)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sure, but you should probably not make it seem like you were actively trying to not understand the intent. Use your words better than that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same reason (or justification) all the streamers have gone in on original content: the potential market of people who just want to watch old stuff does not grow or even change appreciably.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Basically when you're selling content to a streamer you have to ask yourself: Tubi, or not Tubi? That is the question.

Booo!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ads pay more than subscriptions. It's why Prime is going entirely ad-supported.

They literally just reinvented syndication, it's really funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is an unnecessarily aggressive response for some common sense poo poo.I don't have solid numbers nor do I have direct statements that pure-ad services pull better money than subscription-only services because those aren't easy to compare (per user? per view?) but here's an article referencing that Netflix makes more money per user on average from the lowest subscription plan plus ads than they do from no-ads premium subscribers. The fact that Amazon saw good enough numbers from their freevee platform to push that as the basic service for everyone and the fact that most of the major platform owners also own FAST services (Fox Corp owns Tubi, Paramount owns Pluto, Amazon as previously noted owns FreeVee) sure indicates that it's an extremely profitable revenue stream, enough to undercut their subscription platforms.

It's not extremely profitable so much as it's reliably profitable, which is more important. Many of these businesses have zero fundamentals, they straight up change what their product is supposed to be on a whim. It was easier for Netflix to get away with this when it was the only game in town.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

smackfu posted:

I wonder if they can do AI upscaling on some of the older stuff? I was watching Newsradio the other day and it is looking pretty rough.

I would strongly recommend that they not do this poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Much better that it simply looks as it did rather than slapping the 2XSAI filter on it. Not remotely an improvement to have an "old" show look like a Megaman sprite comic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
We've seen what AI upscaling looks like in GTA 3 and pictures of the moon, it's not going to make a syndicated TV show from the 90s look "good", just weird.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I get feeling like that if you make a living in the industry, but I don't really have any motivation to humour it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know what you're talking about. It's not very good!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Before they "upgrade" the masters of a show shot pre-HD and lose the hard drives in a junkyard in Arizona or something, they should make sure the upgrade doesn't look like poo poo first.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Preserving things from TV is in such a bad state in the first place with rightsholders lazily subbing out real music tracks and the like. When it came time to show stuff in HD there was so little care for how these shows were originally intended to be aired that you had the infamous Malcolm in the Middle open matte "HD" stuff. While that was funny it should show you how little they give a poo poo, putting it in the AI blender at whatever stage of development it's at just doesn't seem wise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watch Purgatory House on Tubi as soon as you loving can
You're welcome

???? Lol

Will do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seriously.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sorta.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You'll get it when you turn 18.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Beavis and butthead reboot season 2 is somehow better than the first one

I'm honestly impressed how well they threaded the needle. Beavis and Butthead as a youtube commentary channel was an obvious move, I suppose.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Leave the World Behind is an aggressively stupid movie

Produced by the Obamas (notable residents of the Hamptons) is almost like a punchline.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's one more bad Letterbox'd poster?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Netflix Mandated Easter Eggs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brocktoon posted:

I don’t understand the appeal of Tubi and Pluto. I don’t care what content they have, no loving way am I going back to ads.

Better selection than literally every other streaming service. That's the appeal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Also adblockers work and I usually watch tubi stuff on a pc. However I do think tubi has the fewest ads of the streaming services I've used on devices. Hulu is the worst offender I've experienced

Doesn't every Hulu paid tier also include ads??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hulu has always been rear end. Even back in the day when Netflix was a little interesting I hated Hulu.