Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I really enjoyed KIMI on HBO Max. The climax was incredible and even though I’ve been pining for a mashup of the final girl trope and weaponized home automation, it caught me completely off guard. Absolute riot, highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I want to watch something Sherlock Holmes related.

Are there any good shows?

I know "Sherlock" is highly rated but I watched this video which made it seem...not good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

But it's Youtube so they may exaggerate.

It’s been years since I watched it, but there’s a lot to not like about BBC Sherlock. It’s really uneven and I’d probably agree (without watching that video) that it’s generally bad

That said, I think it has some good poo poo going for it. Like the few Moriarty episodes are pretty funny. Holmes is written as an asexual and terminally autistic, and Moriarty by contrast is a flamboyantly gay psychopath

BBC Sherlock is more episodic than serialized and there were multiple episodes (such as the painfully self-aware, tumblr fan-serving premiere after the Reichenbach finale) I straight up tapped out of bc I wasn’t down w the monster of the week or whatever, but the format lends itself well to that. I’d say give it a shot if you’re interested in the source material

As an aside, my last name is Moriarty, and for my entire life I’ve gotten Kerouac / Conan Doyle poo poo from strangers, although in the post-BBC and Guy Ritchie era it’s almost exclusively been the latter. I travel a lot for work and if I check in at hotel early, it’s about an even money bet the clerk will autistically harangue me about their love of BBC Sherlock. It’s insane to me how often this happens. My life is Hell. So I’m massively biased against the source material, and probably the show could be better than I’m willing to give it credit for

e: if you haven’t seen it, I think Luther is a better bad BBC show about a detective, fwiw

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 16, 2022

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Please don't judge me but I remember watching the DVD commentary and it's mentioned that the director allowed him to do that to give his character a unique trait. Not sure why I remember that

Lol I watched the DVD commentary too and I remember it was full of a lot of “the actor thought it’d be a good idea, and I decided they were right.” Another specific one that comes to mind is Christian Bale inexplicably having blood coming out of his sleeve before he goes all gun-kata on the computer room

Streaming killing commentary tracks really sucks honestly

e: and since we are sharing favorite Equilibrium moments, mine are Angus Macfadyen’s facial expression / double chin during his entire fight scene at end and Christian Bale surfing the door after the SWAT guys blow the hinges, with the rail / track for the effect plainly visible the entire shot

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 24, 2022

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Fresh on Hulu is a riot.

Don’t really have much to say about it except that it’s in the same vein as (the superior) Promising Young Woman. I.e., Fresh takes the premise “dating!” and the thesis “men are trash” (in the most played out, rosé-all-day Twitter sense), and then somehow it has its own voice and not a grating one.

My girlfriend had some minor visceral reactions to the body horror elements, but not nearly as strongly as she did to Possessor which she couldn’t finish. So to some degree I think it succeeded in making those kinds of horror / thriller elements more accessible for a wider audience, which is an achievement. A less charitable take could be that it was watered down, though I never felt that way.

Won’t be recommending it to my mom though, lol.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Finally got around to watching A Field in England on Hulu last night. Extremely good psychedelic folk horror vibes. Definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoyed In the Earth.

Nihonniboku posted:

how now publicists are doing this thing where they are paying money to publications to mention their clients as being snubbed for major awards when they were never in the running and weren't being put up for nominations by their studios or networks in the first place.

I mean, it worked for DiCaprio lol

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

im goin thru the hbo max library now is there anything that stands out? I watched hacks already it was v good

Scanning the "max originals" page, these stand out to me:

Peacemaker
Raised by Wolves
Our Flag Means Death
Search Party
Doom Patrol
Zack Snyder's Justice League (lol)
Tokyo Vice

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah idk how but I was sleeping on a John Brown show, so thanks for bringing up Good Lord Bird. Only an episode in but I’m enjoying it so far.

Another show I was sleeping on until recently, Primal on HBO Max, is extremely good and unique. It’s a hyper-violent action/horror cartoon with essentially no dialogue that’s about a cave man and a dinosaur teaming up and wrecking poo poo in a Sid Meier style fantasy world where everything from the Jurassic to the medieval period (so far, going from memory) exist simultaneously. Really impressive visual storytelling. The show has a lot more emotional depth than it ought to.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

BonoMan posted:

What? There is nothing nostalgia baiting about Dark.

Idk maybe some Germans tried to engineer 80s nostalgia bait and ended up making Dark

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Maybe there was a lot more blackface in SNL than we remember

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Imagine if they made Chernobyl into an American Horror Story style anthology show and did a second season about Fukushima with the same cast

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Yes, watch Creep 2. I’m bummed they haven’t come up with an idea for Creep 3 yet. Probably my favorite found footage “franchise”

Speaking of found footage franchises, I just discovered there are eleven Bad Ben films, with a twelfth on the way in July. I really liked the first one, haven’t seen the rest. Anyone know if they’re worth checking out?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I kinda recall hearing that The Leftovers gets better as it goes along? Finally getting around to it after years of raves, and the first two episodes aren't exactly pulling me in.

Yeah, a lot of people felt that way after the first two episodes, especially when the show first aired, so when I recommend the show to someone I advise reserving judgment until watching the first three episodes.

Odds are good the third episode will help pull you in.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Renfield was dumb fun. My partner and I liked it anyway. Nice to see over-the-top action that isn’t self-serious John Wick tactical realism poo poo IMO.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Finally got around to watching The Meg on Max. It was fine.

re: the earlier S. Craig Zahler chat, I read his western novels (A Congregation of Jackals and Wraiths of the Broken Land) and I liked them. It’s harder for me to read the crypto-nazi stuff into his movies having read those books. I’ll admit I haven’t seen The Littlest Reich, though…

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

BonoMan posted:

And I mean how do you NOT utilize Keefe in a loving grain silo rescue mission? Seems like they were setting it up and everything. I was ready for him to have his day and just unleash

Hard same. I was hyped for Amber, Keefe and BJ to go up against the militia. What we ultimately got with Gideon and Redeemer was honestly better tv, but I’m still bummed

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Totally Killer was pretty good. I enjoyed the way it subverted my expectations w/r/t 80s nostalgia bait by focusing on the dumb bad stuff (second hand smoke, drunk driving, the FBI shirt, bad weed, bullying, etc)

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

girl boss neoliberal Craig S Zahler

lol that’s quite the description. can you elaborate on what you mean here?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

James Spader on the treadmill in Secretary (2002) always comes to mind when I think of sweaty cinema

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Wasn’t Lost really popular with normies? That’s how I remember it c. 2005-2006 anyway

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What’s the ratio of chappies to mutants?

Pretty low. I don’t think there’s ever more than two chappies on screen at once.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Dream Scenario rules. Best Nic Cage performance since Pig (but doesn’t quite top Pig for me, either)

It’s nice that Cage has been more selective with his roles of late, he had veered into Steven Seagal territory for a while there

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Legends of the Hidden Temple is a close runner up, but for me the best Nickelodeon was Double Dare whenever Marc Summers was having the OCD equivalent of a manic episode

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Conor McGregor’s performance was distractingly bad, same with the CGI, but overall I enjoyed Road House as a forgettable action movie

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Even though I liked it overall, JGL’s makeup was super distracting for me too when Looper came out. The prosthetics reminded me of Mickey Rourke in Sin City. Just really out of place in Looper aesthetically

Now I wonder if Looper was conceived as “JGL in heavy makeup doing a voice” and the time travel is secondary to that

I guess I need to rewatch it too

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Speaking of Alain Delon, Le Samouraï (on Max and Tubi) is a banger

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, when I was talking to my coworkers about Road House shortly after its release, I referenced A MIRACLE’s earlier post (below) as a perfect description of McGregor’s performance.

It’s honestly the only explanation that makes sense.

A MIRACLE posted:

I think the director told Conor to do his best Taz impression and he did a pretty good job from that perspective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

I haven’t read the book but it’s my understanding that the show is faithful to it.

It would’ve been funny if instead of adapting the book they adapted the author’s mundane life as a reporter who would later fabricate the events described in the book.