Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

The trailers for season 1 just looked like a The Good Place rip off, with an uncharismatic lead that it just didn't look interesting. Is it actually good?

It was enjoyable, it can kind of be viewed as inspired by The Good Place, but instead of ethics and philosophy it's capitalism and identity.

Basic setting information when death is imminent a digital copy of your consciousness can be created and uploaded to an 'afterlife' controlled by which ever conglomerate you had a contract with. Part cellphone plan/part mmo your contract determines how much data your consciousness is allowed to use each month and what you have access to without buying DLC. Stuff like what it's like for people who can't afford the best, if you're a digital upload are you still you if memory gets corrupted, and internet black markets are addressed at some point in later episodes as well as a few darker things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty good movie with some ridiculous, nonsensical behavior from a character in the 3rd act, and I think Bradley Cooper is one tier of acting ability too low to pull off the main character.

Art design was unreal though. I would - possibly literally - murder someone to have Cate Blanchett's office

I think I would've liked to see the version where Leo didn't pull out to do Don't Look Up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Field Mousepad posted:

Sounds pretty normal to me. I'm a somewhat old person though

It does ring true, one of the best parts of the old weekly Lost threads were the piles of giffed moments posted right before the thread closed and the new one opened.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXN1v8yuCk

My favorite thing from Equilibrium is the Mona Lisa detector from the start of the film. You point it at a painting and it says VERIFIED if it's the Mona Lisa. Very specialized piece of equipment.

Mine is the special effects on Diggs' face at the end.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Polygon actually tracked down the etymology and yeah it was a regularly used term. 40 years ago when you scored high enough to get a free play in Pac Man.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

Well, his girlfriend died and he's trying to bring her back to life. Not really the kind of relationship drama you can look back from. At least until you've killed all 12 colossi.

Could used more sexy banter with the horse though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

HBO Max doesn't have Tales from the Crypt or Witch Hunt so what's the fuckin point

Really disappointed about Witch Hunt, it even has a landing page that isn't turned on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
When they say copyright hell, they mean it. Nobody knows who currently has the rights to the series. Like 5 companies claim they do, but none can provide definitive contracts that said that rights were included in the associated sales.

M. Night was going to do a reboot 10 years ago but the production company walked away from half a mil in preproduction when they saw what the lawyers fees would be to untangle it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Actually I should have double checked if there were any updates. It was resolved just before Christmas of last year. Turns out Joel Silver's production company legally owned the rights all along. When he found out they ceded them back to William Gaines' estate.

Maybe WB will license it back in time to put it on HBO Max for Halloween.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

precision posted:

no that's lena dunham, the one that isn't funny

They did both attack women who accused their friends of rape though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is there a lot of drug content? RE that spoiler.

Not really more than you'd expect a big through line in the series is Motley Crue is past their prime and there's a scene where Tommy Lee has a freak out because they've been bumped to Studio B so Third Eye Blind can record in Studio A.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looking forward to Mr. Halo taking his helmet off to reveal John Krasinski.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Bomb, bomb, bomb... of course! The Riddler is hiding out at a showing of the new Fantastic Beasts movie!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Now, now Batman I didn't think the movie was that bad, I'd give it maybe a 'C'.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The only chatter I've heard about him is that some of the metadata on the Olivia Wilde photos that leaked a few months ago points to him being the one that leaked them. The timing during their custody hearings certainly didn't help the look either.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ymgve posted:

I mean, I'd be pissed if they suddenly took The Wire and Sopranos off to rotate them, I assume that's stuff that BonoMan meant with "their own" catalog

No, stuff produced by HBO never rotates.
Stuff owned by WB will rotate because, even they're owned by the same company, HBO still needs to pay licensing costs to the division that owns the rights.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Starks posted:

I like it because I find anything by David Simon extremely watchable, although some of the time jumping confuses my small brain.

Also lol that the second episode has like 3 direct quotes/references from The Wire, on top of all the recurring actors.

There's a couple quotes he uses through all his Baltimore shows, simply because they're real quotes from cops when he was embedded with Homicide for a year.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LifeLynx posted:

Remember when actors playing multiple characters in a comedy movie was set up to be the hot new thing? What mercifully killed that, was it Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill?

I decided to never even try it when the plot to the show turned out to be "there is a canal that runs the world, it's 5 white dudes, they're cool and the world would be so much worse if the white people weren't in control

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 6, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The scene in Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie makes more sense now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Glottis posted:

The 2D animation in Chip n' Dale just looks like a more polished version of Joel Haver's youtube stuff. It's clearly not hand-drawn but I think it looks fine.

I thought the movie was enjoyable. It's got plenty of pandering but it's interesting to see that Disney is capable of producing something in 2022 that leans closer to Who Framed Roger Rabbit than WB's Space Jam 2, which was just awful.

Missed opportunity by not having a joke about the MMO.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Modern Leper posted:

RRR is a loving blast, and as ridiculous as anything you've heard about it, but it definitely also does as much for Hindu nationalism as Top Gun did for the Navy.

So do you mean like Indian Sovereignty or the Hindu Nationalism espoused by the current President of India?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I dont know where pr if they're streaming but I'd recommend

Cache'
With a Friend Like Harry
The Gift
Cop Car

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s a good wuxia to watch. Like if you could only pick one

Also in the mood for some Indian bro comedy suggestions like Three Idiots and Delhi Belly

Last Hurrah for Chivalry, one of John Woo's earliest films and one of his few Wuxia films. English dub only though.

People call me Pray, because when someone touches my sword, I pray when I kill them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
From what I understand it's a direct result of Bill Hader's frustration that people were missing the point.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One of the soundest sleeps I ever had was putting his Christmas episode on last Christmas Eve.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've been suffering with gonna face blindness for the last week. I kept seeing the Black Bird trailers and just assuming it was Tom Holland not Taran Egerton.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok I’m in the mood for slow burn north euro / uk crime dramas hit me with suggestions pls thread ty

Giri/Haji is on Netflix, Dark is more of a mystery box show but feels like Mare of Easttown.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Only watched the first episode of the new Resident Evil but it seems to occupy a better space then the movies. Its doing the mandatory two timelines thing but its not shying away from the creepier mutant animals the T Virus creates and Lance Reddick is great as Wesker.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Glottis posted:

Wow. Resident Evil is impressively bad. Usually I watch all this genre garbage but after 1 episode I'm done.

Almost feels like they adapted some other random zombie script, that hadn't yet been picked up because it wasn't especially good, and slapped "Resident Evil" on it. I don't think it's a sacred IP or anything so it's not like it "ruins" Resident Evil, it's just a show that lacks interesting... anything.

It's a couple of things but generic script with RE slapped onto it definitely isn't one the show makes repeated references to the first three games and the girls uncovering what happened there is a big part of the middle of the season. Plus there's half an episode dedicated to running around the house doing the escape room bit that the games love so much.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

B-Rock452 posted:

Warrior owns (show and movie) but Banshee (by one of the producers of warrior) is also on HBO max and that show kicks all sorts of rear end. Just some incredible fights and action.

Also how has no one recommended We Own This City. I know it was recent but it's fantastic

Only knock I've ever had against Warrior is that it needs a lot more "gently caress your mother" s to sound authentically Chinese.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hey man CIA burns an operative as part of a cover up is such a fresh interesting idea it can be hard to wrap your head around it

Unrelated edit: just saw Roku remade Swimming with Sharks but judging from the trailer it's really an All about Eve remake?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 29, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MacheteZombie posted:

Lance Reddick in full leather with the flat top haircut about killed me. I laughed so hard at that.

And then Bert saying 'The real Wesker was a real piece of work, but don't about him, he died. in a volcano "

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Starks posted:

That rumoured explanation doesn’t really make sense to me. It’s a finished 90m dollar movie. Unless it’s insanely offensive somehow, anything would be better than shelving it.

Its not finished, there was still a chunk of post to do on it.

There's a special tax credit a studio can take for a production that's filmed but never aired for whatever reason. Someone probably did some analysis and decided that they'd make more money from the credit then they would spending the money on finishing it and airing it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

Sorry, Our Flag Means Death being (super likely) canceled means no more pirate fun for anyone :colbert:

They just announced yesterday they're about to start production.

They just seem to be cutting Max Original content, if something is making money they might just move it over to HBO proper.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Srice posted:

As a man I love to "lean in" and watch scripted content by appointment only.

Well if Discovery+ is going to be bringing me Genre Doms maybe it won't be all bad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They said there's also a version in Comanche they'll be releasing in a few weeks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And because it's been said a few times, Comanche is from the Shoshoni, not Iroquois.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

Is the Sandman show actually good? What's it comparable to?

It's a faithful recreation of the world's second favorite goth' live journal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is your wife easily scared by showtunes and the chance an actor will break into them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does surreal count as sci fi enough for you? I'll always recommend After Hours when people want urban sprawl movies.