Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, I'm all down with "things used to be better back in the day!", but television is absolutely not one of them.

I would never want to go back to the days of spending almost $100 a month in today's money, and end up only watching four or five channels for the month.

He's not making an earnest "back in my day" remark. He's just making a joke how they're all splintering off so much that, to get all the shows you want to watch you'll eventually have to subscribe to them all... So at that point it's just like cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yes

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I happened to read the book (which I loved) so I knew it wasn't typical apocalypse fare... But there's no marketing to really let people know that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mystes posted:

It's funny because Netflix had a really good recommendation system and even had a big competition to improve it but they had to throw all that out the window because in its current form it doesn't have enough content so 1) they pretty much have to show all new content to everyone, and 2) they don't want customers to be able to see that the system is predicting that the entire library will be 2-3 out of five stars for them.

Netflix has a fuckload of content what are you on about? And the 2-3 star issue wasn't an issue when the star rating system was around.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They have a lot of content but not a lot of good content.

That's not true either what the hell is wrong with you people? There is a shitload of good content on Netflix.

There's a lot of stuff across tons of genres so there's always going to be a lot of noise to a person's taste, but there is still quite a lot of high quality content.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also as an aside I recommend people check out the Land of the Giants podcast series. Each season covers the rise and future of a tech giant. The Netflix and Apple seasons are great. The Google and Amazon ones are good too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Everyone, including me, wants what we very much can't have: the Netflix of the early 2010's. It was awesome!

I want the timeline where Qwikster still exists

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mystes posted:

Perhaps I phrased that poorly. They have been accumulating original content so they now have a decent amount when you include their back catalog. However people who have been subscribed continuously for a long time are going to have already seen most of that that they are interested, and at the rate they create content, in terms of new content they pretty much do have to "show all new content to everyone" to have additional, new content to promote as I said; it's very different from when it was a DVD rental service and they had essentially every movie ever made, so they could just find out what people were interested in and recommend tons of additional movies based on individual preferences.

They also have plenty of content that people are going hopefully to feel is worth watching in various genres, but they explicitly announced that the reason they switched away from star ratings because they felt that there would be content that people would want to watch that they wouldn't feel was 5 stars (in other words most of their content is going to be stuff that people would rate 3 stars but would still be willing to watch) so I don't think that's really something that can be disputed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-netflix-replaced-its-5-star-rating-system-2017-4

That's a good explanation of why they changed it (and also next of rating weaponization). I don't think they explicitly said what you said they did. But I'm not a closed book on it. Open to other sources.

I mean I'm going to make an effort post about it later... But I have been subscribed since they start streaming and haven't even come close to seeing everything. Not by a country mile.

Maybe someone that binges all day everyday? I don't know. But there is tons still left for me to see.

I also don't agree that they're churning our utter poo poo. And the 1 out of 20 shows is worth watching is pretty laughable. I mean maybe if you have super niche tastes but there's a lot of high quality stuff out there.

I love HBO and they have always been the gold standard for high quality, but I feel like they totally have the slowest trickle of content out of the major streamers. It feels like Apple TV level of output.

I think Patriot was the last thing I watched on Prime lol.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There's something for everyone on nearly all of these. Not sure why people feel the need to get so console warrior about it.

The only thing I wish is that Netflix had a smaller plan. Like... Maybe just a Netflix Originals plan that was 7.99 or whatever.

I know it's because of the low amount of content at the moment but Apple+ pricing is fantastic.

Also apropos of nothing. HBO Max has the single worst backend and UI. It always kicks me out for some reason. I constantly have to resign in. And the playback UI is atrocious.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

punk rebel ecks posted:

I will say saying that they are like AppleTV+ is far too harsh.

I was saying that only in reference to what I felt their new show trickle was like. Not overall content!

edit: So I just popped on to Netflix real quick to look at the content. Specificially at a couple of carousel's with just Netflix content.

Here's what I've seen some or all of - not listing anything else. This is stuff I consider very watchable and/or fun content.

Don't Look Up
After Life
The Queen's Gambit
Dead to Me
The End of the loving World (so good)
Derry Girls
Maid
Tick, Tick... Boom!
The Movies that Made Us
The Haunting of Hill House
Back to the Outback
Squid Game
Arcane
School of Chocolate
High Score
Sweet Tooth
The Crown
The Toys That Made Us
A Series of Unfortunate Events
Baking Impossible
The Great British Bake Off
Grace and Frankie
Our Planet
Peaky Blinders
Dark
Bloodline
Midnight Mass
Arrested Development
Mindhunter
Formula 1: Drive to Survive
A Boy Called Christmas
Stranger Things
The Witcher
Hellbound
Ozark
Queer Eye

All of that is on just a couple of carousels. I didn't even dig into the catalog. And again - just the one's I've seen some or all of. Not even listing the stuff that I've heard is good but haven't gotten around to yet.

There is a *shitload* of good content on Netflix and I'd argue that if you can't find it (other than having some one off "I only watch anime" niche or something) you just aren't looking.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 24, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess what is "looking" in 2022. Unless you're getting fed stuff in the carousel, what is actually a meaningful way to find shows of interest? In the linear days, you had TV Guide to get synopses and whatnot, or you could just bounce around the channels and see what caught your eye on Wednesday at 8. Hell, even when cable made that onerous, you could just sit on the GUIDE channel and get a rundown of what was around.

Netflix has eliminated most of its own public facing categorization and curation, certainly in its tv-based interactions, and most of their stuff relies on licensed or created originals so it's not even as if you can say "I missed a season of that show/missed this big movie." You mostly only know about something if Netflix tells you it's there. If you're someone who's not terminally online, how do you even know what's available, much less what's good beyond the big tentpoles?

EDIT: This is true for all of them, but I feel Hulu and HBO have done a better job of straight genre or subject matter searching.

The best "looking" is word of mouth of course - but that doesn't apply to everyone of course.

I'm not sure I agree with eliminating public facing categorization and curation? My feed is nothing but curated genre specific carousels for the most part.

But Netflix does have a newer "let's just watch something" feature that, for lack of a better analog, is kind of like the guide in the sense that it enables you to just start poking around.

Mostly though it was geared towards the people here that are just like "Netflix doesn't have anything lol" or "A Korea show was big on Netflix so apparently the entire service is upheld by Korean TV" - those kind of folks are totally able to dig deeper or hop on JustWatch or Decider or whatever.

There's lots of resources that may require being online - just not terminally so.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

david_a posted:

People really need to specify what the client is running on when they complain about it. On a tvOS Apple TV, the Apple TV app is arguably worse than HBO Max. Max is a bit slower but that’s about it. The Apple TV app being both a client for their service and a content hub (that other apps have to opt-in to) is not a great experience.

I remember when HBO Now first launched and that was virtually unusable on the old hockey puck Apple TV 3, both due to poo poo streaming quality and a garbage client (for example, you couldn’t add a TV show to your list, just individual episodes).

I'm on a 2019 TCL 6 Series RokuTV.

Performance wise, they're both "ok" with HBO Max definitely being slower.

But independent of sluggishness and just going on their UI/UX experience - the HBOMax app is just *bad design*. The playback experience and options available are just bad and terrible.

Netflix is still the king in terms of "what's available to me when I pause/and in realtime playback (ff, rw, etc)"

Actually Disney+ may have the worst playback UI of all of them.

EDIT: Also ironically we're doing a big budget crunch and Netflix, b/c of price, is #1 on the chopping block. But I do like it. I know it feels like I'm stanning for them, but really I want everyone to enjoy everything and find something fun to watch everywhere!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tokelau All Star posted:

I hate hate that on my Roku TV i have to exit back to the loving homescreen settings to toggle subtitles on Disney+ and HBO Max, then go back in. Especially since the stuff I watch on those are most likely to have the loud as hell action scene vs library quiet talking scene volume swing.

Yes! This is precisely what I'm talking. What the loving who thought that was good design? I think I did hear though that HBO admitted their app sucks and are working on a redesign.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
GDT's "Pinocchio" is coming to Netflix. A stop motion animated musical?

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1485613391561560066?s=20

quote:

Directed by del Toro & Mark Gustafson with an all-star cast: Ewan McGregor as Cricket, David Bradley as Geppetto, Gregory Mann as Pinocchio, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman with Christoph Waltz and Tilda Swinton.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Star rating systems are garbage anyway. It used to be interesting but it's just sort of a dumb revenge tool now.

Honestly finding someone whose opinion you trust is the best method, then after that I liked the dual rating system of critics.and audience scores of rotten tomatoes. It's not impervious either but it's a decent judge.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or use Criticker which automates the process of finding people whose opinion you trust.

This is *awesome*

It did take me a while to find 10 moves I'd seen (through it's "load more" option) and the ones I did end up rating weren't like... movies I particularly cared about.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Perestroika posted:

I absolutely couldn't get into Nobody, it was just so blatantly a sad midlife crisis power fantasy. The whole plot basically boils down to "Protagonist is called a pussy, stumbles upon an unrelated bunch of russian mafia, and turns out to be totally a secret super badass who beats them all up". Though in fairness, the action is solidly choreographed and shot.

Actually Odenkirk wrote it as therapy when he actually was involved in a home invasion and his inaction (which of course is the right thing to do) planted some deep seated guilt about an inability to protect his family.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nihonniboku posted:

I read a summary for the book the other day, and the prophet is handled very differently: He's actually raping all those kids that follow him, and Kirsten actually kills him, there is no happy reunion with his mother.

Small correction: Kirsten doesn't kill him - one of his child followers does just as he's cornered Kirsten and her group. Then the kid kills himself as Kirsten pleads with him not too. It's... sad. But at the same time the prophet line is pretty low key in the book. It's definitely not the main story and wraps up well before the end of the book.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I like Encanto and the music... but understand it's a matter of taste.

But the story... man that was not my take on it at all. The gifts they receive aren't their choice. They're born with them. The idea is that they all seem like a blessing at first, but in reality - as we discover - they are all struggling to deal with the "gift" and what it does to their life. It's not always a blessing. They aren't terrible people. They're just struggling with what they have and what people perceive of them and any standards they must uphold because of that. It seemed to be a pretty basic "love your family for their individual oddities rather than trying to expect so much of them" story. I don't think it was more complicated than that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know we just got off of "lol Netflix isn't making anything good" chat but here's their 2022 Movie Preview and seems pretty fun to me (and this is just movies, not shows)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTI6T5M8Fj0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m on board but kinda loling at them shooting Netflix ads in the middle of filming their movie scenes

It's, like, Peak Netflix. So indicative of what they want to do.

which is control it all

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

precision posted:

when they said google was evil, i said lol
when they said facebook was evil, i said lmao
when they said netflix was evil, i had nothing left to roflmao about

Too long for thread title?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just finished Station Eleven and, man, holy poo poo was that good. Takes a few episodes to get into its groove and then its just great to the end.

I loved the book. Loved loved loved it and this, I would almost say, is better. But they are *wildly* different. This is basically a reimagining of the book, not an adaptation.

But I'm not mad at that. I love that we get these two stories, in two mediums, told pretty radically different.

poo poo. So good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is by far my preferred approach with any book to film/tv adaptation. Annihilation was similar.

Yes totally. Loved Annihilation as well (and the Southern Reach trilogy - for as impenetrable as they can be - esp book 2 and 3).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Her accent in Ozark sucked too. I'm surprised it got less pushback than it did. As a deep southern person, it was not good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Field Mousepad posted:

Peacemaker is really really good. Skip intro? I think not HBO Max

I love how, on The Morning Show on Apple TV, if you Skip Intro.... it takes you to a place where there's still like 15 seconds left.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Free Guy was really bad. And that's coming from a guy that loves schmaltz like that. The Ryan Reynolds video game stuff was totally fine and enjoyable. It was everything in the real world that was just too cringey.

But then again my 7 year old, who has just gotten into games, loved it hands down. She got super emotional at the end and it was kinda cute.

Anyway, if you want a good self aware NPC flick go check out 2005's "Stay" with Ewan McGregor, Naomi Watts and Ryan Gosling.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I love the detectorists. So much. It's one of my favorite shows ever

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm three eps into somebody somewhere on HBO Max and loving it so far. A nice quiet dramedy in a small Kansas town.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I had HBO Max through YTTV. But I paused my YTTV sub for a couple of months. However I'd still like to get HBO Max so I'm going to re-sign up for that.

Is there any benefit to doing it through Rokus interface vs just the HBO max site?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

Finished Station Eleven, what an incredible show. The ending was perfect, I hope they never make another season.

It's a limited series and there's only one book. I think it's done.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Started Search Party this weekend. Got about halfway through S2 ( last ep I watched ended with Elliot's "I NEED ICE!" scene. )

This is a great show and fun so far... but also... every character is horrible and that's kind of loving exhausting. Holy poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Paramount+ is actually fantastic if you have kids. So much good content on there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Maybe the closest example I can think of is Happy Endings except Grand Crew figured itself out faster. Caught up on the season overt the last week and what a joy.

Oh this will get me to watch. Happy Endings is one of my favorite shows and duck everything for it getting cancelled.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just finished all of Search Party and just…. Jesus Christ I can’t do anything but admire the balls of it all. Fuckin’ hell.

Also the quickest I’ve ever binged 5 seasons of a show.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Watched The Adam Project with my kids and we really enjoyed it. Very thin YA level plot and very Ryan Reynolds. But it was well paced, had some decent action and nice emotional punches for us parents.

The villain was too thin for me but the perfect level for my kids to get it.

The kid was great though. They did a good job of making him a good younger Ryan Reynolds and they had a good dynamic on screen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Severance is great. I am just loving the experience/design/everything top to bottom. I love how, all the actors, seem to have striking visual features in one way or the other. There's no plain jane people on there. Very effective casting choices.

They should give out a golden globe for "best landed line" because "You smug motherfucker" hit absolutely perfectly.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Can we spoiler Batman talk? It’s a brand new movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Blockbuster was a cautionary tale about pissing off customers and not adapting to trends and looks like Netflix is going to go out exactly the same way.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Which is funny because Netflix tried to sell themselves as to Blockbuster as their delivery arm and Blockbuster made just a large series of bad decisions as a response.

Everyone should listen to Land of the Giants season about Netflix.

I will say that I don’t think Netflix is just going to immediately collapse into nothing. They still have a much larger lead than anyone else and have a large international strategy. They’ll likely need to contract their domestic strategy, but should be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GonSmithe posted:

???
"It's not "cracking down, it's just charging you more money for the thing you're already paying too much money for."
Are you on Netflix's board or something? There's no excuse to defending their bullshit "password sharing is making us lose money" narrative, much less acting like paying more money is a reasonable solution.

I'm not saying that you can get 100% conversion rate on everyone using a shared password, but suggesting that openly allowing shared passwords *isn't* losing potential paying accounts is one helluva take.