Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Calvin Klein's "nothing comes between me and my jeans" commercial came out in '81. poo poo was super normalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
SKR rules but it is, perhaps, not for child.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Collateral posted:

Defestishising nakedness, I believe, is the point of the show.

Somehow, I'm not certain.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you look up any anime opening on youtube you're likely to get an AI upscaled to 4k version in the first five results. Some efforts look better than others, but they're all a little off and none of them are really great.

That said, those are mostly hobbyist projects, and I think some newer bluray releases of older shows do make some use of AI upscaling. Those can look quite good, but that's 1) when used by professions 2) as one tool among others.

I'm much more skeptical when it comes to working with live action material, at least with the tech I've seen so far.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inspector Hound posted:

Looney Toons is historic media and should be available somewhere at all times, the government should subsidize it if need be

The larger half of it def ought to be in the public domain by now.

Same with the mouse, of course.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

The Library of Congress needs a free streaming service.

Legitimately, yes. Moreover, so should all of the Public Broadcasting Service.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SCheeseman posted:

I would, no irony, love someone to do something stylistically similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow using the Fleischer Superman cartoons as a base.

gently caress, I'd be content with "something stylistically similar to Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SCheeseman posted:

Also if you watch The Happening as a comedy it's pretty good. The comic timing is so spot on that the idea that it's unintentionally funny, like The Room or something where the all the choices are wrong, doesn't make much sense. I'm pretty sure Shyamalan knew what he was making, I seem to recall an interview where he says as much. Not that it's a masterpiece but it was probably misunderstood, which is still a failing since clearly the movie doesn't convey that it's deadpan comedy well enough.

The backlash against Shyamalan has been so extensive that his real strengths as a director throw folks off guard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mcmagic posted:

Youtube Premium is REALLY worth it

folks are aware that adblockers exist?

edit: also consider Freetube and the like

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Papercut posted:

This might blow your mind but a lot of kids watch YouTube on tv and most people aren't gonna bother setting up a pihole or whatever

It kind of does, I figured people were just giving their kids their androids or tablets or whatever.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sometimes the takes in Cined baffle me. What was wrong with The Creator's plot beats?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Creator's needle drops are beyond criticism because it introduces the hovering bombardment platform with Fly Me to the Moon. To hell with being coy with homages, the American's straight up have a loving Angel from Evangelion!

And then in the final act, John David Washington gets to the Angel... by hijacking a space ship flying to the moon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The basic scenario is very 80s anime as well, with the male lead needing to protect a psychic girl he found in a laboratory.

It's an Hollywood take on the concept, though, so they're surrogate dad and surrogate daughter instead of two 14-year-olds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It has the feeling of a modern filmmaker bending over backwards to make their film feel like something from the 80s without really getting any of that actual feeling except on an extremely shallow level. It feels artificial and forced because it is by design.

Some people like that, but I always immediately bounce hard off it.

I think you've got this backwards. PG isn't failing to ape 80s films — it's succeeding at portraying a mid 90s sensibility to a degree that almost sucks.

Like, I knew a Mimi and a Luke in middle school. They weren't always fun people to be around (in real life).

edit: I mean all this to the films credit. Mimi being a terrible hell child is entertaining (in a movie).

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 31, 2024

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Baron von Eevl posted:

Was exosquad the mech show where they'd engage like "image enhance mode" and it would switch over to extremely crude computer animation?

I think that was the Battletech cartoon, which was largely not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Enos Cabell posted:

Hundreds of Beavers is amazing, just wildly inventive. Feels like a live action Looney Tunes and had us laughing hard throughout.

Caught it last night. Amazing film. Very smart about being very dumb.