Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://twitter.com/JimGaffigan/status/1483219585658667013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Master_Odin posted:

Has Fox or ABC announced their own streaming platforms they're going to leave Hulu for similar to NBC? Is Hulu's time to live limited?

Fox and ABC are owned by Disney. I would think Disney would continue putting stuff on Hulu that they don't think are a right fit for Disney+. Dear Victor was originally developed for Disney+, but they thought it was too risque, so they moved it to Hulu. I want to say it was the same also for the High Fidelity remake starring Zoe Kravitz?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

He should make that joke 10 years ago when it would have been clever

I mean his jokes haven't evolved in 10 years. I haven't bothered to watch his last standup special on Netflix.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm still watching the Ozarks and deep into S2 it still seems like the cartel would have just killed every character and burned their homes to the ground rather than be bothered letting this continue

I think the issue is that Michael Bluth still owes them a ton of money to be laundered, and he's still the best at his job, so that's why he's still alive?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Adrianics posted:

I keep trying to get into Ozark and am midway through S2, my main beef is that there's no reason whatsoever for every episode to be a full hour long and that the notional lead is by some distance the least interesting character. It would be a decent bingeable show at a brisk 40 minutes apiece, rather than cramming in that goddamned old man that refuses to die as if I'm supposed to give a poo poo.

I'm pretty sure that the old man dies pretty soon, and don't they send the daughter away? And Laura Linney's crazy brother is killed off at some point. So that drops a couple of the more tedious storylines.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Edward Mass posted:

Fox Corporation owns Fox. That's why Fox News hasn't changed!

Ah, okay. I just looked it up, and it's a little complicated. Disney bought the 20th Century Fox film and television studios, cable channels like FX, Fox Network Group (which oversees international tv properties bought by 20th Century Fox), and Fox's 30% stake in Hulu. Fox Broadcasting, Fox Television Networks, Fox News, and Fox Sports are owned by the Fox Corporation. I thought that only Fox News and Fox Sports were spun off from the merger, I thought Disney now owned the syndicated Fox channels as well.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

That Works posted:

Airline food... what.. is.. the deal???

Heh, I haven't even gotten meal service on my last few international flights. They expect you to buy something at the airport to carry onboard, or buy a stale sandwich on the plane.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

yeah like what... ifanything streaming lets shows get even more weird. there is no way that regular cable would have had Search Party literally become a science fiction show with Jeff Goldblum as an actual wizard

If Search Party was on Network TV, it would just them searching for a new missing person every episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I just finished season 2 of Cheer on Netflix. I'm sure it's not exactly something on the radar of most people in this crowd, but it had a huge cultural moment at the start of 2020 right before lockdown. It was a fascinating look in the world of competitive collegiate cheerleading, and you got to know some of these teammates with great personalities, and you really wanted to root for them.

So they started filming season 2, right before COVID. So between that, a fan favorite member of the cheer team from season 1 getting arrested for soliciting minors, and the fact that this is a community college so people are only there for 2 years, by the time filming picked up, almost everyone we knew from season 1 was gone. They split the season between them, and their rival community college down the road in the middle of nowhere Texas, so we couldn't spend enough time on both teams to really get to know any of the new people.

I wouldn't really recommend watching it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do they also do stuff like have their children dig up their mother’s graves, sleep with their nieces, do mindfucks of hiring hundreds of actors to have a suicidal friend think they’ve achieved stardom just to bring them down in the end, have plans to buy a boat so they can trap people to essentially force rape them in open seas, etc?

No, but they actually murder people and later create a cult that results in a zombie apocalypse destroying 99% of humans on Earth

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

It really surprises me that Station Eleven is not getting more of a reaction. I see how people can not enjoy parts of it, but it is so self contained and only 10 episodes to tell a great story -- it's not that big a commitment.

Apocalypse fatigue. We've just had so much of it over the last 12 years or so (mostly thanks to The Waking Dead), it took several episodes for Station Eleven to really differentiate itself. By the end I was absolutely enthralled, but the first few episodes were a bit of a slog to get through. I can see how a lot of people would just be turned off.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
My thing with Netflix and their original content, in the first few years that they were creating original content, they were trying to be taken seriously, and were putting a lot of effort into making sure that it was both original, and quality. They had a few misses, but maybe around 2015, if Netflix was coming out with a new show, you'd make a point to sit down and watch it.

Now they're just churning out so much utter poo poo, and only maybe 1 out of maybe 20 new shows is actually worth checking out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Euphoria: So many penises

Given HBO's propensity for gratuitous vagina, it's a nice change for once

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

Wow, did Netflix US lose the earlier seasons of GBBO somehow? Now they only have “Collections 5-9” and none of the BBC ones.

They've never had the earliest seasons, at least I don't think. PBS aired the first few seasons. 5 is the first one I watched, and I watched it on Netflix.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

I guess their contract with PBS expired so all those are gone.

Could be. The last time I looked for the excellent Mind of a Chef, it wasn't on Netflix anymore.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm watching The Gilded Age on HBO, the new show from the creator of Downtown Abbey. I don't have much hope given how quickly Downton Abbey went to poo poo. I do like the cast, Christine Baranski and Carrie Coon. But everyone looks like they filmed each scene on a green screen.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

I put off watching it because of the whole pandemic angle, but so many people told me it was really good that I finally got past it. However, the opening episode was pretty much as on-the-nose as I feared, even if it was just a coincidence.

It's a fantastic show so far, no regrets, but it does piss me off that they changed the main setting from Toronto to Chicago for seemingly no reason at all.

I have the book, but just couldn't get into it and gave up after a couple of chapters, so I didn't know the differences. Reading the wikipedia summary, it looks like they changed A LOT with the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oh poo poo Upload season 2 is in March? Hell yea

The trailers for season 1 just looked like a The Good Place rip off, with an uncharismatic lead that it just didn't look interesting. Is it actually good?

veni veni veni posted:

Station 11 was great, but some of the stuff with the prophet just didn't work at all imo. It wasn't enough to drag the show down too much but there's just too many plot holes and hand waves going on there. Everything surrounding him felt sort of ridiculous in an otherwise grounded show.

I read a summary for the book the other day, and the prophet is handled very differently: He's actually raping all those kids that follow him, and Kirsten actually kills him, there is no happy reunion with his mother.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

The shows were actually being put together at the same time Upload just took longer to finish. Greg Daniels and Michael Schur have talked about the crazy coincidence of it a few times.

IS the lead as uncharismatic as he appears in the trailer?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Euphoria this season is kinda bad. I don't care about any of the plot lines and it's basically just a really long music video that is very impressed with itself.

We're like 3 episodes in. That first episode was fantastic with Cassie in the bathroom, it was scarier than any horror film I've seen in many years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

thatfuturekid posted:

On another note, we finished Lovecraft Country, and I have to say, what an odd loving show. I know that it's supposed to come off as "pulp-y", but the mix of race relations of the time, with Once-style magic spells just created such an un-even tone. And I don't consider myself a dumb person, but god forbid I walked away for a minute, I would completely lose track of what the hell was going on. Though, some of the body horror stuff was SPOT ON, especially a certain scene in a dark alleyway.

You're not dumb, you lost track of what was going on because it's a legitimately terrible, and messy show. A friend who read the book and watched the show said they messed it up because it's full of different stories happening to different characters, and the show decided to streamline it by having each of the different wild stories happen to the same characters 3 or 4 characters. The first episode was fantastic and thrilling, but it became a complete mess after that, and I still cannot comprehend why it was so highly praised when it was on the air.

Papercut posted:

Watched The Last Duel, it was very solid. It dragged a bit and I felt like some of the scene repetition could've been cut, but the performances were great and the costumes/sets/action were all great.

I believe the repetitive scenes were all slightly different depending on the perspective of the person's story in that moment.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sock The Great posted:

The scene is The Suicide Squad where they discuss what dog breed Weasel is made me laugh harder than anything else in 2021 and it also gave us Peacemaker; for those reasons alone it’s a 10/10.

It's the exact same joke that they made about Rocket Raccoon in GotG and Avengers.

Edit:

Here's maybe a not so hot take about Encanto on Disney+. While I absolutely love the movie and it had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish, one thing that bothers me is that, despite all their efforts to show what a loving family this is, in reality they're pretty incredibly emotionally abusive. They talk about what a gift each person's special powers is, and then when it comes to Bruno and Mirabel, they're a curse to the family. Not the manipulative Tia Pepa who forces everyone to be at her every beck and call lest she cause a thunderstorm in the living room, or the emotionally cold and withholding grandmother who treats you like poo poo and that you don't exist if you don't have powers or less than becoming powers. It takes the threat of everyone losing their powers before they learn the lesson not to treat their family like poo poo. It's kind of depressing in some ways.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The first two episodes of Raised by Wolves season 2 are up on HBO Max.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Nightmare Alley by Guillermo del Toro is on HBO.

It's boring.

Carnivale on HBO is better.

Bradley Cooper at 47 years old is playing a 22 year old

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Is it funny
I want to watch something funny

I liked search party but it was funny in a way that made me feel gross

Abbott Elementary is surprisingly funny and is on Hulu. Grand Crew was also surprisingly funny, it's on Peacock.

Surprising, because I don't think there has been anything good on network TV since The Good Place.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Euphoria was just everything tonight lol

Rue, drugs are not the answer

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Zendaya is getting an emmy

A second?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Fringe streaming services are so vastly cooler than the big guys

You should subscribe to Wow Presents Plus, run by the production company behind RuPaul's Drag Race. For $5, you don't get RuPaul's Drag Race or RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars, just the international editions of the show, and all of their free youtube content.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chas McGill posted:

Must be different in the UK, cos now it's the only place to get all the Ru content.

Yeah, in the US, to get most of the US stuff, you have to have Paramount Plus. There is a smattering of seasons (with missing episodes) on Hulu, and there might still be some on Amazon Prime.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Inventing Anna on Netflix is about what you'd expect. If the real life story wasn't so incredible, it probably wouldn't be very believable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

does it turn out there's a reason her accent is so incredibly bad because i was enjoying the first episode until i hit a wall of it

I'm not good with accents, but the real life reason is that she is a Russian who speaks poor German but is trying to imitate a German accent while speaking American English. Her real life accent is muddled.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Can anybody explain why the Gilded Age on HBO looks the way it does? Not necessarily the backgrounds, but all the actors (costumes and all) look all washed out, like every scene was filmed on green screen and the lighting wasn't matched.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Paramount Plus has been doing The Real World Homecoming where they reunite the casts of former seasons in the original house they filmed in. So far they've only done seasons 1 (New York) and 2 (LA), and it was unclear where they would go from here. Danny Roberts from season 9 (New Orleans) just confirmed that his cast filmed season 3 of Homecoming last fall, and that it will air later this year.

As a gay elder millennial, Danny was a gay awakening for closeted 16 year old me, and over the years I've talked to many of my friends who felt the exact same way about him. I am very excited to see this one.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

thatfuturekid posted:

Super casual indie flick Titane is on Hulu and Prime. Excited to show my unsuspecting fiancé this weekend hahahahahah

A friend told me about it. I had one question for him: Do you get to see the car baby? He said no.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

People are talking about Euphoria and Peacemaker?

Euphoria is basically bar none the most talked about show right now. Is it the best? No, but it's entertaining, and produces some great memes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Your friend deceived you.

In that case, it reminds me of this series of sketches from Comedy Bang Bang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MBUZjJX7Y

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, Kimi, that's the actor who played Buzz in Home Alone

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Can anyone enlighten me to as why HBO and Hulu are both getting the same new releases at the same time? I thought with new releases there was generally exclusivity deals.

Also, I'm seeing now that the Amazon exclusive One Mississippi is also now on Hulu. What is going on?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kingtheninja posted:

Saw the first two episodes of yellow jackets last night and what the fuuuuuuck.

It's so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm absolutely out of shows, out of movies. Checked what's new to netflix, hbo, prime this month and its garbage. Guess I'll have to read a book or something lol

Anybody randomly come across a gem on HBO or something? I've probably seen it already but who knows

Same. I'm back to watching things I've seen before. If I'm home, my TV is on, even if I'm not fully paying attention and doing something else.