Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm just jealous of those of you that don't care about sports at all. I've got to buy all the same streaming services, plus another $65/month or more on top of that for YouTubeTV or one of the other live tv packages just so I can watch my ball games. Cable would be cheaper at this point, but gently caress cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

yeah like what... ifanything streaming lets shows get even more weird. there is no way that regular cable would have had Search Party literally become a science fiction show with Jeff Goldblum as an actual wizard

I was not vibing at all with that show after the first episode, but now I feel like I might have to revisit it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got the last two episodes to go on Cheer, but that's the verdict I'd give it too. Would have been better as a single 60-90min followup focused on the Jerry sex predator stuff and everything surrounding that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No it's actual blackface. They made a series of parody/sequels of Lethal Weapon and traded off doing blackface to play Murtaugh.

It's both, they pulled the eps where Sweet Dee was in brown face as a Puerto Rican too I think.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

doctorthefonz posted:

You might be interested in The Art of Self-Defense which is on hulu, I loved it

Yeah this was really great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ben Affleck: Blonde Sex Lord was actually one of my fave performances last year too.

I've only seen the first episode, but really enjoying The Afterparty on Apple so far. I love Sam Richardson, and the rest of the cast is stacked. Miller/Lord production with Chris Miller directing too, which I didn't realize going in.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It gets bonus points for having a really fun boss battle.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Reacher is a lot of fun

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I loved the Witness parody episode of Sledge Hammer

e: hah, looking over ep titles there were probably several movie parodies that sailed over my head as a kid

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

smackfu posted:

Enjoying Reacher through two episodes, although a bit more gory than I expected. Gouging out eyes during a brawl is one thing but long shots of a full frontal bloody crucifixion are a bit much.

Harvey Guillen as the medical examiner added just enough humor to that scene to take some of the edge off. It was def a bit gnarlier than I expected the show to get though!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

God Hole posted:

this plot point really doesn't make sense or mesh at all with what we know about Dee's backstory, so I'm still of the opinion that this episode was their thinly-veiled response to the continuously smoldering internet rumor that the whole gang freezed out the previous Dee actress because Rob wanted a new girlfriend, and not because Dee being strait-laced and proper was boring as poo poo, see? SEE??

Wait, what?? There has never been an actress other than Kaitlin Olson play Dee.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Next you're gonna act like you don't remember when Paul Giamatti played Frank for that one season

I could never forget that, he won an emmy for it!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah that was a great review, thanks for sharing. Had you ever seen an episode prior to starting your marathon? What was your impression of the show going in?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was lucky enough to start watching the show from the very beginning, and I remember how scared I was that adding Danny DeVito was the death knell for the show. I've always loved him, but I figured that was such a vote of no-confidence that the show was doomed. Have never been happier to have been proven so very wrong.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Its well known (because the actress wrote a blog post detailing it) that when they were originally shopping the show the low budget pilot episodes + the FX pilot were shot with a different actress who Rob was dating at the time. After they filmed the pilot she broke up with him and they dumped her off the show and replaced her. It feels kind of scummy because IIRC rob made some ultimatum like you gotta keep dating me to stay on the show or something or other and she had a hand in creating the show herself.

Wild, I'd never heard that before. Glad that they seem to have matured since then, but man I can't really imagine anyone but Kaitlin in that role.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

God Hole posted:

ryan reynolds has never been funny

2 Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place was funny :colbert:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Banshee is fun, but it's super dumb and trashy. WAY more so than Reacher.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 7, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

it's pretty funny that he cuts off her butt first and that is the only thing that ever gets cut off her so they never have to show her without an appendage or anything.

For some reason I thought the Fresh you're all talking about was that Fresh Prince reboot, so this spoiler took me for a ride.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't cared for the other Ryan Reynolds Netflix movies I've seen, but The Adam Project was a whole lot of fun.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Timby posted:

This is essentially the same deal with No One Lives Forever and is the reason an almost-finished remaster was never released. No one, between Fox, Activision and WB, can figure out who actually owns the rights.

Give them all 2 years to create a new NOLF game, and the one that hits the highest Metacritic score earns the rights to the franchise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Whoever said The Adam Project is Ryan Reynolds downplaying his schtick fully lied lol, if anything the fact that there are two of them at roughly 80% Deadpool mode means you get 160% Deadpool mode

LOL they must have been trolling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAjP9HCqk4I

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

snoot posted:

It's the first thing I've seen Sebastian Stan in where he wasn't bland though!

He was pretty good playing a rockstar douchebag in Pam and Tommy. Lily James walked away with that show though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is there a lot of drug content? RE that spoiler.

There is a fair amount, but only one char really goes off the deep end with it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jackass Forever taught me that the Penis Flattener from The Good Place is not only real, but also not much of a torture device apparently.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Severance didn't initially hook me, took a few days to watch the first two episodes. I picked it back up yesterday evening and ended up watching the next 5 one after the other. Not sure if they're gonna stick the landing just yet, but I'm really digging it now.

I really enjoyed the Milchick 5 min dance party, and the BIL's book quotes are cracking me up

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm planning to get to the BBC version, but the US remake of Ghosts on CBS is hilarious. Just great casting all around and consistently makes me laugh.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vast of Night was great, and it's definitely a vibe movie. Made me feel like I was cruising along on a desert highway late at night, listening to Art Bell on the AM radio.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

The impression I get having watched all the extant episodes is that they're trying to avoid doing that. They seem interested in providing answers and having the plot move forward rather than just milking every premise for as long as they can.

Several plots have come to fruition a lot quicker than I was expecting them to

It's kinda unfair that they gave Walken and Turturro the best story though. They're just acting circles around everyone else.

From what I gather, reviewers have already seen all of season one and agree that not only do they stick the landing but appear to be confident in their plans for s2.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bosch is real good.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I will not allow anyone to besmirch the name of Cool Rick in this thread.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Tony Hawk doc on HBO was really good

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Severance season finale was amazing, but certain posters will most definitely melt down after watching it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

What do y'all think about Moon Knight so far? I like all the actors but the action scenes are kind of weak. Just kinda meh so far to me.

I thought the big fight scene in ep3 was pretty great honestly. The score really stood out to me too, they are going big movie budget on it. I was kinda iffy on the show for the first 2 but the 3rd ep sold me on it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was iffy on the first 2 episodes but liked the 3rd well enough. That being said, cgi has to be on the level of like Scorpion King bad before it bothers me and I can def see what people don't like about the show.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There was a golden era of DirectTV hacked cards that unlocked literally every channel and PPV. Was famously stopped on Black Sunday, a week before the Super Bowl in 2001, when DirecTV activated a kill code that fried every hacked card.

https://blog.codinghorror.com/revisiting-the-black-sunday-hack/

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just adding to the Barb and Star is cool and good actually chorus.

Haven't watched anything Mike Myers since Love Guru made me want to die, so not sure if I want to give Pentaverate a shot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I watched After Yang yesterday and I was totally blown away. Love those "lived-in" feeling sci-fi settings. I feel like it was the closest thing to an Iain M. Banks novel in a movie.

I was already on board and now even more so. Definitely need more Iain M. Banks-ish stuff out in the world.

I heard rumors a while back that Bezos was a big Culture fan and maybe had bought the rights to develop a series? Anyone know anything more concrete on that?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Low rez Canada made me laugh too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Neat, I need some dad-level crime/justice procedural and the new Bosch feels small compared to its glory days. Is it the dumb freevee logo in the corner? Is it the reduced cast of characters? Is it the commercial breaks?

Not really a procedural per se, but the new David Simon show We Own This City on HBO is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

smackfu posted:

All the grizzled 70s and 80s skateboarders are the highlight.

Dogtown and Z-Boys is an amazing skate doc from 2001 about the Zephyr crew from Santa Monica. Makes a killer double feature with the Tony Hawk doc.