Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
KO of the year, comeback of the year. Leon Edwards.

No need to even vote for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Comeback of the Year: Leon Edwards getting wrestlefucked by Marty for the better part of 4 rounds, only for...

KO of the Year: Leon Edwards def (c) Kamaru Usman (head kick), UFC 279

Kicked him in the head so hard he landed on the next PPV card. This was UFC 278

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Greatest Schadenfreude of the Year

Kamaru spending the run-up to 278 pontificating about his plans to jump TWO DIVISIONS to become double champ in the most difficult way possible, only to get knocked out cold in the final minutes of the match he was running away with.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Worst Booking Decision of the Year:

Re-booking Maverick vs Young 7 days after Shanna got Covid, then immediately needing to hospitalize her

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

KO of the Year: Demetrious Johnson vs Adriano Moraes, Knee, ONE on Prime Video 1

https://twitter.com/FTBeard7/status/1563385998171447297

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fentry posted:

KO of the Year: Demetrious Johnson vs Adriano Moraes, Knee, ONE on Prime Video 1

https://twitter.com/FTBeard7/status/1563385998171447297

Yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, I forgot because he's not in UFC anymore but Mighty Mouse is REALLY good!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Most Improved Fighter of the Year

Benoit Saint-Denis coming back with 2 dominant wins after taking one of the worst beatings of 2021.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Comedy in MMA - UFC 279 weigh ins, featuring Chimaev being 7.5 over, Chris Barnett missing heavyweight by 2lbs

Schadenfreude - Khamzat loving up his main event layup by eating too much

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1568296719762194433

new record

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 9, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Dumbest Career Move:

Khamzat Chimaev - a lay-up fight away from being handed the title on a silver platter - starts a near riot while not named Connor McGregor and missed weight by eight pounds leading Dana White to muse publically that maybe Belal deserves a title shot more.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

KO of the Year: Irene Aldana vs Macy Chiasson, Upkick to the Liver, UFC 279

Any KO that I have legit never seen before is an auto nomination

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fentry posted:

KO of the Year: Irene Aldana vs Macy Chiasson, Upkick to the Liver, UFC 279

Any KO that I have legit never seen before is an auto nomination

Maybe we need an award for the "What the gently caress was that crazy poo poo" finish/highlight of the year

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
funniest moment in mma from super rizin

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1573878692845178881

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Worst Refereeing Mistake of the Year

Chase Hooper vs Steve Garcia

Herb Dean waits to see the ground n pound after chase hooper gets knocked down 4 times in a single round

Submission of the Year:

Treasan Gore nearly rips off Josh Fremd's head using a guillotine to swing his body around 360 degrees putting him on the mat out cold

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 30, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
e: ^^^^ just that description is terrifying and makes it sound like the guy got his loving medulla ripped :catstare:

I’m shocked there’s even a contender for Worst Fight besides Carla/Rose, but Aoki/Akiyama in 2022 now has me morbidly curious.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 30, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

evilpicard posted:

Submission of the Year:

Treasan Gore nearly rips off Josh Fremd's head using a guillotine to swing his body around 360 degrees putting him on the mat out cold

Seconding this, absolutely terrifying finisher, almost a loving Mortal Kombat Fatality.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

not to be a naysayer more just to start conversation - the Gore-Fremd finish makes me wonder if we should have a "Finish of the year" because I always think of "Submission of the year" being for excellence in technical grappling which that definitely was not, however cool it was. It would give room for finishes which are like cool TKOs or club 'n sub finishes or other things that are rad but don't really fit in for "KO of the year" or "Sub of the year"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

not to be a naysayer more just to start conversation - the Gore-Fremd finish makes me wonder if we should have a "Finish of the year" because I always think of "Submission of the year" being for excellence in technical grappling which that definitely was not, however cool it was. It would give room for finishes which are like cool TKOs or club 'n sub finishes or other things that are rad but don't really fit in for "KO of the year" or "Sub of the year"

we can set that up for next year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Performance of the Year: Erin Blanchfield's COMPLETE domination of Molly "Meatball" McCann - UFC 281 Prelims 11/12

Absolutely outstanding the absolute and total control and domination of the fight from Blanchfield, the way she just held her in place and pummeled her and stopped every single attempt to escape was so impressive.

KO of the Year: Ryan Spann murders Dominick Reyes who is now dead after being murdered by Ryan Spann - UFC 281 Prelims 11/12

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 13, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Best trash talk of the year: whatever the hell Moicano was saying after stealing the mic and and going on a long and almost completely beeped out rant

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

COPE 27 posted:

Best trash talk of the year: whatever the hell Moicano was saying after stealing the mic and and going on a long and almost completely beeped out rant

https://streamable.com/jxiu13 this

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Round of the year: Poirier - Chandler Round 1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

COPE 27 posted:

Seriously. Holy gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

COPE 27 posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fight of the Year: Dustin Poirier vs. Michael Chandler - UFC 281 11/12

The first round was round of the year, and then Poirier survived a brutal second round only to come out strong and submit Chandler in the third. Incredible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That fight also includes blatant fishhooks and shots to the back of the head. It's got everything.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Worst corner gameplan of the year: "Obviously she can't stop you on the ground", immediately gives up a crucifix and taps out

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Show of the Year: UFC 281 11/12

This card had EVERYTHING, early prelims to prelims to the main card was just a fantastic watch.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This card had EVERYTHING, early prelims to prelims to the main card was just a fantastic watch.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Breakout fighter of the Year: Alex Pereira goes from a 4-1 fighter with 1 fight in the majors to a 7-1 UFC champion in a calendar year.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

COPE 27 posted:

Breakout fighter of the Year: Alex Pereira goes from a 4-1 fighter with 1 fight in the majors to a 7-1 UFC champion in a calendar year.

I hate this, because it was so intentional and artificial, but it's also going to be real hard to beat.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CarlCX posted:

I hate this, because it was so intentional and artificial, but it's also going to be real hard to beat.

im still sour over when Chris Weidman won breakout fighter over Khabib Nurmagomedov

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CarlCX posted:

All sport is artificial

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sure, but it's a spectrum, not a binary.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I feel as if those things are artificial if they get to the title shot and don't look as if they belong there. I never begrudge pro sports going for what sells tickets so long as there's still some true competition behind it. It's not as if they gave Logan Paul a title shot off of two wins against guys for whom the commentary was like "dude this guy used to be 400 lb that's how you know he's a hard worker"

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

CarlCX posted:

This is what makes MMA entertainment and not a true sport. Chael talked about this a few years ago. There is no true mapped out path to a title to become "the best in the world".

NFL has a path, you beat so many teams, make it to the playoffs, beat the set teams there, win the superbowl and you are crowned best team of the year.

MMA is just who would make the most exciting fights.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

This is the first card in a long time that might have justified paying full price.

It helps I wasn't as big an Izzy fan as I was Anderson or Aldo so I didn't have to slam the show off at the end of the last fight.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

New Category: Poetry of the Year - CarlCX' epic presentation of Chase Sherman vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta

CarlCX posted:

CARL'S FIGHT BREAKDOWNS, EPISODE 39: FROM GLORY TO GOLGOTHA

MAIN CARD: LUNCHBOX HANDS
:piss:HEAVYWEIGHT: Chase Sherman (16-10) vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta (8-0):piss:
As I close in on the end of my first year of service in the fight mines, I realize I have written about Chase Sherman more often than any other fighter. This is the sixth time I will write about Chase Sherman in eleven months. Two of those fights didn't even happen. At one point Chase Sherman wasn't even employed by the UFC anymore. And yet, in a year with multiple Israel Adesanya fights, in a year with promising prospects like Tom Aspinall and Marlon Vera in several main events, it is Chase goddamn Sherman who is my white whale--nay, my Vanilla Gorilla. I cannot escape him, no matter how deeply into the B-leagues I run, and he cannot escape me, no matter how many times he is manhandled by large men. We are destined to do this dance forever, his rock'em sock'em boxing propelling the two of us through space until all of reality suffuses and becomes a disc in which no points can be delineated from one another.

Where in the tapestry of time are we, now? Is this the great Parker Porter bout of 2021? Is it the Chase Sherman vs Alexandr Romanov that happened in this reality or the original cancelled one from Earth 26? Is this the 2025 Chase Sherman/Hamdy Abdelwahab world championship bout that came after The Great Collapse killed half the roster, sank the entire western seaboard and left the UFC under Bjorn Rebney's control? Oh, no, that's right--it's Chase Sherman vs Waldo "Salsa Boy" Cortes-Acosta, the fight I definitely didn't make up that definitely doesn't feature a fighter who just fought a full fifteen-minutes and took fifty-nine heavyweight strikes less than three weeks ago for $10,000 before taxes and is now somehow licensed to fight again already without anyone getting arrested for crimes against decency. That would be ridiculous.

It's Chase Sherman. What words are there left in my blood to tell you anything about the man, and what veins have I left to pour ink to page with for him? Through the wheat the boxer will appear to take him away, and I will mock him to all of you while in my heart of hearts cradling him and letting the blows fall upon my body. No, I will cry, not my son. But they will not listen, and when the time comes, I will deny him to the thanatologists and say I knew him not, but I will know that his was the face of The Heavyweight, and lo, I will see him in every heavyweight yet to be.

Waldo Cortes-Acosta by KO. Ab ovo, ab aeterno, ab intestato, ab intra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Freudian slippers posted:

New Category: Poetry of the Year - CarlCX' epic presentation of Chase Sherman vs Waldo Cortes-Acosta

fight preview of the year would be this or carl's 279 preview, because the diaz reality envelopes us all