Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
serious... its like... it sucks

im gonna go to work just so i dont have to listen to any more of this

fake edit: i just got home from work... i went to post a thread called "honey i'm home" but the forums had auto-saved this draft of a thread... so i decided to post it instead

or like... they're the same

the threads

theire the same thread

there's one thread jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
it's pretty much just as bad as having cnn on all day

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ is ok but i don't always agree with it, for example it says reuters is least biased but i think it's a little more left leaning than that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ is ok but i don't always agree with it, for example it says reuters is least biased but i think it's a little more left leaning than that

gently caress off moron

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Bula Vinaka posted:

:shrek:

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

Bula Vinaka posted:

cnn packs 15 minutes of news into 2 hours of coverage and also tell shaggy dog stories but is otherwise semi-competent enough to not be the fountain of mental diarrhea nonfotainment (infotainment thats not informative or entertaining) that fox news is

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oh no news thats too left leaning???? say it isnt so!!!

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Slam Pajamas posted:

cnn packs 15 minutes of news into 2 hours of coverage and also tell shaggy dog stories but is otherwise semi-competent enough to not be the fountain of mental diarrhea nonfotainment (infotainment thats not informative or entertaining) that fox news is

CNN is the Jan 6 channel

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
take a shot everytime covid is mentioned

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Sid Vicious posted:

It calls Forbes "right center" but based on some of the content they've been posting on YouTube lately it's more like somewhere between right and and extreme.

I wish there were places to get news that had absolutely no agenda, "slant" or whatever you want to call it, or agreements with other corporations to sell products disguised as news stories. It seems there's always *some* kind of bias.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

lol

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

sorry devils affricate i copied too much text lol i know you didnt post that

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

lol

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bula Vinaka posted:

It calls Forbes "right center" but based on some of the content they've been posting on YouTube lately it's more like somewhere between right and and extreme.

I wish there were places to get news that had absolutely no agenda, "slant" or whatever you want to call it, or agreements with other corporations to sell products disguised as news stories. It seems there's always *some* kind of bias.

You blew the gag too early, now you just sound stupid

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I get my news from a site called somethingawful, ever heard of it? I hear it bends left and goes deep center.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

sorry devils affricate i copied too much text lol i know you didnt post that

this is slander

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im sorry ):

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Sorry for my worthless opinion. Reuters is pretty unbiased for the most part, maybe I'm over-judging the huge amount of b-roll that they use (which I've come to hate).

And gently caress Donald Trump, it's scary as hell thinking he might get re-elected.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This just in: piss is stored in the *checks ear piece and leans in* im being told that piss is stored in the balls

Also this just in: my dick lmao

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Bula Vinaka posted:

Sorry for my worthless opinion. Reuters is pretty unbiased for the most part, maybe I'm over-judging the huge amount of b-roll that they use (which I've come to hate).

And gently caress Donald Trump, it's scary as hell thinking he might get re-elected.

It's not so much that you have a worthless opinion. It's just dumb to compare a left leaning news source to one that openly spreads fascist propaganda.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bula Vinaka posted:

I've got no clue if you're posting in good will, but I'm going to assume you are:

You're asking for something that's literally impossible. You can't speak in an unbiased way about something like politics. Whatever your beliefs are will inform how you present any information, no matter how objective you think you're being. So when right wingers pick up on "liberal bias", they're not wrong, but they're right in the most boring loving way possible. The people drawn to journalism, one of the liberal arts, tend to be liberal, and this colors how they report news.

What the right refuses to understand is that it's not a conspiracy, and that they'll happily turn on their own for ratings - See the 43 years of wall to wall coverage about Hilary's emails, or Anthony Weiner's dick, or whatever. It'll all have a liberal bias to it, sure, but they will signal boost that poo poo to death, because they are at least in their minds devoted to journalism. This is not an ethos shared by Fox news, which will only report negative news on Republicans who aren't toeing the line.

Honestly, if you want unbiased news, the extreme left might be the closest to what you want, since we hate Democrats almost as much as we hate Republicans.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
All "news" is propaganda

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
By being 100% oblivious to the world around me outside of my immediate control I am pure and happier than anyone else. This means I'm better than you. Yes, you especially.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i get all my news from my pets. they rarely go outside so my world view is pretty limited.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sid Vicious posted:

i saw a bumper sticker today that said "defund planned parenthood" and i wanted to run them off the dang road!!!!!!!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

precision posted:

i saw a bumper sticker today that said "defund planned parenthood" and i wanted to run them off the dang road!!!!!!!

hell yeah lets kill all the bastards!!!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Sid Vicious posted:

Left leaning here means corporatist. The dems are way to the right of any political party in my country, nz.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Sometimes I like to watch Tucker Carlson. Some of them are very bad, but some of his stuff about capitalism is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdwH066g5lQ

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Slugworth posted:

I've got no clue if you're posting in good will, but I'm going to assume you are:

You're asking for something that's literally impossible. You can't speak in an unbiased way about something like politics. Whatever your beliefs are will inform how you present any information, no matter how objective you think you're being. So when right wingers pick up on "liberal bias", they're not wrong, but they're right in the most boring loving way possible. The people drawn to journalism, one of the liberal arts, tend to be liberal, and this colors how they report news.

What the right refuses to understand is that it's not a conspiracy, and that they'll happily turn on their own for ratings - See the 43 years of wall to wall coverage about Hilary's emails, or Anthony Weiner's dick, or whatever. It'll all have a liberal bias to it, sure, but they will signal boost that poo poo to death, because they are at least in their minds devoted to journalism. This is not an ethos shared by Fox news, which will only report negative news on Republicans who aren't toeing the line.

Honestly, if you want unbiased news, the extreme left might be the closest to what you want, since we hate Democrats almost as much as we hate Republicans.

I know it's not "really" possible, I just wish it could be true.

Thucydides is probably right.

quote:

He also has been called the father of the school of political realism, which views the political behavior of individuals and the subsequent outcomes of relations between states as ultimately mediated by, and constructed upon, fear and self-interest. ...

More generally, Thucydides developed an understanding of human nature to explain behavior in such crises as plagues, massacres, and civil war.

But I like how, being a historian, he had strong views on bias:

quote:

Thucydides omits discussion of the arts, literature, or the social milieu in which the events in his book take place and in which he grew up. He saw himself as recording an event, not a period, and went to considerable lengths to exclude what he deemed frivolous or extraneous.

The problem with that though, is that hundreds of years later, people reading lack context. But I think "context" has to clearly be defined, as separate from the facts, or at at least be balanced in such a way as to report views from *all* sides of an issue. Otherwise it's more or less propaganda.

I would still love to see (if such a thing could be possible) a news organization whose goal is to eliminate bias, report only facts, reports all significant events, and gets their funding from sources that don't demand endorsement (i.e., no ads, native or otherwise).

Weka
May 5, 2019

There's the rub. What possible funding sources could that be?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’m unbiased. Just listen to what I tell you

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

its all nice on rice posted:

It's not so much that you have a worthless opinion. It's just dumb to compare a left leaning news source to one that openly spreads fascist propaganda.

Also, it's really worthless

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i get all my news from my pets. they rarely go outside so my world view is pretty limited.

Same. Apparently, right now grass is pretty delicious, but might also make you sick?? Worrying. Also, things are exciting, but other things are less so. And there are birds probably. Perhaps even flying plastic bags? We will have to stay tuned.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Find out what cable box they use and block the channel Fox News is on through their window with an app on your tablet or smartphone (or a universal remote).

Bonus points if you knock on the window and do it without breaking eye contact.

Even MORE bonus points if you're naked when you're doing this.

Go to horny jail if you're both naked... (but still don't break eye contact!)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Weka posted:

Sometimes I like to watch Tucker Carlson. Some of them are very bad, but some of his stuff about capitalism is pretty good.

the great part about tucker is you’ll randomly get a slice of it and your for certain to think “you’ll never hear this on msnbc/cnn" and it’ll be true but its either because its an interview with a retired clansmen or something based like attacking privatized healthcare. its like a box of chocolates.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im moving to Turkiye, I dont need this poo poo

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

syntaxfunction posted:

By being 100% oblivious to the world around me outside of my immediate control I am pure and happier than anyone else. This means I'm better than you. Yes, you especially.

Yes, yeah. Stop looking at news. You're not going to change anything by being informed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Weka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdwH066g5lQ

oh wow he is so puffy and bloated now lmao... he used 2 be like tweaker skinny