Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I love that the way to get around that $500 limit has been for teams with people involved in racing who happen to “find” things around their workplace that are no longer in use. I think there was a LeMons team of Corvette Racing guys doing just that a few years back.

Which is why the smart rules are "You have to sell the car for $500 after any race" rather than "It must cost $500 to build".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Anyone going to Le Mans this year? I thought tickets weren't going on sale until like December but the tour company we're going with told me they bought them already :shrug:

For real? I was also counting on going but I can fallback to Monza if there is no hope of getting tickets.

Edit: Checked the ticket shop, the cheaper tickets are gone while some of the full packs are still there

https://ticket.24h-lemans.com/selection/event/date?productId=10228573963645&gtmStepTracking=true

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 20, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am aiming to go to le mans in 2024, can't make it next year for the hundred year anniversary sadly

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

SlowBloke posted:

For real? I was also counting on going but I can fallback to Monza if there is no hope of getting tickets.

Edit: Checked the ticket shop, the cheaper tickets are gone while some of the full packs are still there

https://ticket.24h-lemans.com/selection/event/date?productId=10228573963645&gtmStepTracking=true

Well poo poo, I was going to take my dad this year since he finally retired and do the full gold/panoramic24 experience, but I never got the presale notice from being an ACO member. :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It looks like nearly all the tickets are still available, you have to hit the "all tickets" button. Includes week long tickets, weekend tickets, etc. The only tickets that are sold out are the grandstand seats which lets be real, you prolly shouldnt get those anyway. Camping doesn't go on sale until Nov 29th.

Earlybird prices are through Feb 28th. A weekend "green" ticket is 75eu or 49eu with ACO membership. Not bad!

It is looking more and more likely that I'll be going this year too. :getin:

https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/tickets/all-tickets

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

towtrucks racing on Le Mans racecourses sounds cool af

https://www.24h-camions.com/fr/actualites/24-heures-camions-norbert-kiss-et-lionel-montagne-tiennent-bon-en-course-3-56659

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys just taking a big sip from a glass of water and seeing what the long term plans for LMP2 are in the WEC...

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

algebra testes posted:

Hey guys just taking a big sip from a glass of water and seeing what the long term plans for LMP2 are in the WEC...

Yeah but a whole-rear end field of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa58wKUoAa0

Gods I've missed the hybrid bump starts

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Le Mans is still in the WEC :colbert:

I’m fine with that rough plan - the two regional series are likely a better place for the gentleman driver P2 teams, and if the P2 class isn’t included outside Le Mans then they can un-gently caress the LMP2 in ELMS and AsLMS. And if a Ben Keating really wants to go big game hunting then he can wrangle a drive in a customer LMDh / LMH car.

The other big news about H is a new driver announced for Lamborghini’s project…

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1600014675768496128

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wait I thought the h was specifically lower-case in the branding, as in Le Mans, Daytona, h

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess it seems so counter-intuitive to kill a really healthy category that pads out your grids. If they don't get the numbers in LMDh then it'll be silly with 10 protos and 40 gt3s.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I guess it seems so counter-intuitive to kill a really healthy category that pads out your grids. If they don't get the numbers in LMDh then it'll be silly with 10 protos and 40 gt3s.

The P2 class was always filling in the numbers that P1 didn’t have, at least since 2015. They’re expecting double-digit factory cars by 2024, and private cars will boost the grids (hopefully) following after.

It’s also to do with budget levels for the WEC. More rounds would stretch the budgets such that fewer P2 teams would come anyway; there’s also practical limits to number of cars they can fit for fly-away races, and Hypercar competitors are likely to take those slots quickly. Letting the P2 cars still be the top class in ELMS/AsLMS with an extended homologation life and lower travel budgets - with a chance to still join Le Mans - seems like a smart way to serve the customers.

Graham Goodwin wrote about this very subject ahead of Le Mans this year, and a portion of that is really relevant:

quote:

The first is a full understanding of the pressures in the LMP2 marketplace, the WEC entry is currently somewhat artificially inflated as a result of the short, more European-based (and therefore cheaper) COVID-affected calendar.

Add to that the very substantial additional challenges now in play with the cost and availability of pretty much everything and the teams are feeling stretched in more ways than one.

Certainly, there are few positive words being spoken about the prospects of obtaining entirely new machinery any time soon in the paddocks from very many of the teams that rely on Pro-Am racing for their business. And, with spiralling raw material and logistics costs, keeping to a cost cap anywhere close to that currently seen in LMP2 seems challenging.

And then there are the current cars.

There’s little doubt that the current breed of LMP2s are an astonishing example of modern endurance racing, a cost-capped form that has proven popular with teams who can provide a package attractive to customers, and to gentleman drivers who like to race their own cars.

The problem is that the introduction of the Hypercar class has led to a dilution of a significant proportion of that positivity, with the LMP2 cars being progressively slowed down, by a variety of means, to ensure that they are not a factor in the Hypercar battle.

That process, however necessary, is now proving to be a major issue for drivers and teams, with many of the former reporting that they are not enjoying the cars in their more restricted form, and many of the latter saying they are struggling to justify the additional cost of LMP2 over LMP3 to their valued customers, with the performance differences between the two classes now substantially narrowed.

So, any moves to help control costs and regain the attraction of the inherent performance in the class would be broadly (if not universally) welcomed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's brave because you're actively pinning your hopes on the new GT3s actually getting first year sign ups and that people don't rage quit LMP1.9 as soon as they get/don't get what they want.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

It's brave because you're actively pinning your hopes on the new GT3s actually getting first year sign ups and that people don't rage quit LMP1.9 as soon as they get/don't get what they want.

I don’t think there should be a worry about getting GT3 cars on the grid, my worry is the ACO shooting themselves in the foot somehow. Or something like “can only run GT3 cars from OEMs involved in LMH.”

But yes placing your bets on five or six OEMs sticking around has always paid off well. That would be the other issue.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

algebra testes posted:

Le Mans will still have P2s, the real limitation on WEC is sea freight logistics, which is what has capped the grid at 36 or so for years. With double digit hypercar counts, and expected huge GT3 entries there's really no room for a compelling field size in P2 in WEC

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hasn't LMP2 always been the class that gets squeezed hardest whenever other classes are doing well? Its a class that while fast and easy to drive was never really intended to compete for race wins, and now with burgeoning customer programs in LMDh, and LMDh being roughly equivalent to Hypercar, and more importantly cheap/accessible for a top tier formula, any privateer with a taste for race wins is going to move to LMDh, or move down to GT3 to save money if race wins dont matter to them.

I could be talking out my rear end but I'm seeing a future with single digit LMP2 entries again soon.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I don’t think there should be a worry about getting GT3 cars on the grid, my worry is the ACO shooting themselves in the foot somehow. Or something like “can only run GT3 cars from OEMs involved in LMH.”

But yes placing your bets on five or six OEMs sticking around has always paid off well. That would be the other issue.

Or something like "Must have a pointless expensive 'upgrade kit' literally no-one will notice or care about".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Or something like "Must have a pointless expensive 'upgrade kit' literally no-one will notice or care about".

Believe it or not, I think they’ve already walked that one back! :v:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Believe it or not, I think they’ve already walked that one back! :v:

Oh good, it's like they looked at GTE, massively expensive for a performance difference no-one noticed and thought "Having a performance difference" was the problem.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 9, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Today I am thankful for this dude going "huh that's a skidmark on my helmet, probably oughta do something about that."

https://twitter.com/NHRA/status/1602392846073360384

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Kind goons, this is a PSA to remember whoever wants to not camp at lemans, booking.com has still rooms at rather expensive prices instead of incredibly expensive. Just booked an apartment at two grand for the event and a few of extra days.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just noticed Porsche are uploading a new season of Road To LeMans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0A88CyCIo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Dakar is now on, their youtube channel is thankfully far more active so no need to jump on Eurosport to see it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Ken Block has died in a snowmobile accident.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm74ZDVL_PS/

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42381041/ken-block-dead/

gently caress 2023 already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's an odd feeling knowing that just like that he's gone. He left a tremendous legacy in the automotive space that's undisputable but it's not any solace right now, it's just so sudden.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Absolutely gutting and shocking news.

When I checked, the last thing he sent on Twitter was a preview of a video of his daughter finishing up an Audi Quattro build and starting to drive it. Unreal :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Never count out Touchdown Tom from also shifting into H

https://twitter.com/FredSmith914/status/1611912059540885504

And will draw up a 2023 thread soon.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Misc. Racing Thread 2023: Prescription H.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Anyone in here going to the Rolex 24hr at Daytona in a couple weeks? My (now retired) dad and I will be there in one of the hospitality areas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News: The WEC entry list has been released, find the PDF linked here

Views: 13 Hypercars in that class, including the loving ByKolles Vanwall with Jacques by-god Villeneuve listed as a driver?!?!

I don’t know if I want them to make it or not. It’s absolute banter fodder either way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If it’s anything like Villeneuve’s other attempts to drive in the modern day he’ll do 2 races and quit because he’s not good enough to win.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

john newhouse is back bitches

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

Anyone in here going to the Rolex 24hr at Daytona in a couple weeks? My (now retired) dad and I will be there in one of the hospitality areas.

I'll be there 👍

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Views: 13 Hypercars in that class, including the loving ByKolles Vanwall with Jacques by-god Villeneuve listed as a driver?!?!

I don’t know if I want them to make it or not. It’s absolute banter fodder either way.

And a 14th comedy entry possible in Monza because VectorSport and 3 Italian Guys in a trenchcoat are still insisting they will debut.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

And a 14th comedy entry possible in Monza because VectorSport and 3 Italian Guys in a trenchcoat are still insisting they will debut.

Sounds like Glickenhaus is promising two cars for Le Mans, now let’s see if they show up at any of the rounds after Monza next year.

I doubt that Vanwall makes more than one race. Or does anything but DNF.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Sounds like Glickenhaus is promising two cars for Le Mans, now let’s see if they show up at any of the rounds after Monza next year.

At this point if the FIA haven't made them pay a major deposit related to actually loving turning up then they've only got themselves to blame.

ByKolles by contrast always seemed to have the money to turn up at least. Even if you didn't notice beyond the smoke.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Didn’t one of the ByKolles cars one year go to a test, do four laps (then the wing failed) and proceed to vanish?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

harperdc posted:

correa is driving lmp2 and f2? how does that work?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ArmZ posted:

I think he uses different cars for each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmZ posted:

The WEC schedule is like 8 races, there must not be any/many clashes, especially if they’re doing that weird thing where F2/F3 are alternating weekends.

Plus

Dudley posted:

I think he uses different cars for each.

Probably different fire suits too :haw: