Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The MX-5 race in the wet this evening was wild. If you all are sleeping on it, don't. They're racing again tomorrow at 10am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

abraham linksys posted:

Looking forward to this morning's.

This aged poorly, this morning was a clown show. Nearly constant yellow

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Nope, just a bunch of yellow, I heard someone say it was about 6hr of yellow in total, but that kept cars that ran into trouble up in the mix.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah that was huge, screwed the 8's race too, they ahd to take emergency service for fuel after the red flag

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah bit of an anticlimax there at the end. Track is gonna be hella green for tomorrow though, with the rain that did finally come after they called the race.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Jose Maria Lopez may be many things but he keeps driving like an Am driver. Toyota needs to find a better Brazilian or Argentinian.

Yeah Lopez has demonstrated he's not of the same caliber as the rest of the Toyota squad on numerous occasions. No idea why he's still there

algebra testes posted:

This back to back Sebring 8 hours, 12 hours, seems like it would be a great event

it absolutely is, I went in 2019 and it was a blast. 23 hours of racing over 3 days and fantastic food and cheap beer. They sold 12 packs at just barely over the retail price when they could have charged way more. It's probably overall the best deal in racing right now

edit: and as a bonus you get PRIMO Florida-man-on-spring-break people watching in green park

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 19, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Pablo Bluth posted:

The BTCC returns today. They've introduced hybrid power and used it to replace success ballast, so different drivers get different amounts of push to pass.

One of the big storylines for this year will be if Sutton can drag the Fords back in to serious contention

Is there any way to watch it in the US?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
When does the race run? I only see 2021 replays on MTOD

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 24, 2022

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

lagidnam posted:

It's 24h of the Nürburgring time again.

https://www.youtube.com/c/24hnbr/featured

Sadly the weather forecast for the weekend seems to be pretty tame. So probably no ice on the track like in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfk3QEbeKQ

First of all who thought it was a good idea to plop the N24 down over the Monaco GP and the Indy 500

Second of all the N24 has been so shortened by weather the last few years I just want a full 24 hours.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Hopefully Nurburgring actually goes green for more then like 8 hours this year

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

SlowBloke posted:

That's surprising, I don't remember any other racing leagues loving someone that hard for speeding. I've seen disqualifications sure but that litany of punishments is quite novel.

The only reason there's still racing at all at the Nurburgring at all is all up to how strict the safety regulations are. That track is legit dangerous and if you gently caress around like that you'll end up killing someone. That dude should have his racing license heavily sanctioned or suspended for some time for something that egregious.

I'm honestly surprised there's not the threat of criminal charges being considered, since it is a public road.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

is the wec stream still geoblocked in the us?

Yeah, you might be able to buy it and use a VPN if you don't wanna deal with the Eurosport feed. I told WEC that I'm French and they took my euros, just gotta VPN for the video

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Road to Le Mans race 1 just finished up, you should watch it for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbTXB09NH2Y

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I quite like it, and the subtle cream instead of white gives it a nice thiccness

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
GTD and GTD Pro winners moved to the back of their classes for drive time infringements, Heart of Racing takes a double win with their Astons

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It's not a pure downforce target, it's a lift:drag target, so the cars can have as much downforce as they want, but it's limited as far as efficiency. They're also limited to one adjustable aerodynamic device, so they pretty much have to set a general desired amount of drag and downforce for the whole season, and of course, no surprise, everyone is going for lower drag to be good at Le Mans

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
maybe they should remove those stupid sausage kerbs instead :thunk:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

kobayashi you dungus

That was a wild conclusion to a wild battle

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
To be fair, even Peugeot said that they're a test team that showed up to race

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm so glad that it's still cross-plane, it sounds amazing. The styling I wish was a little closer to the concept but that's because the concept was so good, this still looks really good, except that air box, that's pretty ugly

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah aside from NASCAR and NHRA, endurance cars are some of the loudest racecars out there.

I was very surprised how quiet indycar was compared to IMSA

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs are great because they have an audio in jack as well as microphones to let in noise when it isn't at damaging levels, and they're not terribly expensive.

There's also MSA Sordins with gel cups if you are going to a lot of races or have other needs for high quality over-the-ear protection (but they're like $300)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The loudest road racing I've ever experienced is all of the '16 spec 911 RSRs and a few P2s screaming down the pit straight at Sebring at once, with all their exhausts reflecting off the pit building right into us on the opposite side. It was almost nauseatingly loud, even with earpro

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Note this was WEC so there were like 12 P2s and 10 911 RSRs on track at once

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Funny I thought the Alpine (then Rebellion) was pretty quiet compared to the P2s, since it had exhausts between the fenders instead of on the sides. You may have been up high where you got a blast of sound unblocked by the fenders though.

As far as quiet cars, the TS050 was remarkably quiet, but nothing compared to the M8 GTE, especially when you were on driver's left (exhaust only on driver's right on them). They sounded great but you could only hear them if they were alone on track, super quiet.

Meanwhile some of the loudest cars outside of GTE and LMP2 I ever experienced were the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge Street Tuner class cars, particularly the MX-5s and Caymans, on downshifts, since they were still 3 pedaling it, totally straight pipes to get as much power as possible out of them. They were stupid loud.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
WEC definitely doesn't require grade 1, as Sebring is grade 2. That said, Bathurst would be a terrible idea. The Bend, however, has proven itself decent for multiclass racing with the Asian Le Mans Series and I'd love to see it get a major world championship round.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They were looking hard at Kayalami as well, which is definitely "could be grade 1" build

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Arcella posted:

I wish WEC would come to CotA, but I have always wanted to go to Sebring.

They used to, up until... 2016 I think. When IMSA and them decided to do separate events it kinda killed it, because no one shows up to COTA except for F1 and MotoGP

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Discipline unlocked: Flat Track

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man the Hypercar/GTP era is gonna be fuckin LIT.

I just hope GT3 delivers at Le Mans like it has in IMSA.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Or you get a group of insanely talented engineers with access to high tech equipment to cut custom designed wing cross sections out of home insulation foam and a bunch of old lovely 90s turbo management tuning poo poo that is never used anymore and it's insanely cheap to go on a totaled Miata that you stuck a hockey puck with a hole in it between the body and subframe where it's bent .

Expertise is free and machine time is free but the materials are what costs in formats like that

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

algebra testes posted:

Hey guys just taking a big sip from a glass of water and seeing what the long term plans for LMP2 are in the WEC...

Yeah but a whole-rear end field of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa58wKUoAa0

Gods I've missed the hybrid bump starts

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

algebra testes posted:

I guess it seems so counter-intuitive to kill a really healthy category that pads out your grids. If they don't get the numbers in LMDh then it'll be silly with 10 protos and 40 gt3s.

Le Mans will still have P2s, the real limitation on WEC is sea freight logistics, which is what has capped the grid at 36 or so for years. With double digit hypercar counts, and expected huge GT3 entries there's really no room for a compelling field size in P2 in WEC

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I haven't heard anything since the initial rumors but I am holding out hope for a Dodge badged Peugeot LMH with the splitter painted yellow

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
All the major manufacturers have had 'factory' silvers for years. BMW runs an entire junior team of up and coming drivers in the NLS. Porsche has their "selected" drivers which are factory supported silvers like Christina Nielsen was for a few years. Catsburg is just posturing and politicking against a rival manufacturer as all good pro drivers will do.

And it's not like Wadoux is a sneaky silver or anything like that, she's a very good driver but I don't think she's gold/plat material just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
LMDh BoP is pretty straightforward right now, especially since they are only running against themselves. Power is limited (and measured) at the axles to 500kW peak. IMSA defines a power curve in the BOP documents that all cars must adhere to over their rev range, by percentage, so at X percent of your rev limit you're allowed to make Y power.

Minimum weights are all identical, the aero box is entirely limited by a maximum lift:drag ratio, and the cars only have one adjustable aero device, the rear wing. Front aero is fixed, so balancing is done with ride heights while overall level is set with the rear wing.

It's a pretty boxed in formula so they're naturally gonna be very close.

The one thing that has intrigued me is how they control that power curve. The MGU actually is a major part of it, if the ICE is exceeding the power limit, the MGU will kick in and generate energy to soak up that overpower. This is of course pretty inefficient fuel-wise since you're adding conversion losses to the gear train losses on any overpower event, so I imagine, much like wastegates in current F1 cars, you'll see that used less and less as the engine control software improves. I suspect the turbo cars will have their boost control on point pretty fast. The Caddy I'm not so sure how they'll efficiently manage engine output to adhere to that curve. Presumably the curve is modeled off a NA engine like DPi BoP is so they won't have too much of a time doing that but while the MGU is deploying they'll still have to cut power. Wonder if they'll pull timing or use a fly-by-wire throttle or change engine maps on the fly.

Tons of really cool software implications behind the scenes that we won't really see too much of since it's designed to be a fairly opaque setup.