Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

lagidnam posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned on the English stream but one of the drivers went 220 km/h through a double yellow zone, which is 100 km/h too fast. The car got a 7:32 time penalty, the driver is disqualified and his Nordschleifen racing permit got immediately revoked. The incident was also reported to the German Motor Sport Federation which will probably ban him from racing for a few more months.

Ops...

That's surprising, I don't remember any other racing leagues loving someone that hard for speeding. I've seen disqualifications sure but that litany of punishments is quite novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shumagorath posted:

I've been low-key hyped for a week already, and I'm so glad I managed to un-gently caress my laptop in time to stream it on my TV.

If you want to get even more hype, the weighting session/car parade is on youtube right now

https://youtu.be/7d-QqpYz3as

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i know first practice is not much to go one but it was still encouraging to see glickenhaus keep pace with toyota. would be nice if the race for the overall win is a real race this year.

Alpine managed to do even worse than usual, maybe they'll grab the bykolles crown and explode in the first hour?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If eurozone goons are desperate i do have Eurosport access but the commentary is in Italian, which might upset sensitive ears. I tested doing a screenshare over discord and facetime, it worked fine in both cases.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I was given to understand that the Eurosport race event itself (ie. not the practice and qualifying sessions), you can select any audio stream you want?

Eurosport proper yes, Discovery+ and other discovery repackages(like the one i use from my ISP at half the price) have usually one language only. The car only feeds usually go up at the start of the race proper, not the FP stints, but this is the first year i sub to eurosport this way so i don't really know.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My discovery+ based service has five sub channels for canadian open and only two sub channels for the toyota onboards. I wasn't expecting to have all cars but at least more effort than a random golf tournament.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Space Camp fuckup posted:

That is a thing of beauty.

I'm mostly watching it on a monitor outside so I can chain smoke. Really celebrating French culture today.

Unless it's Gauloises, it's just sparkling tobacco.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 11, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Harry Lime posted:

Fassbender just got shunted into the gravel, unclear if the car is in a state to be able to rejoin the race. Guess the new Road to Le Mans season is going to be of the sad rather than triumphant variety.

Fassbinder is doing his best act as clueless dentist at lemans, thankfully modern gt3 will means it's very hard to get hurt in spins or sidetrack hits.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I said come in! posted:

This is his second time going off the track right? How did he get onto this team? I'm probably being unfair, but I can't help but wonder if he is really qualified to be driving in this race. I don't know his racing history though.

Second time in the gravel during the race plus one during FP. He is there only as a promotional item by Porsche, winning is in the cards in spite of his efforts.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Space Camp fuckup posted:

What happened to the Alpine hypercar? Last I checked it went into the garage. It’s way behind the rest of the field, did it completely eat poo poo?

Multiple clutch blockages/failures. On the topic of BoP loving Alpine over, I feel like ACO should have told them "No, we won't let you use a LMP1 in another class, go build a proper car" rather than have them run and then nerf it into oblivion to please Toyota.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ewe2 posted:

A few morning crashes, unfortunate :(

My Italian commentary kinda explained why, the brakes are starting to get uneven (calipers are setting slowly in the open position due to vibrations from kerbs) so there are going to be lockups and spins over time

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

AF Corse LMP2 takes out the Corvette handing the win in GTE Pro to AF Corse.

There's gonna be a fight.

Best case scenario af lmp2 gets in immense penality, worst case disqualified and huge monetary punishment.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

I don't think they'll get a punishment tbh, they were just avoiding the AGR car.

Three minutes stop and go, biggest penalty yet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dudley posted:

Seems harsh tbh.

So it was Falb in the 47? All I can see is Sophia is in it now.

Even if it wasn't voluntary, it was a dumb thing to do on the fast part of the fastest straight in the circuit. It's a 300+ km/h zone . The lmp2 team principal just grabbed the driver and took him to Corvette Racing to ask for forgiveness, if it wasn't a stupid move they wouldn't have.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Safety car is out(first since 2018). Everything but hyper car is going to get wild soon.

Edit:

Dudley posted:

I disagree with both parts of that post, he didn't have to be grabbed and he'd probably have gone anyway.

Eurosport clearly shown Amato Ferrari actively pushing the driver thru the pits, body language wasn't showing relax or happiness.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 12, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ewe2 posted:

They were saying the race has really slowed down and a lot of drivers haven't had enough time in the seat. I don't quite understand the bronze-silver time thing, does that relate to who gets to stand on the podium?

https://www.lemans.org/en/page/driver-categories/109

It's a combo of age and performance.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Safety car out, prepare for fun. GTE pro is already knife fighting since their distance got removed.

Edit: race is on, #51 and #91 are fighting hard, pretty fun.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 12, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shumagorath posted:

Woke up at the 2hr mark and wish I could have stayed up for it all. Poor Corvette; we get GT3 next year, right? I remember 2024 but gently caress it I want more manufacturers NOW.

Next year (technically next month in Monza for 9x8) you get Peugeot, Cadillac and Ferrari in hypercar so you can wish for someone other than Toyota or Glick to win. GT3 is 2024.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shumagorath posted:

Can we play Stone Cold's theme over the PA and throw in a pair of Lambos for the last hour?

https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/news/lamborghini-squadra-corse-announces-first-lmdh-prototype

2024 at best.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shumagorath posted:

I meant GTE Pro --> GT3 :v: It's too bad seeing the class shrink down to five cars from two manufacturers with Corvette in the pits. LMP1/LMH I made peace with when Porsche hosed off and denied us more 919 action.

ACO is loving with the manufacturers since when they said "GT3 for 2024", they meant "GT3 cars with a custom package for 2024" which is supposedly 100k€+ per car, so Porsche has already publicly said they are not happy about it (while the rest awaits for ACO to react). I'm expecting Lambo to walk the corporate VAG line.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Surprisingly fun race, last year for the Alpine omnishambles which hopefully will herald some fights in the top category rather than the current farce. LMP2 and GTE were far more fun than usual, with a sudden explosion of action in the early morning today. Shame about the BoP making Ferrari unable to compete, which pretty much kneecapped iron lynx/dames.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Are there any goons going to go see the first Peugeot outing in July?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spaceblancmange posted:

The new Pug still debuting this weekend?

I'll let you know in a couple of days, finishing packing up as i'm typing this.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LMDh aero and speed limitations make it possible to run without big wings, it doesn't require much downforce via rear wings with a bit of help from astute engineering. It could also be a evolutionary item from when LMDh aero rules were still in flux, more akin to LMP1, and remained there thru the design iterations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
ACK! Monza closed most of the stands near curves(i think it's a reaction from last week f1 car crash) so i will have to settle for the finish line ones :(

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just sat down, guess whose paddock is in front of me glick

Edit: the Peugeot exhaust is surprisingly tame compared to Toyota or even Jota lmp2. I’m getting skull hosed by the noise of every other car than the Peugeot.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 8, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Weather is clear, no clouds in sight. Qualifications should be interesting. The stands looked empty yesterday but the free practice session was still during office hours, maybe today there will be more crowd.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Hope there will be!

Crowd is pretty much the same as yesterday, maybe a few more. Cars are warming up engines as we speak.

edit after qualifications: GTE is Ferrari all around while lmp got an early stoppage due to a dead Peugeot on track with the usual suspects at the usual places.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Anime Liker posted:

This may sound stupid, but I've been playing the hell out of Gran Turismo and is there any racing league I could watch that's a similar premise, i.e. production model cars someone could feasibly purchase from a dealership?

Like supercars are neat and all, but I'd love to watch like Mustangs and Camaros and Aston Martins and just normal cars racing.

Nurburgring 24h is so lax you have frankendacias on the race, so that's an option too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Welcome back to Monza, lot more crowd today. Nice sunny weather without a cloud in sight. Teams are doing their last minute tunes as we speak. Start at 1200 CET. See ya in a few hours

Edit: cars on show for the track walk and I’m doing snaps with my potato phone over a reading lens I forgot in my bag. Good Christ I look like an rear end in a top hat

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 10, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Finally back to the hotel, it was a proper wild ride, at the end of the race the whole stands crowd started stanning for Alpine without a reason, hootering and hollering while it fought with the Toyotas during the final leg. Ferrari being a crowd favorite during fights vs Porsche in gte was a bit easier to understand but still awesome. Sad about Prema loving up as usual, throwing a decent half of the race as leaders into a midfield position at the end.

I'm a bit pissed(but not so much) that you could purchase tickets for site access online but the pit lane access was only physical and, by the time i got there, they were all sold out. I got some Peugeot(painfully expensive, the car model they gave away at lemans this year was sold for 82€ and it was too rich for my blood), wec(slightly expensive) and circuit(average prices) merch to commemorate(they were the only stands in the open fan zone). People with pit access lanyards came into the stands with glick caps, porsche foam seat protectors and other odds and sods, nothing to yell at the sky for.

I cannot confirm nor deny going to the track with a wide brim hat and glasses, jinxing the gently caress out of glick.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

Hardly any spectators at Spa. Is that normal?

The GTWorld streams showed several stands being full, same for the awards ceremony.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Brass Hand posted:

Oh okay must have been a few sections closed as on the few segments I did watch a number of stands around the main start/finish and the run down to Eau Rouge were almost empty

There was also a shitload of sun, meaning that stands that didn't have coverings might have been skipped for nearby woods with shade.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

spamman posted:

The latest E-Prix in Seoul just had a really weird pileup

https://youtu.be/kscKEEUdvvo

Formula E habit of making super narrow city tracks(to enhance speed in onboard) makes them easy to create scenarios like this. Most circuits looks like a shittier Macau.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Officially got a ticket for WEC 6 Hours of Fuji, making good on a 8-year threat to go to that race. Praying we don’t have a typhoon that weekend.

Good luck on no adverse weather but i feel like being miserable in rain would be better than the incredible humid heat of japan. Have fun! After Monza this year, i think i might do me some pain and go lemans next, since the grid looks likely to get stacked with some real contenders rather than pity slots.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Custard Undies posted:

Very jealous! Not that I'm super keen on going to Fuji, but I would just love to attend a WEC race at some stage.... LeMans is def on the bucket list

Monza is very doable on a budget, done this year for the first time and even if traveling on business class, I paid pretty much gently caress all for five days (60€ for tickets, 120€ for food, 230€ for comfy lodging and about 350€ for taxis and other assorted transport). Merch stands will bleed you dry if you don't stop yourself.

Edit: here is WEC broadcasting the 2014 fuji race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuGgVTKGX9s

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 20, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
No posts from harper means fuji is now a domain of Neptune empire?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there was just an absolutely horrific crash in the gt america race at road america that does not make me feel very good

e: spoiler tagged because there is no word if he's ok

jesus gently caress

broadcasters said they'll give updates as they get them since there's a bunch more races at road america today they'll be covering

e2: he is ok, phew

https://twitter.com/mar_b_ond/status/1561374463421284355?s=21&t=ax9UFRYEeiazq8994InwcQ

That vantage got compressed into a cygnet holy poo poo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

whatever it is that ByKolles is trying to do

Anything different than burning down in the first three laps is going to start the rupture, which is why aco is trying its best to disqualify them, they don't want the world to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcella posted:

Aston Martins have been having a rough time, there was that one that went sideways into one of the chicanes at Monza a couple weeks ago and flipped over when it hit one of the speed bumps.

I was there and that driver needs to light up candles in church for the rest of his life, if he crashed a second later he would have surely been slammed by the following pack.

https://youtu.be/F550jL4zgXc