Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

quote:

Da Costa blames "overly aggressive" Ticktum for lap 1 Diriyah FE exit

Hi non-F1 ladder fans! Expect a lot of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Good to see M-Sport getting more work and more support from Ford.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Weirdly an indication of the health of the rest of the racing world is the big decline in entries, because people don't feel they NEED this to prepare anymore, the normal seasons are all happening.

But 4 LMP2s, with 1 handed a massive advantage by being the only all-pro car and not having pitstop restrictions didn't make for a good race at the front.

GT though...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's happened earlier than expected.

Audi's a bit strange since they were essentially "Pay a team to run the car Porsche are testing". You wonder if this means anything for the Porsche program.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The ACO/FIA simply doesn't think it needs them anymore. As soon as there's another "brand" or two I imagine Glickenhaus might be in for a nasty shock too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

The BTCC returns today. They've introduced hybrid power and used it to replace success ballast, so different drivers get different amounts of push to pass.

This is such a silly idea. Because it's not even quite what you describe.

For everyone else, if you win a race, you can't use push to pass at all on 10 laps of the next race if the next race is more than 17 laps. Whether it's 18 or 30. And a sliding scale of that bullshit for the top...5?10? Some number. But it's going to be massively different at Thruxton compared to say, Brands.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Where was the white flag? I assume the supra goes for a tow and then realises too late just how slow what he'd have just assumed was a GT300 is.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

We have further shifting into H news.

https://twitter.com/Motor_Sport/status/1526501278129479682

Looks like somebody might be taking up the place Audi has left behind in the order book…

Sounds from the article that it’ll be a customer-only program for WEC and IMSA. It’s also strongly rumored (per Pruett/Goodwin’s most recent podcast) that Iron Lynx could be one of the lead teams, and that may be where a certain retired bike rider might be finding himself stepping into the WEC and Le Mans.

Iron Lynx have been working with Prema a lot recently, which gets them both P2 experience. Rossi though is gonna need to find some more speed in cars.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SlowBloke posted:

That's surprising, I don't remember any other racing leagues loving someone that hard for speeding. I've seen disqualifications sure but that litany of punishments is quite novel.

They loving should thought, that's 130+mph when people possibly on track are expecting cars to be doing 60 tops. That's how you kill people.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's a risk of death at 60km/h (~37mi/h), let alone 100km/h (60mi/h) - and if they aren't killed, they'll be maimed for life.

And that doesn't even consider that racing cars aren't built for being better for pedestrians who get run into by drivers than regular road-going cars.
The more aerodynamic a car is, the worse it is for a pedestrian to be hit by.

That's a slightly mad take. You know there are degrees right?

Also the point is the marshals are expecting cars to be doing 60, and thus taking say 20 seconds from when they come into view, this is stuff Marshals are trained to use.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The "Alpine" has just been stripped of 10kw of power, having only been given 7kw yesterday because it did too well in qualifying and there was a danger someone other than Toyota might win.

This is a car in its 5th LeMans in the same spec, they know drat well how quick it actually is, it's just a farce.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

net work error posted:

Thought it was spelled France

Excellent work.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And hidden in that announcement is they'll be BoPing LMP2 as well so they can still pretend they have 4 manufacturers. So expect that class to start being decided in the stewards room the morning before the race too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The only hope is probably reliability but it depends if they can do what they've been able to do before at this race and run them at 9/10ths to make that less likely.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ant Davidson says the same.

"Nothing should be penalised unless you meant to ram someone" is an interesting sporting approach.

It was a mistake that ruined someone's 24hour on lap 1 because the 31 was trying to win a race on corner 1 of about 2400.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I said come in! posted:

True, at least the 31 gets to keep going. The other guy cant say the same.

I think it's technically running but yeah, it's certainly not winning when a lucky safety car or two and the 31 still might.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

yeah they have not minced words about the absurdity of the bop nerf to the alpine since the very first lap of the race when the alpine was having trouble keeping up with lmp2s on the mulsanne

And the joke of that is the Oreca is pretty much 90% an Oreca 07 LMP2. They've literally made it slower down the straight then itself running in a lower class.

SlowBloke posted:

Multiple clutch blockages/failures. On the topic of BoP loving Alpine over, I feel like ACO should have told them "No, we won't let you use a LMP1 in another class, go build a proper car" rather than have them run and then nerf it into oblivion to please Toyota.

They were desperate. At the time manufacturers weren't committing (and didn't until they were allowed to use IMSA's fake LMP2s) and Glickenhaus were giving off serious "It'll never race" vibes. They were looking at the very real chance of the Toyotas racing literally no-one in hypercar, possibly forever.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Simultaneous retirements from the Corvettes!

I literally missed the crash because I was crossing the 63 off my spotter's guide.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ewe2 posted:

Someone is going to get one hell of a penalty for that shunt.

AF Corse LMP2 takes out the Corvette handing the win in GTE Pro to AF Corse.

There's gonna be a fight.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair it's difficult to have an incident in this race not involving AF Corse, they're running 7 cars, possibly 8.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SlowBloke posted:

Best case scenario af lmp2 gets in immense penality, worst case disqualified and huge monetary punishment.

I don't think they'll get a punishment tbh, they were just avoiding the AGR car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Seems harsh tbh.

So it was Falb in the 47? All I can see is Sophia is in it now.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wasn't it the 45?

I can't say 100% but it looked like the 47 in replays to me. From the front they're near identical though.

I assume Thomas is the Am in the 45?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I disagree with both parts of that post, he didn't have to be grabbed and he'd probably have gone anyway.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Can we go 2 minutes without someone cosplaying a rich dude in a GT Ferrari?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ewe2 posted:

They were saying the race has really slowed down and a lot of drivers haven't had enough time in the seat. I don't quite understand the bronze-silver time thing, does that relate to who gets to stand on the podium?

I'm not sure which bit you don't understand.

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum are FIA driver rankings from amateur to F1. In the Am classes you're required to have at least one bronze.

There are minimum amounts of time you must drive (as much as anything to stop the best driver doing 23hrs 30 and the worst 1 lap).

If you don't meet these the car isn't legal, you will be thrown out of the race entirely. So not only will you not stand on the podium, neither will anyone else.

The reason slowzones and SCs are a problem is, if you're on the edge of someone not in the car doing their minimum, the fact this massively extends the time a fuel stint takes could seriously gently caress you.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

^^ Yeah you're automatically bronze at 50 I believe. Which is a bit mad. If Schumacher hadn't knonked himself he'd now be Bronze. Racing Team Nederland did very well for a while using Jan Lammers that way.

Shumagorath posted:

Woke up at the 2hr mark and wish I could have stayed up for it all. Poor Corvette; we get GT3 next year, right? I remember 2024 but gently caress it I want more manufacturers NOW.

GT3 from 2024. Next year is Am only GTE. Corvette are welcome to let someone enter a C8.

SlowBloke posted:

ACO is loving with the manufacturers since when they said "GT3 for 2024", they meant "GT3 cars with a custom package for 2024" which is supposedly 100k€+ per car, so Porsche has already publicly said they are not happy about it (while the rest awaits for ACO to react). I'm expecting Lambo to walk the corporate VAG line.

Yeah it's pathetic. Make everyone spend a lot of money for no benefit other than making the ACO feel special.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Not July, but I’m planning on going to the Fuji race. Need to see the GTE cars before they get retired.

As posted in Discord, this weekend is Goodwood, and a couple of the LMDH brands are unveiling the new cars officially. Looks like the BMW is part of the display of BMW M racers to celebrate the 50th anniversary, and Porsche is set to officially announce their car tomorrow but…

https://twitter.com/GPiotrowicz66/status/1540041635215671300

Looks like it’s broken cover already.

Broken cover too quickly? Expect a BoP nerf then.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

spaceblancmange posted:

The new Pug still debuting this weekend?

Yes, with an incredibly beneficial BoP so chances are it does very well then explodes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well that's just silly.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Usually it’s not wanting to have staffing in areas when they don’t expect a huge crowd. Certainly is that way for stadiums and others.

Yeah one of the reasons I hate Silverstone is they always close half the stands for anything that isn't F1 (Understandable) but it's always the good stands so they can KeEp ThE f1 WeEkEnD sPeCiAl or something.

Like even at the MotoGP last I checked you can't sit at the stowe grandstand that can see down the hanger straight but the one further round the corner which is identical but with a worse view is open.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yep, the Caddy is a Dallara. The Porsche a Multimatic.

Not sure we've never seen any of the others in the flesh.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

To be fair, even Peugeot said that they're a test team that showed up to race

Yeah that was always the point and the basic speed is within BoP so they'll be quite happy with that, they now know they can concentrate on making it keep working for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Even if it's not an actual customer once you've got the damned car there's almost no reason to not race both series.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Given it's incredibly low effort for most of them it shouldn't too quickly. As Harper points out they've basically stuck the bodywork from their old Oreca LMP2 on the new one and jammed an Indycar derived engine in there.

As opposed to spending £200m making an LMP1.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

I mean yeah the new few years will be epic, but it doesnt change the overall pattern that the LeMans24 will eventually become a TCR race or whatever.

In all honesty these are already basically overgrown TCR cars, hell in IMSA it's already one of the support classes. Standard cars, corporate but BoPed engines and aero.

Great racing probably, but no longer prototypes.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think they made the last sector quite so fiddly to get the circuit length up for F1.

If they had the money to just redesign that again, not to go back to the original because it's 2022 but just to make it a little less awkward, it could be really good.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

At least they're different teams.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I must be broken I've been to the Sebring 12 and never even considered I needed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'd missed that Frits Van Eerd had joined the hallowed ranks of motor racers doing crimes to fund their racing.

https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/news/racing-team-nederland-withdraws-petit/10375091/

RTN car not running at Petit but given they just pay TDS and he's been chucked out of the sponsor, I suspect that's them done even if this doesn't go full Scott Tucker.