Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know too much about Vince or Donnie's parents; all joking aside what's this now about them possibly being brothers by blood and not 'creepy assholes who want to gently caress their daughters and are monsters to everyone.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Eclipse12 posted:

I used to do reviews of old Raws and was thinking of starting up again. Cool if I post them here?

I'd love to read about the madness of the Attitude Era more. Like I imagine many in this thread, my big issue with wrestling is all the wrestling. While the athleticism is incredible for what it is and I can see the appeal, for me it's uninteresting. Ridiculous and tasteless drama? Hell yeah, sign me up.

Got links to the old reviews? I have archives so not an issue.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, Cornwind Evil, I have some questions about heels and faces, if you don't mind?

You've said that 'cool heels' are a problem and from your writeups I can kind of see how/why, but like how do you account for the fact though that, like, good villains are generally cool? I mean you mention Star Wars and yeah, while it's important that Vader and the Empire lose, it's also worth noting that Empire merch sells like hotcakes and every kid thought Vader was cool. I mean look at superhero comics, also; generally speaking the good villains are just as popular as their heroes. Look at Venom! Like generally speaking a villain who's just a big scary bad guy but not cool - say, Doomsday - isn't fondly remembered and the storyline involving them isn't really one people celebrate.

Like how can a heel be effective without either just doing cheap heat that gets stale fast, or else by being cool?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Vince is an absolute monster and in many ways comparable to Trump, but I do think he's notably 'better' in at least two ways
First he's got at least some intelligence and was at least for a time good at what he does. Trump is legitimately one of the most unintelligent people in the public sphere, like, ever, and infamously terrible at business. And second, and more laudably (even though Vince is still a monstrous rear end in a top hat and the world will be better off when he is no longer in it) Vince is actually willing to do some work himself and like, actually do something beyond 'exist and demand praise for existing.' Like the Trump-owned WWF would never have had Mr. Trump taking bumps or whatnot.

Vince for all his faults is at least willing to put in some work. Trump is not.

EDIT: I mean, hell, imagine Trump injuring himself in any way, shape, or form on the way in to the ring and how the rest of that scenario plays out vs what happened when Vince blew out both his quads. I hate having to defend Vince, but yeah. You can say positive things about him; I literally can't think of anything positive you can say about Trump.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 11, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know this is a little late, but my favourite "crazy Vince" story is from Brian Gerwitz's book in which he reveals that Vince hates Giraffes on principle. Because he cannot stand the idea of an animal that big that limits itself to only eating plants/vegetation.

My least favourite story about Vince is that he is a rapist that uses his wealth to pay off his victims and get away with it and has done so for decades. That is not as funny.

"He hates giraffes on principle." is the greatest sentence in any language.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So there's an amazing podcast I am loving to bits 'X-Plaining the X-Men' where the hosts go through the entire in-universe history of the X-Men and their adjacent titles, starting from the Silver Age and going on in chronological order from there, doing a handful of issues each episode.
Is there anything like that for wrestling? Like a podcast or series of articles that just start with, like, say, the Attitude Era and go in chronological order from each episode and PPV? Talking about the matches and insane storylines and poo poo?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Speaking of toning it down and insane gimmick stuff, I seem to recall hearing that in addition to and as a counterpoint to Dustin suggesting he get breast implants, Terri was asked to wear a prosthetic penis so she'd have a visible bulge.

90s wrestling is the most insane poo poo.

And yeah, as a kid and teen I barely remember the Ruthless Aggression era being a thing. Like it felt - and honestly in most ways still does besides different wrestlers - still like the Attitude Era. The same blend of sleaze and madness.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean I have always thought it pretty telling that, in America anyway, all of the really big name mainstream superstar wrestlers are generally at best okay, maybe good, in the ring but are really known first and foremost for their characters. Many of them were, in fact, quite terrible in the ring - Hogan being a classic example.

I think Benoit may be, again in America, probably the most popular wrestler who got famous on his in-ring talent (and then, of course, for something else) rather than on his personality/character.

EDIT: What I'm saying is: wrestling is of secondary importance in wrestling.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Szyznyk posted:

They Nashed every dollar of that poor kid’s lottery winnings away on that disaster. Carny as gently caress.

I am unfamiliar with this story but feel strongly it belongs in this thread.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

MrQwerty posted:

Hulk Hogan is alive purely because of the sheer eldritch strength of the all-powerful lie he is telling regarding the status of his mortality brother

This. Hogan died around a decade or so ago he's just lying about being alive.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Isn't Mick Foley supposed to be like one of the nicest guys in the business?

Being one of the nicest people in the pro-wrestling business is damning with faint praise.
Foley is, by all accounts, pretty much a Saint. I've never heard anything bad about him, and he seems to do a lot of genuinely wonderful work with good charities and to be a genuinely nice and great guy to fans.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kennel posted:

True in the 90s, but plenty of the current wrestlers seem to be really nice.

Yeah, the kids are alright. Although given my experience watching AEW and even WWE for work I'm pretty sure alot of the current wrestlers are dudes from the 90s. Well, I mean, 90s an early aughts, which in the case of wrestling are basically the same period.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm always baffled at how many wrestlers are bad actors because, like, wrestling is at least 50% acting. Especially in America! Other than Benoit who later became more famous for his *other work*, pretty much every single super popular American wrestler was either bad or meh in the ring, and really became famous due to the character they played rather than their athletic ability.

Also the Rock's fundamental flaw as an actor is that what he's trying to be no longer exists. The movie star is a thing of yesteryear, it no longer exists in any recognizable form.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Haschel Cedricson posted:

My favorite movie with The Rock was probably Get Smart.

Honestly, same. I feel like he honestly has pretty great comedic timing, and he's obviously charismatic as hell. I feel like if he was willing to do comedy more and actually be the butt of jokes, he'd be really drat popular and big, even more than he is. Like I honestly think he has, or at least had, it in him to be a great comedic actor. But alas.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Robocop is ready again. Give him the strap. And an oreo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The key to understanding Vince is that while Trump is a howling void and devoid of any ideals whatsoever, Vince is not. Vince is, whether or not he realizes it, a genuine fascist. I don't mean he's an authoritarian conservative - although he obviously is in his own way - I mean he's a full blown fascist. He exalts, fetishizes, and worships power as an ends rather than a means. Once you understand this, literally all his weird hang-ups and issues make perfect sense. Of course he finds giraffes offensive; they have power but don't exercise it. Of course sneezing and yawning is bad, it's a loss of control, the surrender of power to his autonomous bodily processes, so on and so forth.

Vince is one of the most ideologically pure and consistent fascists to ever live, honestly.