Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Infidel Castro posted:

Nope. Mosh from the Headbangers was repackaged as Beaver Cleavage and the gimmick implied he was having sex with his mom.

And then he disavowed Beaver Cleavage and became regular guy Chaz. Then his mom revealed that she was actually his girlfriend and his whole gimmick was beating the poo poo out of her.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jamesman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCUSCTG6gk

This aired the same day as the London bombings. Following this, Hassan was kept off television do to network demands, and was essentially killed off on the pay-per-view event that was coming up and then eventually released from the company, and Copani retired from wrestling. Funnily enough, Daivari would remain in WWE and on TV for another two years.

It was taped on a Tuesday to air on a Thursday. They knew about the London bombings and still showed the whole thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Time_pants posted:

It is... hard to watch. Goldberg managed to concuss himself before the match even started.

e: before making it out of backstage, even

What did he do, open a door with his head?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

Goldberg likes to psyche himself up pre-match by slamming his head into a locker. This has worked against him time to time, like when his head kept bleeding during a promo and he started trailing off.

So Goldberg concussed himself via his pre-match ritual and had to put on a 10-minute match with the Undertaker. At one point he went for his finisher, the Jackhammer, where he holds Undertaker upside-down and is supposed to twist and slam him safely on his back. Instead, he fell over and dropped the Undertaker straight down on his head. Now the Undertaker was out of it and when he went for the Tombstone, he didn't do it safely and Goldberg's head bounced off the mat. In the end, Undertaker did a chokeslam that was more of a "choke-push" and upon getting the pin, was openly pissed off about everything that just happened.

So I was pretty close.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jamesman posted:

Kane - real name Glenn Jacobs - is now currently the Libertarian-Republican mayor of Knox County, Tennessee.

He's also ironically an anti-mask shithead, gently caress him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ryder’s also a huge nerd that’s always guesting on YouTube shows and podcasts about action figures and theme parks.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Raymond Stereo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cornwind Evil posted:

At least in that case, they had some entertainment by having someone playing Bill Clinton at ringside who interfered and then did stuff like "I did not just interfere in that match!" He did a pretty good impression of the man, all things considered.

At least they were upfront about the fact that they were impersonators. In the early 90s they would have a Bill Clinton lookalike in the crowd and the commentators would insist that yes, the President of the United States is in attendance and being interviewed by IRS.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What holds were they barring up until that point?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That doesn't answer my question you nincompoop.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

terry funk got kicked by a horse in the middle of a match (long story) and kept going the man is on a whole other level even among hardcore wrestlers

Funk punched the horse in return while yelling "You fuckin' horse! I'll kick your rear end!"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sort of like when Goldberg was supposed to punch through a car window with his fist aided by a steel pipe concealed in his jacket sleeve. Except he dropped the pipe and decided to do it bare-handed, immediately severing an artery and missing like six months after the surgery.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Watching it again I'm not sure how he was supposed to conceal a pipe considering he had no sleeves so I may be mistaking what actually happened.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you fight friends

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AlmightyBob posted:

Goldberg forgetting his pipe reminded me that Tank Abbott (huuuuge ufc rear end in a top hat who never won poo poo) was in the wcw and they told him to bring a weapon to the ring so he came out with a knife, put it up to his opponent's throat, and they had to go to commercial so they could fire him

The commentators tried to cover for Tank by saying “He was trying to shave his beard!” but the dude didn’t even have stubble.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Berzerker’s gone completely insane you say?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love all the different things that have been inside the urn. Ashes, green smoke, a flashlight, etc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gorilla Monsoon on commentary would regularly make references live on air to the ongoing child molestation in the company because he thought it was funny.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He would reference the "Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense" which was basically the ring boys learning how to keep from being sexually assaulted by Terry Garvin.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He heard they prevent sneezes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not with that attitude.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

pentyne posted:

Watching the VICE Dark Side of the Ring on the plane ride led me to google for more details and uh, is the wrestling fandom wiki run by insane diehard fans because that article makes literally no mention of the sexual assaults.

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/The_Plane_Ride_From_Hell

For a long time the Plane Ride from Hell was regarded as a wild time where fun was had by all and a lot of the uglier poo poo hadn’t come out yet. Then some of the details were revealed and WWE decided to do an episode of their short-lived cartoon about it that portrayed Flair as this delightful rascal that was just playing a few pranks. It wasn’t really until the Dark Side of the Ring episode that they started treating it as a bad thing and that was only after the backlash. Flair was still sexually assaulting women on live television until just a few years ago.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was another documentary recently that was a positive portrayal but still included the video where he was losing his poo poo because he had to film an apology after yelling at a kid.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that the video where Warrior puts a music track to him telling Hogan "I bet I'm the only guy that said no to doing your wife"?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He eventually went with “Same Warrior time, same Warrior place, same Warrior…CHANNEL”

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

warriors comic rules because almost every issue opens with a long rant about money and readers not understanding the simplicity of destrucity and its all illegible because the text is blending into the background

He also did a holiday issue with no dialogue but he did put Santa in bondage gear and tie him to a cross before stealing his clothing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He even reused art from the guy he fired for taking time off due to his chemo treatments.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hulk Hogan’s best friend Tugboat would ask kids to write get well soon letters and send them to him with his fat arms.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AlmightyBob posted:

the best ridiculous wrestler cameos are the rock on voyager and big show on enterprise

There's an episode of the New Love Boat from the late 90s where Kevin Nash and Goldberg get into a fight and break deck chairs over each other's backs.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bobby heenan, who was suffering from a bad neck and was explicitly off limits to taking big bumps asked warrior to not do a clothesline or be too rough with him and the moment the spot happened warrior clotheslined him from behind and hosed him up real bad

There's also the time he picked up Heenan for a press slam and just dropped him instead of doing literally anything else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And the wrestlers that did have fathers were raised by people like Grizzly Smith and Fritz von Erich,

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Trump couldn't even be bothered to remember Bobby Lashley's name despite being "his guy" for that one Wrestlemania.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That would also be DDP.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But I didn't feel the bang.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, older wrestlers will complain "All these young guys do is play video games and work out and shoot YouTube videos backstage" and it's like, yeah, and they're not dropping dead by the age of forty either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's also held together with steel rods, plastic joints, fused vertebrae, and pure bullshit.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I was sure Takei had died within the last year so thank you for the good news.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's Wrestlemania VII that has the depressing number of dead wrestlers if I'm not mistaken.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And of course it's just a side note that Mr T was there and went on a nearly half hour ramble until he had to be asked to stop.

The funniest thing Mr. T ever did was wear a referee shirt for no reason for his match with Kevin Sullivan at Starrcade ‘94 and then get hopelessly stuck in it for two straight minutes when Sullivan tried to pull it over his head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Lack of destrucity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cornwind Evil posted:

Bollea's racism mystifies me, in a 'I don't know how he could have picked those sort of opinions up' sense. Which probably just shows my ignorance or overthinking about racism.

The dress code at Hogan’s beach club.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 24, 2023