Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SirPhoebos posted:

It reminds me of a discussion I had a friend who said it would be amazing if for one Royal Rumble there was a surprise 31st entrant. My response was that it would be true the first time it happened, but both he and I knew that WWE wouldn't be able to resist doing again in every subsequent RR (and still acting like it was a big loving deal).

It was funny when New Legacy Inc streamed simulated Royal Rumble matches and one game had something weird like 34 entrants, so new guys just kept coming and nobody knew when it would end.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

also, on the subject of selling,

https://i.imgur.com/FF4dIM4.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zerg Mans posted:

why did people ever blade, it always looked gross as hell

It's visually interesting and tells a story (fight getting really serious).

Happens IMO maybe a bit too often in AEW lately. The impact isn't as great, when you see it every few weeks.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- WWE and its Board of Directors jointly released the following statement today:

Independent directors continue review of alleged executive misconduct

Stephanie McMahon named interim CEO and interim Chairwoman

Stamford, Conn. – WWE (NYSE: WWE) and the Board of Directors today announced that a Special Committee of the Board is conducting an investigation into alleged misconduct by its Chairman and CEO Vincent McMahon and John Laurinaitis, head of talent relations, and that, effective immediately, McMahon has voluntarily stepped back from his responsibilities as CEO and Chairman of the Board until the conclusion of the investigation. McMahon will retain his role and responsibilities related to WWE’s creative content during this period and remains committed to cooperating with the review underway.

The Special Committee has appointed Stephanie McMahon to serve as interim CEO and interim Chairwoman.

“I have pledged my complete cooperation to the investigation by the Special Committee, and I will do everything possible to support the investigation. I have also pledged to accept the findings and outcome of the investigation, whatever they are,” said Mr. McMahon.

“I love this company and am committed to working with the Independent Directors to strengthen our culture and our Company; it is extremely important to me that we have a safe and collaborative workplace. I have committed to doing everything in my power to help the Special Committee complete its work, including marshaling the cooperation of the entire company to assist in the completion of the investigation and to implement its findings,” said Ms. McMahon.

WWE and its Board of Directors take all allegations of misconduct very seriously. The Independent Directors of the Board engaged independent legal counsel to assist them with an independent review. In addition, the Special Committee and WWE will work with an independent third-party to conduct a comprehensive review of the company’s compliance program, HR function and overall culture.

The Company and the Board do not expect to have further comment until the investigation is concluded.
https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2022/06-17-2022-120023255

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gavok posted:

With Vince McMahon retiring from WWE and Triple H stepping up, Fish was suddenly openly talking to the media about how great Triple H is and how he'd go to war for him. He was also openly making GBS threads on Punk online. Soon it was revealed that Fish's AEW contract was up and he wasn't interested in re-signing.

This was pretty hilarious/sad:

quote:

Bobby Fish believes that CM Punk's martial arts-inspired offense is "insulting the audience's intelligence."

During an interview with NBC Sports Boston released on Friday, Fish discussed his match with Punk from the October 27, 2021 edition of Dynamite. The finish of the match saw Fish appear to kick-out of Punk's GTS just as the referee was counting three. Punk was declared the winner regardless.

"Phil is not a bad pro-wrestler but what Phil is not is a martial artist," Fish said. "I've been doing martial arts since I was eight years old, so I take a lot of pride in it."

"He is a pro-wrestler, so go out, tackle, drop down, leapfrog, get it again, all that stuff, all good. In that lane, dare I say, he's got talent but when it comes to martial arts, you are insulting the audience's intelligence because we are supposed to be creating an atmosphere where you can suspend your disbelief."

Fish continued to say that selling for Punk's more MMA-inspired offense was insulting to him.

"It's honestly insulting for you as one of my co-workers or peers. As a martial artist, you are asking me to go out and sell, put over, your bunk** martial arts which is insulting to the audience, it's insulting to me."

Fish continued to say that Punk was not happy with him after their match.

"Phil, after the match, was a c**t. Frankly, as a martial artist, I went out and I laid my shoulders down for you. You should be grateful that I did because on national TV if I decided that I wanted to f**king Haku your rear end, I could have because you're that little bit of a threat in my world. I'm not Jon Jones, or Anderson Silva, but I've been doing martial arts since I was young and I can handle myself enough to where I will fold you like a wet nap, Phill Brooks. So, for you to be c**ty afterwards because of a mistake that you made, it just doesn't wear well."

Fish went on to criticize Punk for using the GTS as his finisher, a move that was first used by KENTA.

"Not to mention, the move that he finished me with, is not even his finish. It was KENTA's. You know, Phil, you took a man's finishing move, which anybody who knows pro-wrestling knows that's kind of f***ed up and you weren't even decent enough to change the name."

Fish was asked about Punk's comments at the All Out media scrum as well.

"I think Phil kind of showed the world the scumbag he can be. Maybe he's not that scumbag every day, but I guess we all got a little bit of scumbag in us and some of us do a better job at controlling it than others."

On his podcast earlier this week, Fish "invited" Punk to face him in a boxing, kickboxing, or MMA fight. He expanded on those thoughts during the interview with NBC Sports Boston.

"It's pretty apparent to people who are paying any attention, I don't like you, you don't like me, we can have a competition," Fish continued. "Let's make it a competition where I'm trying to hurt you, you're trying to hurt me. Not you going to the booker after a misunderstanding in our match that I put you over in, I sold your bunk** bulls**t martial arts for you, I did you that favor and then because of a misunderstanding you're going to act all c**ty. Meanwhile, we can just get in the ring or octagon or whatever and actually compete against each other, let's do it."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Clint Bobski was a name Jericho used in college video skits. Later in AEW he made a comedy segment that featured a woman named Patricia Bobski and WWE sent him a cease and desist, so he went and trademarked Clint Bobski.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bonzo posted:

Why not just license the WWE name or franchise it? Just do the territory model again so you have WWE South, WWE West, WWE Mid-west, etc. Then at a yearly PPV you do North vs South, East vs West, USA vs Canada and such

They kind of wanted/want to do this with different continents, but their weak attempts in the UK and Japan didn't really work.

I fail to see how fragmenting the US market would benefit them in any way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
More:
https://twitter.com/Lucas_Shaw/status/1626658332324032512

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
*Elimination Chamber

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I decided to try and take a look.

The only WWE N64 game Jarrett was in was Wrestlemania 2000.

Wrestlemania 2000 released on 31/10/1999, on Halloween at the very end of October.

Jeff Jarrett's last appearance, where he held up McMahon for 200 grand, was October 17th, 1999.

Jeff Jarrett's stats according to a guide.

Offensive Attributes:

Head: 2
Body: 3
Arms: 2
Legs: 2
Flying Attack: 1

Defensive Attributes:

Head: 1
Body: 2
Arms: 2
Legs: 2
Flying Attack: 1

.....yeah. I can DEFINITELY see Vince being that petty.

AEW should do the same to Cody in their game. AFAIK he's still going to be in it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9hctehAHKA

the money shot at 40 seconds

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

pentyne posted:

fandom wiki run by insane diehard fans

Certainly not

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Stand up for WWE

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It should be Nick Gage.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He even does the classic move of finally hiring someone to do x to shut up the people telling him he needs to delegate, and then makes sure they have no actual power or contribution by continuing to override or micromanage everything they do until they give up and become a yes-man or quit.

And sometimes they get fired as a scapegoat, when the numbers are bad.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Could be worse. Two, for example.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nobody knows for sure. Wikipedia lists few theories

quote:

One theory suggests that it was derived from a word manipulation of the term "be fake" (à la pig latin and other argots), designed to conceal the true meaning.

Another theory claims that there actually was a wrestler called "Kay Fabian" who was mute. Neither claim has ever been substantiated.[2] Another theory suggests that the term derives from the expression "keep cavey", from the Latin verb caveo, which means "look out for"; this phrase was used throughout Britain and by Jews living in East London between World War I and World War II. According to that theory, many US promoters and wrestlers at that time were of Eastern European origin and many had heavy accents, leading to the term being transformed into "kayfabe".[2]

Kennel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 1, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Doesn't seem to be about Trump.

Vince's comments:
“In 2022, WWE formed a special committee to review allegations of misconduct against me. That review was concluded in November 2022 following an extensive investigation. Throughout this experience, I have always denied any intentional wrongdoing and continue to do so. I am confident that the government’s investigation will be resolved without any findings of wrongdoing. I am focused on completing the recovery process from my recent spinal surgery and on closing our transaction with Endeavor, which will create one of the preeminent global sports and entertainment brands.”

WWE
“We believe this is a continuation of the investigation that commenced last summer. WWE has cooperated throughout and fully understands and respects the government’s need for a complete process.”

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Isn't most of that from the bucket of blood they dumped on him?

Yeah, it was clear (intentionally, I presume) that it wasn't real blood.

The clip obviously doesn't show that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He's the leader of Dark Order.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
CM Punk got fired lol

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

David D. Davidson posted:

Jokes aside given the business it's honestly really impressive AEW actually managed to handle this. Hell just go through some of the effortposts in this thread and there a million stories of petty drama queens making asses of themselves like this and being rewarded for poo poo like this.

imo, up until now, they didn't manage it well at all.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

-One of the things that led to the end of Punk and Colt's friendship was, during the WWE doctor's lawsuit against them, Colt went backstage at a WWE show. It's been said that he was just visiting friends he knew when they came to town, but Punk absolutely freaked out and apparently thought Colt was trying to do a deal to get out of his half of the lawsuit, and that's what basically kicked off the ending of their friendship.

Then it turned out that he wasn't even at the backstage and was just having a pizza with his WWE friends.
https://wrestlingnews.co/aew-news/the-rift-between-cm-punk-and-colt-cabana-started-over-cabana-getting-pizza-with-wwe-stars

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources that Jamie Horowitz, who held the post of Executive Vice President of Development and Digital, WWE, is no longer with World Wrestling Entertainment as a result of the post-Endeavor aquisition layoffs.

Horowitz had been with the company from June 2021 on, coming over from streaming DAZN, where he was Executive Vice President of Global Content.

He was among those brought into the company by now-WWE President Nick Khan. In that regard, his departure is somewhat surprising.

e. wrong wwe thread, but whatever

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 15, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jonny Nox posted:

but anyways, Ed Leslie ladies and etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OPKZLrOTs

Just wait til you see his bottom-18 gimmicks!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He actually trademarked "Ledgend" (I presume it's just for a silly t-shirt)

Also, "Cope"

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/adam-copeland-files-several-trademarks-on-day-of-aew-debut

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He thought it was Meltzer.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Being one of the nicest people in the pro-wrestling business is damning with faint praise.

True in the 90s, but plenty of the current wrestlers seem to be really nice.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wee Bairns posted:

This makes me wonder, was there ever a wrestler, indie or somewhere, whos gimmick was Jesus? We've seen plenty of disgraced clergy and an amazing victory over the Almighty....

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
And then he posted:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cartoon Man posted:

CM Punk debuts tonight but it’s a house show and not on TV. Guess they wanna test the waters first? Or is it to build hype?

Seems pretty clever. They'll make tons of money with a special house shows and leave the actual debut to the big show.

It would probably be different if he hadn't wrestled 30+ televised matches last couple of years.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Devil already unmasked two weeks ago and it was Adam Cole, which was the least surprising, but probably the best option considering that attempts to swerve the fans have historically led to very stupid outcomes.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 13, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NorgLyle posted:

During the lead up to his final match my friend and I were talking about Sting and his useless WWE run and we were both completely lost as to why when they had the chance they never did a Sting - Undertaker match. Allergy to money, I suppose.

They didn't have a real chance to do it before he got injured. They could have done that at Sting's debut Mania (instead of HHH) or a non-Mania show, but money-wise it was probably smart plan to save it for the next Mania.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
In football you get a red card for stopping a streaker.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1783946611048989003

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cartoon Man posted:

What happened to cause him to “need” the neck brace?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zok-ZNOMsI&t=200s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jamesman posted:

If I owned a circus, I would simply run the circus. I would not get on the high-wire or gently caress the elephants.

Nobody needs to see me. They came here for the professional clowns.

Now you talk like a person who will never own a circus.