Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tried watching a Vice documentary on Montreal and holy cow how do you have Bret available as an interviewee and dedicate so much time to Cornette & Russo and treat anything they say as reliable? Dunno if Shawn Michaels showed up to save the doc as I turned it off.

Cornwind Evil posted:

They ain't the only ones who let their gimmick eat them alive. Hulk Hogan also had it happen, as did Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase did for a time before he pulled back via religion (god I hope that is an example of religion actually having a positive effect on someone)

From the Athletic’s article on Lex Luger religion seemed to do him a lot of good late in life. Probably not for everyone but glad to hear he was in a better place physically & mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

drat butterbean gave him the same hit he almost killed Knoxville with

Knoxville had it worse, though, with the head impacting on a display counter thing and all

Was Butterbean ok?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Great thread, did someone already effortpost about Steve Blackman? Him getting simultaneous malaria & dysentery in South Africa and being bedridden for two years seems like a story.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

In one of the N64 games wrestlers had ability stats I believe between 1 to 5, & I was confused Jeff Jarrett had pathetic numbers like 1-1-1-2-1 (or something like that it’s been a while) & thought it was a programming error.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

I decided to try and take a look.

The only WWE N64 game Jarrett was in was Wrestlemania 2000.

Wrestlemania 2000 released on 31/10/1999, on Halloween at the very end of October.

Jeff Jarrett's last appearance, where he held up McMahon for 200 grand, was October 17th, 1999.

Jeff Jarrett's stats according to a guide.

Offensive Attributes:

Head: 2
Body: 3
Arms: 2
Legs: 2
Flying Attack: 1

Defensive Attributes:

Head: 1
Body: 2
Arms: 2
Legs: 2
Flying Attack: 1

.....yeah. I can DEFINITELY see Vince being that petty.

Ahahhahaha good work!

I liked how the storyline mode was winning every PPV, obtaining every belt, then defending them but never losing.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 29, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

two gatorades lol

the entire thing was really depressing and terrifying has further tarnished his wrestling legacy ric flair is determined to reenact the wrestler and die in the ring dn the people who should be preventing this are just enabling him

Lots of the Wrester comparisons in this article… from 12 years and one wife ago: https://grantland.com/features/the-wrestler-real-life/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

That's one part of wrestling being 'fake' that the bad faith critics never consider: these men and women are stuck in their roles for longer than any other acting type.

Yeah, Will Sasso told of when he was doing goofy promo sketches for MADtv with wrestlers & was surprised Steve Austin nailed it in one take, then someone explained it made sense as Austin had done hundreds of hours more tv acting than Sasso.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gavok posted:

The new AEW game is going to get a bit messy.

https://twitter.com/AEWGames/status/1661054508363923461

What are the standards for big wrestling companies when it comes to blood or injuries in the ring? Like I know about blading but if a wrestler is clearly bleeding too much is there a signal to end the match ASAP so he can get aid?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

I think there was no attempt at subterfuge, he straight up was supposed to have the pipe in his hand and straight up lost it.

One of my favorite failed WCW subterfuges was Jericho being “locked” out of a venue & pounding on the door to get in, and a non-briefed stagehand politely opens a door & Jericho still has to sell being stuck outside.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Speaking of wrestling "schools": back in the 1980s, journeyman wrestler and noted all-around rear end in a top hat Buzz Sawyer--in between taking liberties with rookies and jobbers in the ring and burning his bridges with nearly every promoter in the US due to his unpredictable behavior and propensity for getting in fights both backstage and at bars--would offer to "train" guys trying to break into the business. Said training consisted of taking a dude's money and then vanishing into the night (maybe if they were lucky, he might give them one training session, where he'd either potato them with punches or stretch them, as part of "paying their dues").

One of the guys whose money he disappeared with was a young Mark Calaway. When he wrestled in WCW as Mean Mark Callous, he finally caught up to Sawyer (who was part of the J-Tex Corporation that was briefly feuding with Flair and Sting, after Flair beat Funk in an "I Quit" match, and before the Horsemen reformed), and was only prevented from beating the poo poo out of him by ring announcer Gary Michael Capetta, who urged Calaway to think of his future in the business vs. getting in trouble with WCW and Turner Broadcasting management (who had purchased WCW only a short time previously) for fighting Sawyer.

Calaway later became known as the Undertaker. Buzz Sawyer died of a drug overdose in 1992.

Jim Cornette broke his nose with a tennis racket? Maybe it happened but I’m guessing the primary source for that is Cim Jornette.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

What the work schedule like for a low to mid card guy with a major organization? Like it is two shows a week, and would they fly to most locations or travel with the trucks moving the show equipment? Do they have it set up so they can go home for a few weeks every few months? Does WWE have a trailer with nothing but workout equipment or do they rent a local gym?

Closest reference point I can think of is baseball playing 162 games a year but at least they can go home for half those & have winters off.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Watched not great documentary on Montreal Screwjob, many key players weren’t interviewed but wouldn’t you know it Cornette & Russo were happy to talk & revealed they may have played a previously unknown role in development. I’m pretty sure if a camera were pointed at them long enough they’d mention being ringside when Gorgeous George debuted.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince russo is very stupid and despite working in the wrestling business for years still has no idea how it works

A writer pitching that he becomes heavyweight champ & it’s not laughed down or vetoed immediately is still amazing. Might even crack the top ten WCW moments but there is red hot competition.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gavok posted:

Now, while this aired, Nash and Hall were watching this together and they were very, VERY confused. Then they got a call from WCW brass. They were very afraid that there was some contractual loophole that they might have missed and took JR's promo seriously. They offered to stack more money onto Nash and Hall's already insane contracts just to make sure they didn't jump ship. Their reaction was basically, "Uh... sure!"

Lol turning up the money hose is the most WCW response possible.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I forget if Kevin Nash was talking about WCW or WWE, but he basically referred to one (if not both) of those companies as a malfunctioning ATM that just keeps on spitting out money, and he was like "nobody's gonna walk away from that"

He had a great cameo on Detroiters

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

he could have made more money though by not destroying the company that was so bad with cash that it was paying for every person on the roster to fly to every show even if they were not on the those shows or even actively wrestling

I wonder which WCW wrestler had the longest time on the roster being flown to every show and despite being healthy was given nothing to do but still got a paycheck. Gotta be a few dozen who did that for years.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the book The Rise and Fall of WCW rules and it is staggering how utterly stupid the company was from top to bottom, and how they managed to gently caress up a good thing via sheer incompetence

Oh yeah that book is a must read. So many delightful WCW screwups, especially the charming little ones like paying for newspaper ad space for events that already happened. I like how despite the wastefulness, Ted Turner messing around with WCW was like a percent of a percent of a percent of the $99 billion AOL Time Warner loss that finally took down WCW.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

THE UNDERTAKER’S NO GOOD, VERY BAD, FIRST CAREER QUARTER

Thanks for the effort posts these are fascinating.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Last Call posted:

The Giant Gonzales reading lit a memory in my noggin and it starts with Extreme Warfare.

Ever play with that? It's a wrestling simulator that has been going since the late 90's. For a lot of us ol fans it was the best and only way to simulate owning and running a wrestling business.
You could be WWE, WCW, ECW, a bunch of others or make up your very own, it was great.

You could sign or fire wrestlers and even the refs! Some were naturally better than others and could affect the overall rating of the match. Business could swing up or down on the random affecting ad deals or even if the network wanted you or not. It all affected the money. You needed that to run things, unless you gave yourself a trillion dollars to start with and went wild as you wanted.

Someone should do a good write up on the whole thing.

Oh man that was a fun game to mess around in. I remember trying to craft an interesting event but my tag team tables ladders chairs match between top talents would get like a 56 crowd reaction, then the incident “Matt Hardy receives a mysterious phone call” would get like a crowd reaction in the 80s, and at that point I gave up and just started tanking the WWE. I think you could donate all your operating funds to charity.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kevin nash told a story on his podcast how they wanted him to only spend 15 minutes with a make a wish kid because of scheduling and he told them to gently caress off he was her wish and he was going to stay with her as long as she wanted

Oh that’s good. Which other wrestlers besides Cena & Foley have reputations for being good to fans when they don’t have to be?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

warrior also couldnt wrestle you can say a lot about hogan but hogan could put on a good match warrior would wind himself running to the ring and wrestlers didnt want to do long matches with him because warrior would botch moves and seriously injure them so almost all warrior matches were 30 second squash matches that got boring quickly

Oh yeah wasn’t that why he squashed Honky Tonk Man so fast, as he feared injury if forced to be in the ring more than a few seconds with Warrior?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

When Earthquake took out Hogan so Hulk could leave tv for a bit was a huge memory of mine. I remember all the updates on the devastating injuries Hulk had and where you could write him your best wishes.
It was hokey as hell, but at the time it was played perfectly.

I’m surprised they didn’t have a 1-900 number to call to leave Hulkster a get well soon message.

I remember in one of the WWF Sega games Ultimate Warrior was the final boss & nearly impossible to beat (with my skill set) but he had one of the worst special moves as he’d freak out for a second or two then dive at the opponent for massive damage, except your opponent could easily move out of the way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Aside from Warrior, who had a reputation for working stiff & unintentionally injuring opponents? Guessing the locker room wouldn’t put up with that for non-big names.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Which event was it where Warrior had a trapdoor hidden in the ring for his entrance but it was poorly designed and a serious trip hazard for other wrestlers? Or did he do that multiple times?

Does WWE still do house shows or when did they stop? Or when did they stop having the top cards show up? I remember watching a little Sunday Night Heat but it didn’t have my favorites or seem to impact the big storylines.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was multiple times during his wcw run and it nearly paralyzed davey boy smith when he was slammed on it

Hachi machi! I had thought WCW was slightly better about in-ring safety but maybe not

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh yeah that’s what I was thinking of, I believe the WCW book mentioned when Sting was lowered into the ring there was a slight delay to unhook both harnesses because why wouldn’t there be a backup safety?

Forgot about Goldberg and the car windows although they did give him a pipe to use.

Did we already have an effortpost about the WCW Power Plant? Was it just total garbage?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

The saga around the legal battle with Warrior's lawyer is what brought me to SA's frontpage.

Thank/gently caress you, Warrior!

It was an article about Carnosaur for me.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa I didn’t know WWE games mattered that much. Is that like the one aspect of the business that results in money going to retired talent? From all the sad go fund mes mentioned on wrestler Wikipedia pages had assumed Vince didn’t give anyone a penny once they left.

Interesting how Hogan had to be scrubbed, but is he back in good odor again because a prince offered a dumptruck of money for him to show up at Crown Jewel?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gavok posted:

I forgot where I read the story, but I remember somebody saying he and his family was having dinner with a family friend who was a retired wrestler (pretty sure it was Matt Borne, the first Doink) and he was talking up how great a payday it is when they make a new WWE game.

Huh interesting I wonder if contracts have been super refined to screw over talent but overlook how big games can be so sometimes proper pay slips through. I heard comedian Greg Proops mention that voicing the podracing announcer in Star Wars ep 1 was an ok movie payday, but getting called in to voice all the games was very good for him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Is it still accurate that non-top WWE talent has to pay their own airfare, zero time off, and have to file taxes in every state they wrestle as they are contractors? Also, is AEW better about that? Is the image of AEW not being as cruel accurate or are they still pretty bad?

Also what are the rough estimates for market share? Like does WWE have like 70%, AEW 20%, others 10%?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Are Hogan & Taker considered “ok” mentally? Wondering as Foley seems to be mostly ok but probably not 100%.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's a different kind of charm for sure. Vince is like a carny version of Nixon, just absolutely repugnant and you can't look at him, but in person somehow he's got this one on one likability thing despite how loving disgusting he is. It's hypnotism or something.

Dalton might be an rear end in a top hat, I don't know, but the camera loves him.

Nixon was a carny, he worked the wheel of fortune in Prescott, AZ in the 1920s.

Is Vince considered hard working? I mean i know of his weird behavior during meetings but is he consistently doing like 80 hours of real work a week way past the point when he’d need to?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Vandar posted:

The man is a legit hard worker. He sleeps like three to four hours a night at best and is working for the majority of his waking hours. He's never taken a vacation. He micromanages everything, and on top of all his wrestling work he's constantly tried to expand out into other businesses.

He's like a goddamn machine that has it's off button broken.

Climbing into the ring and tearing his quad and somehow no selling it to continue in character is something like what, 5% of athletes could do? Even baseball players who take a pitch off the elbow need a minute before jogging to first.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Are Attitude era JR & King considered an all time announcing duo? I don’t know a ton about other eras or promotions, watched a bit of WCW but their guys seemed dull.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

walking up to a very large man on steroids and telling him he's fake and i am shocked he slapped the poo poo out of me

Wonder if they get training on that nowadays. I remember a random woman jumping the railing to hug Mr. rear end as he walked in & he instantly broke character to raise his hands & go “no no not touching this person” until security swarmed her.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

refs were trained to beat the poo poo out of and subdue any fan that goes into the ring

Is that the standard in the NFL too? Sometimes hear about a player laying out a streaker, would make sense after that tennis stabbing not wanting to trust the intentions of random loons.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince tried his hardest to make dusty look stupid when dusty was in the WWE and it always failed because dusty was a very likeable person no matter what you made him wear

Vince’s desire to mock Dusty (Virgil Riley Runnels Jr.) extended to naming a jobber after him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

lol yeah, currently reading newer edition of Death of WCW so that was fresh in my mind. Fun to see updated info on what happened, and fortunate the authors excised at least one gay joke & a pointlessly cruel shot at Undertaker’s wife.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 9, 2024