Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Hollismason posted:

I thought this season was way better than the 1st season. I thought the animation was a lot better as well. Although curious if it'll get a season 3.

I'm pretty sure it's already been renewed for two more seasons, along with a season of their second campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lucas Archer posted:

I'm pretty sure it's already been renewed for two more seasons, along with a season of their second campaign.

And a right of first refusal for a movie.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

If the movie isn’t EXU Calamity I’ll be sad

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I agree but also I'm kind of pulling for Search for Grog/Search for Bob or maybe the de Rolo wedding special

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Pussy Quipped posted:

Darrington Brigade or bust.

(EXU Calamity would be freaking *amazing*, though I feel like it has enough content for a limited series run)

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
If not too spoilery, where does the season end? I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I was afraid they were going to rush the CC arc, so wondering how the pacing feels.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DaiJiaTeng posted:

If not too spoilery, where does the season end? I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I was afraid they were going to rush the CC arc, so wondering how the pacing feels.
To keep it vague, the season ends with Vox Machina learning they shouldn't assum that emring is as he seems (but with a relatively meaningless character swap)

ETA: I didn't mind the pacing, thought they hit it pretty well. More thoughts later.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 12, 2023

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

DaiJiaTeng posted:

They rearranged some things for better flow, specifically the Feywild plot happens before Umbrasyl so they could end the season on his death and the Raishan reveal. The pacing feels okay-ish. There's definitely a lot of stuff that's been cut that I wish hadn't been but that was kind of inevitable. Short of Amazon offering them 6 seasons and a movie straight out of the gate, they were always going to have to pare down the CC arc into its barest bones but everything left on the table has been done magnificently.

The main notes they have left to hit for the CC arc for next season are Ank'harel/Glintshore and the aftermath thereof, Draconia and Yenk vs Vorugal, possibly splitting the party to hit the fire plane for Pike's vestige and Fort Daxio at the same time, but tbh Fort Daxio is skippable, then the fight against Thordak, and then Raishan.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Campaign 1 is 447:39:45 of runtime. All of the Simpsons 247 hours of runtime as a point of comparison.

With that in mind, I think they're doing a good job of condensing things. There is of course stuff left on the cutting room floor that feels like a shame to exclude it but knowing they can't include it all, they've been doing a good job crafting a through line with the material

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

CuwiKhons posted:

The main notes they have left to hit for the CC arc for next season are Ank'harel/Glintshore and the aftermath thereof, Draconia and Yenk vs Vorugal, possibly splitting the party to hit the fire plane for Pike's vestige and Fort Daxio at the same time, but tbh Fort Daxio is skippable, then the fight against Thordak, and then Raishan.

do they even bother with Draconia considering all the baggage?

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Pattonesque posted:

Dragonborn are now covered by creative commons as of the new D&D license so they might still do it even if they drop the baggage by completely ignoring Orion's character

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I mean there's a white dragon there to kill but they might spend less time on the Ravinites.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Pattonesque posted:

I noticed they used the "tree on the side of cliff" gag from when they went to Draconia for Vasselheim instead, so maybe not

Probs doesn't help that "Dragonborn" are owned by DnD (although there are ways around it - like Dragonfolk or something)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Have we seen any Dragonborn type people in the show so far? I don’t remember any off the top of my head

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

I mean there's a white dragon there to kill but they might spend less time on the Ravinites.

I predict they'll find everything that was in the vorugal arc minus everything Draconia.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Pussy Quipped posted:

Have we seen any Dragonborn type people in the show so far? I don’t remember any off the top of my head

Krieg had a sexy poster of one that turned out to be a portal to his lair. There was also one you could just barely see in Allura's flashback of binding Thordak to the fire plane (I actually wondered at the time if it was a small nod to Tiberius, but I doubt it).

rocketrobot posted:

I predict they'll find everything that was in the vorugal arc minus everything Draconia.

They can definitely rearrange things to have poo poo like Vorugal vs Yenk in, I don't know, Fort Daxio or something. I don't need to see Draconia and they haven't mentioned it yet.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doesn't Orion have some rights to that stuff?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't Orion have some rights to that stuff?

Orion made a big deal about owning the copywrite for his character "Tiberous Stormwind" at the time but he doesn't own the concept of the "dragonborn race"

Him being all "ITS MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER! DO NOT STEAL!" is one of the main reasons he's purged from VM history and why he will never make an appearance in LoVM

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 13, 2023

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dragonstoned posted:

Orion made a big deal about owning the copywrite for his character "Tiberous Stormwind" at the time but he doesn't own the concept of the "dragonborn race"

Him being all "ITS MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER! DO NOT STEAL!" is one of the main reasons he's purged from VM history and why he will never make an appearance in LoVM

I've said it before but: the dude fumbled the bag to a degree that puts all other bag-fumblings to shame

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

I've said it before but: the dude fumbled the bag to a degree that puts all other bag-fumblings to shame

Yeah it really can't be stressed enough just how much he shot himself at the finish line.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Thanks for the overviews of the season. I'm sure I will get to it at some point.

I actually wonder if I would enjoy the animated series more without having watched the first campaign obsessively. Even if they do a great job of figuring out what to cut and what to use, there's always a part of me that is bummed when some great content has to be cut. Obviously that is inevtiable, but I think it just shows how many great moments there are in the campaign.

Dameius posted:

Yeah it really can't be stressed enough just how much he shot himself at the finish line.

Seriously. I mean everyone has got problems, but its honestly sad to see someone ruin themselves, burn all their bridges, and then ruin their relationships with their closest friends (reminds me of things I've seen happen first-hand). I guess it gives me some sympathy, and makes me hope that he got help and was able to make up for things he did. Hopefully he could at least do something to repair his friendships, even if he will never be a part of the franchise. People have done much worse and atoned/repaired old relationships. But, you know, alot of that depends on his ability to step up and admit to his faults. So who knows.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DaiJiaTeng posted:

I actually wonder if I would enjoy the animated series more without having watched the first campaign obsessively. Even if they do a great job of figuring out what to cut and what to use, there's always a part of me that is bummed when some great content has to be cut. Obviously that is inevtiable, but I think it just shows how many great moments there are in the campaign.

Anecdotal and all obviously, but I've only seen bits and pieces of the first campaign (and know roughly the major arcs involved) and my two housemates have been previously exposed to basically no CR stuff, and we're all having a blast with LoVM. I'm sure I'll have way more "aw but what about x?" moments when the Mighty Nein show rolls around.

I'm glad they're being made, though. They both have cool stories and characters, and the animated shows are easier to consume for some folks than hundreds of hours of dungeons & dragons sessions.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Personally I was completely unfamiliar with Critical Role before the Amazon show came out, but I've been having a good time watching the stream comparison clips and from there the highlights of the stream itself.

But drat, just looking at the length of a single CR episode completely deflates my interest in watching any of it unedited.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Yeah it works best if you're able to watch it on a second monitor while doing something else. I think all of it is available as a podcast but the audio quality is pretty bad on the early stuff and you lose out on a lot of the visual stuff like battle maps, player reactions and basically everything that Sam does.

That said it isn't a horrible way to catch up and I've listened to a bunch of the two first campaigns while at work, only checking YouTube for highlights if something significant was missing from only listening.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ninjahedgehog posted:

Personally I was completely unfamiliar with Critical Role before the Amazon show came out, but I've been having a good time watching the stream comparison clips and from there the highlights of the stream itself.

But drat, just looking at the length of a single CR episode completely deflates my interest in watching any of it unedited.

It's good background noise while doing other things. It's not for active watching.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
For anyone that hasn't seen it, I'd recommend watching Kaylie's original reveal.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Senjuro posted:

For anyone that hasn't seen it, I'd recommend watching Kaylie's original reveal.
Peak Sam bullshittery. Also worth watching for the "wait, is this really happening?" reactions from the others.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love how Sam slips from shitposting at the table to playing an actual character and then back again. And as a stark contrast to Orion's metagame habits is honestly the most likely out of the cast to shoot himself in the foot if it made sense in character.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
They haven't even started adapting Sam's greatest moments.
Spice
Mother's name
The letter
Tary
Flashcards
Matt: At what level? Sam: 9
Sam/Scanlan is the goddamn best. Even Liam and Laura agree.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 14, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Senjuro posted:

Matt: At what level? Sam: 9

This is the one that I hope they give enough context build up for in previous episodes so that people who haven't watched the stream can get just how god drat big of a deal it was. Like, just showing the actual as described events in character misses out so much of the impact.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Dameius posted:

This is the one that I hope they give enough context build up for in previous episodes so that people who haven't watched the stream can get just how god drat big of a deal it was. Like, just showing the actual as described events in character misses out so much of the impact.

What was this moment? Final boss fight?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
E: to help prevent anyone from accidentally following through on the link, you can get to it by going to YouTube and searching scanlan counterspell episode 114

Dameius fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 14, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
That's way too big of a spoiler to safely post in this thread.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Yeah, don't watch that. The non-spoiler version is that it's a mid fight emotional beat that they'll really need to earn. Like Grog finding his strength in his friends would have fallen flat without establishing him and Pike as best buddies. Only worse because the in campaign moment also draws on OOC relationships that campaign watchers would know of and were invested in beyond the IC fight.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I kind of thought the opening credits were just kind of spoiling that scene in plain sight. The sequence where they’re all desperate and battered that ends with Scanlan reaching out? I could be wrong, of course.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Senjuro posted:

My favorite part about this is that Sam wrote Scanlan's backstory as a full rip off of Eminem in nearly every aspect, from trauma involving his mom, not having a dad, being a musician who is discovered and promoted by another musician named Dr. Dr- and even just generally being kind of a shithead a lot of the time, and then in spite of his dedication to being an Eminem parody, when Matt introduced a character named Kaylie, he didn't suspect a single loving thing about her and was totally blindsided when it turned out she was his daughter. I'm pretty sure other cast members picked up on it faster than he did.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing about Scanlan/Kaylie in the show is them using Sam's OOC "I think I wouldn't have let it get that far." as a Scanlan line.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm happy that they got Umbrasyl, the Hope Devourer's butthole in. you think they're just going to cut to a reaction and then, nope!!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Maybe I missed it because I stopped halfway through (no particular reason), and just finished it but Who was the lady making a deal with the dragon? or am I not supposed to know yet?

vvv: okay thanks - I don't seem to remember her for some reason. I'll have to re-watch last season.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Maybe I missed it because I stopped halfway through (no particular reason), and just finished it but Who was the lady making a deal with the dragon? or am I not supposed to know yet?

She's the scientist from last season with the lopped off arm, who's back again for reasons (the reason is that she's evil). Ripley.