Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'd just like to let fritz know they should chill with trying to police what is or is not on-topic. I recall them being particularly quick on the draw to demand posters drop something in the COVID and China thread from recent memory.

Oh, also compliments to commieGIR, they have seriously chilled out in terms of probing people in a way I absolutely did not believe would happen after the last feedback thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MikeC posted:

Sounds more like you want a carte-blanche on more Whataboutism to poo poo up the China thread.

this isn't an ideological thing, I just think that threads generate better discussion when the subject is allowed to meander

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Alright, if you think it's appropriate in the China thread, sure, but I was more commenting on your moderation style in general, especially in how it differs from your more laid-back posting style

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
alright i was told to come here so let me state my beef

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a really basic trolling tactic that gives the abuser control of the thread. A non-sequitur comparison to something out of scope, coupled with misrepresentations (usually obvious ones) that shift blame and the scope of discussion to the other entity (usually the US). Because other people don't want to let the misrepresentation stand, they wind up shifting to address the misrepresentation. In this way, the abuser's lies control the scope of the thread.

MikeC posted:

This is just fake outrage. "Abuser" is the correct term to apply to Whataboutists

MikeC posted:

Oxford dictionary:

use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
"the judge abused his power by imposing the fines"

this is an INSANELY lovely weaponization and minimization of the terms abuse and abuser. there is ABSOLUTELY NOT a power disparity in online forums remotely analogous to the one present between abuser and victim, and to see it invoked this way is not just loving rude as hell, its also deeply offensive to victims of abuse!

like maybe its my own history with abuse, but this poo poo makes me see red.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 31, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Koos Group posted:

Since it's a dictionary definition Vox is allowed to use the term that way, and since he's so, erm, particular about things I don't even think he's intentionally using it to evoke what it does. But I do wish he would stop lol.

koos this is kind of a horseshit response

e:

Lib and let die posted:

'Abuse' is an extremely loaded term, and applying it to posts you disagree with on the internet is tantamount to calling speeding an 'abuse' of transit infrastructure - just because a usage of it technically conforms to the broad dictionary definition doesn't mean it's an appropriate term to deploy in every situation.

this sums up my objection to relying on the dictionary definition of terms. the colloquial definition of the term, especially when used in conjunction with 'abuser' is so loaded that to hide being the dictionary is a farce.

and i hate to do the whole "my belonging to an aggrieved group gives my argument extra weight" schtick but i have been a victim of abuse, and it seriously loving pisses me off to see people trivialize abuse like this.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 31, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MikeC posted:

Except the context is very clear if you actually read the thread instead of taking isolated posts. He's posting right after *yet another* bout of Whataboutism when Terminal Autism https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=661#post521093439 and Neurolimtal https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=661#post521098251 tried to say that censorship is just the same in 'murica cuz they use soft power to ensure all movies are pro war, pro cop, etc etc and that censorship is effectively the same. Yet again I had to sit there and type a response to prove the blatant lie that took longer to vet than the baseless claim. This is exactly the type of thread making GBS threads I have talked about before. Constantly posting low content bullshit in the hopes no one takes the time to disprove it. It is an obvious misuse of posting to deflect criticism of China in the China thread.

Smeef's point on Stink's options is spot on. It very much feels like their goal is to take any language that could be misconstrued as offensive and say 'WE GOT HIM BOYS' and start an even wider derail - all in the effort to punish their posting enemies and not engage on the topic at hand - because they can't really defend their positions or be bothered to see if the other person's reply is valid or not. I am well beyond the point of "charity" here. It is the same people, using the same tactics, week after week.

gently caress you rear end in a top hat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

gently caress you rear end in a top hat

to elaborate, i responded like this because i feel like i go the extra mile to post in good faith, and I can recall multiple cases where i break with the more overt pro-prc faction in the thread to be even-handed.

and then mikeC replied to my post explaining that I feel like using terms like abuser is hosed up and as a victim of abuse it pisses me the hell off to see such a real harmful thing reduced to points-scoring in internet debates with

quote:

Smeef's point on Stink's options is spot on. It very much feels like their goal is to take any language that could be misconstrued as offensive and say 'WE GOT HIM BOYS' and start an even wider derail - all in the effort to punish their posting enemies and not engage on the topic at hand - because they can't really defend their positions or be bothered to see if the other person's reply is valid or not. I am well beyond the point of "charity" here. It is the same people, using the same tactics, week after week.

and it turns out my efforts to be even-handed don't amount to poo poo. nope, when i voice a genuine objection to seeing abuse trivialized like this, its "punishing my posting enemies" rather than being genuine. thats hosed up and it pisses me in particular off