Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kirios posted:

I think the Rams are a better match-up for the Bengals. 49ers d-line would have dominated Burrow all game.
Uhh, I think Aaron is probably going to sack Burrow 3 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A.o.D. posted:

Doesn't mean the Bengals will lose.
I know? I was simply commenting that the Rams have a good DL too. SAS is so loving weird.

BlindSite posted:

Aaron Donald goes missing in big game a lot.
I sure hope so!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this is literally the best playoffs of my adult life and im 35
Agreed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It never works that way. You go into an off-season thinking "We only need to fix X and the team will be complete. A no weakness juggernaut." Then the season hits and FA losses, injuries, regressions, and ball bounce luck take their toll. Not to mention, the other teams get better too.
Other teams get better too, but the Bengals have all their draft capital (and yes they will be picking late because of going to the Super Bowl) but they have the third most cap space in the league next year. So for example, the Bucs this year suddenly had a bunch of injuries in the secondary which had them in a bad way, but unlike the Bucs (example), Steelers, Ravens (both good teams in their division), and other teams that usually make the Super Bowl, they have a ton of cap space.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The Bengals have had unreal injury luck while the rest of the AFC got decimated.
I'll give you this one - sorta. The Raiders and Titans were as healthy as they were all season and the Bengals beat them. Same for the Chiefs. They schemed to keep Henry in check while also stopping AJB and Julio from going off. They kept Tyreek from going off against them in two different games in one month. That is not nothing.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

They had a complete turn around of their defense based on a few JAG free agents turning in star caliber performances.
This is a horrible take. Trey Hendrickson, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, and Vonn Bell are not "JAGs". They are all starters that played well for their previous teams last year that left in FA or were cut, then joined the Bengals.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Then on top of that they had the good fortune of facing the Raiders and two QBs that played the worst games of their seasons against them. Credit to them for taking advantage but you can't count on all that happening again.
So the Bengals defense gets no credit for playing in a way that got those QBs to play poorly? The scheme the Bengals ran in the second half was really effective; it was different than what they did in the first half. So yeah maybe Mahomes played a bad second half, but saying "he played the worst game of the year" and ignoring the defensive adjustments the Bengals made is stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The best way to stay consistently relevant year in and year out is to have a QB so good that it covers up other weaknesses. I'm not yet convinced Burrow is that guy.
lmao you must not be watching the games or not looking up any statistics or something because Burrow is ridiculous. Like others have said, he is playing behind a *bottom 3* offensive line, at best. Yet he lead the league in Yards Per Attempt and Completion Percentage, which is insane. Do some research before you do handwaving about a team or QB not being able to compete in the future.

edit: like... he got sacked by the Titans 9 times in one game and his team still won. His line that game 28 of 37 for 348 yards and 1 int. Show me another QB that could do that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 31, 2022

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They had AJB, Julio, and Henry in the game. They were still down a few players that were on IR or whatever, but they were healthier than they had been since Henry got hurt. Like... they got the 1 seed because they played well without Henry, so you'd think with him back and both AJB and Julio on the field they could have done something with it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Henry was back, but he wasn't really back. Ya dig?
Oh well yeah, but he's still Derrick Henry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Henrickson is a great player they paid market rate to get who has still way out performed his contract. Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, and Vonn Bell are the definition of JAGs before they suited up for the Bengals this year. Awuzie has played like a top 5 corner and you cannot tell me anyone in the league thought he was capable of that.

I think y'all are underestimating two things. One, how excellent the Bengals WR Corp. Combined with Mixon that is an insanely deadly skill position group. Two, how good Matt Ryan was. Dude was an MVP and absolutely deserved to be. Most of his teams have been really competitive. He just wasn't a Manning or Brady type that turned bad rosters into playoff caliber teams.
I'm now convinced you're trolling so I'm going to drop it. Especially because you cherry picked one thing of the many questionable things about your post that I called out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 1, 2022