Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Unreal collapse from Mahomes. Wasn't even loving everything up. Just clearly had no desire to be playing football after the 1st half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Cause when I think of Bengals who were a big part of that win, I think the dude who dropped the game sealing gimme interception.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

wandler20 posted:

I'm happy for the Bengals. Long suffering fan bases deserve nice things.

And they didn't even sell their soul to the literal devil to have it.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

MJeff posted:

I dunno man, I know the AFC is gonna be a dog fight but if Cincy puts a line in front of Burrow, they're right there for a good long while.

Burrow reads to me like a Matt Ryan QB. Very good, can win it all with him, but surrounded by a stellar supporting cast who seem to be the ones making the phenomenal plays. Burrow does seem to have superior leadership skills, which shouldn't be discounted in a QB. I also have no faith in Zach Taylor. If I'm a Bengals fan the most exciting thing to me is how a squad of mostly JAGs became an incredibly solid defense. That speaks to excellent coaching on that side of the ball. If that holds they'll be a problem for years to come.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

No, Burrow is already a better player than Matt Ryan.

I'm making a slight downward adjustment because the general quality of NFL QBs has increased so much. On that sliding scale Derek Carr is like a Matt Schaub and Burrow is like a Ryan.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Gnoman posted:

The Bengals are in the Super Bowl with what just might be the worst offensive line in the league. Getting here at all speaks to incredible talent from the rest of the team, and if they can fix their O-line issues in the offseason they're going to be a real terror.

It never works that way. You go into an off-season thinking "We only need to fix X and the team will be complete. A no weakness juggernaut." Then the season hits and FA losses, injuries, regressions, and ball bounce luck take their toll. Not to mention, the other teams get better too. The Bengals have had unreal injury luck while the rest of the AFC got decimated. They had a complete turn around of their defense based on a few JAG free agents turning in star caliber performances. Then on top of that they had the good fortune of facing the Raiders and two QBs that played the worst games of their seasons against them. Credit to them for taking advantage but you can't count on all that happening again.

The best way to stay consistently relevant year in and year out is to have a QB so good that it covers up other weaknesses. I'm not yet convinced Burrow is that guy.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This entire assessment basically seems to come down to “he’s got a good enough arm but he can’t throw the ball through concrete.” It’s a nice quality to have in a QB but not nearly the most important.

In today's NFL having someone with physical gifts that turn likely negative plays into hugely positive plays is a tremendous advantage. It's advantage that the Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Ravens, Packers, Cardinals, and Seahawks all have. You don't need it to win, but it makes winning a lot easier.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is a horrible take. Trey Hendrickson, Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, and Vonn Bell are not "JAGs". They are all starters that played well for their previous teams last year that left in FA or were cut, then joined the Bengals.

Henrickson is a great player they paid market rate to get who has still way out performed his contract. Chidobe Awuzie, Mike Hilton, and Vonn Bell are the definition of JAGs before they suited up for the Bengals this year. Awuzie has played like a top 5 corner and you cannot tell me anyone in the league thought he was capable of that.

I think y'all are underestimating two things. One, how excellent the Bengals WR Corp. Combined with Mixon that is an insanely deadly skill position group. Two, how good Matt Ryan was. Dude was an MVP and absolutely deserved to be. Most of his teams have been really competitive. He just wasn't a Manning or Brady type that turned bad rosters into playoff caliber teams.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
DJ Reader is another guy playing way better than last year.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm now convinced you're trolling so I'm going to drop it. Especially because you cherry picked one thing of the many questionable things about your post that I called out.

It was the only one that seemed worth commenting on.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^^
Yep. It ruled.

DJ Reader is an excellent player and is playing to the same caliber he has for the past 4 years while healthy. This is just sour grapes.

What sour grapes? I'm saying the Bengals did a fantastic job putting that defense together and they did it way cheaper than you would expect for that kind of turnaround. I really think Hendricks is one of the few guys getting fair market value for his production. That's a good thing!

I've been raving for years about the sweetheart deal the Ravens signed Chuck Clark to and the Bengals are getting that level of production, or far better, out of similarly great contracts. It's a real coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

We should be discussing Tom Brady in every thread in TFF.

The old Jets/Jags TE? I thought he retired years ago.