Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
DVOA can't quantify the stupidity of Jimmy's last attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

At this point they’re incapable of changing. They think their model is reality and the real world is in error.

I mean, their description makes it very clear that they know his numbers are largely attributable to his receivers - half his production is off of a highlight play from deebo where garropolo did nothing but not gently caress it up. None of the four qbs had a very good day yesterday, and Garropolo was mostly pretty productive. Their model doesn't and can't account for things like how a lot of Jimmy's misses were essentially unforced errors that would have picked up big gains, while Stafford was getting roughed up a lot. Those descriptions seem to pretty accurately sum up the games to me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean this is correct but they aren’t very good at finding the best team either

yeah i don't know that dvoa is particularly impressive but the nfl season and playoffs are designed to increase randomness and season to season variability, not determine the best team. It's probably the most fun thing about the league.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Eric Weddle played every defensive snap for the Rams last night, I can't think of any other player that came out of a full year of retirement to play this much in the playoffs specifically.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DeimosRising posted:

I mean, their description makes it very clear that they know his numbers are largely attributable to his receivers - half his production is off of a highlight play from deebo where garropolo did nothing but not gently caress it up. None of the four qbs had a very good day yesterday, and Garropolo was mostly pretty productive. Their model doesn't and can't account for things like how a lot of Jimmy's misses were essentially unforced errors that would have picked up big gains, while Stafford was getting roughed up a lot. Those descriptions seem to pretty accurately sum up the games to me.

“He sucked and his receivers did all the work and he’s our best ranked QB of the week” is an accurate description of both the game and why their rankings are a joke.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

isnt the whole point of "advanced statistics" that it can account for all of the production being from the receivers and grade him for his contributions appropriately

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Defector deservedly ripped pretty hard into this:

https://twitter.com/giants/status/1488161425055006730?s=21

His banter matches the aesthetics:

https://twitter.com/bobbyskinner_/status/1488172821993902085?s=21

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alaois posted:

isnt the whole point of "advanced statistics" that it can account for all of the production being from the receivers and grade him for his contributions appropriately

Not a general stat like DVOA/DYAR. You could start looking at stats like air yards or cpoe and things like that to break it out, but going, oh this is all on the reciever would be... PFF grading.

DYAR is a grade of that QB with that offense vs the other team's defense. It gets given straight to the QB, because that's how the NFL works, and honestly, with a huge adjustment from the Rams D, barely putting Jimmy above Stafford... yeah I'm not surprised that happened. Because DVOA isn't gonna look at Jimmy in those last two 49ers drives and go... jesus gently caress man, get out of here.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wow, I'm about to get a very bad deal on a jacuuzi.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Not a general stat like DVOA/DYAR. You could start looking at stats like air yards or cpoe and things like that to break it out, but going, oh this is all on the reciever would be... PFF grading.

DYAR is a grade of that QB with that offense vs the other team's defense. It gets given straight to the QB, because that's how the NFL works, and honestly, with a huge adjustment from the Rams D, barely putting Jimmy above Stafford... yeah I'm not surprised that happened. Because DVOA isn't gonna look at Jimmy in those last two 49ers drives and go... jesus gently caress man, get out of here.

Yep. All four guys played fairly eh and Jimmy faced the best defense of the best of them

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
lmao the giants are so boned

Nodoze posted:

Yep. All four guys played fairly eh and Jimmy faced the best defense of the best of them

jimmys desperation heave which sealed the game as an int is a LOT more excusable than Mahomes throwing at a double covered receiver. totally unnecessary and stupid decision, yet no one seems to be finding fault with Mahomes.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 31, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Yeah, like here's what it looks like for the the entire playoffs, which looks... reasonable for all those games.

307 - Div. Mahomes
274 - Wild Allen
209 - Div. Stafford
190 - Wild Mahomes
136 - Wild Stafford
116 - Div. Allen
89 - Wild Burrow
79 - Conf. Jimmy G
73 - Conf. Stafford
58 - Wild Mac
57 - Wild Brady
42 - Conf. Burrow
26 - Wild Jimmy G
22 - Wild Roethlisberger
14 - Wild Carr
-4 - Conf. Mahomes
-13 - Div. Brady
-25 - Div. Rodgers
-26 - Div. Burrow
-42 - Div Jimmy G
-54 - Wild Dak
-84 - Div. Tannehill
-106 - Wild Hurts
-140 - Wild Kyler

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's weird that after like 6 decades of it not happening we get two consecutive years where a team played in their own stadium for the Super Bowl

Patricia moment

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Ammanas posted:

lmao the giants are so boned

jimmys desperation heave which sealed the game as an int is a LOT more excusable than Mahomes throwing at a double covered receiver. totally unnecessary and stupid decision, yet no one seems to be finding fault with Mahomes.

All four guys had a handful of whiffed/dropped INT's. Stafford threw what would have been an all time awful INT if Tartt held onto the ball

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

All four guys had a handful of whiffed/dropped INT's. Stafford threw what would have been an all time awful INT if Tartt held onto the ball

Burrow hit a Chiefs DB on a perfect sideline pass he just barely fell out of bounds

Also people will rag on Mahomes as time passes but in the heat of the moment, what Jimmy G did in those last two drives was so bad that he's gonna own the spotlight. Everyone knows Mahomes is better, Jimmy don't got those defenders (especially after Jeff Garcia deleted his twitter in shame).

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 31, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I dunno people are dragging Mahones, and rightfully so. He was terrible in the second half.

Jimmy just is unlucky in that his gently caress up happened last.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kalli posted:

Burrow hit a Chiefs DB on a perfect sideline pass he just barely fell out of bounds

Yeah and IIRC he had a few near misses too. Jalen Ramsey whiffed on one of Jimmys passes, Mahomes threw one that Apple, I think?, dropped and then immediately followed it up with the pass that actually got picked off.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I dunno people are dragging Mahones, and rightfully so. He was terrible in the second half.

Jimmy just is unlucky in that his gently caress up happened last.

Yeah, I just think we need time for people to see the all-22, because so far all we've got is the Bengals started dropping 8 with robbers and Mahomes fell apart... which is very loving weird.

As opposed to Jimmy G falling apart, which well...

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/80snewsscreens/status/1488002377361854466

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/SetTheEdgeYT/status/1488158125060341762?s=20&t=RPHfhdbVfvRXEff5xlB3og

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
is there a stat that shows garrapalos completion/int rate when rolling to his right because its gotta be really loving ugly. dude is a good but not great pocket passer but hes gotta be an all time terrible one on the run

as a soft niners fan i like garrapalo, he got some raw deals wrt injuries but you have to understand his limitations and work around those. i dont have strong opinions on resiging him although I understand both keeping him and not. i didnt see a lot of lance but what i saw didnt exactly inspire hope the team will be in the nfc championship with him as their qb, while the 49ers were pretty competitive with a healthy jimmy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mahomes is guilty of playing hero ball but it pays off for him a lot more than it fails. He's getting dragged today but it won them a superbowl two years ago.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ammanas posted:

is there a stat that shows garrapalos completion/int rate when rolling to his right because its gotta be really loving ugly. dude is a good but not great pocket passer but hes gotta be an all time terrible one on the run

as a soft niners fan i like garrapalo, he got some raw deals wrt injuries but you have to understand his limitations and work around those. i dont have strong opinions on resiging him although I understand both keeping him and not. i didnt see a lot of lance but what i saw didnt exactly inspire hope the team will be in the nfc championship with him as their qb, while the 49ers were pretty competitive with a healthy jimmy.

Nothing I can find quickly, but how does this look?

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/1305357938052259841

Ever see a man put himself through a washing machine?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Lance looked exactly like everyone thought he would though. He was never going to be ready to jump in day one and be a starter, he was always going to take at least a year before he was ready to step in as a pro. Those issues you mention with Jimmy G - like not having the arm to throw guys open and play those traditional routes is exactly why they drafted Lance - because he has that arm strength all the while being the guy they hope is smart enough to run the stuff Jimmy does well.

Lance had his moments in the preseason and when he jumped in this season - he also had some down moments where he double clutched passes and had some errant throws but there is a lot of good there already it'll all come down to whether or not he's in that place where he can take his licks as a starter and continue to develop because he is very much a confidence player.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jesus loving christ I just had a PTSD flashback.

You're hosed, Giants. You're loving hosed.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The best team wins the Super Bowl because that's how sports and competition work

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

I mean this feels like a pretty obvious joke on Daboll's part to me even if it was a bit awkward

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

MJeff posted:

Jesus loving christ I just had a PTSD flashback.

You're hosed, Giants. You're loving hosed.

well, hopefully this one isn't a rapist

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Are the AFC Champion Bengos .... elite?

I'll hang up and listen.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's weird that after like 6 decades of it not happening we get two consecutive years where a team played in their own stadium for the Super Bowl

Never gonna top last year for weirdness though given that the Buccs were a road team leading up to the SB and then a home team for it.

I also just realized that they probably have two weeks between the AFC/NFC Championship games and the SB because they need to get whatever factories are making Superbowl merchandise spun up. Yes theoretically it's to get the players some rest but eeeeeeh.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Febreeze posted:

I mean this feels like a pretty obvious joke on Daboll's part to me even if it was a bit awkward

I’m not sure what the joke is… his suit fitting like poo poo? The truck being comically oversized? The fact his shoe is untied?

E: or did you mean the press conference lateness comment?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Did... did the Giants think the problem with Joe Judge was that he wasn't meatheady enough??? :laffo:

Wow they're screwed

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Goon project: Let’s purchase a glove

https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1488248371672494087?s=21

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=108388

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Daboll has been next man up for a HC gig for like two years now. Why is everyone hitting the panic button because he was a little nervous on his first day and his suit wasn't perfect? I wouldn't give a poo poo if a coach rocked up on a razor scooter wearing a trash bag tied in the middle with a rope, if you can coach you can coach.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Daboll looks like 10 pounds of pudding in a 5 pound burlap sack

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

As a stats nerd, Swirley these people until they forget what a z-test is

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I do think that's a joke from Daboll that just didn't quite land. The beat reporters in Buffalo all loved Daboll and a couple went out of their way to talk about how kind and personable he was.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I said this in the coach thread but he does not have the face of a coach, he's going to be so bad.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Daboll has been next man up for a HC gig for like two years now. Why is everyone hitting the panic button because he was a little nervous on his first day and his suit wasn't perfect? I wouldn't give a poo poo if a coach rocked up on a razor scooter wearing a trash bag tied in the middle with a rope, if you can coach you can coach.

Who’s hitting panic buttons? I’m just laughing at the Giants’ idea of a hype video, although I can see how the presser comment might trigger Patricia/Garrett flashbacks in some particularly traumatized individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that presser moment really comes off as a dry joke to make considering everything I’ve heard about his personality.