Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

moralizing about individuals is also very important to my liberalism so i thank you

cool great lets talk about the history of the Japanese-American settler colonialists then, and why its problematic for J Sakai to never mention that in his book about the evils of settler colonialism he wrote so he could pretend to not be a settler colonialist.

like how the japanese americans were allowed to own land and controlled huge tracts of farmland in the west, often utilizing Chinese and hispanic workers as slaves in all but name, and the americans were perfectly cool with this because they considered the japanese, even then, to be white. they were moved into the internment camps from the homes, businesses and land that they were allowed to own while no other oppressed groups were.

CaptainACAB has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
This is a lot of anger at the Japanese for a dude with a Mega Man avatar.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

“On the West Coast the settler petit-bourgeoisie, primarily farming interests and small merchants, used settler chauvinism and the identification of the Japanese as members of a rival imperialist power to plunder and completely remove the Japanese population. Just as the Chinese had been robbed and driven out of mining, agriculture and industry in the 19th century West, so now Japanese would be driven out. As everyone knows, some 110,000 of us were forcibly ‘relocated’ into concentration camps by the US government in 1942.

“Settler rule had restricted and hemmed in Japanese labor into the national minority economy of specialized agriculture, wholesale and retail food distribution, and domestic labor (in 1940 these three categories accounted for 84% of all Japanese employment). But even this was too much for the settler petit-bourgeoisie on the West Coast.

“The Euro-Amerikans not only wanted the Japanese removed as competetors, but they wanted to take over and ‘annex’ the agricultural business so painstakingly built up by the Japanese farmers. The typical Japanese farm of the period was very small, averaging only 42 acres each (less than one-fifth the average size of Euro-Amerikan farms in California). But these intensively developed lands, in which comprised only 3.9% of California’s farmland, produced fully 42% of the State’s fresh fruits and vegetables. The settler farm lobby wanted our business, which was too valuable to be left to ‘Japs.’

“Austin E. Anson, representative of the Shipper-Grower Association of Salinas, told the public: ‘We’re charged with wanting to get rid of the Japs of selfish reason. We might as well be honest. We do.” Through their political influence, these interests got US Sen. Hiram Johnson to pull together the West Coast congressional delegation as a bloc and push through the concentration camp program.

“By military order, enforced by the US Army, the whole Japanese population was forced to leave or sell at give-away prices all we had- houses, land, businesses, cars, refrigerators, tools, furniture, etc. The Federal Reserve Bank loosely estimated the direct property loss alone at $400 million 1942 dollars. The real cost was in the many billions- and in lives. But it was no loss to settlers, who ended up with much of it. West Coast settlers had a festive time, celebrating the start of their war by greedily dividing up that 400 million in ‘Jap’ property. It was a gigantic garage sale held at gunpoint. This was just an early installment in settler prosperity from world war.

“For Hawaii, a US colony right in the middle of Asia, no such simple solution was possible. Early government discussions on removing and incarcerating the Japanese population quickly floundered. Over one-third of the working population there was Japanese, and without their labor the Islands’ economy might break down. The US Army said that: ‘…the labor shortage make it a matter of military necessity to keep the people of Japanese blood on the islands.’ Army and Navy officers proposed that the Japanese be kept at work there for the US Empire, but treated ‘as citizen of an occupied foreign country.’

“The patriotic Amerikan war spirit congealed itself into the usual racist forms. Chinese were encouraged to wear self-protective placards or buttons reading ‘I’m No Jap’ to avoid being lynched. The Koumintang-dominated Chinese communities were lauded by the settlers as now ‘good’ Asians. Life [Magazine] ran an article on ‘How To Tell Your Friends From The Japs’:…’the Chinese expression is likely to be more placid, kindly, open; the Japanese more positive, dogmatic, arrogant… Japanese walk stiffly erect…Chinese more relaxed, sometimes shuffle…’

“Of course, these imaginary difference only expressed the settler code wherein hostile or just victimized Asians were ‘bad,’ where as those they thought more submissive (who ‘shuffle’) were temporarily ‘good.” Every effort was made to whip up settler chauvinism and hatred (an easy task). The famous war indoctrination film ‘My Japan,’ produced by the Defense Department, opens to an actor portraying a Japanese soldier bayoneting a baby- with the commentary that all Japanese ‘like’ to kill babies. German fascist propaganda about the ‘racial crimes’ of the Jews was no more bizarre than Amerikan propaganda for its own war effort.” (Sakai 96)

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Probably Magic posted:

This is a lot of anger at the Japanese for a dude with a Mega Man avatar.

unlike j sakai, who is a settler colonialist, i am actually consistent in my critiques of settler colonialism.

lmao j sakai goes to such lengths to avoid correctly identifying the japanese as settler colonialists that he is willing to attack the chinese to do it.

if he had any capacity for introspection or understanding of history he would realize how problematic this is but he does not and is just an ethnic nationalist masquerading as a leftist lmao.

also love his off handed defense of imperial japan, great, cool, awesome.

CaptainACAB has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Feb 3, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Personally I think actively denying something like that which is widely known just makes you look like a fool.

"Amerika was "spacious" and "sparsely populated" only because the European invaders destroyed whole civilizations and killed off millions of Native Amerikans to get the land and profits they wanted. "

This is just not true.

mods plz rename me "native amerikkkan"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is CaptainACAB a Mongol veteran of the disastrous Tsushima campaigns?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Weka posted:

Personally I think actively denying something like that which is widely known just makes you look like a fool.

"Amerika was "spacious" and "sparsely populated" only because the European invaders destroyed whole civilizations and killed off millions of Native Amerikans to get the land and profits they wanted. "

This is just not true.
it is true, european settlers in the US did not simply wait for disease to do the dirty work

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

CaptainACAB posted:

unlike j sakai, who is a settler colonialist, i am actually consistent in my critiques of settler colonialism.

lmao j sakai goes to such lengths to avoid correctly identifying the japanese as settler colonialists that he is willing to attack the chinese to do it.

if he had any capacity for introspection or understanding of history he would realize how problematic this is but he does not and is just an ethnic nationalist masquerading as a leftist lmao.

also love his off handed defense of imperial japan, great, cool, awesome.

So are all american immigrants settler colonialists in the same way white settlers are/were?

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Kindest Forums User posted:

So are all american immigrants settler colonialists in the same way white settlers are/were?

I mean they immigrated without consent of the native american ethnic nations, so, yes??

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Okay I guess everybody except native Americans going to devote a paragraph in their book about being a settler colonialist and that they're just as bad as the white man. The end

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It's kinda bitchin' to have a dude who talks about the Japanese the way GBS talks about the Chinese, but I could also see the gimmick getting stale the more I see of it. Who can say.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Okay I guess everybody except native Americans going to devote a paragraph in their book about being a settler colonialist and that they're just as bad as the white man. The end

look if we don't wokely buck break immigrants of color into american-style performative identity politics, they'll just say whatever the hell they like

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

No because J Sakais entire premise is wrong I was simply using his own logic to attack his arguments in order to demonstrate how dumb and self defeating they are.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
However by literally any sane definition the Japanese are settler colonialists yes, and not just the Japanese Americans.

The imperial Japanese J Sakai offhandedly not just defended but attacked America for their depiction of the IJA doing things they actually did, were also some of the worst and most brutal settlers in history. J Sakai either does not know this, which is would be somewhat understandable given as Americans are not educated on it for reasons I've already mentioned, or he does and doesn't care because he's an ethnic nationalist poorly masquerading as a leftist.

CaptainACAB has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Feb 3, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The real people colonized were the residents of hokkaido that the nippon colonized.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The real people colonized were the residents of hokkaido that the nippon colonized.

Nah that would be the entire continent of people the Japanese enslaved and brutally slaughtered in ways so horrendous even the Nazis thought it to be excessive for decades and still to this day censor the topic. J Sakais only mention of this is to attack America for the mere depiction of it.

J Sakai is so desperate that he uses the entirely justified grievances the Chinese who were being literally butchered with IJA issue katanas and the soldiers being given cash prizes for it as an example of how oppressed the Japanese are.

He's an ethnic nationalist poorly masquerading as a leftist hth.

CaptainACAB has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Feb 3, 2022

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

CaptainACAB posted:

Chinese who were being literally butchered with IJA issue katanas

wait for real they were using straight-up katanas?

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

Sometimes yes. They weren't too picky as long as they were killing Chinese but there is at least one specific example of the IJA holding a contest to see who could take the most Chinese heads with their shin gunto, and paid the winner a cash prize.

He was photographed standing on a pile of Chinese corpses with a severed head in one hand, a katana in the other and a smile on his face, which was run in the front page of the army newspaper.

Which hmm yes Mr Sakai I wonder why the Chinese might be a little pissed off.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

CaptainACAB posted:

Sometimes yes. They weren't too picky as long as they were killing Chinese but there is at least one specific example of the IJA holding a contest to see who could take the most Chinese heads with their shin gunto, and paid the winner a cash prize.

He was photographed standing on a pile of Chinese corpses with a severed head in one hand, a katana in the other and a smile on his face, which was run in the front page of the army newspaper.

Which hmm yes Mr Sakai I wonder why the Chinese might be a little pissed off.

i don't have anything to say about this that isn't bannable so i'm just going to say that's a horrible war crime that makes me very sad

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i don't have anything to say about this that isn't bannable so i'm just going to say that's a horrible war crime that makes me very sad

No one responsible was ever punished for that or one of the literal millions of other war crimes the IJA carried out virtually everywhere they went.

A few IJA officers were hanged for their crimes against American soldiers but most were not.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

...so wait, what's the lesson Settlers aims to impart that isn't better stated in A People's History or How The Irish Became White or other takes that break down things using a materialist lens instead of "MAN gently caress WHITE PEOPLE, AMIRITE?"

I just don't get the insight Settlers is supposed to be providing, especially if someone is going in without any other context

and I say materialism insofar as my idiot laymen's understanding of it as:

• people who have no/insufficient basic needs met [just talking at least decent food, shelter, and a sense of not being assaulted day to day, not mazlow's bullshit] will be more easily forced into conflict/class traitorism whether they realize it or not as you can effectively bribe them with meeting those needs, when they would otherwise be met without that coercion if society was restructured
  • those that already have those needs met, but lack the ability to provide and safeguard meeting those needs on their own/are not in the capitalist class and thus at the whim of capitalists, can also be coerced into becoming traitors on threat of *removing* what meets their needs, whether that threat justification is redchud racism (THEY TAKE YOUR JOBS AND MONEY) or bluechud word salad to hide their racism/general babybrains (WE HAVE TO MEANS TEST THE LAST $600/WE'RE JUST CAPITALISTS, HONEY)
  • the accumulation (theft) of resources (surplus value extracted from labor) in private hands is used to perpetuate and solidify that hierarchy (using whatever justification) instead of creating real value for the people in general is why you cannot allow mass wealth accumulation in the private realm as we have seen for centuries that the capital class insists on retaining control even when it hurts them in the long run since the actors involved feel/are insulted from the consequences of their actions, and they will do so at the expense of meeting literally millions of people's needs or outright killing them
  • by providing basic needs without coercion, we can make use of our collective creativity for both aesthetic pleasure but more importantly for an objective reaction to the environment around us to live in harmony/sustainability for ourselves and future generations, rather than asserting a dominance that by definition cannot be sustained because a planet has a lot more durability than a bunch of chuds uniting in their love of oil and racism and sucking off the wealthy so their own chuddy children have shittier lives

I mean that's not even fully correct/fleshed out but if the goal isn't to get people to broadly understand that there IS in fact an objective reality around them, and they have to take pains to understand that and collectively deal with it to improve humanity, and capitalism stands in direct obstacle to that path forward because more profit rarely correlates with the objectively correct path forward (again assuming a goal of "a better society/planet for humanity" vs the goal of "number go up!!") what the gently caress is the point of doing anything other than just being the best capitalist/capitalist's bitch you can be?

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

hell yeah the IJA were really innovative in being both stylistic as gently caress and also insanely brutal, not in a cool Metalocalypse way but in a "hitler would be proud" shameful way, like testing out turning people into plague bombs to launch at the perfidious Chinese, down to taking starving prisoners -> nursing them back to full health -> injecting the plague (I say plague but I forget the exact disease)

lions led by donkeys did an episode about it, it's uh... well like most of their episodes, it's not feel-good, just laughing to stay sane, and also makes me wonder about certain aspects of Full Metal Alchemist

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
where’s the link to that person going sicko mode on that charnel house review of settlers

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
anyone who spells America with a k outside of shitposting contexts is a massive and pretentious tool. And I say this as an Amerikkkan.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that's just 70s maoist talk

you don't have to care what the kkkourt of public opinion manipulated by the rockafellas in the di$-united $nakke$ have to say

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Tempora Mutantur posted:

...so wait, what's the lesson Settlers aims to impart that isn't better stated in A People's History or How The Irish Became White or other takes that break down things using a materialist lens instead of "MAN gently caress WHITE PEOPLE, AMIRITE?"
it's been roughly a decade since i read zinn but from what i remember his purpose was to inspire readers that another world is possible. (as he says in the introduction, he seeks inspiration in moments of compassion rather than centuries of war.) in service of that goal, he tells a story that understates the cultural force of white supremacy. he offers heroes with whom white readers can identify themselves and thereby avoid analysis of their own social role

critiques of settler colonialism routinely face objections that they are not politically pragmatic, that progressive politics must "offer something" to white Americans. but a political program that "offers something" to a demographic that statistically and structurally have it already, loses its progressive character.

Gazpacho has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Feb 4, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

I wonder how first world leftists are supposed to gain power while promising to decrease peoples’ living standards.

revolutions don't occur because someone campaigned on a platform

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

revolutions don't occur because someone campaigned on a platform

How are you supposed to convince people to die for your cause if your success will make their lives worse? :psyduck:

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

How are you supposed to convince people to die for your cause if your success will make their lives worse? :psyduck:

its the age old question isnt it, how do you convince someone to believe something when their paycheck depends on not believing it

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Saying its about paychecks isn't doing the concept justice. If hospitals in the west had given their ventilators to the global south during covid. It would have resulted in fewer deaths in the south, but more deaths in the West. If you cut back on A/C and heating, people will have to see themselves and their loved ones suffer.

Part of what makes socialism distinct from starry-eyed utopianism; is an actual actionable idea of how to go about the business of conducting revolution. Some of the theory that covers this was written by successful revolutionaries. From the excerpts that have been posted in this thread, it seems like Settlers takes the view that a socialist revolution led by a section of the Western proletariat isn't just incomplete, but is an actively harmful thing to pursue. You're telling me there isn't an alternative path; and I'm guessing that if the book mentioned one you would bring it up. Honestly, I'm highly suspicious of arguments that end with "and that's why you shouldn't do social revolution" with no other actionable alternative.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

its the age old question isnt it, how do you convince someone to believe something when their paycheck depends on not believing it

I refuse to believe you’re this dumb

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Weka posted:

This is just not true.

Gazpacho posted:

it is true, european settlers in the US did not simply wait for disease to do the dirty work

It's been a while since I read 1491 and I have no idea if it's considered up to date but iirc the smallpox and influenza brought by the Spanish to the Caribbean had already decimated continental North America (possibly up to 90%) by the time European settlers started arriving in meaningful numbers a century later. The settlers were only able to get a toehold in the first place because the Native American societies had been so drastically weakened by the plague.

of course nobody's arguing that the settlers then didn't enthusiastically genocide the remaining 10% of the population

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Id love to read it, but the shipping time from Langley to my house is outrageous.

I’ll probably read some other CIA psyop that’s ahistorical and race-essentialist, like any good Anglo “””socialist””” I want an excuse as to why It’s Good Not to Achieve Anything.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

MLSM posted:

And here is why Settlers is a trash book

Exactly. Beyond that there are no interviews in person with “mr. Sakai” if Grover Furr can show his face so can this person who totally is writing with a reason of proletariat power and not to intentionally cause discord. No moralizing here just realizing it’s all very convenient.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Feb 4, 2022

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PawParole posted:

Id love to read it, but the shipping time from Langley to my house is outrageous.

I’ll probably read some other CIA psyop that’s ahistorical and race-essentialist, like any good Anglo “””socialist””” I want an excuse as to why It’s Good Not to Achieve Anything.

You could just watch Vaush.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
i don't care if my life is worse i just want revenge on the corporations that censored me online and marxism is just a convenient vehicle for my own deeply personal agenda

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I feel like there was a better J. Psaki joke than the one already made. needs some workshopping

CANON
Jun 7, 2007

PawParole posted:

I was wondering how long till someone called Sakai a spook and the thread does not disappoint

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Call me a Bolshevik because I'm eliminating the whites.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Settlers? what's it about, goons' wives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Tempora Mutantur posted:

It doesn't.

Insofar as it was initially an in-group document passed around between people who already agreed with one another, it was fine for group cohesion and blowing off steam. In terms of actual revolutionary action, though? No chance.

I have never understood how positioning the white working class on the side of the bourgeois and upper classes would result in any sort of positive change, when there aren't overwhelming numbers on Sakai's side such that the loss of the white working class wouldn't demographically matter.

Basically, take this meme, but instead have it be the black guy telling the white worker "I'm going to take your cookie, and you deserve to have your cookie taken because you're just as bad as the rich guy"