Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Don't let the libs try do divide the proletariat with idpol.

you step on a soft patch of earth and are immediately swallowed up by a sandworm, the sandworm representing neoliberal identity politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the japanese communist party, whatever you say about them being social democrats or whatever, plays a role in society there while party organizations in the west scattered like a flock of birds.

it's hard to exercise or even find discipline when everyone wants to scatter at the first moment

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

skipmyseashells posted:

can’t wait for another barely hidden rage reply tomorrow since you already killed the thread from anything meaningful

it's a real shame, since diving into the flimsier parts of the book and his arguments in general makes for great discussion

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm a good bit busy with things on my end, but I will cite this second paragraph, as it does lead to a few questions I'd like to follow up on:

quote:

Yet the labor bureaucracy was not immortal, and we in the united $tates have seen a great decline in both union membership and in the excessive privilege of this bureaucratic layer. That is not to say they have become irrelevant, but certainly their political leadership of the now organic labor aristocracy has reached an impressive low. The workers, in fact, traded the supremacy of this bureaucratic layer for even more short-term benefits, due in part to the reality that the labor aristocracy had outgrown its political representation, and with such a “gracious” ruling class, the direct leadership of bureaucratic structures seemed to hamper, rather than expand their own sovereign interests. This short-sightedness has, more than likely, doomed them in the long-term, as they have no unitary political structure with which to fight the digestion of their gains.

specifically, when he refers to "short-sightedness", what exactly is he referring to, historically? what is this reality that he refers to in which union bosses and the heads in the rank and file decide they decide to blow up their own structures? I don't exactly think of the Teamsters as a global union, so I'm very confused as to that. as to "short-sightedness", is he referring to the erosion of union authority as a nebulous thing rather than something eroded by direct government interference?

do agree with last part, though, as without any sort of discipline, it does swallow you up, nebulous as it is right now