Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Newest Episode (02/21/2022):
Episode VI: Out of Phase

"You HAVE the ability to EVOLVE! Why take the side of a DOOMED species?!" - 2022 Sane People Mitochondria Eve.

What is Parasite Eve?

Parasite Eve is a JRPG released in 1998 in North America for the Sony PlayStation by Squaresoft back in the halcyon days where Square put out 8-10 wildly different and also incredibly similar games a year giving no fucks before they had this disastrous idea to put out a CGI movie and hosed up so bad they merged with Enix and put out Drakengard as their first merger title. Parasite Eve, much like Xenogears, was an early pitch for Final Fantasy VII that got flung out into its own thing. Hell, it came out a month and a half after Xenogears. And a year after Final Fantasy VII and a year before Final Fantasy VIII. It was a wild time.

This is technically a licensed sequel to a Japanese novel of the same name written by Hideaki Sena in 1995. This is why when we got to the third title of the series, The 3rd Birthday, in 2010 on the PSP, of which you can see my previous misadventures with here in better days. And it was named "The 3rd Birthday" because Square-Enix no longer had the Parasite Eve license name.

You don't need to worry about that one. In fact, there is only pain there. We're going back to the origin of this series. It's significantly better and significantly less horny incarnation. Umm... mostly. Tetsuya Nomura was the character and creature designer for this game and he is loving HORNY ON MAIN with his concept art! But we'll get to that later. Sorry for the delay in starting up again. I had health issues. Then family issues. Then two blizzards in a row. I started this LP going to my house in sub-zero weather the end of January. The high tomorrow is 2C! Heat wave!

What is a mitochondria?

The powerhouse of the cell.

Which region has the best pizza?

New York City, baby! I will fight you in single combat on this! Get that Chicago soup lasagna pizza in a dress poo poo the gently caress outta here!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Day 1 - Resonance

Episode I: Primal Eyes
Episode II: Influence of the Deep
Episode III: Arise Within You
Episode IV: Sotto Voce
Episode V: The Shape of Water

Day 2 - Fusion

Episode VI: Out of Phase

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 22, 2022

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode I: Primal Eyes

Welcome to 1998. Perhaps the most stacked loving year of video games ever. Parasite Eve was released on March 29th of 1998. Xenogears just came out from the same company a month and a half earlier in early February. They also put out Bushido Blade 2 the week after that. And the very worst port of Final Fantasy V for the PSX the week after that. In the year following Parasite Eve's release Square would go on to put out Brave Fencer Musashi, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, Chocobo Racing, Final Fantasy VIII, and most importantly of all... Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring. You can hear it right now. That menu select tone in Ehrgeiz. You are tainted. The sin will never leave your soul.

By the end of March of 1998 also released was Marvel vs. Capcom, Resident Evil 2, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins, Wario Land 2, Descent: Freespace, Tekken 3 and the landmark title Gex: Enter the Gecko. Also Starcraft came out two days later to close out March. Also Blasto. Everyone's favorite title! That's just March of 1998! Just loving March! Do you know what the rest of the year had? Unreal 1, Radiant Silvergun, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Banjo-Kazooie, Street Fighter Alpha 3, F-Zero X, Star Ocean 2, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, Metal Gear Solid, Spyro the Dragon, Suikoden 2, MediEvil, NFL Blitz (remember when there were multiple NFL series?), Turok 2, Grim Fandango, Fallout 2, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Thief: The Dark Project, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Mario Party and Nintendo's hatred of friendships, StarCraft: Brood War (really that expansion came out the same year?), Baldur's Gate, Myth 2: Soulblighter and closing out the year on a bang... Akuji the Heartless!

loving legendary year of video games, no doubt. But today, we're going to focus on one particular game. One which Square dubbed "The Cinematic RPG" — Parasite Eve.

NEW Music: Waiting for Something to Awaken
(This is the only time this plays. Good mood setter.)

As a departure from almost every JRPG of the time, Parasite Eve takes place in the real world of Manhattan, New York City, NY. And no more iconic a sight than Lady Liberty herself and the Twin Towers. At least... in 1997 when the game is set. Something a few years later might have spoiled that vista. I forget what. Well, that and in order to get the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center in the same shot, you'd have to have a view of the back of the statue's head and its armpit. It is in no way oriented in a way where this shot could exist. But, again it's a Cinematic RPG so we'll take some liberties.

We have other highlights such as the Manhattan Bridge.

David Xanatos' Eyrie Building where the Gargoyles were resurrected.

The Rockefeller Center ice rink where the possessed body of Aya Brea was used by her cloned sister to fight a time lord Twisted mutation federal agent mastermind Hyde Bohr in a time-compressed realm whe—OH CHRIST, NO! We cannot go back to the future of the series. Things are still good! We're good!

Anyway, welcome to our setting of Christmas Eve 1997. We're going to be having a hell of a lead into the coming 1998. It still won't be as bad as the last few years of the timeline when this LP is being written.

Welcome to 881 7th Ave of Midtown Manhattan — Carnegie Hall. This game was very neat to me as, well, a high schooler when this was released being a New Yorker and living in the city a number of formative years of my childhood. I've been to Manhattan a bunch and have visited literally every major location in this game. Since, other than some generic bits, it's mostly real-life locations. I went to a concert for a work-related event at Carnegie Hall for a security job some 12 years ago. I made a joke that this should be an easy gig as long as nobody spontaneously combusts. I got an odd look from the coworker. Philistine!

Music: ENDS

A limo pulls up to Carnegie Hall and a nicely dressed woman who has clearly been watching Friends and is going for a blonder Jennifer Aniston is helped out of the car by Formal Wear Ken Doll™.

The woman looks around and looks dejected.

Here is our protagonist — Aya Brea. Unfortunately, she is a cop. She's one of the least lovely cops in a video game but... still a cop. We'll just have to grit our teeth. Also, happy The 50th Birthday this year, Aya.

We are allowed to rename Aya Brea. We are not going to do that. Brea is pronounced Bray-uh. I always thought it was something like "Bree" back when I played it. But none of the JRPGs that were text only had the correct pronunciation when they started getting vocalized in modern-day. Teefa? Youfee? Teedus? That was Tiffa, Yahfee, Teydus. poo poo is whack.

Ehhh...
I even had my dad get the best seats for us tonight! So lighten up! We're gonna have a great time! You'll see!
Didn't you enjoy that limousine ride my dad got me? And this snazzy suit my dad bought me! My dad really made me go all out tonight!
Ehhh... Sure. I wanted to go to the rock opera... as in the Rocky Horror Picture Show they were doing in Soho but... this is... fine... I guess... too...
You'll love this too! It's even better!
<rubs eyes> Sure...

C'mon, we'd better go inside.

In Square JRPG tradition we now get to play the game for all of 20 seconds to walk a corridor between cutscenes. There is a thing to be noted. Aya Brea in Parasite Eve has the single slowest walk cycle of any character in a game I have ever played. And her run is about the speed of an average walk in most video games. You may believe initially that this is due to her being in a fashionable formal dress and wearing a heavy coat. NO! It is absolutely not! Aya Brea's stride speeds are meander and mosey. Aya Brea is a person that takes two minutes to get off her couch, walk to the refrigerator to grab a drink, and walk back to the couch. The couch is ten meters away from the fridge.

Already…?!
Why did you pick me up so late?!
I was being fashionably late! <finger guns>
<deep sigh> Mhm.
<motions to door> Please… Ladies first. M'lady!
<deep sigh>

NEW Music: Overture
(This is the only time it plays.)

Sadly, we are not going to get legitimate theater for this New Year's Eve date. Doctor Zaius' Overture nor You Finally Made a Monkey Out of Me will be on display tonight.

The Prince dramatically bows before the King.

You know well what will happen if you do! Those who succumb to her beauty ALL die in horrible ways!
<rises to his feet> You don't understand!

Slinks up to Eva and poses behind her back.

SHE is the one that has suffered after the deaths.
<dramatically motions with staff and points> SHE is EVIL! Guard! Grab HER! And… BURN her at the stake!

The guard steps forward but the Prince is having none of this.

If you are sentencing her to death…

The prince kneels.

Then I ask you to take my life along with hers…

<helps the Prince to his feet> Edward...
<begins singing>

NEW Music: Se il mio Amore Sta Vincino
(Also the only time it plays.)

Lips worked differently in 1997. Breast physics have not improved.

You ever just see someone out in a crowd of people that catches your eye and you're just like drat, girl... You are so fine...

What if I just abandoned my humanity. It's a gambit, for sure. But you've got to respect the game.

Anyhow, the Price and King of the Se il mio Amore Sta Vincino opera just spontaneously combust. You came into this thinking it was going to be a bootleg Romeo and Juliet Drama of an opera but it takes a loving hard left turn in the third act.

It even has audience participation with the Prince doing a Stage Dive. Unfortunately, the show printings failed to acknowledge this in the brochure and there was a miscommunication with the front row crowd.

It was also unfortunate the guard was meant to exit stage left after he was pushed away by the prince and completely flubbed his cues leading to technical difficulties.

Aya Brea having a much better time at the opera than she was anticipating.

In other news, early reviews are coming from the opening night at the Carnegie Hall production of Se il mio Amore Sta Vincino.

"A blazing success!"

"People are fleeing to the ticket booths in droves!"

"Lead Actress Melissa Pearce is setting the opera scene on fire."

"People are falling out of their seats to see this performance!"

"Startling production!"

"A show to die for!"

"The audience was on the edge of their seats."

"It's burning up all records! Come see come see Se il mio Amore Sta Vincino, now playing at Carnegie Hall starting December 24th, 1997."

Music: ENDS

Jesus!! I… don't wanna…! Oh my god…!! I… I…
Go! Get outta here!! NOW!!
B-b-but... My dad got us dinner at...
DATE! OVER!

lovely Date Night at the Opera has ended. But Parasite Eve has begun. Stay tuned.

Aya Brea Concept Art - Despite the leggy dress, in-game Aya Brea is very not sexualized at all. Early warning: Nobody told Tetsuya Nomura that and he is horny on main loving creepily in a lot of Aya's concept art.

Video: Parasite Eve Opening
(Some spoilers but worth watching.)

Video: Episode 1 Highlight Reel
(You should definitely watch this.)

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 2, 2022

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
Oh hell yes ground floor of an amazing LP.

Nonesuch00
Oct 29, 2011
Heck yeah. Welcome back, and with a banger of a game to boot.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Glad you're back. Now the OST is in my head.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Glad to be on the ground floor for this one, looking to be a good time!

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020
Hell yeah! Dark id starts a new LP! by the way I was playing dragon quest 11 when this update came out and god it's like night and day on the music quality.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Hell yeah :toot: This is going to be a good time.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That actress was passionate in her role, I'd give it a solid accolade.

Right on the ground floor here too, and the fun times are looming ominously.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Nice, been waiting for this one to start. Should be a good ride like usual.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The king returns.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
We're back, and with a great RPG to boot.

I'll say one thing. Awful as the models are, they convey the creepiness and terror of the situation really well.

Probably in spite of itself but still

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Welcome back, Id. This game consumed my freshman year.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ayyyyy, nice to see you back! And what a game to come back with!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
TDI is doing Parasite Eve!?!?!? *squeals like a little girl in joy*

Er... I mean, I shall observe this how this amazing and respectable person of fine culture examines this fine and respectable game of fine culture. It even starts with an opera!

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
It's good to see you back, Id. I'm excited for this LP ("not bursting into flame" excited, but...).

Also, the Gargoyles reference is appreciated.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Good to see Dark Id is back. I must of played through this games like 4 or 5 times through the years.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ohh, this should be fun!

Ay-uh.... Bray-uh? No, no this will not do. She will continue to be Aya Bree in my mind, thanks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh hell yeah, this is gonna be gooood! :munch:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
This game is a ride and it's been a long time since I've seen it. Glad to be on the ground floor for a Dark Id LP!

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Glad you're back, Id! I'm excited to see your take on an actually good entry in the PE franchise.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Some opera snob still probably found that performance lukewarm at best.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

God this game's a fuckin trip
It's a real shame they never made any sequels

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I've got fond memories of this game. Excited to revisit them, for sure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Aw hell yes, motherfucking Parasite Eve!

Loved the poo poo out of this game back in the day, and I'm always down to see an LP of it. Especially if it's the Dark Id taking us on this wild ride.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I love Chicago style and I will stand my ground that it is good as gently caress.

Also hell yeah a good Parasite Eve game.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"All right, I think that actress up there has something to do with this poo poo..."

This was the first PlayStation game I ever bought, and I'm looking forward to this!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Back when I was in fourth grade I moved to a new town and got invited to a birthday party. Up until that point I had only played Nintendo and SNES, and had absolutely no conception of consoles more advanced than that. We wound up playing Parasite Eve, which had just been released, and I was blown away by the REALISTIC GRAPHICS. This weird-rear end game was amazing.

I even painstakingly recorded the OST on a cassette tape that I'd listen to while mowing.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Oh HELL yes. One of my favorite games from the PS1 and of all time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, cool, Parasite Eve. Are you planning on talking about the original novel at all? Not that you really need any knowledge of that to enjoy the game.

Cyalpha08
Sep 2, 2011

The Great Derp Boy
Aya's date is never seen again. Just shoulder checked right out of the game and presumed dead. Its for the best. Aya deserves better than that guy, And the third game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Man this gave me weird "Dark Id..... Aya.... Brea?" deja vu and only the Third Birthday joke snapped me back to reality. I really did erase that whole game from my mind.

I actually remember this and the second one reasonably fondly from back when they were recent. We'll see how awfully this aged.

Cyalpha08 posted:

Aya's date is never seen again. Just shoulder checked right out of the game and presumed dead. Its for the best.

You gotta stay cool on first dates. :haw:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cyalpha08 posted:

Aya's date is never seen again. Just shoulder checked right out of the game and presumed dead. Its for the best. Aya deserves better than that guy, And the third game.

Which is weird, because he's one of only three people aside from Aya and Melissa who somehow DIDN'T spontaneously combust at Carnegie Hall. The man is a living miracle and Aya just doofs him out of existence.

Anyways, Parasite Eve was like the second RPG I ever played after Final Fantasy VII, so this game is part of some mythical nostalgia holy trinity for me alongside Xenogears so I'm stoked to see it get the Dark Id treatment. This was such an incredibly formative game for me way back when. Sucks that it got sequels, but Sqaure's gonna Square, what are you gonna do?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I swear to Christ the only reason Aya moves like a cement shopping cart is purely to up the fear factor of the final chase sequence at the end of the game, but we'll get to that in due time I suppose.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I never actually tried Parasite Eve for myself. I was a wimpy ten year old when I watched my cousin playing it (along with Resident Evil 2), so I guess both games stuck in my head as way too scary. I blame the scene we just saw, plus one that's coming up.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 1, 2022

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

Cyalpha08 posted:

He actually fell into a dimensional portal that existed for just that second and got sent to another world. Unfortunately he was over 1000 meters in the air and the world didn't have lighter gravity.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's some interesting ideas here even if they fully work out. Still, it was nice to have a game from Square in that era where everyone wasn't 17.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Like someone a few posts above mine, I was way too wimpy of a kid to play this myself...but watch my older sibling play it? 100%.

When the ff7 remake was announced this was one of the other games like, of that time, that I kinda hoped would get a similar treatment, or at least a proper re-release. But I guess something ID pointed out in the first post would complicate that idea a lot in that...this IS a licensed property. even if the property was...one? book and a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I’m hyped to be on the ground floor of a Dark Id LP. Man what a way to start a game.