Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh. Hell. Yes. :allears:

Welcome back, TDI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Aw hell yeah, it's a christmas miracle! :woop:

I was a huge weenie when I first played PE as a kid, was too scared to play it but now I love what scared me back then!

Also PE2 is totally fine, too. I like that the only two PE games that ever existed for real used different balances of "RPG Survival Horror."

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Welcome back, TDI. All the best with your new project. :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

My stupid Christmas Parasite Eve story is that I was supposed to get it as a Christmas present, but mom got it mixed up and put it into my sister's (early January) birthday pile. When my sister (who is cool and an athlete and not a video game nerd) opened it, she was very confused. We later got her a book she wanted to make up for the accidental bait and switch.

I ended up blasting through the whole game in a day because I couldn't put it down. Aya, this Aya, the actual Parasite Eve Aya, is a rad character, and thanks to having family in New York I've also been to many of these spots, which are very much worth the visit if you're in the area, and their inclusion adds a special kind of charm to the game.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Hell yeah do I love this game.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I love that one of the first things Aya does is to body check a dude so hard he gets knocked out of the story entirely. :allears:

Glad to see you back in the saddle TDI.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oh boy oh boy oh boy :neckbeard: :neckbeard:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

oh poo poo new TID LP

Jagged Jim posted:

I love that one of the first things Aya does is to body check a dude so hard he gets knocked out of the story entirely. :allears:

Glad to see you back in the saddle TDI.

Don't forget how she brings a gun to an opera date.

Girl was just begging for someone to start something, and by God she got her wish.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well this is a pleasant surprise. The LP and you being back I mean, not the spontaneous combustion and the horrible flashbacks to the future sequel that makes you wish for spontaneous combustion.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Girl was just begging for someone to start something, and by God she got her wish.

Shes an American cop so im more surprised that she only bought a pistol

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BisbyWorl posted:

oh poo poo new TID LP

Are you sure this wasn't instigated? She is a cop after all. :tinfoil:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Shes an American cop so im more surprised that she only bought a pistol

Well it's not like she could conceal-carry an AR-15 in that dress :v:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Good to see you back, TDI. Your LPs were the reason why I finally registered on SA.
And glad to see LP of one of my favorite games of PS1 era.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man I remember this game. I got to the final boss, hosed my loadout up, saved, and made it unwinnable.

It taught me to make backups lmao

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Angry_Ed posted:

Well it's not like she could conceal-carry an AR-15 in that dress :v:

Conceal?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

The Dark Id posted:

"You HAVE the ability to EVOLVE! Why take the side of a DOOMED species?!" - 2022 Sane People Mitochondria Eve.

Why indeed. ;) Welcome back, Id.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh lordy, this game is bugfuck silly enough on its own, that plus TDI interjections already have me giggling. This is gonna go places.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I saw the videos pop up in your youtube channel and got excited that a new LP was coming.

Welcome back TDI!

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
The timeline isn't that great, but sometimes you find things that make you happier. Glad to be here.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode II: Influence of the Deep

NEW Music: Gloom and Doom
(Very gloomy and doomy.)

We now rejoin Officer Brea who came to a Christmas Eve opera packing heat and ready to start blasting at a moment's notice. Thankfully, the heat of the spontaneous combusting audience members and stage staff has also died down in the interval since the last FMV. Just simmering human barbeque is left in its wake. And as for the dull flame of Aya's date? He got shoulder checked by her so hard he was literally ejected from the plot and is never seen again. I had some bad dates in my youth. But I can soundly say I was never body blowed into the Shadow Realm.

Our objective is to make it to the stage to see what the hell the deal is with the pyromancer opera lead. If you'd like a frame of reference for how unbearably slow Aya runs. In this second screenshot, the row of seats in the bottom left is the same as the ones immediately to Aya's upper left in the previous shot. And it literally takes 12 seconds for her to run that far. It would possibly take upwards of 40 seconds if she walked. The meandering rear end gait of this cop. I swear...

Anyhow, making our way to the stage the lead actress is now floating in mid-air. Her fellow actors have all apparently burnt away into ash. Both Christmas and Life Day are ruined forever.

<points at Aya> Hmph… You're the only one who seems to be fine…
What?
You should be awakening soon…
Wha… What are you talking about?!
The reviews of my opera are burning up the charts. You too shall submit your body to the sound of my sonic perfection!
...What?

Listen… Your cells are trying to communicate…
The tools are not yet there. They are in their infancy. But one day you fools will communicate the glories of this performance! The message boards and IRC of old will give into the six degrees! The friendsters, those linked in, those in my spaces, the book of face and the bird tweet! All will know the haunting aural glory of this day!
...What...?

Music: Influence of the Deep
(You should listen to this. It's some good boss music that only plays in the first section of the game. Also, if this soundtrack has a mild Kingdom Hearts sort of vibe to it, that's because it's the same composer.)

And we're thrown straight into combat and Aya Brea is ready to start blastin'. Combat in this is someone unique compared to the standard JRPG fare of the day. But not particularly complicated. Aya Brea is the only controllable character we'll ever get. There is no party in this. It's entirely just the singular character of Aya.

During combat we have full control over Aya's lackadaisical stroll across the battlefield and can maneuver her to avoid attacks from enemies. In this case, the villainous opera singer has learned how to just shoot a Kamehameha wave from the palm of her hand. Which is easily avoided by just keeping on the move. There is no dodge or combat roll ability. Aya just needs to saunter out of the path of danger. There is a range element where if Aya took a blast to the face she'd potentially take slightly more damage than if she was tagged at range. But it's still an unseen mathematical dice roll so don't worry about that too much.

By the way, there are tutorials for this game... accessible only by the main menu and they're not particularly detailed. In-game? Nah. You're just in it.

In the top left corner, there is Aya's HP which... you know what Health Points are. This game doesn't have a very high HP ceiling. I believe it maxes out at 999 HP. During the course of a normal playthrough, it'll maybe hit the mid to upper 700 range. Above that is a slowly filling AT or Active Time bar. When that fills to maximum Aya can perform an action. When this occurs, time freezes and can perform an action such as attacking or using items in the menu. When attacking with Aya's gun a spherical grid erupts from Officer Brea. This is the range we have for our attacks. An enemy must be within the wireframe area depicted in order to be attacked. When attacking we are given the number of bullets Aya can plug into an enemy. There is ammo in this game. It will never really be a factor as a limitation. But it is of note that if Aya has to reload her gun from her bullets being depleted that is the end of her turn. And time unfreezes when you are reloading. So that's something to keep in mind tactically.

As a final note, range is also a factor in that it's more likely to get a critical strike closer in. That said, many enemies have a melee attack that hits harder than any ranged ones. Also, all enemies work on Super Mario Bros. Goomba rules, and just bumping into them will make Aya suffer a small amount of damage. Do not bump into those enormous CGI tits! They will cause damage on contact! They are unnatural elements in this duel!

But this is baby's first encounter and the psychokinetic actress interrupts the fight as soon as Aya dumps on her the first time. She takes it like a champ!

<puts a hand on her chest and breathes heavily> What's happening…? My body…! It's…! It's getting hot!!
It already was, my dear. We're going to take this to the next level!
Wha...? That... That's a weird thing to say!
Hahahaha!!

Just a straight-up Final Fantasy-esque magic spell casting aura encircles Aya. Our heroine is confused by this development as up until twenty seconds ago she was a cop that could cast gun. But now...

What… is this? What did you DO TO ME?!

You'll notice Aya's status bar now has a PE Meter. For "Parasite Energy." It is... it's just Mana/Magic Points/Spell Juice. PE regenerates automatically during battle but at much slower rate than the AT meter. Being an RPG, there are of course items that can refill our juice quicker. But we'll get to that later.

But basically, Aya can now just cast Parasite Energy abilities. It's just magic with a fancy name. Her default spell is Heal 1 which will restore 30 HP at the cost of 60 PE. Supposedly. I'm just looking up numbers. PE is not given any useful numerical factor as to Aya's PE stats. It's just displayed as a bar and the game shows you how much of the bar will be depleted by the casting of the PE spell. I think she has 80 PE by default. There are no builds or anything in this game stat-wise. Everything is equipment-dependent and that's an entire update worthy hole to tumble into later. Aya Brea herself just levels up accordingly and gains HP and PE and new abilities on a linear path. It's not very complicated. But they again, Parasite Eve is the one-night stand of RPGs if you're determined. It's two discs mostly due to FMVs. The actual game is a 12-15 hour affair. Which I'll take after the 80 hours of Shadow Hearts 2.

Back to the fight... Aya just runs back and forth and dumps an entire magazine of handgun ammo into the flying magic actress.

Music: ENDS

<aims her gun> …WHAT?! Communicating what? What do you want?!
The more you use that power, the more you will become like… me…
The powerhouse of the cell... I am within! I am what makes you... hot...
Power…? What power?! Who ARE you…?!
Are you coming onto me?! What are you even going on about?!
Eve…
Eve…?
I'm surprised you don't know me, Aya… You should know me well…
What…?
It said Melissa on the brochure my crummy date gave me!
Hahaha!

Loud heartbeat to the flashback dimension.

Why am I seeing... whatever the heck this is... from the ceiling? Am I seeing the view of Spider-Man?!

<holds head> "Aya you need to get out more." "What do you mean you spent last Christmas day drinking wine and watching reruns of Suddenly Susan and 7th Heaven?" This right here is why I don't go out on the holidays. This season sucks! Christ!
Hahahaha!
Cringe.
What?!

And with that, the floating actress quickly exits Stage Right.

At this point, our only action is to pursue the sorceress actress off the stage into the back of the production. Again, I cannot help but emphasize how loving slow Aya Brea runs. See where she is now? The loading screen to the next room transition is the curtain on the left. It takes her five seconds to reach it from this position. She's not much better in Parasite Eve 2 either, frankly. But she's at least at standard Survival Horror protagonist levels. She had to start soul-possessing time traveling being meat puppeted by her clone's soul before she got any pep in her step.

Aya enters backstage and finds a giant hole blasted in the floor.

Police sirens and cars screeching to a halt are heard via the impressive acoustic of the concert hall.

Sounds like my backup's arrived.
<sigh> It's been ten minutes since the entire audience burst into flames in midtown Manhattan? The NYPD's response time really is that dire, huh? Gawd, the report I'm going to have to write after this...

We are given the option to jump into that gaping hole that has to be at least a fifteen-foot drop while wearing stiletto high heels. A move which I would calculate as being ill-advised. You never go full James Sunderland with holes. It's a bad way to live your life. But, before we do that there is a crate and as an officer of the NYPD in the middle of a criminal incident, Aya sees it well within her rights to start looting. We gain Medicine 1. The most generic of healing items. Your bog-standard potion of the game. Items can be used freely outside of battle. You need a full AT gauge to use them within fights. Parasite Energy abilities of the restorative nature like Heal 1 can also be used outside of battle. However, Aya will start the next fight with the PE gauge depleted accordingly. It only replenishes during battles. But early on it regenerates fast enough it's fine to just top off Aya's health between fights to save some resources.

Speaking of resources... Inventory management is a factor in this game. Aya does have a limited inventory. It will expand as the game progresses and is tied to her current armor equipment. Aya came to this opera with a gun, a spare magazine, A baton. A spear energy drink and she's wearing a bulletproof vest beneath that dress. I have questions about your lifestyle up to this point, Officer Brea.

Weapon wise we are required to keep Club 1 in our inventory for the duration of the game. There is no point in the game we will ever be using the Club. It's the weakest weapon in the game and has almost no range. It's just a failsafe in case the player somehow 100% runs out of ammo and the game cannot be soft locked in that instance. It is the QA compliance weapon. Beyond that, all weapons have an Attack stat that does what it says on the box. An effective Range stat that will expand the wireframe cone of fire when Aya attacks. And a number of bullets the gun's magazine can hold. We can switch weapons and armor on the fly during the battle but it will cost an AT bar action the same as attacking or using PE abilities. There is a lot more to the weapon system of this game. Particularly, there is a clownshoes rear end crafting mechanic in which you can Frankenstein's monster together guns that should not be. But that's a whole other can of worms.

As mentioned, Aya also has a flak jacket underneath that dress. Somehow. Don't think about it so hard. There are various sets of armor in the game that dictate Aya Brea's defense, overall MP PE, her critical hit chance, and her inventory room as an unseen factor. This is much less complicated as it is almost universally... just equip the newest armor you obtain. It's probably better overall.

Anyway, we could jump into that hole the magic actress Eve made. But, we can also do the sensible thing and go outside to see if our fellow cops arrived on the scene where literally several hundred people jump burned to death.

We just need to step over a few slabs of human bacon out the way we initially came. Aya actually has a bunch of dummied-out lines for investigating these corpses along the way that all boil down to "Man, that's hosed up! drat!" She just silently and slowly marches uncaring past the bodies of her fellow New Yorkers like your average NYPD officer instead.

Aya exits Carnegie Hall with a gun in hand and a couple of officers take aim at her but hold their fire when they realize she is an attractive white woman.

What?!
Hold on! I'm going to take out my badge… Don't shoot.

Aya Brea, seemingly having no joke crammed her NYPD badge down her cleavage like Meryl from Metal Gear Solid with several keycards and magazines of .50 caliber ammo, produces her badge and the officers relax while the medic wipes sweat from his brow.

We're now free to talk to these fine folks.

Who knows, huh?! Heh heh! Ya think we'll be on TV?! Hope this becomes a TV movie or somethin'…!
Yeah... I just saw a few hundred people burn to death. There are two charred corpses ten feet away from us... Not appropriate, guy...
Would they do a Law and Order episode of this, ya think?!

Lemme patch you up.

The paramedic will give Aya a free heal. That's nice, I suppose. Unnecessary. But nice.

Don't ask me. That's something I wanna know.
Everyone's gotten burned… a lot of them… probably won't make it…
Has anyone made it?
We're still looking into the casualties. One guy somehow got trapped in the Shadow Realm. Some kind of critical shoulder check. We're working on getting him out.
<rubs neck> Yeah... that's unfortunate. Best of luck, officer...

Yeah... we're both with NYPD and have the same service weapon. Weird...

This portly cop just came packing ready to ventilate some motherfuckers and will just hand over ten magazines to Aya if talked to repeatedly or sixty bullets in all. This guy was ready to do The Raid: Redemption on Carnegie Hall.

Anyway... that is all the back-up we receive from our fellow NYPD officers. An armful of ammo and a good luck as the 120 lbs wet Aya Brea marches back into the supernatural crime zone in high heels and a cocktail dress as the rest of the cops stand outside and talk about the latest episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer or whatever the gently caress you did back in 1997. There are cut lines mentioning that there is actually some sort of AOE immolation if you enter the building that only Aya is seemingly immune to. But they're cut. So the cops just seem like they suck. And that's fine. They're cops. They suck.

Tune in next time as the only competent officer on the NYPD travels to the depths of Carnegie Hall to unravel the mystery of Psycho Mantis' Theater School Sister as Parasite Eve continues!

The Actress - You ever see a lady with cleavage so out of control she rejected humanity and started shooting ki beams? You're not trying hard enough if not.

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020
Ah video games, where you can prepare for a long battle with lots of equipment and items and yet still be allowed to wear as little as you want as long as you got something covering up the parts that increase the game's rating.

Looking at you Illbleed's true ending path

TheGreatCatJames fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 2, 2022

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I didn't even know this game had tutorials in the menu. Was there not an instructional booklet, either? As long as we're talking about ancient times, I kind of miss those.

The Dark Id posted:

The Actress - You ever see a lady with cleavage so out of control she rejected humanity and started shooting ki beams? You're not trying hard enough if not.

I mean, I watch anime. I just don't know which part happens first, the boobs or the superpowers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

As mentioned, Aya also has a flak jacket underneath that dress. Somehow. Don't think about it so hard.

strapless flak bra

every bit as strong and protective as the chainmail bikini, but for modern times

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

The tools are not yet there. They are in their infancy. But one day you fools will communicate the glories of this performance! The message boards and IRC of old will give into the six degrees! The friendsters, those linked in, those in my spaces, the book of face and the bird tweet! All will know the haunting aural glory of this day!

Prophecies most dire.

Why didn't we listen?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Prophecies most dire.

Why didn't we listen?!

Melissa being a victim of social media poisoning makes a lot of sense. God, 2020s Parasite Eve would be a real trip, wouldn't it?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Honestly? More RPGs should be short and compact like Parasite Eve is. I enjoy a good 60+ trip, but sometimes, less is more.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Junpei posted:

Honestly? More RPGs should be short and compact like Parasite Eve is. I enjoy a good 60+ trip, but sometimes, less is more.

Fully agreed. I'm a fan of long RPGs as well, but a good experience can exist in a lot shorter. That and it's a lot easier to commit to 15 hours rather than 60- I don't have all the time I used to.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Oh hell to the yes! One of my most favorite RPGs done by a brilliant and hilarious LPer.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
The club has a hidden use in that it steals items from creatures! :eng101:

if you want to tack another 2-3 hours of playtime onto the game, you can use the Club to farm Junk from enemies in the park, but only under specific circumstances. Trade in enough junk and you'll get a special extra-powerful weapon. You should not do this, it sucks!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

if you want to tack another 2-3 hours of playtime onto the game, you can use the Club to farm Junk from enemies in the park, but only under specific circumstances. Trade in enough junk and you'll get a special extra-powerful weapon. You should not do this, it sucks!

I believe it's actually called civil forfeiture.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Club 1 can't steal, because it's just that lovely.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I've dealt with some RPGs that do the inventory cap thing, and that's never fun. But at least Aya can increase her capacity, unlike some of those games.

Clearly the backup knows their role in this game, they're NPCs, they exist to either stand around uselessly or try to fight the Villain of the piece and get Worfed in about 0.000001 seconds. Call me crazy but I think I know what option I'd take in that scenario.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The main thing the inventory cap means is that you'll have to discard some of the rain of low end healing items the game dumps on you.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

dis astranagant posted:

The main thing the inventory cap means is that you'll have to discard some of the rain of low end healing items the game dumps on you.
That's why you almost never have to use your PE to heal outside of battle: you have enough crap that would otherwise just go straight into trash two minutes from now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Aya isn’t the only competent cop on the force. There’s at least a few others. It’s just unfortunate that McClane is out of town, Maza & Bluestone are busy at the Eyrie Building for some reason, Sipcowicz is on vacation, Stabler and Benson are indisposed, and we haven’t yet met the other good cops appearing in the game.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hey Dark Id, have you seen the movie based on the book this game is loosely based on? It's pretty bananas.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Dark Id posted:

A spear energy drink and she's wearing a bulletproof vest beneath that dress
Is this supposed to be 'spare' energy drink? and it really, really cannot be over-emphasized just how drat slow Aya is. I've tried to play this myself multiple times and every time I've lost my patience with just drat long it takes her to get anywhere!

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is this supposed to be 'spare' energy drink? and it really, really cannot be over-emphasized just how drat slow Aya is. I've tried to play this myself multiple times and every time I've lost my patience with just drat long it takes her to get anywhere!

Thankfully, today we have emulation and ability to change framerate. Helps with overly slow protagonists, unskippable cutscenes, dodging lightning...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

Aya isn’t the only competent cop on the force. There’s at least a few others. It’s just unfortunate that McClane is out of town, Maza & Bluestone are busy at the Eyrie Building for some reason, Sipcowicz is on vacation, Stabler and Benson are indisposed, and we haven’t yet met the other good cops appearing in the game.

Also Munch is still in Baltimore and Fin hasn't joined the force yet so we don't get to hear about whatever new designer drug may have caused all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Also Munch is still in Baltimore and Fin hasn't joined the force yet so we don't get to hear about whatever new designer drug may have caused all this

Nah it was that hot new game that the kids are turning violent over. Petty Larceny 3 San Antonio I think its called.