Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kommy5
Dec 6, 2016

Ain't no one more handsome than Rattigan Johansen.

I love this game so much,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

The Dark Id posted:

Episode III: Arise Within You

And if we crank the zoom and enhance of a police procedural show dial up to 11 to enhance to the molecular level we can see a cell rapidly mutating and sticking tendrils into nearby cells, darkening their hue in the process as it makes screeching... cell noises. Now, I am no expert on biology. But I have played every Resident Evil game and watched a remarkable amount of edgy '80s and '90s bio-mutant oriented anime to have a fairly educated guess into this mutation cellular poo poo being, as say in scientific terms: "A loving bad scene!"

I have studied biology for a while and this is exactly the right way to watch the Parasite Eve cellular cutscenes. They're more ... impressionistic than being about particular cellular structures. They look neat as heck, though.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode IV: Sotto Voice

Music: Gloom and Doom

Now that we've looted a key off a corpse and phoned home to say we'd be staying out late tonight, Aya is now free to snoop around additional areas in the Carnegie Hall basement. The newly acquired Theater Key opens all doorways in this corridor EXCEPT for the one on the far end. And that's a problem. Well, let's get to rummaging about some more starting with the opposite dressing room from where we started.

In the next room, we find... yet another parrot. I really need to question where this play's narrative goes from forbidden lovers and a scornful king to requiring a clown and multiple parrots. You can actually occasionally find wild parrots chilling out in the wild in Manhattan and other boroughs. But those are usually green monk parrots or other varieties that don't give a poo poo about winter cold. These seem to be scarlet macaws that live in Central and South America and would not be too thrilled with late-December New York weather. But then again, I suppose it's fairly toasty in the theater tonight.

Music: Arise Within You

Though the parakeet is a very adaptable bird. Particularly, this one spreads its Christmas cheer to Aya in the form of doubling in size, growing a snazzy feather Mohawk and a prehensile tail-leg hybrid. Whatever is transforming these animals is really big on augmenting tail functionality. This mutant parrot is dubbed "Parrot." Again, I'm assuming Aya is coming up with these names, and given her role in law enforcement, probably wasn't big on literature or creative writing tasks. So "Parrot" it is even in its twisted new form. The Parrot has 10 HP and its only attack is to do a circular swoop in Aya's direction for minimal damage. It'll stop and swoop in mid-air as a tell.

Officer Brea can pretty much instantly put the Parrot on the endangered species list with a single bullet.

Music: Gloom and Doom

By the way, talking to that parrot and having it transform is completely optional. As is tearing open another closet in and confiscating additional ammo. Unlike most RPGs, just finding stashed boxes of ammo and pills of medicine all over the place is entirely reasonable for any average American building.

Continuing our quest for pills, bullets, and keys, Aya can unlock a messy storeroom that looks like it could be straight out of Spencer Mansion in Resident Evil.

Here we come upon a Defense +1 which will permanently add one point of defense to the currently equipped armor of Aya. We'll refrain from using that just yet because it's a trap to do so.

Instead, Aya's detective intuition kicks in and she decides to perform some property damage in her relentless pursuit of loot justice.

Well, we're sort of in the middle of a major incident with massive casualties. But... we should probably write up an incident report about this The Cask of Amontillado poo poo going on in the basement of Carnegie Hall.

But that's not a priority right now. Hang in there, skeleton. Instead, we're going to tamper with this crime scene by looting a chest and stealing an armor upgrade for Aya. I told you using that +1 Defense on the previous armor was a trap. There's no reason not to upgrade to the N Protector as it is across the board better stats. And we'll go ahead and slap on that +1 Defense. One thing about this game is you are not hoarding items for a rainy day. Other than bullets being deposited into a collective bullet chest (which does have a cap as well) no items stack. Each Medicine 1 we pick up takes up an inventory slot and that curative is going to become completely obsolete in short order. So if Aya takes a bump in battle it's best to just chug down some meds. Key Items such as... well, the Theater Key also take up an inventory slot and have the added fun of not being able to be discarded. So you're just down an inventory slot for the duration of an area until that can be addressed. But that's for later.

It is... one of the shittier parts of the game. I already hit the inventory cap for the first time in this very room.

After we kick open that wall to reveal literally a skeleton in the closet, Aya can return to the main prop room and investigate a closet only to be ambushed by a mutant Rat. A brief battle that will almost certainly result in our heroine taking some damage as there is literally no room to avoid it.

That's fine... we've got Medicine 1 to spare... And we need to make room because...

...It probably actually is responsible to confiscate a real loaded SIG Sauer P220 in the middle of a theater prop room. Aya's police skills would be collecting some rust if we left this lying around. So let's do our due diligence and use it to start shooting unruly wildlife and hammy actresses.

Beyond our crispy clown acquaintance, there is another large storeroom home to little of interest other than rats and parrots forming a deadly alliance. The species wars have begun and humanity is already faltering. I only venture into this room to take note of... hey, how the hell do you get into the basement area of Carnegie Hall? Aya came down from a hole blasted into the floor. There was no staircase behind her. The only remaining rooms are another dressing room and the final locked room at the end of the hall is labeled as a Rehearsal Room. This place was already a fire code nightmare even before the pyromancy began.

There is one more dressing room we've yet to poke around in. There are still no villainous magic actresses to be found in this one either. And disappointingly, another empty closet. But there is a far more important bounty to be found on the dressing room table... gossip.

NEW Music: Sotto Voice

<looks around the room> Hmm... This could be juicy...

November 3/Mon/
The Christmas show is set. This has been my dream! The main actress has a solo concert at the theater in Central Park. I took all that medication to get here. I HAVE to get the lead part! I'll even sell my soul to the devil if I have to.

November 17 /Mon/
The cast was announced and Suzanne and I are double cast. I want to play the part alone, but everyone knows she's good…

November 21 /Fri/
I think I'm overdoing it. My body is getting hotter than ever for some reason. I'd better take more medicine.

December 6 /Sat/
I collapsed today. I lost consciousness after my body got hot. I don't care if I die. I just want to get through this show.

December 10 /Wed/
I passed out again… They told me to go to the doctor and get some rest. If this continues, Suzanne will definitely take my part. I need to get better. I'd better take a lot of medication tonight.

December 11 /Th/
Suzanne was burned in an apartment fire. Is it because I wanted the part so bad? God, forgive me…

December 17 /Wed/
It looks like I'll be the lead. I'd better take more medication and work it.

December 23 /Tu/
Opening night. Everything went smoothly. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. We should have the biggest crowd of the season. And… I have the solo concert the next day at the park. But I'm not feeling well. I'd better shape up if I want to get through this. I'd better take more medication.

For what…? Why is she taking so much…?! She must have a drug problem…
This is why I always avoided those theater kids back in high school...

Another key…?

Thankfully, Aya's unprompted invasion of privacy paid off as we come upon the key to the final locked door in this theater basement purgatory. At this rate we're going to need to apprehend the psychic actress just to blast a hole in the wall to get the hell out of here.

Music: Main Theme (Piano Solo)
(You should probably listen to the main theme.)

Our suspect in this supernatural killing spree has chilled out a bit with the energy blasts and levitating to brush up on her piano training. She does apparently have a Christmas Day solo concert at the park to prepare for, after all. She really wants to melt the hearts of that audience tomorrow after burning up the stage today.

Aya casually trots toward the woman and draws her stolen firearm from the prop department. The woman briefly stops playing and looks up at Aya.

I am... I... am... "Eve"...! Aaah…! I'm… I'm… getting HOT!!
Yeah, we'll you're about to cool it Christmas Eve!!
It is... just Eve... I get the irony... of the holiday...

<begins playing again> Nucleic domination has finally come to an end once and for all.
What?!
That's the strangest way to tell off a cop I've ever heard...

There's nothing worse than ruining an otherwise flawless performance by transcending your humanity and evolving into a nightmare creature.

Music: Influence of the Deep

The paleness, the skin issues, the dry hair and scalp that are a chore to maintain... It's awful. It's like a second puberty.

And don't get me started on the part where you levitate so much your body swaps out your legs for a chitinous shrimp tail-like appendage.

Anyway, Melissa Eve has had quite the makeover. Significantly less goopy than the initial rat's glow-up. But don't worry. There's more than enough time to get to goopy antics with this villain. So much goop...

All things considered, Aya takes this transformation in far more stride than the rat encounter. To be fair, that rat was pretty gross and nobody is fond of seeing stray rodents in public settings in general.

Hahahahaha!!

<raises her arms> ...The day for the mitochondria to be free has finally arrived!!
...What?!
The liberation of cellular slavery has begun! The nucleic bonds will be shattered!!
Yeah... None of those words have cleared up what the hell...

Eve is done with words and now wants to fight. She's essentially just a far more mobile version of the very first fight against Melissa on the stage. Only she has two laser beams instead of just one. And she tends to sweep the arena this time around. It's best to stay at the center of the screen to get the most space to negotiate blasts. Beyond that, she's also capable of using her new fabulous manicure and hands larger than her torso in order to swipe Aya. It's almost universally a good idea to stay back from enemies since our primary attack is casting "Gun!"

None of her attacks are particularly damaging and she goes down in around six to seven bullets or so.

...Until your mitochondria is completely FREE…
Mitochondria? What're you SAYING?! I don't understand YOU!
Can't you hear them? The mitochondria? Communicating with you? Their song haunting all of your thoughts!
No! What the HELL is a mitochondria?!
Is that a new street drug...?
...Are you serious right now?! I... I can't right now with this...!!

NEW Music: Memories

Where is this? Is that…? Is that the little girl I saw…? No, it's…
Seriously... How am I seeing this from this angle? Is this on security cam footage?

A doctor walks up to the bedridden little girl.

Music: ENDS

How do you even spell that? I don't even... wait... where'd she go?! Crap!

At least our adversary is consistent in politely leaving via blasting a hole into the floor when Aya Brea has a JRPG flashback freak-out episode. I like to imagine she continued to rant, saw Aya was spacing out, waved her giant hand in front of her a few times to see Aya's completely checked out, and Eve just shrugged and left. Tune in next time for a goddamn sewer level! What do you think is going to be located beneath the basement of a building in Manhattan?

Parrot Concept Art - Why have two legs and a tail when you can combine all three for efficiency?

Eve Concept Art - The classy alternative to Jenova from Final Fantasy VII.

Video: Eve's Transformation
(You should watch this.)

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Eve here is such a pushover that you can easily beat her with a stick without taking any damage.

About not hoarding items... You shouldn't hang on to the medicine and power-ups, but weapons and armor are two things that should not be discarded, even when you get better ones.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Aya is constantly over-encumbered. No wonder she moves slow.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

...It probably actually is responsible to confiscate a real loaded SIG Sauer P220 in the middle of a theater prop room.

I think this may very well be the very first time a cop has managed to thwart Agent 47.

Also I guess I was wrong about the parrots.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Biology class lied to me guys. Mitochondria aren't the powerhouse of the cell, they are apparently the evil AI overlord of the cell :(

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

The Dark Id posted:

Whatever is transforming these animals is really big on augmenting tail functionality.

Tails are awesome, and making them better is also awesome. More things need tails.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That diary was surprisingly creepy given poo poo has hit the fan way worse and we already know who the villain is.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Shitenshi posted:

That diary was surprisingly creepy given poo poo has hit the fan way worse and we already know who the villain is.

Diaries are a good way to show a character slowly going insane over time while they freak the gently caress out trying to figure out what's going on. ITCHY TASTY and all.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Shitenshi posted:

It's a cool way to show where Melissa ended and how Eve began. Itchy Tasty being the villain origin story instead of some cannon fodder :v:

I can't not read the parrot's "Goodbye" as a way deeper pitch than the typical parrot voice outta nowhere. Also the one that aggros you tracks your movements until you speak to it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

The Dark Id posted:

hey, how the hell do you get into the basement area of Carnegie Hall?

Years of practice! :rimshot:

As long I'm being obnoxious, I'm just gonna well actually the update title: both the musical notation for dramatic, hushed tones and the name of the track by Yoko Shimomura from this game are spelled "Sotto Voce"; no I, since it's in Italian. You have it correct in the table of contents but not the post itself.

The soundtrack slaps, by the way. Most games would save their female choir for the final boss, but 20 minutes into the game it's already a motif. Glad to see you LP a good game for once, TDI.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm going to tell my really, really stupid Parasite Eve story.

Now, I have never actually played Parasite Eve, but at the time the game came out I had a game magazine that had an article about it that my step-sister and I thought made it sound so cool ("She's at the opera!" "And the audience catches on fire" "And she's gotta fight monsters with her gun and her dress!!" "What a cool action lady!"), but, being 8 or 9 at the time, knew we'd never be allowed to play a scary game like that.

So in comes my step-brother* (also 8 or 9 years old at the time) with some absolute grade-A bullshit, said with the confidence of a kid telling his classmates about his uncle that works at Nintendo, saying, "Oh yeah, I've played that game. It's really scary and bloody. And every time you get a game over it plays a movie** where the main character lady is walking in to Hell and she goes to the gates of Hell and then the giant Devil reaches out and grabs her and pulls her in and the gates slam shut and he eats your character but you don't see anything until he spits out Aya's bones and hair. And creepy piano music plays and it's game over. Every time you die."

Goons. This scared the poo poo out of me. I think that night I couldn't sleep because that image scared me so bad (like, I could see this so clearly in my mind) and my mom kept asking me why I was so upset and even at the time I know I couldn't even begin to explain this dumb bullshit to her. I tell you this because this is what I think about every time Parasite Eve comes up and it is the dumbest, most hilarious story.

Anyway, that's my deeply stupid Parasite Eve story.

*Whom, as of last November, we no longer talk to
**What we used to call CGI cutscenes

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What happened last November?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

He might be following QAnon and I'll just leave it at that

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

That game sounds badass. Reminds me a bit of the game over screens in Dragons Lair, where Dirk turns into a skeleton and collapses into a pile of bones, which also traumatized me as a child.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Honestly, I have no idea where he got that idea, like if this just sprang from nowhere in his imagination or if he was cribbing it from somewhere? But this is also the step-brother that told me at the end of FF7 Cloud got executed for being a terrorist :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sounds to me like he was just trying to get a rise out of you by weaving as much edgy poo poo together as he could.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh, that's absolutely a big part of it and I fell for it every time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Landfill posted:

Oh, that's absolutely a big part of it and I fell for it every time

Sounds like he's playing a real long con now then :v:.

Seriously though, sorry you have to put up with family getting caught in that bullshit.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
This is one of those games I have been aware of basically since it came out yet never played, and this is a fun way to still experience it at greatly accelerated rates yay

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
I never owned this game, but I played through multiple times between rentals and borrowing a friend's copy, and it really is a genuinely fun, unique game. I hate, hate hated those original pre-4 Resident Evil games, but Square's take on similar ideas is executed very well.

Particularly, the alternative take on RE Classic's severely limited inventory system. PE is one of the few games I can think of to really counter rpg item-hoarding at the design level in a non-obnoxious way. Limited inventory and the constant churn of improved equipment actually discourages wasting things. The megalixir you still have at the final boss was worthless the entire time. Use it or lose it! Use it or don't pick up the awesome BFG around the next corner! Oh, cool bfg, let's fight some mutant llamas. Sweet. Oh, the llama shoots nuclear bees? Cool, better use a megalixer.

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020
So I decided to play along and where Id got a new gun and an armor +1 I got a medicine 1 and an offense +1, So there's some RNG going on. (though I still got the armor.)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Yeah I think each (or maybe 90% of each) chest will either be a stat up or a more generic item like Medicine or bullets.

Speaking of which I never saw that chest before the hole backstage holy hell.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Certain chests have a loot table, so you have a % chance of getting each item on the table. It isn't all chests though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McGavin posted:

Certain chests have a loot table, so you have a % chance of getting each item on the table. It isn't all chests though.

It is most of them, tho.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

TheGreatCatJames posted:

Tails are awesome, and making them better is also awesome. More things need tails.

Just think, if we had evolved from monkeys instead of apes, we could have had tails, too. :sigh:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Hopefully it would be prehensile or stinger tails or both. Not just neckties for our butts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Viola the Mad posted:

Just think, if we had evolved from monkeys instead of apes, we could have had tails, too. :sigh:

It only takes a few mutations for a human to be born with a tail, and it does happen every once in a while. Most people have them surgically removed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

ultrafilter posted:

It only takes a few mutations for a human to be born with a tail, and it does happen every once in a while. Most people have them surgically removed.

ngl having a tail sounds kinda cool :goku:

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 13, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dis astranagant posted:

It is most of them, tho.

All chests have loot tables. For some of them it's just a 100% chance.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode V: The Surface of Water

Since there is literally no way forward in this basement-level theater purgatory other than the newest hole Eve has blasted through the floor, our only option is to just jump. Do you know the goof about the hazard of Aya jumping down an entire level of a building in high heels earlier? Yeah, I take that back as an overreaction. That was within bounds of reason after this drop...

NEW Music: The Surface of Water

Holy poo poo! That is a fifty-foot drop just from the ceiling straight into raw sewage. At least fifty feet. Who is to say the height of the foundation of the building above to this grand hall of a sewer. Aya Brea has some knees of steel. Anyway, we should probably go after that mutant woman. She seems problematic.

Aya is immediately ambushed by a trio of rats. There is nothing noteworthy about this other than...

Aya has reached Level 4 which unlocks the Scan Parasite Energy power. We'll show this off in just a moment. As we shortly come upon...

...A new enemy type appears! It's a giant frog that has decided it only needs its back legs. You know, for the jumping thing. Frogs are like beer. They've got to have hops. Also if you'd like its official title, it is, in fact, "Frog." These have 34 HP so they're quite a bit hardier than the Rat or Parrot.

The Frog just sort of mindlessly hops around at random. Eventually, it'll turn its attention toward Aya and try to lick her with its tongue. It just darts straight out so if Aya is mobile when it turns to her, it is very easy to evade. It's a frog, mutated as it may be. It needed to check off those boxes for jumping and licking. It has fulfilled its duty.

As a final note, we did just get our new Scan ability. This is utterly useless. Aya will shove her chest into the air causing laser boxes to focus on one enemy. A status box will appear at the top of the screen displaying the enemy's HP and their elemental weakness. Frogs don't like the cold. Checks out. We are never going to use this again. Especially since the one type of enemy, you MIGHT blow a turn on to use Scan just to get a ballpark on their remaining health would probably be the bosses. Scan does not display boss HP. Just their elemental weakness. Good stuff!

As an aside, we leveled up again from that fight. About one minute has elapsed since the conclusion of the three Rat fight and this Frog + Rats clash. I didn't skip over anything. Leveling up in this game is just wonky.

Advancing further there are two staircases we'll investigate in a moment. More importantly, someone carelessly left a chest in this sewer, perhaps one of those graffiti tagging hoodlums, and left behind...

A Colt M1911A1. If Big Boss were here he would be nutting himself right now at this bounty of the deep. The M1991A1 is top to bottom better than the P220 Aya stole from the prop room just... all of ten minutes ago. And since apparently the NYPD circa 1997 had weapons and equipment procure on-site standards of practice... there's no reason to immediately equip this bad boy. It's a classic.

The top level of the sewer here is just a circular catwalk for seemingly aesthetic sake. It draws the eye well and heightens the ambiance of the sewer chandelier's light glistening off the raw sewage water. All that's up here is an ambush by a pair of rats. And you can barely make it out but if you'll draw your attention to Aya's status bar, this camera angle reveals a hidden treasure chest blow. There's also another one to right slightly off-screen in a similar placement.

Killing this Rat trio will yield a new item - Revive. This is an extremely rare item in that you get two here. There are two more about two-thirds of the way through the game. And otherwise, they're only in post-game stuff. Revive does what it says. Should Aya fall in battle and one of these are in her inventory she will automatically resurrect. Are we sure this isn't an Umbrella Inc. lab front...? But the thing is... that's sacrificing an inventory slot in an already incredibly tight inventory situation. So unless you're pretty sure you're in for a bad time... maybe not too handy.

Anyway, let's return downstairs and wade through the middle of the sewer. Where we find...

<sniffle>
You really shouldn't be down here, kid. I mean, *I* really shouldn't be down here...

The child runs off.

I am *not* running and splashing all over any more than necessary already to chase you.
<vanishes and opens a gate>

Let's forget the ghost girl for now. There's looting to be done. Or, at least, there would be if Aya wasn't full up on inventory. Again. Did nobody playtest this game and think this might go really old, really fast? Especially in a game where enemies have random item drops? No. Well, there is a small remedy available. It's not a very good one. If Aya's inventory is full then she does have the option of swapping out an item to the chest which she could, in theory, retrieve later. The problem is you don't get see what the item is until you do the swap. So you get to a situation like this in which I swapped a Medicine 1 to get a... Medicine 1. The box to the northwest corner? Also a Medicine 1. Also, many chests have randomized loot tables. For some reason...

There's a bit of Koudelka crossover in mashing the systems of a 40 hour RPG into the trappings of a ten-hour survival horror game and not making sufficient compromises.

What is useful is this chest with our first Offense +1. Which does the same thing as Defense + items just for weapons. And as before, we cannot horde these. Just slam it immediately into whatever is equipped for a small boost in offense.

Following the ghost child, we reach a gate and save point. This is a very brief sewer level. Which have no complaints with! Part of my soul is still haunting the labyrinth of the Kislev sewers...

Hey, it's Officer Brea again checking in... umm... I am pursuing the suspect. She fled into the sewers. Oh, how did she manage to get down there? Well... you see... she... grew about twelve feet tall and got... look, I'll have to file a report later... I get back to you.

Aya opens the gate enters.

What...?
Stop right there!
You have got to speak up!
I said... STOP RIGHT THERE!!
I still cannot hear--
Or for fu--WAIT A MINUTE!! I AM COMING OVER!!

Aya sloshes through more sewage to get closer to Eve to try this again. You really do need to run all the way over there to gain Eve's attention.

Much better... The flowing water interferes with the acoustics of this hall. It is most unpleasant.
…My body… My body's getting… hot AGAIN!!!
Hahaha… Aya's ready to take me on just by herself.
...Wait, I never told you my name.
I told you... our bodies are communicating with each other. I wonder, will you tell your allies how you read my former self's diary and killed a clown. Dreadful behavior...
Gah... OK... reading the diary was weird of me. But the clown wasn't on me! He ran off on his own!
The man you kicked open a door and pulled a gun on a man shouting an incident was occurring. You keep telling yourself that, Aya.

<points at Aya> Well, even if you did have more people with you, they'd just BURN, right?! Everyone else… but YOU… YOU are…
TELL ME, Eve…! Why…? Why me? Why am I the only one…?
<puts hand to chest> You'll find out. Eventually… Even if you don't understand… don't worry, your mitochondria will …They've always known… I'm going to give you some time… some time to think and some time to evolve…
One might even say... Level Up...
<raises arms> And the day shall arrive when YOU will …AWAKEN…

Not if I shoot you first!!
Yes... That worked so well the last fifteen times...
Wait... where are you going? Stop!!

Tell me, Aya. Have you seen the hit 1991 cinematic blockbuster by James Cameron, Terminator 2: Judgment Day starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, and Robert Patrick?
Wha?! What does THAT have to do with anything?
Don't worry. Your body has already told me the answer... This will save us some time. My, you do have terrible luck with blind dates...
Are you mind reading crappy dates I had when I was like 19?! The hell?!
Maybe you shouldn't have read my diary. Anyway, I'll be going...

Remember when I said this was a bio-goop heavy game? Yeah so...

Eve can just reconstitute herself into bio-goop and reform at will. That seems problematic going forward.

Eve is just going to float off down a few random sewer canals until she figures out how to get the hell out of here. Aya, unfortunately, cannot turn into bio goop. The best she'll ever get is Quantum Leaping into people's bodies and using them as disposable meat puppets. And that's not something we'll worry about in this adventure.

We have bigger problems on this side of the gate. Rats, Frogs, and Parrots are one thing...

NEW Music: Plosive Attack
(It's the boss battle theme. Go listen to it!)

It turns out the urban legends of New York City sewers being a host to alligators is true and one just happened to be parked right outside a crazy-rear end biological-curse incident. Eve's influence has transmogrified the alligator to become some sort of bipedal man-gator. And that would be a problem in and of itself. But...

What if it was an electric man-gator?

Meet the Alligator. The game informs us this enemy has two targets and it does indeed. The body and the tail are separate entities to attack. Going after the body right now is completely a waste of time as it is invulnerable until the tail is sufficiently full of bullets. The Alligator Tail has 80 HP we need to whittle down.

Speaking of tails, that is its primary form of attack with a very damaging tail whip up close and a secondary ranged tail whip that shoots a volley of five Street Fighter's Guile-esque Sonic Booms in a roughly sixty-degree arc in Aya's direction. The arc of the Sonic Booms depends on which side of the beast Aya is closest to and will start from that direction and sweep away in an arc away from that direction. Basically, we want to keep moving toward the side we're currently on just to avoid being dead center in front of the thing.

After the tail is done in, Alligator will roar and the camera will shift indicating Phase 2 where the body is now vulnerable. The body of the Alligator has 120 HP and a new move set.

Since its tail is out of commission it can now shoot fireballs out of its mouth. It will shoot a trio of blasts towards Aya's position at about twenty degrees of range. As long as she is not up in its grill, it's very easy to avoid by staying mobile. Also of note... yeah it doesn't actually have any electrical attacks despite the FMV. Aww... Square... one day you'll have the CGI team and the gameplay team trade notes to maintain consistency. It's 2022 and that day still hasn't arrived, but I hold to hope...

The Man-Gator has also gotten used to its newly upright orientation and can dash towards Aya to take a series of swipes or attempt to bite her. Aya needs to be going in the opposite direction immediately to avoid this as it only attacks where she's standing when it begins dashing.

In any event, Aya shoots the Alligator a bunch and it dies. What more do you want. Our only offensive ability is to cast Gun.

Doing so will level Officer Brea up yet again and unlock the Slow Parasite Energy ability. We'll have to take a look at that another day as we're done with combat for a decent clip of time. But I hazard a guess you can figure out what it does... To be honest, Aya's abilities, barring the last one, are about as bog-standard JRPG as you can get for the most part.

Finally, Aya crafted the carcass of the Alligator into a Kevlar Vest. She's multi-talented. Rare for a cop!

Music: ENDS

<looks around> When "I" will awaken…? Just tell me what you want, EVE!!
What the HELL is a mitochondria?!

Sometime later after Aya manages to climb a fifty-foot hole in a sewer ceiling and another fifteen-foot hole out of the basement.

If you're just tuning in folks, this breaking news is going to burn up your ears!

The reporter notices the unharmed woman holding a gun and reeking of poo gas.

Miss! You are the sole survivor of this horrible ordeal, CORRECT?!
<looks down> …I…
...Just walked out here. I dunno...
Until now, this combustion theory has been acknowledged only by occult enthusiasts…
Tell us miss, have there been signs of witchcraft, sorcery, or dark god interference this evening?
Please… just… leave me alone…
I need like... eight showers before I can talk to anyone...

A man with a powerful Danny Glover from Lethal Weapon energy quietly walks onto the scene.

<coughs into hand>
I would like to represent the citizens of the city and interview you exclusively…

Oh, poo poo! Were we supposed to be rolling?! I said this was rehearsal. We don't go live until the top of the hour.
Dammit, Jim!
My name is Steve, jackass! This is why you're usually the daytime sub anchor. You're the only one here on Christmas Eve.

<motions behind him> Scram, buddy!
Daniel...
I don't need you on another three weeks paid leave again right now.
<shrugs> Sorry I'm late, Aya.

A short while following a police assault on a reporter later...

Yes… Oh, but my date…
Heard from a cop that your boyfriend ran outta there like a wuss! Haha!
Guy had a broken shoulder and was screamin' he just got flung out of the Shadow Realm. Haha...
Oh? So he... made it?
Aww naw. Burst into flames about five seconds after that.

Er… sorry your date didn't go well, ahem…
It's not like that! I had him escort me 'cuz he kept pestering me for a date.
Yeah, but of all places… the OPERA?! There's a story! Ha!
I didn't want to do a movie. I already had a bad date to see Titanic last week. Three hours in a theater with a guy that chewed popcorn with his mouth open and a crying baby two rows back. Ugh. Plus what else am I going to see go see? Tomorrow Never Dies? Alien: Resurrection? Flubber?
I heard Scream 2 is alright.
Not really my scene. Especially, after tonight.

So why the opera, huh? Is that the "in" thing right now?
Saw the ad in the paper. I dunno… just caught my eye…
Don't tell me you were on to this case?! Haha… so you finally got some cop instinct in ya, huh?

Aya stares out the window.

Daniel… shouldn't you be with your son? It's Christmas Eve…
He knows his dad's a cop… My boy understands…
I got him one of those PlayStation game gizmos. Comes packed with something called Crash Bandicoot 2 or something like that.
What the hell is a bandicoot?
Hell if I know. Some kinda mystical creature. I don't get those game system things but he'll be happy.

ANYWAY… to change the subject… I heard things from people who were there… but this is ONE HELL of an incident, huh?!
...What the hell is a mitochondria...?

Eh? Aya? You casting some incantation over there? Speak up.
Symbiosis…? When was I in the hospital…?

Aya's head lulls to the side and she goes quiet.

Oh well… Don't blame ya… after what you've been through tonight…
<glances over> ......
Oh, are you doing that thing where you sleep with your eyes wide open? That freaks me the *gently caress* out. drat...

NEW Music: Memories of 'Aya and Eve'

And that concludes the first "Day" of Parasite Eve. The game is broken into six days. Though it fails to mention this convention until we reach Day 2. Watching the intro cinematic we can learn Day 1 was titled "Resonance" apparently. So strap in for a weird week as we next continue to Christmas Day on Day 2: Fusion.

Frog Concept Art - Not everyone got the greatest bio-curse evolutionary glow-up out of this deal. Still doing better than the Rat.

Alligator Concept Art - Doing better than the frogs...

Video: Episode 5 Highlight Reel
(Big goopy lady and low poly city.)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I had no idea the item chests were RNG. What a bunch of dicks!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

could be worse, could be 0.1% chances of a chest existing, or that you can't open 4 chests or else you don't get the zodiark gun.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Danny Glover-rear end old cop Daniel. They know what they're doing.

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

The Dark Id posted:

Eve can just reconstitute herself into bio-goop and reform at will. That seems problematic going forward.

Unlike that one guy in the first Xmen movie. What was up with that it's been years since I've seen it but he had the worst mutant power ever!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheGreatCatJames posted:

Unlike that one guy in the first Xmen movie. What was up with that it's been years since I've seen it but he had the worst mutant power ever!

he was a regular people who Magneto kidnapped and mutantified with a magic tesla coil

his power was unstable and he terminally goo'd after escaping Magneto's evil fortress

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
So how much is the chest RNG worth caring about? Is there anything worth reloading over?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The ones with weapons and armor in them would be, I would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The ones with weapons and armor in them would be, I would imagine.

The rng weapons are generally 50-50 of 2 largely equivalent guns and there's only a couple of them. The next area is absolutely infested with 80/20 and 60/40 splits between permanent upgrades and ammo/medicine but there's so many such chests and so few save points that actually bothering is hard to justify.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 15, 2022