Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I foresee a lot more 90s nostalgia before this is over (and I liked Tomorrow Never Dies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I love how hard this game tries to make things look like NYC on PS1 graphics.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If this ever got a fancy HD remake, it could very well be the grossest game of all time.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

cant cook creole bream posted:

All chests have loot tables. For some of them it's just a 100% chance.

Funny, I never knew this either. Every time I used a guide that said chest contents I never noticed any differences between game & guide. [shrug]

Some women can easily do acts of physical exertion in heels. I guess Aya is one of them. Can’t remember if the rest of her clothes get trashed in the game but I wouldn’t be surprised either way. Her dress certainly looks okay after the massacre and the sewers. Maybe it has mitochondrial power too?

Id- Do you mean there’s no reason NOT to equip the Colt right away?

I never used the Revive item that I can remember. Scarce resources, maybe I never found any. 🤔

You don’t need to apologize for threatening and/or killing a clown, Aya. Not identifying yourself as a police officer when you did so… that might be a problem. Apologies if she did, poor memory.

The game using sewer alligators still makes me fanboy smile today. :D

Clearly Daniel knows John McClane. Or at least his wife, who has also slugged jerk reporters.

More good stuff is ahead in the game. :D

Speaking of which, somewhere in NYC shortly after the PE Carnegie Hall event-

Random Citizen- Crazy slime-related events in Manhattan? I know just who to call for this!

[dials]

Janine- Ghostbusters. What? Massive Slime Outbreak at Carnegie Hall? Cops already on the case? That’s good. One survivor? That’s bad. Hang on a sec. Hey guys, do we handle mitochondria related cases?

Ray- Hmm. That doesn’t sound like ghosts. Guys?

Winston- Don’t ask me.

Egon- No. I could explain why, but… no. Just no.

Peter- Hell no! I do want that Brea chick’s phone number however.

Ray- Don’t push your luck, Venkman. Get that, Janine?

Janine- Sorry, sir. The Ghostbusters will not be assisting with this issue. We do wish Detective Brea luck, though. Have a nice day.

[moment of silence for Ivan Reitman & Harold Ramis]

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Daniel is the best character in the game.

The most annoying thing in the game for me was key item taking space and not automatically thrown out after they are not needed anymore. In fact, you cannot throw them out manually either. Never. Right now Aya has two slots in her inventory taken by keys to the Carnegie Hall. Which you cannot do anytthing with right now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

FeyerbrandX posted:

could be worse, could be 0.1% chances of a chest existing, or that you can't open 4 chests or else you don't get the zodiark gun.
Excuse me don't be spreading misinformation like that.

It was the spear. :colbert: And technically you could get if you messed up the bizarre completely unmarked chests trigger, it but it was something like a 1% chance on a 1% chance of a chest existing, rolled when you entered the area, and it was deep in a difficult dungeon.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

achtungnight posted:

Funny, I never knew this either. Every time I used a guide that said chest contents I never noticed any differences between game & guide. [shrug]

Some women can easily do acts of physical exertion in heels. I guess Aya is one of them. Can’t remember if the rest of her clothes get trashed in the game but I wouldn’t be surprised either way. Her dress certainly looks okay after the massacre and the sewers. Maybe it has mitochondrial power too?

A Parasite Eve game with clothing damage does not exist. It has never happened.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jagged Jim posted:

A Parasite Eve game with clothing damage does not exist. It has never happened.

This is correct and I say that without being facetious.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There is no Third Birthday in Ba Sing Se.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

dis astranagant posted:

The rng weapons are generally 50-50 of 2 largely equivalent guns and there's only a couple of them. The next area is absolutely infested with 80/20 and 60/40 splits between permanent upgrades and ammo/medicine but there's so many such chests and so few save points that actually bothering is hard to justify.

The game doesn't demand min maxing enough to worry about not getting stat ups at least.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Leave posted:

If this ever got a fancy HD remake, it could very well be the grossest game of all time.

Hells, a Parasite Eve game in this current age would hit far, far harder then it would in any other timeline.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

you can tell this was a prototype for ff7 because daniel and barrett are the exact same guy

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Daniel is cooler; he doesn't have a machine gun arm to fall back on when he doesn't get his way, and he doesn't *need* one.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Yeah no, Barrett WISHES he was half as badass as Daniel is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Magil of Shadow posted:

Hells, a Parasite Eve game in this current age would hit far, far harder then it would in any other timeline.
It's true then that ignorance is bliss.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Holy Police Brutality Batman! Granted, sensationalist reporters are one of the few peoples that deserve that sort of treatment, but imagine that scene in a modern day game. THAT would be one helluva shitstorm.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Bufuman posted:

Holy Police Brutality Batman! Granted, sensationalist reporters are one of the few peoples that deserve that sort of treatment, but imagine that scene in a modern day game. THAT would be one helluva shitstorm.

Is it that sensationalist to want to interview the one survivor of an incident that killed thousands of people?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Qrr posted:

Is it that sensationalist to want to interview the one survivor of an incident that killed thousands of people?
More like suicidal. After all, what's one more victim after thousands?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

As if thousands of people go to the opera.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

McGavin posted:

As if thousands of people go to the opera.

Stern Auditorium holds about 2,800 people, and thousands of people actually do go to the opera. Hah!

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

Bufuman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhQWqFBFxW4

Does this count since there was a rerelase?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

OH, I get it. Christmas Eve. Parasite Eve. But her name is Eve. Nice.

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
The gator's electric shenanigans *are* used in fight, but not directly. It's the spark that ignites whatever the gator is spewing in the flamethrower attack!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's far more scientifically plausible for the biomutant electrogator to be producing superconductive mucus that flashes into plasma when introduced to an electrical current

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
at this point the most plausible scientific explanation about everything we've seen so far is that it's just plain ol' magic

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't be ridiculous

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hwurmp posted:

it's far more scientifically plausible for the biomutant electrogator to be producing superconductive mucus that flashes into plasma when introduced to an electrical current

Is this the point where we point at the bombardier beetle and make vague woo-ish noises about how amazing nature is?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bombardier beetles do not employ the Fire element, and nature is an abomination

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Something to note in the sewer area below Carnegie Hall. First off, it's a one-and-done zone; you never return to it at any point in the game after the opener, so any items you miss are gone forever. Thankfully medicine 1s grow like mushrooms, so you basically have infinite healing going on as a result.

Another thing to note is that on the right side of the main hall in the sewer, almost directly opposite of the gate that leads to the crocodile, is a hidden passage that opens up into a room with four chests, each one with Offense or defence +1s and possibly +2s.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode VI: Out of Phase

Merry Christmas! Welcome to Day 2 of Parasite Eve - Fusion. It's going to be a busy holiday week in Manhattan. So let's get started...

Wish I could, but I'm the only one who knows what happened last night.
Plus, I'm single and I don't have any family. The usual Christmas is a bottle of wine and a carton of ice cream and Santa didn't drop those off last night.
I've been gathering some info on Melissa. She's got no relatives… And no close friends.
And definitely no co-workers anymore...
That's a little dark.

She was sick often-always on some kind of medication. The people at the opera said they were amazed she could even stand on stage. Her apartment burned down right after the incident, so we have no info on her medication.
Yeah, I read a journal of hers and she was really pounding some kind of drugs.
...You read her journal? Why...?
I... mean, it was open. And then... and I was... pursuing a lead... *cough*

(Nix, The Bald Detective): So what's this spontaneous combustion stuff all about?
It wasn't exactly spontaneous. People were actually set on fire.

That's the best way to describe it for now.
ESP, huh? Well, I'm not buyin' it.
Dude, she shot laser beams out of her palms at me.
Are we talkin' like a Kamehameha or a Hadoken here?
...What?
Tch. Like a concentrated beam or an actual ball of fire?!
I said beam!
I'm tryin' to get a hold of the situation here and power level.
<shakes head> ...This f-n' guy...

But if you're right, how are WE supposed to deal with something like that?
I can't parry a ki wave.
I know, right?

I believe her. After all, Aya's the only witness so far. But if you're gonna take on a suspect like that, you'd better ask Baker for a better sidearm.

Aya enters the Chief's office.

Back when I started on the force the worst we had to deal with ghosts and outsourcing the busting of them. And a very similar situation a couple of years later... That was a strange stretch.
We're going to go all out to solve this case. Make sure you're well equipped. Go down to the weapons department and give this permit to Torres. He'll help you out.

This tracks. What's the cops' response to an unclear threat? Naturally, it is you need more guns.

NEW Music: Out of Phase
(Very chill.)

Welcome to the N.Y.P.D. Precinct #17 is pretty much the closest thing this game has to a neutral RPG town-type area with friendly NPCs chilling out. Nobody in this room has anything new to say, they just repeat their last lines of that previous conversation.

Aya can go to her desk to save her progress by... calling the same building she is in...? Don't think about it too hard. A nice little detail is if you squint, there is a police sketch of Melissa Pearce, the opera actress that transformed into Eve.

Hey, chief. It's Aya... on my way to get that weapon upgrade.
<pokes head out of office> Detective Brea, are you calling me from the next room?
Umm...? Maybe...
<shakes head and slams door>

We're now free to explore the Precinct. We've been in the chatty zone with NPCs up until now and haven't had time to mention Aya Brea's attire change.

She is now wearing the most normal rear end human JRPG protagonist outfit of all time. It's a plain white t-shirt, a leather jacket, and mom jeans. And this is what she'll be wearing for the remainder 95% of the game. She takes off the jacket for serious time at the end game. And that does not track for the rest of the series, I'll tell you what.

...I'll tell you what.

You didn't hit your head last night, did you? It's right downstairs!

Fun note: I think other than Aya, Melissa/Eve, and the ghost child... this the only female NPC in the game. This title has a very small cast. In fact, after this update, we will have met all but two significant characters in the entire plot.

Let's not dally any further. I know we skipped some doors but let's just head straight to the weapons department. It is the door closest to the camera downstairs.

Music: ENDS

Hey there, HR Department complaint.
Hah! Sorry, darlin'. You can't file another complaint if I already got one pending. <finger guns>
...I don't think that's true...

Cut the crap, Wayne. Where's Torres?
That baldy? Who knows. So what'll it be… Shotgun? Rocket launcher?
Flamethrower? Hypervelocity railgun? Sub-machingun that fires rockets? Gunblade?
WAYNE!
<stands at attention> Y, yes, sir!

An older cop enters the room and approaches the desk.

I think that's gun lobbyists influencing congress and a deeper systemic pro—
Don't try to reflect my ire with political talk!
Whatever, man...

Get your rear end back to weapons storage! You're far from ready to be handling guns in here!
OK, OK… Sheesh…

Torres and Wayne switch places behind the counter.

For last night's case? Heard it was quite a mess. But as long as cops rely on guns, criminals will too. It's a vicious cycle. I hate to hand a weapon to a young cop like you… But I hear this isn't your ordinary crook. Guess I can't send you off empty-handed.
Guy, I know you're all about the gun control thing. I get it. There is a time and place for that... I just fought some kind of monster sorceress and a rat the size of a dog that could shoot fireballs. Can I just get my gun, man? I've had a long 24 hours.
Say, you can't carry any more equipment. Wayne! Take some of her things and put them in storage.
Yeh, yeh…
You have something to say, officer!?
N, no, SIR!

Wayne runs up to Aya.

We can now dump all our excess equipment with Wayne here. We cannot remove equipped equipment, which is highlighted in blue, and we must keep one melee weapon Club with us at all times just as a failsafe for soft locking if SOMEHOW the play managed to spend all their bullets. Please note that Aya does NOT discard Key Items she finds in areas. So those two keys we found in Carnegie Hall are still just filling space in her pockets. C'mon, Parasite Eve. loving the very first Resident Evil figured this out.

Wayne runs off with Aya's excess crap.

Police detectives, are well known for being armed with full-on automatic rifles. Sure, why not? Please take notice that in Parasite Eve bullets are just bullets. Calibers do not exist. The same bullets that can be stuck into a handgun can be shoved into a rifle. They all come from the same pool. We could use that Mod Permit we received from Baker to add a "Slot" to weapons that can fit them with special effects. We'll get into all that later. It is... a lot... So we'll hang onto the permit for now.

You can rearrange equipment parameters and added effects to tweak your equipment. I can show ya some cool tune-up techniques! Ya got it? Trust me, you can never have too much firepower.
...Is this legal?
'Course! I'm a cop!
I don't think that's how that works either, Wayne.

Of course, can't use 'em without bullets, so you better make sure you always have your club. Just in case, ya know? Now, why don't ya leave the stuff you don't need with me?

OK, so certain weapons/armor have certain special effects and we can trash the equipment to harvest their effects and slap them on other equipment. This will eventually lead to the sundering of the gameplay balance as you can perform some stupid broken poo poo with this system. But again, that is for another day. We are strictly in the exposition zone for now.

We get our first Tool in the chest to Wayne and we can return to him to leave additional items in storage. We'll just keep that in mind for now.

Music: Out of Phase

Let's take the time to check out the rest of the station before we advance forward.

We've got a dog kennel. This cop just likes to chill and ride out his shift checking out dogs. He's got a nice poster of them and everything. That's cool. One less cop on the street.

The end of the hallway is where they keep additional guns in the NYPD's vast arsenal. I do not think this ever opens. I'm not sure why that door even exists.

Rolling back upstairs, right by where we started we can find a locker room. And Detective Brea does not limit her casual theft of medication to ongoing crime scenes but also co-workers' personal lockers. We find our first Medicine 2 since Medicine 1 is the old trash already.

She can also steal someone's CM Vest. Which is demonstrably worse in every way to the KV Vest 1 we got from the Alligator save more PE Energy. EXCEPT, it has the first special effect stat. That AUTO icon means Aya will automatically use the weakest healing Medicine in her inventory if her health gets low. That's incredibly useless and downright a detriment because it triggers at a fairly generous level of low health plus... we can heal with a regenerating pool of psychic magic sauce.

Though, maybe Aya isn't the only one just raiding this locker room. Speculate at your leisure what this cop is creepily coveting hunched over in a locker.

Of course. I wore one to the opera last night.
That is... a little extreme, but I guess it worked out.
I just grabbed another one out of a locker. Just in case... y'know?
<looks back> Ehh...? Wait, did you take that out of MY locker?!
<shrug> See ya.

Anyway, with our Vietnam-era US service rifle in hand to fight crime, we now find a young boy wandering the northern end of the hallway. We'd best investigate him before one of these other beat cops start blasting because they feared for their lives at the menacing five-foot tall 10-year-old in the distance which they claim had a shadow over his hand that looked just like a gun. I'm not going to stop making GBS threads on cops. Get used to it.

...Ahh
Ben!?
<looks down the hallway> Daddy!

Daniel walks over.

Ben, this is Aya.
Sup?
Now, what are you doing here?
<pulls something out of his pocket> Here...
<scratches the back of his head> Tickets? Oh... yeah. The concert... Sorry son, daddy's real busy today. I promise I'll make up for...
Don't you want to check out that Crash Bandicoot stuff on the PlayStation? He looks pretty rad, eh?
<throws the tickets on the ground> ...FINE!

Ben Dollis runs off.

That's not true! I was raised by my father too after my mother died. I'll always be grateful for him.
He was... OK. He got me an NES one Christmas. It had Super Mario Bros. 3 packed in. That was pretty neat!
Yeah, well, HIS mother's still alive…
Oh…

Daniel walks off.

...Awkward...

Up the stairs from where Daniel and Ben had their uncomfortable family moment leads to a lock-up. There is nothing of note there. We're just getting the lay of the land. We may need it in the future.

The door behind the same spot of family conflict is a conference room. I'm having terrible flashbacks to junior high classrooms with those lovely half-desk tables attached to them. Whoever invented those is a dick.

This was before you were assigned here. He kept saying every boy needs a father... So he fought for Ben's custody with Lorraine... his ex-wife. Well, he won, but... being a cop, I doubt if he has time to spend with him.
So, wait... He got custody of his son and left him alone for Christmas Day and is letting him run unattended around mid-town Manhattan? That sounds... not great...
<shrug> I'm notta parent. Ain't my place to say.
Wait. Doesn't Daniel live in like the Bronx...?
I think so.
...I might need to have words with Detective Dollis later...

Oh yeah, Captain Baker was looking for you.

Aya returns to Baker's office. Music: ENDS

Oh, you're not going to call me this time, detective?
Gimme a break. I had a lapse of judgment. I had a NIGHT, OK?!
Fair enough. Get in here.

Aya walks up to his desk.

Yes. We're having a press conference now, and I want you there too.
Me?
That's right. You'll be on national television as the sole survivor of that incident.
I see.
But you only answer when I ask you. The media is just looking for anything to grill us about.
...OK, that was poor phrasing. This is why you let me do the talking.

They may even turn you into a suspect. So you let me do the talking. Understood?
Yes, sir…
OK then. Let's go meet the press.

A short while later.

That is what we currently speculate.
How about accounts of officers and firemen at the scene bursting into flames?
That was...
That was due to a rare, highly flammable chemical which was used to start the fire.
We are tentatively speculating there is a chemical weapon AOE situation spread across the building.
Are you saying the terrorists are making area-of-effect attacks?
Indeed. It's unprecedented deployed in this fashion and we have top men investigating.

Another question. Then how did Detective Brea survive without so much as a minor burn?
That is a result of her quick thinking and training as an officer...
I'm asking HER the question!
She...
She said that my mitochondria were a mutation.

NEW Music: Phrase of Mitochondria
(Very... 20-second loop of urgency.)

Your... mitochondria?
The powerhouse of the cell?!?!
Who said this?

Aya steps forward. Several photos are snapped from the crowd.

But according to a report, Melissa Pearce was killed in the fire!
Melissa did die. Her body had been taken over by this... Eve.
What's this Eve!? Some kind of an alien!?
I dunno. It was kinda like... a witch mutant kind of look... it's hard to describe.
Are you saying supernatural terrorism has returned to Manhattan?!
Should we be worried about another Gozer threat?!
Is Vigo the Carpathian still in check?!

<turns to crowd and holds up arms> People, please! She is very tired, and we are still investigating...

Music: ENDS. Sometime later that day.

I'm telling the truth, sir.

Baker turns back and slams his fist.

You'll only stir up the media and cause people to panic!
Sir, she was only...

The phone rings.

Well, put him through then. This is Captain Baker... What? Meet...? You'll have to speak up! Yes... What?
Yes... All right.

Baker hangs up.

Something about nubile flesh...? I'm not sure.
He was raving about some mito-something... Says he's coming over here.
Might-O?
Is it... Mitochondria?
You mean, that thing in the cell that makes energy from oxygen?
<scratches head> Might have heard about that in school...
It's the powerhouse of the cell.
Some reporter blurted that out too. Is that... a thing...?
That was like the most basic biology class in school.
I dunno. High school was like over half a decade ago. You think I remember social studies or anything? I was a band kid.
Science class. But OK.

Anyway... That's what Eve had said... That it's time for the mitochondria to be set free...
Hey, I just read that some researcher at the museum wrote a new theory on them.
Sir, I'm taking Aya to go talk to this researcher.
I dunno about this mito-cum stuff. We can at least ask some questions
It's the powerhouse of the cell.
...Uh-huh...

Go. Better get there before the media. It may explain that phone call, too. What are you waiting for? Get on it!
<nods> That researcher may be a good lead for us.
Yes, sir. C'mon, Aya!

Music: Out of Phase

Let's go learn some science!

You know it, Eddie. You know it... Tune in next time for science as told by an extremely sinister scientist. As was the style of the time.

Daniel Dollis Portrait - Do you think Danny Glover knows there's an anime version of him in a video game from 1998?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Wonder what instrument Aya played in Band. Also, did she ever go to Band Camp?

No problem here about dissing cops. Fudge the Police!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Wow, Aya is really bad at press conferences.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Dark Id posted:

Don't you want to check out that Crash Bandicoot stuff on the PlayStation? He looks pretty rad, eh?
<throws the tickets on the ground> ...FINE!

should've said Einhander

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Say what you will about the fuzz, but the Chief is taking Aya seriously enough to issue her an assault rifle in response. He doesn't insult or belittle one of his officers, which is more than can be said about a lot of authority figures in these games who are contrary just to make the Hero right in the end.

The Dark Id posted:

She is now wearing the most normal rear end human JRPG protagonist outfit of all time. It's a plain white t-shirt, a leather jacket, and mom jeans. And this is what she'll be wearing for the remainder 95% of the game. She takes off the jacket for serious time at the end game. And that does not track for the rest of the series, I'll tell you what.
TDI? That never happened. It was all a fever dream from eating bad pizza. There are only two PE games, and they are both excellent.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

The Dark Id posted:

Something about nubile flesh...? I'm not sure.

I did NOT need to be reminded of this, thank you very much.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly the Chief is the most reasonable boss in a video game. He treats Aya reasonably despite the batshit of the situation. And he only gets mad at her when she does something explicitly stupid.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

at this point the most plausible scientific explanation about everything we've seen so far is that it's just plain ol' magic

My favorite RPG explanation for magic is and always will be "my cell phone can shoot fireballs and also collapse time and space as long as it has enough battery"

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 22, 2022

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

The Dark Id posted:

...I'll tell you what.

The second game wasn't too bad about that Though the armors got goofy. Did the run for the best armor.

also Torres and Wayne are referenced in FF IX as smiths in one of the cities.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My favorite RPG explanation for magic is and always will be "my cell phone can shoot fireballs and also collapse time and space as long as it has enough battery"

Devil Survivors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

TheGreatCatJames posted:

also Torres and Wayne are referenced in FF IX as smiths in one of the cities.

They run the Synthesis Shop in Lindblum, and I think they even have the same argument about safety vs. awesomeness when Zidane first enters their shop.