Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Keldulas posted:

Devil Survivors?

The Trails series, post-Sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

My favorite RPG explanation for magic is and always will be "my cell phone can shoot fireballs and also collapse time and space as long as it has enough battery"

To be fair, it's the Quartz that does that, they're just using the phone to fudge complex magical rituals with Quartz computers.

And with clockwork in the Trails in the Sky games. Can't forget the Clockwork!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

actually it's "we figured out how to make our fire-shooting spacetime-collapsing magitech send & receive a wireless signal"

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

The Dark Id posted:

Daniel Dollis Portrait - Do you think Danny Glover knows there's an anime version of him in a video game from 1998?

Maybe? I hear Clint Eastwood is a JoJo fan.

Because of the family thing, I'm beginning to see elements of John McClane in Daniel, too.

And I actually love that gag where someone makes a phone call to a person within earshot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hwurmp posted:

actually it's "we figured out how to make our fire-shooting spacetime-collapsing magitech send & receive a wireless signal"

And then we used it to create the internet!

To be fair It's heavily inferred the massive rise in tech level is due to salvaging what's left of the Liber Ark

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

magic really was evil all along

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Wonder what instrument Aya played in Band. Also, did she ever go to Band Camp?

as a former band kid myself i can safely say she was absolutely a tuba player

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There's lots of anime Danny Glovers! He's also in Policenauts!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wish all games had Dark Id style banter

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

Happy Landfill posted:

Wish all games had Dark Id style banter

that's how we got drakengard 3

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Before I saw official art of Ben I thought he was a pale Peter Lorre manlet with a heavy red tuxedo robe.

Also the locker room cop almost looks like it was reused in FF8.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I remember hearing way back when that the Extremely Bogus Science in this game is based on a book of similar name that reflects uhhhh....certain attitudes towards organ transplants in Japan.

Not sure how true that is but it would be interesting to hear about if anyone knew more. Possibly later if it involves spoilers :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I remember hearing way back when that the Extremely Bogus Science in this game is based on a book of similar name that reflects uhhhh....certain attitudes towards organ transplants in Japan.

Not sure how true that is but it would be interesting to hear about if anyone knew more. Possibly later if it involves spoilers :v:

Entirely true. Parasite Eve the novel is a trip, especially later on…

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I mean, it's a VERY VERY LOOSELY licensed game. thedarkid mentionned it in the first post, thats why the game we dont talk about couldnt be called parasite eve (blank) cuz square enix no longer had the license with the author.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Broadly speaking the concept is the same (mitochondria) and the antagonists are both named Eve for Reasons, but this game doesn’t have a meat Eve forming genitalia to masturbate with so it’s definitely better than the source material.

The distrust of organ donation in Japan comes from a number of factors which relate to it being a different culture, primarily a mistrust of the concept of brain death and religious sentiments.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Namtab posted:

The distrust of organ donation in Japan comes from a number of factors which relate to it being a different culture, primarily a mistrust of the concept of brain death and religious sentiments.

Mankind was never meant to live in space!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

Zeon Zum Deikun would disagree.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The O'Neill cylinder is clearly mankind's natural habitat.

TheGreatCatJames
Nov 19, 2020

Captain Walker posted:

Yes we were! We were meant to live in an ant farm in space! DON'T TAP THE GLASS!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sum Gai posted:

So how much is the chest RNG worth caring about? Is there anything worth reloading over?

It's relevant (but not necessarily run-breaking) in the speed run but not so much in casual play. At worst you'll miss out on a stat boost here and there or you'll get a slightly worse weapon than you could have.

Speaking of, my first time ever seeing this game played was watching the speed run in a marathon a few years ago. It's actually pretty interesting. Dude even did it blindfolded a few times.

I eventually got it on my vita and and I have to say, imo it's held up better than any other ps1 Square game besides FF9. Unfortunately I got several seconds into PE2 and immediately turned it off. I hate tank controls so much.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Renzuko posted:

I mean, it's a VERY VERY LOOSELY licensed game. thedarkid mentionned it in the first post, thats why the game we dont talk about couldnt be called parasite eve (blank) cuz square enix no longer had the license with the author.

According to the Wikipedia page for the novel, the author was actually really impressed with how well the novel was translated in to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As a sequel to the book it’s fairly faithful to the concept