Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

The Dark Id posted:

What is a mitochondria?

The powerhouse of the cell.

This game contributed at least a little bit to me eventually becoming a molecular biologist. The science in the game is more ..enthusiastic than accurate, but it's a lot of fun all the same.

Very excited to see a TDI Let's Play of this one - I just replayed it myself last year, starting on Christmas Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Foxfire_ posted:

Kid-me's memories of this game don't include Aya running really slowly. Did Ashely Riot also mosey? Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve go together in my head since they're the two mostly standalone Squaresoft real-time-with-pause-and-wireframe PS1 RPGs

Id is correct; she does move pretty slowly.

I haven't played Vagrant Story since it came out, but I think Ashley Riot moves more quickly. It also feels different, since Ashley is a polygonal character in polygonal rooms that are generally pretty small. But Aya is a polygonal character moving in pre-rendered backgrounds that can be quite large in later areas, so it takes minutes to move across one screen.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

The Dark Id posted:

Episode III: Arise Within You

And if we crank the zoom and enhance of a police procedural show dial up to 11 to enhance to the molecular level we can see a cell rapidly mutating and sticking tendrils into nearby cells, darkening their hue in the process as it makes screeching... cell noises. Now, I am no expert on biology. But I have played every Resident Evil game and watched a remarkable amount of edgy '80s and '90s bio-mutant oriented anime to have a fairly educated guess into this mutation cellular poo poo being, as say in scientific terms: "A loving bad scene!"

I have studied biology for a while and this is exactly the right way to watch the Parasite Eve cellular cutscenes. They're more ... impressionistic than being about particular cellular structures. They look neat as heck, though.