Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah but like who used that.

I'm sticking with Friendster as the social media genesis as I'm a decrepit hipster and remember the summer when every Glasgow scene kid used it.

Local dialup BBSs were totally social media, just not yet industrialized. Cottage industry social media, sure, but definitely social media. What they were not were the mass advertising and telemetry platforms that modern social media is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I haven't watched The Watch - my attention span is too shot for much TV these days - but I always thought complaints about it not being true to the books were flawed from the outset, because, well, if you want the books you can read them. Most of Pratchett's best writing isn't dialogue and isn't stuff that could really be translated to the screen at all AFAICT. I'm OK with adaptations in a new medium going wildly off-piste - in fact I really don't want adaptions of books to supplant how I imagined the source material.

This was always my favourite thing about Douglas Adams, he made almost no attempt to maintain continuity between the various adaptations of HHGTTG because he recognised that they're completely different mediums and so you can pretty much had to tear it up and start from scratch (although it definitely helped that the Guide itself provided him with a cheat code to put in huge amounts of jokes that would be impossible to incorporate into dialogue). He kept most of the important characters and concepts, and most of the best jokes, but felt free to completely obliterate everything else to make it work in the new medium.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

I think we went over this ITT a few months back. IMO social media is specifically something where you primarily follow a person/account and it shows you (in theory, algorithms etc. aside) all of the things they post. Forums are where you typically follow threads, topics etc. I have no idea what other people ITT post about in other parts of the forums except when I just happen to notice them in other threads. With social media you're sort of signing up to someone's whole output rather than following specific topics.

Also maybe some stuff about sharing other peoples' output to your followers etc.

I think that's straightforward enough but I imagine I'm about to get Diogenes'd to gently caress. I know for example that facebook has "groups" which are more akin to regular forums and twitter has "topics" or whatever you can follow which doesn't strictly fit the above definition but I'd also argue that they are not the *core functionality* of those sites.

Anyway I also understand the distinction in that effectively when you post on social media you are still posting in public and the difference in terms of libelling somebody or whatever makes some sort of sense.

Yeah I realise now that I should have put *legal* definition of social media etc, because people are getting sidetracked into philosophical discussions about what is and isn't web 2.0 or whatever and the whole point I was making was that social media, no matter how you define it, belongs in a set including just about everything else on the internet that isn't a specifically-addressed one-to-one communication (email, chat, etc) and definitely *not* in a set that includes phone calls and letters.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Zalakwe posted:

This is a real shame as despite coming from despite darkest Mordor I have always considered Raith good eggs. Seems like many of their supporters are at least. Surprises me the backlash against Clyde wasn't at a similar scale, maybe it's just because Raith are a bigger club. Anyway, I think they need to climb down from this but they won't reverse all the damage.

One thing I was wondering about the expressing remorse bit, obviously it would be the right thing to do but wouldn't that open him to a criminal charnge?

Anyway McPake out.

Yeah, Raith are in a battle for the playoff spot to get in the top flight, Clyde were League 2 when he signed with them, although there was a bit of backlash at the time (poo poo SNP member John Mason declared he'd not go back to Broadwood).

As for if some remorse would be legally admissible for a court case? No idea but I would hope so.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I should probably watch The Watch just because it seems stupid to comment on people's complaints when I haven't, but if I do, I'll try not to let myself think it's bad just cos it's not like the books. If it's bad just cos it's bad, that's fine, a lot of bad things exist

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It does feel sometimes like Eddie Izzard is taking the piss, especially with the whole "I don't care about pronouns and JKR isn't transphobic" thing, but I don't know enough about whether that was a fair representation of what they said, only that it did understandably cause upset.

Why Glinner cares so much about whether Eddie Izzard is a woman or not is a different matter.

On the Joe Rogan podcast with Eddie (loving excellent interview) Eddie says that a large part of why she (I think she recently decided to take she pronouns?) enjoyed wearing wearing clothes from the "women's" section in the 70's was she got a kick out of getting in fights with bigots when she went out.

She talks a lot about being trans in the 70's in that interview. She doesn't say it explicitly but the "izzard" seems like a major ingredient in what made it possible for her to come out. The poetic justice of decking fash while wearing a dress was 20 year old Eddie's idea of a good night out.

e: basically yes/no Eddie Izzard is taking the piss. Hyper-confrontationalism mixed with giving less than 0 fucks about what others think is partly why she was able to come out in the first place.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 1, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, Raith are in a battle for the playoff spot to get in the top flight, Clyde were League 2 when he signed with them, although there was a bit of backlash at the time (poo poo SNP member John Mason declared he'd not go back to Broadwood).

As for if some remorse would be legally admissible for a court case? No idea but I would hope so.

I think for remorse to be genuine it has to involve admitting what you've done, which would definitely be a problem here.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I should probably watch The Watch just because it seems stupid to comment on people's complaints when I haven't, but if I do, I'll try not to let myself think it's bad just cos it's not like the books. If it's bad just cos it's bad, that's fine, a lot of bad things exist

I thought it was bad because it was too much like the books; well, too many of the books at once.

I don't know if they'll make more - the last episode did have sequel hooks - but by raiding plot points from everywhere they'll have to raid more plot points to fill those holes when they get there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bug Squash posted:

I don't think anyone who is transphobic or liable to complain about gender swaps would go anywhere close to a Discworld property.

Didn't the TERF crowd already have a run up on Discworld by claiming that the way magic is handled in it means that Sir Terry was sympathetic to their cause? It took his daughter yelling at them for them to move on iirc. One of those moments where you can't possibly convey how stupid people are being because they just have no conception of how insanely wrong about every single thing they are

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah the Cheery of the TV show is not at all the Cheery of the books, and dwarfs in general were handled strangely. That's one of those things that would be fine as a standalone, but felt odd as someone who's read Discworld. The musical numbers were unexpectedly fun though.

In episode 1 I was pretty put off by Keith Flint as Vimes, but he definitely grew on me a lot. Haven't seen any other Pratchett TV adaptations, and it's been a long time since I read Truckers, but that sounds like something for a lazy afternoon some time.

e:

I agree, the best way to watch it is as its own thing. My partner hasn't read Discworld and enjoyed it a lot.
The cosgrove hall cartoons are worth a watch imo. Cosgrove hall is better remembered for stuff like dangermouse, and theres a definite budget feel to their animation. The the discworld adaptations suffer a bit from wonkey/dodgey animation but they got christopher lee to voice Death so who cares.

Their stop motion stuff is really, really charming. I grew up with their adaptation of the Wind in the Willows. David Jason as Mr Toad was great.

Truckers is a great fit for stop motion and a really great story in general. Looking back on it I really love how it handles religion. We see a population faced with the reality that their belief system is completely flawed and how they have to adapt and reshape it. The scene with the Abbot (voiced with incredible gravitas by Michael Hordern) talking to the Thing always sticks in my mind. This dying old religious figure, genuinely listening and expanding the cosmology of his beliefs to account for the fact that his 'god' was destroying what they had previously understood was all of creation.

Its also kinda wild watching a kids show from 1992, they didn't pull punches in how grim the opening of thecstory is at all.

Idk if its available streaming anywhere but it did get a dvd release a while back.

Also the theme tune is burned into by brain next to the one used in hitchhikers. That might just be my 90s nostalgia though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2e_SCHa8zw

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This was always my favourite thing about Douglas Adams, he made almost no attempt to maintain continuity between the various adaptations of HHGTTG because he recognised that they're completely different mediums and so you can pretty much had to tear it up and start from scratch (although it definitely helped that the Guide itself provided him with a cheat code to put in huge amounts of jokes that would be impossible to incorporate into dialogue). He kept most of the important characters and concepts, and most of the best jokes, but felt free to completely obliterate everything else to make it work in the new medium.

It's interesting - if predictable - to see how lots of fans of The Witcher Series of Video Games really disliked the second season of the TV show.
"RIP Witcher lore", comments Youtuber who is a huge fan of the games that ripped up, rewrote and wholly invented large sections of lore to make a good game.

I never managed to watch past the second episode of Game of Thrones because it stuck too closely to the books.

If you're reinventing an IP for a new format, you should deviate from what went before in any event, because why the gently caress am I going to watch this just to revisit plot beats I already know, but you should also make the best thing you can for that format even if that involves taking liberties with the source material, because otherwise why bother paying to use the IP?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't the TERF crowd already have a run up on Discworld by claiming that the way magic is handled in it means that Sir Terry was sympathetic to their cause? It took his daughter yelling at them for them to move on iirc. One of those moments where you can't possibly convey how stupid people are being because they just have no conception of how insanely wrong about every single thing they are

I have a vague memory of some people apparently thinking the whole dwarf gender thing was somehow agreeing with them, which is utterly nonsensical, and as learnincurve pointed out, it hard to parse monstrous regiment as anything other than being explicitly about how rigid gender presentation is stupid and people should be allowed to be who they want to be, pronoun switching and all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I quite enjoy the The Witcher show. It's nowhere near as good as the games and it's pretty dumb, but it's good clean dumb fantasy fun.

It's like HD Hercules or Xena.

Other telly I have recently enjoyed:

Station Eleven (seriously, watch this, it's really wonderful)
Yellowjackets (gets pretty dumb pretty quickly but very entertaining imo)

deano
Sep 6, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/libby_brooks/status/1488537275055095812?t=di33Ka38G2U63UYMhz5iRw&s=19

One of the big stories in Scotland today has been this: Raith Rovers have lost both their home & away kit sponsors, I believe 2 members of their board, the supporters liason officer, they won't even have ball boys at their next match.

For those unfamiliar, the Procurator Fiscal decided there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute so the survivor took the case to civil court & won 6 figures (I think £50k from each of the rapists).

I think reform & rehabilitation have to be at the core of a justice system & Goodwillie hasn't shown a jot of remorse or even accepted that he did anything wrong.

It's a horrible story & Raith seem.to have done themselves possible long-term damage with not just sponsors but also a lot of fans talking about not going back

as a dundee utd fan gently caress this utter cunrt, he's an utter PoS. Ill take a 6 or 12 cause fk him.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

dp

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Personally absolutely loved The Watch- the ‘Steampunk with emphasis on the punk’ aesthetic seemed to be basically laser targeted at me. I just stopped comparing it to the books and enjoyed it as it’s own thing.

On another note, am I alone in being somehow relieved that Douglas Adams passed when he did, with his legacy intact? From reading around about him and the like, I very much get the impression that he’d have got a Twitter and made an absolute arse of himself in one way or another- be it extreme atheism, trans issues, misogyny in general or just being an aggro prick. He was a genius writer but as opposed to Pterry never seemed to be a particularly good or nice person with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think being mean to sex criminals is a probatable offence unless it's biden.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Truckers was definitely on YouTube a few years ago. I watched in a fit of nostalgia for the copies recorded off the telly onto VHS at my grandparents house (with one episode missing.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

It's interesting - if predictable - to see how lots of fans of The Witcher Series of Video Games really disliked the second season of the TV show.
"RIP Witcher lore", comments Youtuber who is a huge fan of the games that ripped up, rewrote and wholly invented large sections of lore to make a good game.
My favourite thing about Witcher S2 was they gave Triss red hair, explicitly mentioned that her hair had gone red in character, and basically then turned back to the bigots whining that she wasn't a redhead like in the games as if to say "Go on. Why don't you say what you don't like about the casting now?"

Barry Foster posted:

I quite enjoy the The Witcher show. It's nowhere near as good as the games and it's pretty dumb, but it's good clean dumb fantasy fun.
Speaking of, I can't decide if I like the Vox Machina cartoon or not. It might just be that it was overhyped or that I don't generally get animation, but there feels like there's something missing. It's also very distracting knowing everything about the characters and actors so it might just be I'm not watching it properly.

Would be interested to know what a fresh pair of eyes who know nothing about Crit Role would think about it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I didn't know it was out yet, so I'll give it a watch at some point.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

sebzilla posted:

Truckers was definitely on YouTube a few years ago. I watched in a fit of nostalgia for the copies recorded off the telly onto VHS at my grandparents house (with one episode missing.)
Apparently the DVD is selling for like £50 now so I'm lucky i grabbed it for like £7 off play.com when it came out. I'd hope theres a decent dvd rip floating around somewhere. Maybe I should dig out and back up my copy...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Camrath posted:

On another note, am I alone in being somehow relieved that Douglas Adams passed when he did, with his legacy intact?
I wouldn't say untouched, Mostly Harmless was written during a particularly bad bout of depression which is why it assassinates anything good that happened in the previous 4 books in canon. Not his fault because depression, but still.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Party chat:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think being mean to sex criminals is a probatable offence unless it's biden.

Using oval office on most of the forums will get you a probe but I think we and the aus thread have a pass.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Good Omens adaptation is really good. For discworld you can't beat the Cosgrive Hall stuff-- Soul Music especially is superb.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Overminty posted:

Using oval office on most of the forums will get you a probe but I think we and the aus thread have a pass.

Ireland too

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
'The Watch' should be deriled and ignored imo.
It's the standard 'wait until someone talented dies, get their IP, and poo poo out something terrible out to gleam fame and money from the famous dead person' method of TV/movie scumbaggery.

The Watch was in production while Terry was still alive, with Rhianna Pratchett and their own company working on it.
When they signed over the rights, they were ignored and had no input whatsoever.

It's not a labour of love or homage.
It's a quick cash in.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

It's like HD Hercules or Xena.

Other telly I have recently enjoyed:

Station Eleven (seriously, watch this, it's really wonderful)
Yellowjackets (gets pretty dumb pretty quickly but very entertaining imo)

I've been very much enjoying the Netflix Snowpiercer series. It is insanely stupid and don't ever think too hard about how a 1000-odd car train actually functions or how the characters are seemingly able to shoot back and forward between the tail and the engine multiple times an episode, but it's very fun and while they do it with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer I do enjoy the radical class consciousness it has going on, which thankfully it never gets too liberal with outside of a few weird plot points. Plus you also get to see Sean Bean absolutely chewing the scenery in the best way possible.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Watch stuff was worse than Doctor Who. I was all up for a radical reimagining of the Disc but it was just relentlessly dumb

kingturnip posted:

I never managed to watch past the second episode of Game of Thrones because it stuck too closely to the books.

Maybe a shame because this only happens for S1. Then there's a few seasons of taking the book material and improving on it in a fairly interesting way, then the show runs out of books and the last couple seasons are formless dogshite. Actually, maybe you're better off

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I genuinely don't know how I stuck with Game of Thrones until it got good, because after it ended my housemate wanted to start it, so I went back to S1 and good god in heaven it is complete and total dogshit and very starkly so compared to where it ended up. It looks and feels archaic like something out of the 90s, filmed in the most blandly uninteresting way imaginable, and every character is competing to do the worst faux-English accent they can muster like they had a bet on. I know the first season of a show can be rough, but woof.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^jfc what is wrong with you

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been very much enjoying the Netflix Snowpiercer series. It is insanely stupid and don't ever think too hard about how a 1000-odd car train actually functions or how the characters are seemingly able to shoot back and forward between the tail and the engine multiple times an episode, but it's very fun and while they do it with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer I do enjoy the radical class consciousness it has going on, which thankfully it never gets too liberal with outside of a few weird plot points. Plus you also get to see Sean Bean absolutely chewing the scenery in the best way possible.
Main problem I have with it has been that since the moment Sean Bean turns up it just becomes so completely obvious that not a single other character in it has a shred of charisma between them.

There's a few good characters in there despite the charisma void (her off Labyrinth was never supposed to be charismatic, for example. & the hard Russian guy is well cool), but jfc Layton, was having a conversation about the characters in that show before starting the new series & I honestly forgot he even exists, he's the main character :psyduck:

I'll still keep watching it tho cuz the setting's cool, & Sean Bean. Pretty much all style & no substance though imo. Like all Netflix.

Might still nope out if they keep expecting me to remember stuff & pay attention tbh, it's not good enough to put effort in.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I genuinely don't know how I stuck with Game of Thrones until it got good, because after it ended my housemate wanted to start it, so I went back to S1 and good god in heaven it is complete and total dogshit and very starkly so compared to where it ended up. It looks and feels archaic like something out of the 90s, filmed in the most blandly uninteresting way imaginable, and every character is competing to do the worst faux-English accent they can muster like they had a bet on. I know the first season of a show can be rough, but woof.

Are you loving insane, this is the exact opposite of a correct GoT take. The first few seasons were incredible and the last few shat the bed completely.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The only good TV show is Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I worked two twelve hour shifts over the weekend. On the second shift I'd walked over 30,000 steps and handled a lot of heavy equipment (25kg being the lightest and 40kg being the norm) as had everyone else in my gang. Towards the end of the shift when all the actual work was done the decided that we should do some shoveling and frankly were we just too exhausted to do it. Anyway we started doing some but after 20 minutes decided to take a long break and I sat there thinking that really you can only get about 6 hours of useful work out of someone on my job. After that it's a very steep decline, I think another 2 hours of vaguely reasonable work and after that you're lucky to get anything much. On the end of the shift one of the lads was so tried that he didn't have the wherewithal to lift his leg over the rail and tripped. Fatigue is very dangerous, combine that with the fact we're all dehydrated and it's a surprise more serious accidents don't happen.

Anyone know if studies have been done on this and what the outcomes were, if any?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The 2013 snowpiercer movie is so good I didn't even notice I'd missed half the plot because the DVD i bought was from a region that assumed you understood korean so simply didn't include subtitles for all the korean dialog.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^jfc what is wrong with you

Main problem I have with it has been that since the moment Sean Bean turns up it just becomes so completely obvious that not a single other character in it has a shred of charisma between them.

I haven't seen Snowpiercer, but I remember this distinctly with Once Upon a Time, which stars a whole bunch of standard TV actors, and Robert Carlisle. You can just get absorbed in the show during most scenes and be satisfied with a fairly twee soap opera about Snow White and Prince Charming, but any scene Robert Carlisle is in, suddenly everyone else seems like they're nine-year-olds doing the nativity at school. He just acts everyone off the set.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The 3 Musketeers is like that. Apparently Mads Mikkelsen did not get the memo that this is the kind of film that James Corden is in, and turns in a genuinely good performance.

Orlando Bloom however made the brave acting choice to devour the entire loving set.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

The 2013 snowpiercer movie is so good I didn't even notice I'd missed half the plot because the DVD i bought was from a region that assumed you understood korean so simply didn't include subtitles for all the korean dialog.

This is also the case on Netflix, if you didn't enable subtitles then all the korean scenes were unsubbed. Maybe it's intentional?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The 3 Musketeers is like that. Apparently Mads Mikkelsen did not get the memo that this is the kind of film that James Corden is in, and turns in a genuinely good performance.

Orlando Bloom however made the brave acting choice to devour the entire loving set.

I think my favourite scene chewing is Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons. I haven't seen the movie, only compilations of his scenes, and they are all excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCGeOtjIHQ

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Phillby posted:

One episode of Breaking Bad has like 20 minutes of Spanish dialogue and the version I downloaded (before it was all on Netflix) didn't have subtitles. I assumed that it wasn't supposed to since the scene does such a good job of conveying what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah I realise now that I should have put *legal* definition of social media etc, because people are getting sidetracked into philosophical discussions about what is and isn't web 2.0 or whatever and the whole point I was making was that social media, no matter how you define it, belongs in a set including just about everything else on the internet that isn't a specifically-addressed one-to-one communication (email, chat, etc) and definitely *not* in a set that includes phone calls and letters.

Your point is good, and the discussion of what is and isn't social media is interesting, but where I get confused is things like Whatsapp and Telegram. I keep seeing them referred to as social media in the press, while to me they're just chat apps equivalent to SMS but fancier. Maybe the odd group with family, or to organise something, or in the street (which is for important things ONLY and not CHATTING about CATS :argh: ...apparently). Small groups of people you know, in any case.

But I guess people are making massive groups of semi-strangers and turning into Facebook but worse?