Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 20 days!)

ThomasPaine posted:

Are you loving insane, this is the exact opposite of a correct GoT take. The first few seasons were incredible and the last few shat the bed completely.

nah I remember thinking the same thing. It would be hard to look at it clearly going back now having the whole show in my head, but watching S1 as it aired I remember thinking it was both kind of cheesey and very sleazy. like a B show. I dropped off in early S2 and only went back later. s3 and 4 are really the peak of the show. s5 and 6 are a step down with some highlights, and then 7 and 8 are basically crap with a couple of cool battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's obvious GoT was working with much smaller budgets in its earlier seasons but honestly I loved all of it till they stopped having a pre-written script to lift wholesale and tried to fit three books' worth of plot into like 8 episodes

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Convex posted:

This is also the case on Netflix, if you didn't enable subtitles then all the korean scenes were unsubbed. Maybe it's intentional?

Oh really? I assumed it wasn't supposed to be like that because of the business with the translator device. You hear only a couple of lines in the computer voice begore it fades away, it felt like you were supposed to accept that as the reason the characters could understand each other and move over to reading subtitles because waiting for the translator would ruin the pacing.

It was made for Koreans so maybe that was overlooked for the english release? My dvd is deffo some silly region though lol.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the story was obviously better even at the start, and season one can be forgiven for doing a LOT of setup. But there's a real workmanlike approach to the way it is filmed (like it's aping the tone of period dramas, maybe?), and characters like Tyrion get a lot of rough edges sanded off between seasons that hit you full in the face if you go straight back to the start. Massive tonal whiplash with a major cheese factor that I kind of forgot was there. I guess it's kind of charming? Plus it's definitely better than whatever the hell the last few episodes were meant to be.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1488581553642954753

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The 3 Musketeers is like that. Apparently Mads Mikkelsen did not get the memo that this is the kind of film that James Corden is in, and turns in a genuinely good performance.

Orlando Bloom however made the brave acting choice to devour the entire loving set.

3 musketeers is one of my favourite trash films. Orlando bloom out fashioning the king of France in every scene is amazing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So they're outright saying he's a con artist or a cult leader?

Wonder if he'll go Jim Jones if he gets in legal trouble.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

I worked two twelve hour shifts over the weekend. On the second shift I'd walked over 30,000 steps and handled a lot of heavy equipment (25kg being the lightest and 40kg being the norm) as had everyone else in my gang. Towards the end of the shift when all the actual work was done the decided that we should do some shoveling and frankly were we just too exhausted to do it. Anyway we started doing some but after 20 minutes decided to take a long break and I sat there thinking that really you can only get about 6 hours of useful work out of someone on my job. After that it's a very steep decline, I think another 2 hours of vaguely reasonable work and after that you're lucky to get anything much. On the end of the shift one of the lads was so tried that he didn't have the wherewithal to lift his leg over the rail and tripped. Fatigue is very dangerous, combine that with the fact we're all dehydrated and it's a surprise more serious accidents don't happen.

Anyone know if studies have been done on this and what the outcomes were, if any?

Was he badly hurt?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors...ift%20patterns.

quote:

Key principles in fatigue
Fatigue needs to be managed, like any other hazard.
It is important not to underestimate the risks of fatigue. For example, the incidence of accidents and injuries has been found to be higher on night shifts, after a succession of shifts, when shifts are long and when there are inadequate breaks.
The legal duty is on employers to manage risks from fatigue, irrespective of any individual's willingness to work extra hours or preference for certain shift patterns for social reasons. Compliance with the Working Time Regulations alone is insufficient to manage the risks of fatigue.

bunch of links on research etc

Managing rail staff fatigue (this is from 2013 so not sure if there's a newer one).

https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/10934
I've lost track (pun not intended) of the infrastructure maintenance arrangements now. Are you employed by contractor or by Network Rail?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

So Rishi was a close contact & Liz later tested positive. Not bad for a photo of 4 people.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

Not bad for a photo of 4 people.

I dunno as far as photos of 4 people go? Its pretty bad.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The fabulous Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine, Matching Mole, etc) has quit the Musicians' Union after 50 years because of their failure to support the vote to restore the whip to Jeremy Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/duduschka/status/1488204308407541760

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmQKhoEw2IQ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
trying to murder the rest of the Tory front bench is the most moral thing Rishi's ever done

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Lmao this Savile stuff is going to run and run and the Labour Right are so thick and politically gormless that they have absolutely no idea how to deal with it beyond yelling "It's not true! It's not it's not it's not!!" I know it's loving childish but I'm all for watching the same shifty half-arsed smears the bastards used on Corbyn drag Keith into forever being remembered as a nonce apologist. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Prole posted:

Lmao this Savile stuff is going to run and run and the Labour Right are so thick and politically gormless that they have absolutely no idea how to deal with it beyond yelling "It's not true! It's not it's not it's not!!" I know it's loving childish but I'm all for watching the same shifty half-arsed smears the bastards used on Corbyn drag Keith into forever being remembered as a nonce apologist. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

:thunkgun:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1488607668013084675?s=21

Is it not worth going on the attack to the point you promise life in jail for this kind of negligent wastage and counter lie the Saville stuff by saying Boris has stolen it from the uk tax payer

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
One of these

https://twitter.com/govindajeggy/status/1488519378601746436

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Was he badly hurt?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/humanfactors...ift%20patterns.

Managing rail staff fatigue (this is from 2013 so not sure if there's a newer one).

https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/10934
I've lost track (pun not intended) of the infrastructure maintenance arrangements now. Are you employed by contractor or by Network Rail?

Yer this is something the HSE is increasingly interested in and Bessantj please raise concerns with a union rep.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

stev posted:

One episode of Breaking Bad has like 20 minutes of Spanish dialogue and the version I downloaded (before it was all on Netflix) didn't have subtitles. I assumed that it wasn't supposed to since the scene does such a good job of conveying what's going on.

I think this happens a lot with subtitles on streaming services. If the film already has subtitles but the audio is mostly Ebglish it can get confused when you switch on the subtitles and blank the parts that are supposed to be subbed.
I n the pre-pandemic times my wife and I watched Atomic Blonde on Netflix with the subtitles on since the house we were staying in had a good TV but crap built in speakers.

And in any scene where all the Eastern Germans are speaking German (Russian?) there was no subtitles. So you had no clue what they were saying.

And I thought that this was masterful story telling. You had this confusing spy film and you are shown glimpses of what the bad guys are up to, but can't be sure what they are doing.
Particularly the last scene where the main character and all the villains are just speaking in Russian and it seems like some bold Cinematic experiment.

Then afterwards we discovered no, there was supposed to be English subtitles there and all the magic was lost.

Also last year Amazon Prime Video went through this annoying period where when any English text appeared on the screen (like characters reading books or looking at signs) German text appeared over it.
And there was no way to switch it off. They eventually patched it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

willie_dee posted:

Is it not worth going on the attack to the point you promise life in jail for this kind of negligent wastage and counter lie the Saville stuff by saying Boris has stolen it from the uk tax payer

Pat McFudden

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

willie_dee posted:

I'm not sure at what point I gave up hope, but this reminded me that yeah, I have.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Jeherrin posted:

I'm not sure at what point I gave up hope, but this reminded me that yeah, I have.

If you add the ~£40 billion that was wasted on stolen for test and trace it's the next four years of NI receipts lol

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1488532727368409097

Also this: https://twitter.com/bloggerheads/status/1488606907124363265

In other news, the Torygraph is drip-twisting the knife

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1488618164128727040

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 2, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

kyojin posted:

If you add the ~£40 billion that was wasted on stolen for test and trace it's the next four years of NI receipts lol

Is that test and trace thing still running? Does anyone actually have the app on their phone anymore? I've only been contacted once and it was via the records at a pub I visited. I never even got pinged by the app...

Mad to think how much open corruption and embezzlement is just going to go ignored because Boris had some parties.

Prole fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 2, 2022

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Off topic, but Baldur's Gate I & II and Icewind Dale & Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition bundles are on offer on Switch right now and I'm 12 years old again. Can't put it down.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a track and trace literal cowboy rang me to ask why I didn't have a boss. I said because I can't be tamed and he said he respected that alot and apologised and said his goodbyes

it was something like that

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An old cowboy went riding out
One track and tracing day
Upon a ridge he rested
As he went along his way

When all at once a mighty herd
Of led eyed cars he saw
Plowing through the ragged skies
And up the cloudy draw

Their bat'ries were on fire
And their frames weren't made of steel
Their horns were goat and fart sounds
And their price tag he could feel

A bolt of fear went through him
As they crashed into a bus
For he saw the drivers coming hard
Phones on r/elonmusk

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm finding this phrase of people saying "We've been taken for mugs" and similar thoughts a bit weird. Surely "taken for mugs" implies you have been duped into doing something stupid. But those taking the covid precautions were not doing anything stupid, so they weren't mugs.

If you are doing something that is right, but someone else doesn't do it / appreciate it etc, it doesn't make you a mug.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine the suggestion is that if everyone else doesn't give a poo poo and works to undermine everything you do, then you are a fool for putting yourself out.

Which is generally true if you don't subscribe to a virtue ethics kind of understanding of the world.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm finding this phrase of people saying "We've been taken for mugs" and similar thoughts a bit weird. Surely "taken for mugs" implies you have been duped into doing something stupid. But those taking the covid precautions were not doing anything stupid, so they weren't mugs.

If you are doing something that is right, but someone else doesn't do it / appreciate it etc, it doesn't make you a mug.

If you let a loved one die without seeing them because the rules were so impossibly immutable that they could never be broken.. then this... then yeah you feel a fool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would imagine the suggestion is that if everyone else doesn't give a poo poo and works to undermine everything you do, then you are a fool for putting yourself out.

Which is generally true if you don't subscribe to a virtue ethics kind of understanding of the world.
The other take I've seen too often is that the government knew it wasn't serious and were forcing all the rules on us for a laugh or something, which doesn't fit at all with the cabinet being more than happy to let us all take it on the chin while the hospitals collapsed until the public health boards shouted some sense into them and even then they evidently didn't care in private.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's also an option yeah, if they aren't taking it seriously it undermines the idea that it should have been taken seriously.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it’s more “the government must think that we are mugs for going along with their rules while they ignore them.”

At least that’s how I’m interpreting it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Cool that nothing means anything and they'll suffer zero consequences though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The news should just follow all items about Boris with the clip of Doon Mackichan from Brass Eye saying "We must catch him, he really is a poo poo."

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Genuinely angry the papers aren't making bank on 'saville row' headlines implying stitch-ups and alter(c)ations

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
'Saville row: Sir Keith mishandled suits'

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

It's kind of funny that everyone's Very Mad about this Saville remark, but there's been absolutely nothing about Boris accusing the Labour frontbenchers of taking drugs. You'd think someone in the media would have picked up on that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1488797166755794947

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Things are still bad and all, but not that long ago the polls had the Torys with a 20 point lead despite constant scandals. And you know there's only going to be more scandals because the PM is a dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

idk Boris has always seemed to have a lot of confidentce in himself