Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's a difference in definition of what 'social media' is. Is it the nature of the thing, what it's meant for? Or is it partly a function of how many people use it and how ubiquitous it is? Stop rowing over something that just depends on how you personally define a term, loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Good Omens adaptation is really good. For discworld you can't beat the Cosgrive Hall stuff-- Soul Music especially is superb.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah it's great.

I've only recently got turned on to Folding Ideas, I really enjoy his videos.

Ooo if you haven't check out the one he did about flat earthers, if only because the related video of his lake experiment is really beautiful and profound.

Also the lake is called Lake Minnewanka.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Apropos of nothing I just remembered that a long time back, when I worked behind the deli counter at the Cambridge Sainsbury's, I was cutting a bit of cheese for someone when the wire snapped and lashed back across my hand. It wasn't a serious injury but it split the skin and blood went everywhere, and in the moment when I was standing frozen, trying to work out what to do first, the customer - 50s-ish white lady, of course - said angrily "I hope you're not going to sell me that bit!" She was not joking. It was all I could do not to tell her that in that moment I really wasn't loving concerned with her cheese.

I never want to work in any kind of food service again. People are horrible.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My new manager is 1) 24 years old and 2) adores After Life. I had to be very diplomatic about my Gervais opinions.

Got an interview for a new job in a couple of weeks! Unrelated to her, though, she's all right, she just has strange taste.

When I mentioned Meat Loaf died she said 'Is that a person?' in honest bewilderment. fuckin infant baby

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

When I got my PPI refunds they were cheques.

Mine were just deposited into my bank account but then they both came from that same account, so

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Explained ZX Spectrum games to my mid-20s boss the other day. She was astounded. Yes, you had to wait for many minutes, and sometimes it just wouldn't work for some arcane reason, but you see, we had no choice

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

A bit late, but the guy who gets greased isn't the robot's creator is he? Judging by his craven behaviour and selection for the display itself, he's the junior person in the room. He's the guy that's overwhelmed with pride at going to the big boys meeting, when he's only really there so his boss doesn't have to carry the lever arch files. A comparatively innocent bystander, basically.

Yep!

I saw Robocop at my uncles house when I was 7 and it gave me nightmares. Not any of the other gore, just this scene. When he puts the gun down but it won't stop anyway. Still gives me chills.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love St Albans Abbey because it was built over about a thousand years and you can see where chunks of it fell down and they put up a replacement bit in whatever was the style at the time, so it's this very glaring patchwork of non-matching windows over centuries.

Count the window types, lmao

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's such a beautiful place, I really do loving love it there. Other cathedrals look fake to me now. Oh look at you with your 'used the same stone all over' and 'respected the original design', fancypants.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Well now I just want to watch From Beyond again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Prole posted:

Maybe I'm overreacting but I never would. I'd rather go without whatever I've left in there than to be seen entering my place of work for any reason whatsoever if we were on strike.

Why, though? How does it damage the strike to go in and get your book? It's not facilitating work, it's not helping the work happen. I'm not being a dick, I honestly don't understand.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm getting close to mine being written off without ever having earned enough to pay anything and sometimes the company sends me hopeful little notes all ' you can make payments if you want any time!' Nah I'm all right thanks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The chippie on the corner - every few years it closes down, gets gutted, all equipment removed, then reopens shortly after as another, slightly rearranged chippie, like the counter is the other way round, but it's always the same guys in there. And they only take cash. Definitely money laundering right?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

bump_fn posted:

who cares if a local business is money laundering or selling smack out the back don’t be a narc

who the gently caress says I'm going to be a narc, gently caress off

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

bump_fn posted:

whoa chill out i was making a joke

Okay no worries. I was having fun speculating that's all and you struck a nerve.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably not money laundering - food service has much higher overheads than other retail, and stock in- and outflow is much more tightly controlled, so it's harder to get away with. *Might* be some other shenanigans going on with business loans, taxes and bankruptcy but also might just be indecisive owners. Those serving cabinets and fryers really aren't cheap, so they might even just be moving them around a bit - my local chippy goes through weird cycles because the space is a little too small to allow dining in, but has a load of wasted space otherwise, so every year or two - generally when they're redecorating - they move the counter a metre forward or back to either gain more prep space behind the counter or more queueing space in front.

That's fair. I never quite understood why they didn't just move them - they definitely are taking out the equipment and reinstalling different equipment but they might just be moving it between sites.

More fun to imagine crimes though, poo poo-all ever happens around here except that one bloke who lives in a tent on the roundabout and sometimes wanders around with a machete.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That sounds like a fairly major happening, given the clutching of pearls that goes on on the Isle of Dogs FB group about people doing nitrous and the jogger who tries to start fights on the Blue Bridge. I'd imagine that sort of thing would cause actual pitchfork-and-torches mobs to appear around here.

It had the police helicopters out the one time he actually went into the estate agents and was aggressive about it. Mostly it's just Steve. He's more commonly to be seen with bows and arrows in military uniform he definitely should not be wearing. He needs help but he ain't going to get it. :/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

No mate that's probably parmesan. Cheese powder is a specific thing. You could mix up plain popcorn with Wotsits, I bet that'd be all right

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

poptions

but you can't rank them, they're only popinions

Sometimes this thread makes me so happy

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean children are probably lying to *her* 99% of the time because she's irrational and will react badly to honesty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I really want some root beer now. You'd think having an American boyfriend would mean a continual ready supply of root beer but noooo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

root beer is like mince pies. a lie

I'm going to fight you even though you're right

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've been playing Not for Broadcast lately and the news looks really different to me now. Reminds me of how it used to feel switching over after The Day Today and catching the last ten minutes of the 9 O'clock News.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Think of all the poor sheeps that would be hurt though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Argos are also having a clearance of a very well reviewed compressor humidifier: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8833578?clickSR=slp:term:dehumidifier:9:9:1

Thanks for this tipoff, I ordered one on my store card. I find that damp air makes me cough and feel miserable and we certainly do need to cut down our energy bills going forward so fingers crossed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

The distribution model that Argos use means I can’t get one, ironically; not delivering to SW17.

They’re delivering to my sister in Kent but of course she’s away for a bit so I guess after all that I’m not getting it. Can’t get it sent to her because she won’t be around to receive it.

I’m grateful that my profession (UX) is well enough paid ‘thanks’ to the pandemic that I can just about afford the hike, but I’d hoped to soften the blow a bit. I imagine they’re going to get very very expensive soon between supply chain fuckups and chip shortages.

Not being funny but I live near St Albans if you want to get it sent to me and then come and get it. I can stick it in my living room or something.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

4.5%? Virgin are whacking mine up ELEVEN percent, the absolute fuckers

And they had the gall to phone me yesterday and beg me to come back on their broadband, a conversation that went like this:

We can give you a better deal!
Oh yeah?
Yeah, what's your current plan?
*details EE plan*
Oh... yeah we can't beat that
*awkward silence*

Hahaha this happened to me when I switched from O2 to idMobile and posted on twitter about it. The O2 team contacted me all 'is there anything we can do to persuade you to stay?' and I told them I would stay if they could match 12 quid a month for unlimited data, and then they never got back to me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

what is so wrong with that?

'Yay now we can hire desperate people this war is great' is a gross take on the situation hth