Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there not some minimum width they have to make those? Does it comply? Send unbelievable that people would keep driving into it, but we'll they seem to. It's like a cartoon character drawing a tunnel entrance on a brick wall.

If I remember right these are a 7 foot restriction, which is wider than most of these kinds of things which are usually 6 foot 6 inches.

Basically it’s poor drivers who are both going too fast and do not know the width of their vehicle or road positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jippa posted:

I think if enough people crash into something in such a short space of time it probably means it's badly designed.

It’s a not particularly narrow width restriction on a straight road with good visibility. I get where you’re coming from but how many concessions should be made to people who simply aren’t very good at operating their vehicles?

In the video in the article aside from possibly the vans none of those cars should have had a problem getting through the restriction, especially what appears to be a Toyota Aygo which is one of the smallest cars on the market.

In nearly all cases the drivers have gone too far to the left (poor spatial awareness) and have gone too fast, so instead of a nasty scrape their car rides up the kerb and smacks into the bollard.

It’s automotive natural selection at this point really.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I wonder how long, in minutes, it'll take for them to complain about lorries using the road after the bollards are removed.

I think you could measure it in seconds.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 2, 2022

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean i'm not a driver, but is the problem not that the cars aren't slowing down enough?

Speed isn’t the root cause but it makes it exponentially worse as you have less time to make corrections and any potential impact damage is increased.

Lack of spatial awareness and a lack of understanding about one’s own vehicle size are the root cause. It’s also likely that the drivers involved are looking at the restriction rather than through it, so target fixation means they hit it instead.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Has your sense of taste / smell returned? Was worrying about this the other day, seems sort of important.

I wouldn’t worry about this too much tbh. I tested positive for COVID on the 27th of December and was able to end self isolation on the 5th of January.

As of writing this post my sense of smell still hasn’t returned.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lol decided to get some petrol on the way home from work as I’m down to 1/3 a tank and looks like panic buying queues are making a come back.

Im sure our press will report this in a responsible manner and will in no way stoke the fires of the situation further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

I've never tried the premium but my car eats loving E10 like it's me with a packet of mini eggs.

Is the cheap stuff false economy? I always assumed the premium was just for fancy weirdos with sports cars.

It really depends on your vehicle. Generally the more tuned/strung out an engine is the more it benefits, but how much is user perception as opposed to an actual real world difference is arguable. If there is an actual benefit, then you’d have to sit and do some maths to see if it’s enough to make up for the extra cost of premium.

For my own experience, my old 2007 MINI Cooper S was like a totally different car when using Shell V-Power. More power, better economy, ran better and absolutely worth the extra cost. My 2015 BMW 118i that came after it? Zero difference compared to normal fuel. My current car which is a 2017 320i seems to enjoy a slight improvement but it’s nowhere near enough to justify the cost.

With that being said I’ve not noticed any noticeable difference having switched to E10, so it seems to swing both ways.