Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

big scary monsters posted:

Speaking of ambiguously gendered TV characters, I finally got around to watching The Watch and I'm surprised I didn't see more complaints about it from the transphobes of Twitter considering the presentation of Vetinari and Cheery's character arc. Maybe they did complain but I was lucky enough not to see.

The show didn't 100% click with me but I thought it was a decent interpretation of Ankh-Morpork and the casting was good. I was pretty unhappy when Detritus dies in episode 2, even if there are hints he's not completely gone. More generally I had a bit of dissonance where familiar parts of the books were taken and moved and the timeline muddled, or elements from one story arc rearranged into another. Not that those are necessarily bad choices for the TV series, but if you've read and reread the books things just feel a bit off. If there's a second season I'll probably watch it, but I won't be too upset if there isn't one either.
I thought it was pretty okay too. I was suprised how much i grew to like the portrayal of vimes in particular.

It had its issues but I liked it a lot more than the Sky adaptations and less than the cosgrove hall cartoons. Stop motion Truckers remains the best pratchet tv adaptation imo.

Also i can attest that my terfy sister was in fact super, super mad about Cherry's portrayal, naturally she didn't watch the series at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah the Cheery of the TV show is not at all the Cheery of the books, and dwarfs in general were handled strangely. That's one of those things that would be fine as a standalone, but felt odd as someone who's read Discworld. The musical numbers were unexpectedly fun though.

In episode 1 I was pretty put off by Keith Flint as Vimes, but he definitely grew on me a lot. Haven't seen any other Pratchett TV adaptations, and it's been a long time since I read Truckers, but that sounds like something for a lazy afternoon some time.

e:

I agree, the best way to watch it is as its own thing. My partner hasn't read Discworld and enjoyed it a lot.
The cosgrove hall cartoons are worth a watch imo. Cosgrove hall is better remembered for stuff like dangermouse, and theres a definite budget feel to their animation. The the discworld adaptations suffer a bit from wonkey/dodgey animation but they got christopher lee to voice Death so who cares.

Their stop motion stuff is really, really charming. I grew up with their adaptation of the Wind in the Willows. David Jason as Mr Toad was great.

Truckers is a great fit for stop motion and a really great story in general. Looking back on it I really love how it handles religion. We see a population faced with the reality that their belief system is completely flawed and how they have to adapt and reshape it. The scene with the Abbot (voiced with incredible gravitas by Michael Hordern) talking to the Thing always sticks in my mind. This dying old religious figure, genuinely listening and expanding the cosmology of his beliefs to account for the fact that his 'god' was destroying what they had previously understood was all of creation.

Its also kinda wild watching a kids show from 1992, they didn't pull punches in how grim the opening of thecstory is at all.

Idk if its available streaming anywhere but it did get a dvd release a while back.

Also the theme tune is burned into by brain next to the one used in hitchhikers. That might just be my 90s nostalgia though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2e_SCHa8zw

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

sebzilla posted:

Truckers was definitely on YouTube a few years ago. I watched in a fit of nostalgia for the copies recorded off the telly onto VHS at my grandparents house (with one episode missing.)
Apparently the DVD is selling for like £50 now so I'm lucky i grabbed it for like £7 off play.com when it came out. I'd hope theres a decent dvd rip floating around somewhere. Maybe I should dig out and back up my copy...

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The 2013 snowpiercer movie is so good I didn't even notice I'd missed half the plot because the DVD i bought was from a region that assumed you understood korean so simply didn't include subtitles for all the korean dialog.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Convex posted:

This is also the case on Netflix, if you didn't enable subtitles then all the korean scenes were unsubbed. Maybe it's intentional?

Oh really? I assumed it wasn't supposed to be like that because of the business with the translator device. You hear only a couple of lines in the computer voice begore it fades away, it felt like you were supposed to accept that as the reason the characters could understand each other and move over to reading subtitles because waiting for the translator would ruin the pacing.

It was made for Koreans so maybe that was overlooked for the english release? My dvd is deffo some silly region though lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

if only there was a way for the car to drive itself through it
Isn't the point of these things to force drivers to slow down?

Designing a self driving car that can navigate these things with maximum efficiency is like designing a car that can jump over speedbumps to avoid slowing sown.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's fine if an ai tesla hits your child because the word 'WASTED' will simply appear on screen and they'll respawn outside the nearest hospital

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There was a recent example of a crypto scam buying one of jodorowsky's big books of dune and subsequently finding out that owning a copy of a book doesn't entitle you to create an animated feature based on it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
He did a bit about an offensive joke when i saw him live a while back. It got a shock laugh from the audience. It felt like the one bit of the show drawn from his own life and experiences though, everything else sounded like the scripted 'person say thing, i say clever thing back' stuff he does on tv. He broke the format and sat down at a desk, he read out an email he'd received. Then he just gave an insulting response and moved on to the next email. I don't know why i expected more lol.

The thing is, i like a poo poo one liner. I'm the kind of sicko that will happily groan along to a Tim Vine show. But Jimmy Carr's jokes are all the same format. Theres very little self deprication even when the joke relies on Jimmy being ignorant. Jimmy always 'wins' the joke anyway. Maybe thats the character he's playing but I can't stand the smug prick.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
This is all very darkly funny honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No its not good that is worked but its been loving obvious since the beginning that the oh so forensic electable Starmer has been in his position entirely at the grace of this country's press and when they want rid of him they'll tear him to shreds.

This is why all his work to appeal to sun readers has been a waste of time. They'll either be told to vote for him or not, he doesn't have a choice in the matter no matter how much he alienates left wing voters.