Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

The 2013 snowpiercer movie is so good I didn't even notice I'd missed half the plot because the DVD i bought was from a region that assumed you understood korean so simply didn't include subtitles for all the korean dialog.

This is also the case on Netflix, if you didn't enable subtitles then all the korean scenes were unsubbed. Maybe it's intentional?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The 3 Musketeers is like that. Apparently Mads Mikkelsen did not get the memo that this is the kind of film that James Corden is in, and turns in a genuinely good performance.

Orlando Bloom however made the brave acting choice to devour the entire loving set.

I think my favourite scene chewing is Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons. I haven't seen the movie, only compilations of his scenes, and they are all excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCGeOtjIHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Behold, the final boss battle of Britain: landlord vs fleg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/02/mod-given-ultimatum-to-drop-legal-action-against-firm-run-by-billionaire

quote:

MoD given ultimatum to drop legal action against firm run by billionaire

The landlord run by the billionaire Guy Hands’ private equity firm has issued the government a two-week ultimatum to drop legal action to take over 38,000 homes for military families and instead accept a one-off refurbishment payment of £105m.

The Ministry of Defence revealed last week it planned to bring the properties back under government control, 25 years after a privatisation deal that has been criticised by the National Audit Office, the government’s spending watchdog, as a waste of taxpayers’ money.

The landlord Annington’s offer would represent less than £2,800 per property, a figure that is thought to be unlikely to cover the costs of extensive repairs in some of the more dilapidated homes – and is lower than the MoD’s £140m spending on maintenance for a single year. It would also represent just over an eighth of what Annington paid out in a dividend to its parent company last year.

Lady Liddell, the Labour peer who chairs Annington, blamed the government’s Defence Infrastructure Organisation for failing to maintain the homes. She said her company, which owns 200-year leases on the properties, was “generously offering to put this right”.

In a letter sent on Tuesday evening to the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, and the defence procurement minister Jeremy Quin, Annington described the government’s attitude as “decidedly anti-business” and demanded the government accepted the deal and withdraw its legal action, or face a protracted court fight.

“It would be a shame to see money that could go to improving the houses being wasted on costly and lengthy legal action,” Liddell wrote.

quote:

The value of the properties has since surged to an estimated £7.6bn last year, leaving its private equity owners with an enormous paper profit. Yet the MoD is still paying about £180m a year in rent plus £140m in repairs and upgrades, despite taking back ownership of part of the portfolio. Annington insists it has offered to take on the maintenance, although it has not shared the financial terms of any offer.

The valuable income stream backed by the portfolio has helped Annington to raise billions of pounds from investors in bond issues. That included an £800m debt issue in October that allowed it to pay a dividend of £794m to its parent company.

The government is seeking to exercise “statutory leasehold enfranchisement rights”, Quin told parliament last week. The MoD has sought to take back only two houses at first as test cases to see whether Annington can be forced out. Annington claims the government has no right to do so.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

You have no way of knowing what kind of horse-trading is happening behind the scenes. He might have been offered a cabinet post or a timeshare option in an underage boy

why would a tory be interested in sharing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

bump_fn posted:

cool just got harassed by two border control pigs while waiting for my flight at the airport

What happened?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

notaspy posted:

Has Squadron 42 or whatever it's called got into the NFT game? They are the OG jpeg sellers

Not quite, they instead cancelled the roadmap saying the fans were unreasonable in expecting the features to actually be programmed into the game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nERcHvQFrg

Welcome to Westminster, 47.

Your target is Alexander Johnson, also known as 'Boris', leader of the Conservative Party and Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Ever the populist, Johnson rose to fame by attacking racial minorities and relentlessly sowing division within party ranks to serve his own political agenda. Whilst successful beyond all apparent reason, it appears this approach may have finally come up short.

Our client, a consortium of media barons, business leaders and leading politicians, have become frustrated that Johnson is no longer willing to abide by the terms of their funding agreement. Unusually, the board have agreed to abide a specific request: the target is not to be harmed. Instead, their reputation must be annihilated beyond all repair. In particular, the client has instructed you to ensure that no blame is apportioned to any other cabinet members.

A source from within Downing Street has also provided a list of breadcrumbs that may prove useful, 47. Be aware, however, that Johnson is certainly no stranger to dirty tricks, and may well have prepared countermeasures of his own... just be careful not to burn the house down.

Good luck, 47.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Memories are weird.

The worst part is realising a memory you've convinced yourself was true is actually complete bollocks, and it happens more regularly the older you get :corsair:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's loving incredible

jfc it's real :stonk:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't approve of tattoos, they're horrid.

you're horrid

edit: unless you're referring to that weird russian duo from 20 years ago in which case :hmmyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's funny how it keeps getting more expensive to live in this increasingly poo poo country

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Came across this little bit of dystopia when I went to look at that crypto article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60264106

quote:

A huge list of names was passed to the Home Office which revoked the visa of anybody with an invalid test. It wasn't until 2017 that people in Toeic cases won the right to appeal in Britain.

In 2016, two years after the deportations started, ETS began providing alleged cheats with their test recordings.

Shakil Rathore's story raises the question of how many before then might have proved their innocence if they had also been given this key evidence. The audio, which supposedly showed the 50-year-old civil engineer had cheated, actually proved the opposite.

When we listened to his test recording there was no mistaking the distinctive stutter. "Yes, it's my voice," he exclaimed.

Mr Rathore struggled for three years to get hold of the recording. Even then the Home Office only withdrew its allegation after he had paid for an expert report confirming it was his voice.

Another man waited six years for his test recording to be played in court. The judge ruled it was obviously his voice and criticised officials for never having compared the two.

In fact, most people who received a test recording found it didn't contain their voice, which appeared to support claims that they had cheated. Digital forensics expert Professor Peter Sommer said: "What seems to have happened is that the voice files became somehow separated from the individuals."

However, it was impossible to verify the files were what ETS said they were because they contained no electronic metadata showing when and where they were created.

Nomi Raja discovered significant errors in the allegations against him: "It says that I'm a Bangladeshi national. But I'm from Pakistan. It also says the test centre was in Leicester, and I gave my exam in London."

When after five years his appeal was heard the judge ruled there was "no case for him to answer".

'Hostile environment' sounds about right :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

What naivety! No, the last round is debtors prisons, where you work for free.

lol at this. The last stage is the infinite torture machine in michael gove's basement

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:stonklol:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

dr_rat posted:

You'd think the UK government would know better then sending in anyone in their current cabinet to any meeting that was actually important.

We don't have a government atm, it's actually the next series of The Apprentice

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lol at the state of everything

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
#DickOut trending amuses me

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I think loads of cities don't have a Batman.

I think the position being unpaid may have something to do with it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Doesn't he mostly just beat up the mentally unwell?

He mostly beats up goons that are just trying to make ends meet. Probably has a little plugin on his batscanner that highlights the ones that don't have health insurance so he can really go hog wild

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Joe Biden’s mother so disliked England she refused to sleep in bed Queen had slept in

quote:

Joe Biden once revealed his mother so disliked England that she chose to sleep on the floor rather than in a bed in which the Queen of England had previously slept, according to an autobiography written by a comedian.

Georgia Pritchett claims the US leader made the revelation when they met in the White House during his period as vice-president. Pritchett met him because she was conducting research for the hit comedy Veep, on which she had been a co-executive producer and joint writer. They were also making a film tie-in of the show.

Pritchett, who is British, records that her initial conversation with Biden was about Ukraine – from which he had just returned – but this was closed down by his minders.

She wrote: “He changed the subject to how much his mother hated the English. His parents were Irish and she had written several poems about her hatred of the English. He went off to find them and returned with hundreds of poems describing how God must smite the English and rain blood on our heads.”

He also recalled how his mother, Catherine Finnegan – known as Jean – visited the UK and spent a night in a hotel where, she was told, the Queen had once stayed.

“She was so appalled that she slept on the floor all night, rather than risk sleeping on a bed that the Queen had slept on,” Pritchett wrote, adding she personally admired anyone who allowed their principles to take precedence over a comfortable bed.

lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

oh cool, didn't realise we were getting a sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0tsV2p3svM

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

That was why I was there, was trying to get in with a gaming company that turned into DMA Design that then turned into Rockstar.
In some alt universe I made a GTA game.

I'd love a GTA game in the Lemmings universe

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Another cloudy day in this glorious hellscape...

I thought I'd gone to the limits. I hadn't. The Conservatives gave me an experience beyond limits... pain and pleasure, indivisible...

...we have such sights to show you...

:cenobite:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lol not sure what happened there, logged in and saw a picture of Liz Truss then just woke back up 30 minutes later, like it never happened. Looks like I made a post earlier? Strange!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Great news everyone, we found another magic money tree!

HMRC seizes NFT for first time in £1.4m fraud case

quote:

The UK tax authority has seized three Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT) as part of a probe into a suspected a VAT fraud involving 250 alleged fake companies.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) said three people had been arrested on suspicion of attempting to defraud it of £1.4m.

The authority said it was the first UK law enforcement to seize an NFT.

NFTs are assets in the digital world that can be bought and sold, but which have no tangible form of their own.

The digital tokens, which emerged in 2014, can be thought of as certificates of ownership for virtual or physical assets. NFTs have a unique digital signature so they can be bought and sold using traditional currency or crypto currency, such as Bitcoin.

Where Bitcoin has been hailed as a digital answer to currency, NFTs have been touted as the digital answer to collectables, but plenty of sceptics fear they're a bubble waiting to burst.

HMRC said the suspects in its fraud case were alleged to have used "sophisticated methods" to try to hide their identities including false and stolen identities, false addresses, pre-paid unregistered mobile phones, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), false invoices and pretending to engage in legitimate business activities.

Nick Sharp, deputy director economic crime, said the first seizure of an NFT "serves as a warning to anyone who thinks they can use crypto assets to hide money from HMRC".

"We constantly adapt to new technology to ensure we keep pace with how criminals and evaders look to conceal their assets."

HMRC said it had secured a court order to detain the seized crypto assets worth about £5,000 and three digital artwork NFTs, which have not been valued, while its investigation continues.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

Is "angloid" an actual word?

I think they were the baddies in one of the Colin Baker series

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

The problem with capitalism is you eventually run out of other people's assets.

This is when one simply legalises slavery and trades people as a commodity

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Round here you'd be lucky to get half a bun and a “sorry we missed you” card for the patty

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl4V5VNf_cE&t=22s

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
London’s smallest microflat up for sale at £50,000 for 7 square metres

quote:

The owner has already recouped their investment by getting £800 in rent each month. The current tenant lives elsewhere for most of the time and spends just a night or two each week in the flat as it is closer to work.

The auction minimum is well below the average deposit for first-time buyers in London, which Halifax calculated at £130,357 in 2020, but Neal Hudson, a housing analyst, warned that first-time buyers should be aware it is not sustainable to live in a tiny flat long-term and that if they are unable to sell they could find themselves stuck.

The price is a powerful symbol of how inaccessible housing has become. The TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp recently irked millennials by suggesting they could afford to buy their own homes if they spent less on the gym, easyJet flights, coffee and Netflix. Critics have pointed out that when she bought her first flat, the average home cost £50,000 and measured 73.4 sq m – 10 times bigger than the Clapton flat.

normal country

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

wait is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 out already??

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
watch out everyone!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK citizens were ‘not fully informed on implications of Brexit’, EU report concludes

quote:

“British citizens had scant knowledge about the European Union and were not adequately informed about the far-reaching consequences of the decision to leave the union,” the report said.

“Citizens were never given a clear picture of the relationship that their country would have with the EU once it left, and were often misled about the implications of the withdrawal, especially as regards Northern Ireland.”

MEPs regretted the “restraint and limited engagement of the European Parliament and its committees in the run-up to the UK referendum”, saying it had left UK citizens “without full access to information on the functioning of the EU and the implications of the withdrawal”.

quote:

MEPs said “misinformation” had influenced the UK’s vote to leave and warned that future referendums were at risk of “disinformation, foreign interference and funding irregularities”.

The report said Brussels had achieved its “key aims” in the Brexit talks through EU unity in the face of a British “rejection of the obligations linked to EU membership”. It praised the bloc for swiftly identifying its objectives of securing the financial settlement, or “Brexit bill”, protecting the rights of citizens and the circumstances of Ireland.

In contrast, it attacked the UK Government for failing to plan for Brexit, which it said raised “the spectre” of no deal.

“The political and economic consequences of the decision to leave the union are significant,” the non-binding report said. “These were not genuinely and fully assessed by the UK prior to its decision to withdraw.”

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Good news, we can be foie gras eating, fur wearing bourgeoisie again...

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1494963657821851650

backsliding is fun! :shepicide:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
There are a lot of CeXs about these days as well. I wonder how profitable an enterprise that is given the rents, but I suppose the mark-ups on trade-ins is pretty massive. Can't see that business continuing to be successful now Tescos et al are phasing out Blu Rays and physical games seem to be almost dead.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

It always baffles me how busy these areas still are given that there's just not that much to do there anymore. I'm sure a lot of tourists are still drawn there but most of the time Oxford Street and TCR are completely rammed. What are these people doing? Surely they can't all be there for H&M and Pizza Express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_EviQj5tvA&t=93s

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please do not kick back during an anal adventure, that's how knees get broken.

#susanalbumparty

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've got quite a lot on at the moment, a nuclear war would be incredibly inconvenient. I hope they can wait at least a year to when I think I'll be a little less busy.

I think we're expecting Russia to complete the Chronosphere by 2024 so you might be able to get around to a few things then

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Good day to bury some bad news! Best way to grow the economy is simply to indebt its citizens. very smart country

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I still have the NHS Covid app running on my phone (for all the good its done) and it just buzzed me a new notification

'COVID-19 Restrictions have been removed in England'

Woo, we beat the pandemic guys!

So it's "The Purge" but with COVID laws, great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if Elden Ring will unlock before the lights go out