Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

gently caress me will these people ever stop giving him exactly to the letter the media coverage he wants?

Saville is the ultimate dead cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

It does feel sometimes like Eddie Izzard is taking the piss, especially with the whole "I don't care about pronouns and JKR isn't transphobic" thing, but I don't know enough about whether that was a fair representation of what they said, only that it did understandably cause upset.

Why Glinner cares so much about whether Eddie Izzard is a woman or not is a different matter.

On the Joe Rogan podcast with Eddie (loving excellent interview) Eddie says that a large part of why she (I think she recently decided to take she pronouns?) enjoyed wearing wearing clothes from the "women's" section in the 70's was she got a kick out of getting in fights with bigots when she went out.

She talks a lot about being trans in the 70's in that interview. She doesn't say it explicitly but the "izzard" seems like a major ingredient in what made it possible for her to come out. The poetic justice of decking fash while wearing a dress was 20 year old Eddie's idea of a good night out.

e: basically yes/no Eddie Izzard is taking the piss. Hyper-confrontationalism mixed with giving less than 0 fucks about what others think is partly why she was able to come out in the first place.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 1, 2022

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Prole posted:

Lmao this Savile stuff is going to run and run and the Labour Right are so thick and politically gormless that they have absolutely no idea how to deal with it beyond yelling "It's not true! It's not it's not it's not!!" I know it's loving childish but I'm all for watching the same shifty half-arsed smears the bastards used on Corbyn drag Keith into forever being remembered as a nonce apologist. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

:thunkgun:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

It's not even just "poors" - energy rises is enough to bother a lot of the middle class too

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Gove is frustrating. I get the sense that if he ever expressed his genuine views on any subject ever he would be a great MP and cabinet member but he is surrounded by cunts and has professionalised pretending to be one to fit in

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Seems odd to imagine that he isn't just one, or that there is a difference between consistently "pretending" to be a thing and just being a thing.

There isn't a difference. I'm not defending gove.

Spangly A posted:

He won't express his genuine views because he's aware that they will cost him votes and deniability

He's a closeted gay man who likes to enjoy himself but cannot admit it because he chose a life of pandering to cunts.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Miftan posted:

Isn't there some sort of rumours about Gove being the most racist MP in the entire tory party?

Citation needed

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Spangly A posted:

ok

Do you just not remember this?

(Ken Clarks hot mic)

Liam Fox "raised eyebrows" over foreign policy is a loving long way from "one of the most racist tories"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I've heard from someone who worked with Gove at the Department for environment that he genuinely gave a poo poo about green policy, listened and worked extremely hard to the surprise of absolutely everyone.

I'm willing to agree that 1) there is no difference between parroting the views of cunts for self service/preservation and actually being one 2) he probably actually is one anyway so whatever, but the idea that he might be "the most racist tory" is a big loving claim and needs to be based on something

Labour can't even keep nonce-protecting out of the papers, ffs. We are stuck with these people. Having a vague mental hierarchy of what a oval office they all are is kinda useful.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

what possible practical use can be gained of ranking all the Tories in a league table of most to least cunty

comedy tier-list content of course

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Miftan posted:

Let me just get you a citation for that rumour I heard about once, sure.

2 other posters have found stuff that is relevant and interesting

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

this is, uh, quite a deviation from "Gove would actually be a really good MP"

I'm happy to stand corrected.

In a different party,
In a different country
given different views
from a different education
under a different electoral system
In the right department
In a different universe
"Gove would actually be a really good MP"

seemed like 1 too many qualifiers to pursue an argument into the second page - so I'm reverting to default low-content shitposting

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Pretty sure the Saville comment was just cover for implementing the new policy of fire/rehire right to the top. also 500 other loving appalling things Boris is getting done before handing over the reigns to Rishi or whoever.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

don't forget to not ask for a payrise to cover your £240 hike in future bills.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Why are energy prices going up?

Loads of energy companies went bust last year, was this because they were capped on how much they were allowed to charge and had to pay way more wholesale? I wasn't paying much attention

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

Energy prices are in part going up because loads of energy companies went bust last year. 10% of the increase is due to bailing out.

Can we just... not?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

But won't you think of the shareholder value?

They will be fine. After all "Stock Trading Thread: There's lots of support at 0"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Govetalk :yarg:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/04/michael-gove-acted-on-bogus-allegations-of-islamist-plot-to-take-over-birmingham-schools

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Boris obviously hired her from Chris Morris' agency for thick people to win arguments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFQZFL0yoo

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

lol this rules, I really do need to actually watch Jam, I keep remembering to and then forgetting again

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0Ocau-CUg

haha that parody is spot on, especially the punch line. Some of jam didn't age well, there's enough (trigger warning) rape jokes and other shock comedy fillers between the bits of genius.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Every public figure I have ever had a crush on is a monster, even the ones I previously thought were good or at least just neutral, lol

https://twitter.com/VictoriaCoren/status/1490042865099190273?s=19

If my personal friend made a poo poo joke in bad taste, I would defend them publicly too, as long as I was confident in my judgement to count them as a friend.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Carr just wrote a bad joke.

When your style of comedy involves circling the drain, you have to not slip.

The price is a public apology and a serious think about what effect slipping has. His friends defending him presumably think he's capable of it.

This whole lapse in judgement = bad person thing is loving dumb and does worse than nothing for the cause of building a movement based on actually caring about the impact you have on the world.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Argentinians are wildy nationalist about it. Its a major point of pain for them.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

There's a museum to british concentration camps on Cyprus I saw a while ago which was super striking to me as the first time I'd seen a memorial to British war crimes.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Oh you hadn't visited the British museum? Definitely check it out before China starts making them give all the stuff back

No i haven't, but presumably it's presented very differently. "look at this interesting exotic artifact" vs "The british starved 200 ottoman POW here to death in 1917 before repurposing them to detain jews bound for palestine in the second world war" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaolos_prisoner_of_war_camp

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

sinky posted:

:ironicat:

x

Joking about exterminating Roma: Very bad
Actually exterminating Roma: Manifesto pledge

:confuoot:

s.s.s.s.snowflakes? I thought... wait... :torygov:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

bump_fn posted:

the stock market isn’t about dividend payouts anymore and hasn’t been for a while it’s about buying a stock becaus you think someone else will buy it from you later for more money. pure speculative assets and tulip futures

The stock market has been a dumping ground for printed money from "quantative easing" since 2008. We're starting to see "inflation" elsewhere in the economy but only because inflation is measured arbitrarily on certain indicators and not things like house/stock/bond markets.

Seeing inflation elsewhere suggests cash leaving these types of assets to me (in my internet armchair) and indicative that we might finally see a crash on markets that have been on life support for 14 years

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Front page zinger

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

e: wrong

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

If even a single journalist did their loving job and tugged on this thread, the tory party would disintegrate if the full Saville story unravelled.

It's a "false claim" in the sense that if the Saville thing was investigated properly the fall out would end many careers and put a bunch of sitting lords behind bars. Whether it's a False Claim, in the sense that it isn't actually true that Starmer could have actually made all that happen I have no idea. Would be curious to know.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Theres nothing good about poo poo slinging like this. Politicians throwing it at each other get it everywhere.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Ooops. That's embarrassing.

Well played :)

In other news, I've just had this photo of Nadine and her first husband pop up on my radar. She certainly goes for a type, doesn't she?

Nothing like a game of smell my finger with the missus. Who's the bloke?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

If he wanted to, could Starmer press libel charges?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

So speaking of Robocop, I saw this tweet about one of Kurtwood Smith's scenes. I found it hilarious.

https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/1199081450831851520?t=R7GY6gU7aPrIM7wo5EFoBQ&s=19

Ah the Joe rogan defence *takes notes

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Good thread from 2020 on stuff the Conservatives have yet to wheel out against Starmer:

https://twitter.com/ciabaudo/status/1246784176990404610?s=21

Just to be devil's advocate.. is it possible to have that job and not have an enormous skeleton closet packed to the brim with failings of various kinds?

No idea if it is comparable but Kamala Harris has this problem in the US where she was likely the most progressive DA that the system spat out ever but is constantly attacked about poo poo she could have done.

I don't want to derail into details about her. But it's not like public prosecuters have unlimited power they are pretty beholden right?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Private Speech posted:

For all it is a scam I still regret not getting on board when all my friends were into it back in early 2010s.

why, it's just a pyramid scam that took off. It's not like you regret not getting into every other pyramid scam that didn't, on the off chance you could have gotten out in time

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It's the only plausible way she's ever fought racism in the UK.

maybe she once tutted about boris in private :shrug:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

In the show 'Travelers', this is exactly how the time travellers make their money. Because they can't bring anything back with them they have travellers who train from birth to be a 'historian', who learns things like stock market events, lottery numbers, baseball scores - anything you could make money from - for their funding.

time travel fiction is very... :actually:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

For my next fresh hot take exclusive for this comedy forum...

If Jimmy Carr's joke gets widespread attention to Roma persecution, is he really doing wrong?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/09/add-genocide-of-gypsies-to-national-curriculum-say-charities

In answer to my own question - jokes like that are aimed a liberals but get heard very different by racists and can be empowering. I can kinda see there may be good, if naïve/misguided, intentions in it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

The well-spoken outrageous phrase is literally the joke.

The set up and delivery is just riffing on the two ad nauseam.

It's little wonder it isn't funny after 20 years or whatever and he feels he has to go more outrageous because he cant go more well spoken