Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Idk but maybe the people who write these breathless, one-hand written articles about fantasy nuclear wars don't actually know what they're talking about

I think when it comes to nuclear war nobody knows what they're talking about. (Offer valid for the next 2 minutes only)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So I think I might have Mr. Bean'd my way to the best-cooked bit of beef I have ever eaten. Barely needed to carve it, a sharp word would have been enough to slice it, and despite being just a cheap generic Asda rolled joint it tasted like steak. Now part of this might have been I was bloody starving by the time I ate it but genuinely I've not cooked myself anything this good in *years*, probably since I last hosted Christmas and splashed out on a proper joint from Smithfield.

I wonder actually if the sear after letting the salt and pepper sit on it for half an hour, then effectively just resting it for another half hour after the sear, might have been what did the trick - a lot of the outside fat had soaked down into the joint by the time I did the actual cooking, I might have to play around with this a bit.

Have you ever tried sousvide?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have, and even bought a dedicated heater for it, but it's such a faff to set up and while the results are good I don't feel like they justify said faff (especially as I'm loath to leave anything that gets hot running in the house without me also in the house, so it effectively locks me in all day).

You can also use sousvide for shorter times but then with better pieces. All those 10 hours at 70 are ok once in a while, but just doing that roast for 1-2 hours at 54 is also perfect!