Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

lmao @ "technically it was not my fault, you can't prove it was my fault"

Surely if your the head, you are ultimately responsible for the work of your employees, particularly high-profile cases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Desiderata posted:

Like I said, you can decide when a story starts and ends and use that to tell any story you want in terms of heroes villains and moral consequence. You can feel righteous about it if that comforts you. It's not going to help you understand what is happening and why, other than how those stories can be used to move people. That is why history is terrible consequence after terrible consequence.

But it is why you should take their fear seriously, it is as real a motivator as you can have.

I think I compared this to Iran else where. You can condemn Iran for trying to develop Nuclear weapons, but from their perspective it's 100% a rational action. Iraq gave up WMDs- they get invaded. Libya gives up it's WMD programme and gets invaded. Syria- kept it's chemical weapons and survived. Iran does a deal with US, and the US immediately tears it up and starts assassinating top generals and scientists. North Korea gets nukes, they get a face to face negotiations with the US President.

In Russia's case no nation has ever willingly allowed itself to be surrounded by a economic or military pact expressly targeting itself or sat by and allowed it's own sphere to be shrunk. (See the US in central or South America for example) The US/Nato expressly agreed they wouldn't expand into former Warsaw/Soviet bloc countries. They did. In this context Russia's actions make sense, it doesn't make those actions good, right or just. But their not completely insane or stupid from a self preservation point of view.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 12, 2022

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I thought the purpose of Brexit was that Eastern Europe discussions wouldn't enter the UK thread :thunk:

The UK currently has troops helping Poland commit crimes against refugees trying to enter the EU. So I'm just as confused as you.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't understand how dentistry justifies being exempt from the 'free at the point of service' part of the nhs charter, either morally or historically.

The Labour Party decided the costs of fixing teeth & glasses was too much, so cut it. Of course once the precedent was set tories took full advantage.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

"Just come to the negotiating table stop being unreasonable.... no of course those old agreements don't count, lol"

I wonder why no one trusts the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The full annexation route seems like a guaranteed way to spend 10+ years fighting a civil war on your door step.