Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1488491848108814341?t=QamHpK5ymA-5op3QxGeRNw&s=19

I'm starting to suspect that Parliamentary procedure is a load of bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Phillby posted:

The 2013 snowpiercer movie is so good I didn't even notice I'd missed half the plot because the DVD i bought was from a region that assumed you understood korean so simply didn't include subtitles for all the korean dialog.

One episode of Breaking Bad has like 20 minutes of Spanish dialogue and the version I downloaded (before it was all on Netflix) didn't have subtitles. I assumed that it wasn't supposed to since the scene does such a good job of conveying what's going on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Looks like Jimmy Carr might finally get the cancelling that he's so pathetically desperate for if this continues:

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1489651611509170179?t=D4OOX2JbLPCQaXz_zbJDxg&s=19

Fwiw the special was out months ago so it's weird it's only just been noticed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Insurers often send cheques as a first option, partly because it's cheaper and less admin to use an automated process than gathering someone's account details, partly because there's a chance they just won't be cashed for whatever reason.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Question IRL posted:

Ah, so Queen Elizabeth died in 2003 but the recording label couldn't let it go public, for some reason.

Billy Shears has been looking for a new gig.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: bad for trains, bad for trans.

And trans trains? Fuhgeddaboudit

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Best thing Khan's done since starting the job?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"My tenure has been perfect. Stop complaining. Fine I'll step down if it'll shut you up, baby."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

oxford_town posted:

https://twitter.com/nazirafzal/status/1494268977832415232?s=20&t=vWcvrr5YqrMzxxeIw8olAg

not actually saying anything new, but saying it in a Tough On Crime way

Aren't you absolutely not supposed to shoot people wearing suicide vests? TV has taught me there's usually a dead man's switch and a million other ways it could go off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aipsh posted:

https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/clubs-bars/bars/10512-secret-weapon

secret weapon! That's what it was. I think it changed before the pandemic which was before the last time I was there. I hope it's less uh...unclean now

I really miss that place - I've not been back since it changed hands so I don't know how it's held up but it was a great little grot hole.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

https://twitter.com/ianvisits/status/1495359773889470468

Well that's just kinda depressing.

These American Candy shops have to be a front, right? There's hundreds of them in Glasgow, in pretty prime locations, they're never busy so I've no idea how they afford to stay open.

Last time I was in Oxford street I tried to count how many there were between the station and Tottenham Court Road. I think I lost count at 15 or so, all empty.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, all the little camera and electronics shops have gone from Tottenham Court Road. I should feel some schad that the block between the YMCA and the Odeon that got cleared out for ~PREMIUM RETAIL SPACE~ is still almost entirely unoccupied 5 years after they closed down Shah's and all the other shops that were the heart of the street, but it's just sad that what *is* there is just absolutely generic high street chains, because I've seen what's happened to literally every other high street that's gone that way, and nobody's going into Zone 1 to visit Flying Tiger and Games Workshop.

It always baffles me how busy these areas still are given that there's just not that much to do there anymore. I'm sure a lot of tourists are still drawn there but most of the time Oxford Street and TCR are completely rammed. What are these people doing? Surely they can't all be there for H&M and Pizza Express.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm trying to think of who's ever actually been 'cancelled' for anything other than really heinous poo poo like holocaust denial or being a lunatic bellend like Laurence Fox. Like, a bunch of people hate Rowling cos of her terfery, but its not like her books have been taken off the shelves in shops.

Just a bunch of cunts constantly banging on about a problem which doesn't actually exist.

Real cancellation isn't something that affects celebrities. If you're famous you're insulated from all but the worst of accusations - and even then you either get a cancellation tour and a new far right fanbase or you quietly retreat from public life and continue living a life of luxury without any obligations.

It's the "normal" people or the very mildly well known who say something a bit thoughtless or ill conceived on Twitter that are at risk of having their lives ruined if it gets picked up by the wrong people or goes viral.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm pretty sure Bill Bailey is on several lists of "woke SJW comedians to be ignored".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jedit posted:

No, I'm referring to the time he did a literal "ching chong Chinaman" bit live on stage. I personally saw him do it.

Seems to be the same bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmgXqvTKlnY

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Normal Island irony machine is working overtime. The Queen making headlines by working while unwell before dying on freedom day 3.0, you couldn't make it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I read it the other way - like all the Deliveroo guys have been pissing and making GBS threads in his toilet and he's pleading with them to stop

Either delivery drivers are all conspiring to use his house as a toilet for a joke or he really wants them to. Either way I'm happy.